New Swimming and Diving Coach

gabo4au

2 hours ago, swimmama said:

I don’t know about this search but I do know that after Bret left that David wanted to return but was not considered. 

That ABSOLUTELY baffles me. That should be a no brainer for the AD. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blakem said:

That ABSOLUTELY baffles me. That should be a no brainer for the AD. 

Marsh has a lot more baggage than he used to.  I trust Allen to do his thing.  

A poster on TOS said that Marsh wanted to bring another National Championship winning head coach with him on his staff, and AG balked because it was outside the budget. That’s hard for me to believe that we would turn down almost guaranteed National Championships because they were “outside the budget”. Especially since we just paid 20 million dollars to fire a football coach.

I would love to know the real reason that we refuse to re-hire one of the best (if not the best) coaches in Auburn history.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Marsh would ever be offered again under any circumstances except MAYBE as a consultant. I didf not know him personally, but I was a swimmere and I've known swimmers in the program for years.

Two things --
1. Marsh won championships at Auburn by *heavily* recruiting foreign swimmers. He had an international reputation. If you look back at Olympic Games swimming, you discover swimmer representing their home country, not the US, who swam at Auburn.
2. Marsh was (and has remained) a difficult person to deal with. We love to hate on Jay Jacobs, but Marsh was always full of himself and egotistical. Jacobs had his own problems and priorities, but non-revenue sports were not at the top of his list. Thus conflict.

I'm hoping that our new coach will hire Marsh as a consultant, and maybe use that alliance as a recruiting tool. Because starting from the bottom, this job is not the kind of plum coaching position that it would have been as Marsh was leaving.

The REAL screw-up was, as Marsh was on his way out, Auburn did not hire a championship caliber coach to replace him. THAT was on Jacobs and THAT set in motion the decline of Auburn Swimming & Diving. So, yes, here we are again at FU Jay Jacobs -- NOT for losing Marsh, but not for hiring a top replacement.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

And Hawke was Australian so the Foreign pipeline should have been one of his strengths.  

But it wasn't, and Quick did not leave him a stocked full house of elite swimmers. I'm not hating on Quick. He kept Auburn competitive at least, whereas Hawke -- Nope.

Richard Quick became coach in March 2007, was diagnosed with a brain tumor  Dec 2008 and died in June 2009. He was responsible for two recruiting classes. Among the women he signed were Micah Lawrence, Arianna Vanderpool-Wallace, Becca Jones, Hannah Riordan and the Norberg twins. On the men's side it wasn't as good but he did bring in Karl Krug, Chris Fox, Max Murphy, Tony Cox and Kyle Owens. That was not a bad haul. Each of these made All-American at least once.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

UPDATE JULY 2021

Auburn Swimming at 2020 Olympics: Adriel Sanes (U.S. Virgin Islands); AU alumns: Zach Apple (USA), Annie Lazor (USA), Marcelo Chierighini (Brazil), Santiago Grassi (Argentina) Julie Meynen (Luxemburg), Luis Martinez (Guatemala)

Transfers In: Adriel Sanes (Denver, grad transfer), Mykenzie Leehy (Houston, grad transfer)

Transfers Out: Nik Eberly (-> Michigan)

Recruiting, top incoming Freshmen (# HS ranking):

Men: #25 Jacques Rathle, #26 Henry Bethel, #41 Nate Stoffle, #80 Mason Mathias, #105 Grant Davis, #141 Andrew Simmons, #182 Fletcher Hayes

Women: #27 Ellie Waldrep, #40 Rebekah Hamilton, #44 Abbie McCulloch (released, now at Georgia), #46 Lexie Mulvihill, #54 Avery Bargeron, #224 Jenna Smith

Source: https://www.swimcloud.com/recruiting/rankings/2021/F/?page=1

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Swimming begins with Olympic debut from Adriel Sanes

Swimmer Adriel Sanes served as the flag bearer for the U.S. Virgin Islands at the Opening Ceremony. 

UP NEXT: SUNDAY, JULY 25
Swimming

Zach Apple (USA) – Men's 4x100 Free Relay Heats, 7:10 a.m. CT
Marcelo Chierighini (Brazil) – Men's 4x100 Free Relay Heats, 7:10 a.m. CT
Zach Apple (USA) – Men's 4x100 Free Relay Final, 10:05 p.m. CT
Marcelo Chierighini (Brazil) – Men's 4x100 Free Relay Final, 10:05 p.m. CT

• Thanks 1

Zach Apple wins gold with U.S. 4x100 free relay team

TOKYO, Japan – Former Auburn swimmer Zach Apple pulled away on the final leg of the men's 4x100m freestyle relay Monday morning to secure the gold medal for Team USA at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics. 

Former Tiger Marcelo Chierighini also swam in Tuesday's final, anchoring the Brazil relay team that took eighth, finishing in 3:13.41. It was the third Olympics for Chierighini, a 22-time All-American at Auburn from 2010-2014. 

https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/7/25/swimming-diving-zach-apple-wins-gold-with-us-4x100-free-relay-team.aspx

War Eagle!

6 hours ago, AUreo said:

She swam a good race to get that Bronze. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I remember in one Olympics the Auburn swimmers won so many metals Auburn would have come in 15th in total metal count

We had a female swimmer that was always near the top for a while.  Can't think of her name.  I think it was a unique, long name.  

Edit .. Kirstey Coventry.

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

We had a female swimmer that was always near the top for a while.  Can't think of her name.  I think it was a unique, long name.  

Edit .. Kirstey Coventry.

I was incorrect we would have ended 14th in metal count

Auburn in the Olympic Games

* 29 (27 athletes, 2 coaches) current and former Auburn athletes competed at the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, tying the most Auburn athletes in a single Olympics with 2000 and 2004.

* Including four swimming newcomers, Auburn was represented by 31 athletes and two coaches in Beijing.

* The 31 athletes ranked sixth in the country according to an article by Forbes magazine: Stanford (46), Southern California (41), Cal-Berkeley (41), Florida (34), UCLA (32), Auburn (31), Arizona (27), Texas (22), Michigan (22), North Carolina (20).

* Auburn athletes hailed from 13 different countries and competed in 24 events, winning medals 18 total medals in 13 events.

* Auburn athletes finished the Games with 18 medals, tripling the former Auburn record of six medals at a single Olympics.

* If Auburn were its own country, its 18 medals would rank in a tie for 14th in the world with Spain and Canada.

* Collectively, Auburn athletes won three gold medals, 10 silver and five bronze.

* Auburn won more medals in swimming (13) than any other school in the country.

• Like 1