Just Watched A-Day

AUght2win

My thoughts:

1. At least one, if not two, tight ends are going to have to be top 3 on the team in receptions this year.

-- The WR pool is so much more shallow than I thought it'd be. I feel Cannion is the only legitimate playmaker in the corps. We'll need tight ends to step up and maybe get a transfer WR. Hudson is decent but needs to really develop.

2. Nix's body language was much better.

-- Granted he wasn't getting hit, and it was A-Day, but Bo looked MUCH more comfortable. Like he was just playing football, and not nervous, trying to do too much, getting emotional or frustrated. Even had a little fun dancing. I feel like Bo has been pressing for so long, if he can be half as cool as Nick Marshall, he'll be a much better QB.

3. Lot more business oriented.

-- I think Harsin has humbled this team in a way it desperately needed. Not much showboating Saturday. Subdued emotionally. It felt more like a closed practice than A-day. Very business like. I think the team is terraforming to the grinder mentality - while still having fun. 

4. Much of offense surprisingly similar to Malzahn. But I think this won't be what we see in the fall.

-- Shotgun screens. 9's. Reads. Wr motioning into the backfield. Simple, spread concepts on Saturday. At times, you forgot Gus left. But (and it says a lot about the Malzahn offense) I think this was purely because we: A. Wanted to be vanilla, and B. The team only has a very small grasp of what Harsin/Bobo are installing. I think we'll look completely different conceptually by fall. That's a given in most spring games. But so much so in this year's case that it's hard to even judge the offense at all other than on depth/talent. 

5. Davis will push Bo.

-- Talking about being a cool customer. DD is a winner. You can tell. He didn't come from being the all-time winningest QB in TX histoey to bow down to Bo. Not saying he'll win the job or be unhappy in the 2nd string role, just saying we finally have a QB that is talented, ambitious, and with the tools to push Bo to be better.

• Like 2

It’ll definitely be interesting to see what happens at QB when Nix leaves.  Based on some articles I read it sounded like Davis was struggling.  We didn’t see a ton but he looks as advertised which was a Nick Marshallish type play maker.  If something happens to Bo this season I’d 10 times out of 10 put Davis in ahead of Loy.  I’m not in practice to see what happens on a everyday basis but he looks to have that it factor.  

• Like 1

#4 on your list isn’t that surprising. The offenses have similarities, Harsin just goes under center more. Harsin gets gimmicky too, but there should be more use of throwing it into the middle of the field

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Can't seem to find it- on YouTube or where? Didn't get to watch on Saturday

Search auburn spring game 2021 on YouTube. It should be the second one, it’s 1 hr 20 mins.

Edited by Maverick.AU

35 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Can't seem to find it- on YouTube or where? Didn't get to watch on Saturday

Also replaying on sec network this week 

I'm beginning to worry a bit about the WR's as well. Hopefully they just need time. But you don't replace the guys we lost without feeling it some.

With all the off-season teeth gnashing over Bo, the Oline, and the depleted RB room, wouldn't it be "funny" if the WRs are ultimately the weak link. 

1 hour ago, cbo said:

I'm beginning to worry a bit about the WR's as well. Hopefully they just need time. But you don't replace the guys we lost without feeling it some.

With all the off-season teeth gnashing over Bo, the Oline, and the depleted RB room, wouldn't it be "funny" if the WRs are ultimately the weak link. 

They really didn't look good. They don't seem physically ready, and were alligator arming a lot.

It's a cruel irony that when it seems our O Line is finally ready to give Bo time, that he may not have guys who can get open. That's why the tight ends will be key. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, AUght2win said:

My thoughts:

1. At least one, if not two, tight ends are going to have to be top 3 on the team in receptions this year.

-- The WR pool is so much more shallow than I thought it'd be. I feel Cannion is the only legitimate playmaker in the corps. We'll need tight ends to step up and maybe get a transfer WR. Hudson is decent but needs to really develop.

2. Nix's body language was much better.

-- Granted he wasn't getting hit, and it was A-Day, but Bo looked MUCH more comfortable. Like he was just playing football, and not nervous, trying to do too much, getting emotional or frustrated. Even had a little fun dancing. I feel like Bo has been pressing for so long, if he can be half as cool as Nick Marshall, he'll be a much better QB.

3. Lot more business oriented.

-- I think Harsin has humbled this team in a way it desperately needed. Not much showboating Saturday. Subdued emotionally. It felt more like a closed practice than A-day. Very business like. I think the team is terraforming to the grinder mentality - while still having fun. 

