A Day Thoughts/Observations

Barnacle

8 hours ago, tsande07 said:

I also would have liked to see more of the other QBs. My intuition is that Loy can command more of the new offense at this moment. The coaches appear to be favoring the ability to run more plays and get good reps for the other guys on the field for the time being, which probably makes sense in the Spring. 

Unfortunately, Loy appears to be wildly inaccurate, making him unsuitable in the longer term as the backup QB. I see D. Davis passing him up either during the fall camp or early in the season as the #2, although if Bo stays healthy they'll have an interesting decision to make concerning Davis' redshirt.

I think you nailed it. Low and Nix played the most probably because they are ahead of the other QBs in being able to actually understand the offense and run plays. Harsin said as much in an interview that Nix was waaay ahead of the others in understanding the offense. I believe the quote said that Harsin has asked Bo to ask fewer questions to give the young guys a chance to speak up. And it is in no way a knock on the younger guys that they are behind. Bo and Loy have played more football and at the college level so they have been exposed to more. It would be very surprising had the young guys come in understanding the offense better than the older ones. 

Remember this is not the Gus offense where we have 10 plays and every action and decision is predetermined when the play is called. I think it would have been a bad sign if DD just walked onto campus and started getting the 2nd team reps after a couple of weeks. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Harsin has asked Bo to ask fewer questions

This has become my favorite kind of thing to hear about a player. You almost expect it from your QB but still great to read.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I think you nailed it. Low and Nix played the most probably because they are ahead of the other QBs in being able to actually understand the offense and run plays. Harsin said as much in an interview that Nix was waaay ahead of the others in understanding the offense. I believe the quote said that Harsin has asked Bo to ask fewer questions to give the young guys a chance to speak up. And it is in no way a knock on the younger guys that they are behind. Bo and Loy have played more football and at the college level so they have been exposed to more. It would be very surprising had the young guys come in understanding the offense better than the older ones. 

Remember this is not the Gus offense where we have 10 plays and every action and decision is predetermined when the play is called. I think it would have been a bad sign if DD just walked onto campus and started getting the 2nd team reps after a couple of weeks. 

I agree but I saw enough of DD to know he will be QB2 by the time we come out of fall camp and play our 1st game.  He throws a nice ball the one long pass was pretty and he has escapability (new word that fits what he can do) which he needed behind 2nd team O-Line. 

While play calling was pretty vanilla I saw a few new Wrinkles the multi-Tight End sets, the well developed screen to Tank as they expand this Offense I can see it being an improvement over last year.  I saw improved D-Line play players were bigger and stronger then last year and did a much better job of sealing the edge. Last years team got beat on the Edge a lot. The DB's played tight coverage and considering it was a new defense not to many busted plays. The interior O-Line especially the guards were physical in the run game and actually got some push. Tank and Shivers are both really good RB's, the extra weight improved Shivers game at 5'7" 190 he is now an every down back if needed. 

The biggest things I took away from this game was how hard and physical both sides played and there were no major breakdowns considering we are running a new O and multiple variations of D that are much different to previous D that we ran. 

• Like 3

Did Chayil Garnett even play?  I don't really recall him in the game

24 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Yes.  Towards the end after Pate.  

Damn after a walk on

13 hours ago, fredst said:

You’re right, it never happened and I made it all up. Sorry to clutter up the board with all its other erudite content, lol

Good answer, when there is no such post, and no basis in fact for making such a statement.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Good answer, when there is no such post, and no basis in fact for making such a statement.

Here’s an example. I won’t quote, I’ll just copy and paste to not give the imbeciles too much public exposure. You just keep being obtuse because I know that’s your shtick:

Are you sure? That can’t possibly be the case because Bobo and Harsin are coaching the O now.

Edited by fredst
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, fredst said:

Here’s an example. I won’t quote, I’ll just copy and paste to not give the imbeciles too much public exposure. You just keep being obtuse because I know that’s your shtick:

Are you sure? That can’t possibly be the case because Bobo and Harsin are coaching the O now.

Care to add a little context? Sure of what? Bobo and Harsin coaching the offense is a good thing, at least most of us hope it is.

How is that defending Gus or taking shots at the new staff?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Care to add a little context? Sure of what? Bobo and Harsin coaching the offense is a good thing, at least most of us hope it is.

How is that defending Gus or taking shots at the new staff?

The context is in the thread that you said you had looked through. Again, I understand you enjoy being contrarian and obtuse, that’s your thing. It was more entertaining when you were being the resident expert on roster management for LBs and OL. Absurd but entertaining. Maybe you can just go back to doing that. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

The context is in the thread that you said you had looked through. Again, I understand you enjoy being contrarian and obtuse, that’s your thing. It was more entertaining when you were being the resident expert on roster management for LBs and OL. Absurd but entertaining. Maybe you can just go back to doing that. 

I did read every post as they came up, once daily for the most part. I do not recall any defense of Gus or shots taken at the new staff in this thread. If you won't be courteous enough to identify such posts I'm left to assume that they don't exist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I did read every post as they came up, once daily for the most part. I do not recall any defense of Gus or shots taken at the new staff in this thread. If you won't be courteous enough to identify such posts I'm left to assume that they don't exist.

Ok. Courtesy has nothing to do with it, just don’t want to rehash the whole page or two for context. The quoted post was a veiled shot at the new staff by one of the hard line Gus defenders. Or, maybe I’m just being overly sensitive. Moving on, you keep doing your “thing”

Edited by fredst

41 minutes ago, fredst said:

You just made me lol in the or prep section in the hospital......I hope you're happy

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

I know it was just A-day but I'm finally coming to terms with the need to temper expectations going into this coming season. We are strong at RB but the rest of the offense still has a long way to go. Defense did pretty well but I was really hoping to see more dominance from the group than what we got. Run fits looked pretty good but I did not see a disrupter on the D-line like we are going to need. Hard for me to tell what the secondary is going to do mainly because I think the passing game needs A LOT of work. Still a long time to go before game 1. With all that said I will be transferring from "Team Darkhorse" to "Team 8+ and look competitive".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, fredst said:

Ok. Courtesy has nothing to do with it, just don’t want to rehash the whole page or two for context. The quoted post was a veiled shot at the new staff by one of the hard line Gus defenders. Or, maybe I’m just being overly sensitive. Moving on, you keep doing your “thing”

Rest assured, he will. He is determined to be the absolute worst he can be, and he will gladly and aggressively exploit any enabling towards that end that he is afforded. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You just made me lol in the or prep section in the hospital......I hope you're happy

82357D01-952D-4D90-B4ED-DEF62EB5443C.gif
And, good luck. Let us know how things go

Edited by fredst
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Rest assured, he will. He is determined to be the absolute worst he can be, and he will gladly and aggressively exploit any enabling towards that end that he is afforded. 

Worst is in the eye of the beholder. Look in the mirror before you post such criticism which is not necessary just because you don't agree with someone else's opinion.

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, fredst said:

Care to share who that is. Just curious since I also missed it.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Spoke with Jaren Handy tonight. I didn't get any details as to why he wasn't dressed at A-day, but he assured he is with the team, will be with the team, all is well, and they are busting humps right now to collect later. Also said He loves the new D scheme. Just thought I would share. 

Great news. Thx for sharing.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2021 at 9:58 AM, W.E.D said:

Hopefully Davis plays enough to get some experience, but whatever the rule is that keeps his RS season in tact.

I hope Harsin can't count beyond 4.

On 4/21/2021 at 3:18 PM, Proud Tiger said:

Worst is in the eye of the beholder. Look in the mirror before you post such criticism which is not necessary just because you don't agree with someone else's opinion.

Please shut up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1