4. Much of offense surprisingly similar to Malzahn. But I think this won't be what we see in the fall.

-- Shotgun screens. 9's. Reads. Wr motioning into the backfield. Simple, spread concepts on Saturday. At times, you forgot Gus left. But (and it says a lot about the Malzahn offense) I think this was purely because we: A. Wanted to be vanilla, and B. The team only has a very small grasp of what Harsin/Bobo are installing. I think we'll look completely different conceptually by fall. That's a given in most spring games. But so much so in this year's case that it's hard to even judge the offense at all other than on depth/talent. 

5. Davis will push Bo.

-- Talking about being a cool customer. DD is a winner. You can tell. He didn't come from being the all-time winningest QB in TX histoey to bow down to Bo. Not saying he'll win the job or be unhappy in the 2nd string role, just saying we finally have a QB that is talented, ambitious, and with the tools to push Bo to be better.

As for #1, I hope one of the TEs is top 3 in receptions this year, but not for same reasons as you mentioned. I think we will be ok at WR. I think Canion is showing he is going to be a stud. Hudson will come along. Also we had 2 potential starters out in Evans and Capers and then Jackson was out as well. These guys are very early in their development, but there is time to gel and improve. We also have Dawson and Pressley coming in the fall. We have a stack of talent there just need to get better and get experience. The fact we have some cupcakes early is going to be huge! I am not in freak out mode yet about the WRs.

#2- Yes. Nix looked much more composed in his body language especially after mistakes. That was good to see. I can definitely see improvement. I know that it's only a glorified scrimmage and it's easy to see improvement when he doesn't have to get hit, but I am still happy to see it. Beats the alternative.

#4- I think we saw the most basic vanilla of CBH and CMB's offense that had some similarities to Gus' offense after 7 years of developing and adapting. We ran a lot of inside Zone which is Gus' go to. I think we will all definitely see a different system come gameday and yes we will still see some things that Gus did. The difference will be CBH will know how to maximize his personnel for the similar concepts and schemes to make them successful. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

They really didn't look good. They don't seem physically ready, and were alligator arming a lot.

It's a cruel irony that when it seems our O Line is finally ready to give Bo time, that he may not have guys who can get open. That's why the tight ends will be key. 

They probably were 'alligator arming' a lot bc they're not used to having to catch balls between the hash marks where there is a lot more traffic. lol. They are used to the old offense where it was go deep or go to the sideline for a pass. :)

Also, remember you're 2 most experienced WRs didn't even play with Capers and Jackson out or not up to full speed. I'm hoping it will get better in the fall w/ some of the better ones out there...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Keep in mind Capers was hurt all spring...looking forward to seeing him in the fall.

Good point. Forgot about him. Capers might be enough to get us by. 

3 hours ago, cbo said:

Right now it looks like damn near every position on offense, Oline/QB/RB/WR have a ton of work to get to SEC caliber. 😒 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, keesler said:

Right now it looks like damn near every position on offense, Oline/QB/RB/WR have a ton of work to get to SEC caliber. 😒 

Well RB is good with Tank and Shivers but man i agree on the rest. Hoping it was because the D was playing so freaking awesome on the spring game. And not that our bad offense made defense look good 😅

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Was JJ Evans out?

Yes, I believe he got hurt early in the Spring. Not sure what the extent of the injury was, though...

5 hours ago, gravejd said:

Well RB is good with Tank and Shivers but man i agree on the rest. Hoping it was because the D was playing so freaking awesome on the spring game. And not that our bad offense made defense look good 😅

Yeah we’ve got 2 good RB’s but that’s not enough. You gotta have more than that now in the SEC, hopefully a third RB steps up

• Like 2

15 hours ago, keesler said:

Every group needs work!   
TE is the best group overall, and CBH will use TEs to help with deficiencies on OL.  By the time we kickoff the 2021 season, I think this group will be ready to go!
RB has 2 top shelf players, but needs more depth.  2 RBs is just not enough depth for a full season.  
I think QB will turn out to be a much improved unit in 2021.  Bo is taking to the new coaching well, and DD is an improvement at QB2.   
We have a lot of young raw talent in the WR room.  They just need to develop at a very accelerated pace!  Bringing in a seasoned vet via transfer would be a good idea.  I believe that would help with the rest of the guys’ development.   
OL has some tools.  Some guys are functional in their role.  Others are young and raw with some potential.  A transfer or 2 that can play SEC level ball would be huge here.  Specifically, an OT and a C.  I think we’re ok at OG.

• Like 2

Getting Capers, Evans, and Jackson will help a ton. Also, Dawson and Pressley are coming soon! A speedster and a big body. 

• Like 4

I think this team grows into a pretty damn good squad by mid season. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, gravejd said:

Ehh, RB's still an area of need IMO.  We need more than 2 RB's in the SEC. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keesler said:

Ehh, RB's still an area of need IMO.  We need more than 2 RB's in the SEC. 

We've had multiple seasons just in the last decade when it turned out we needed more than four.

Couldn't imagine being okay with going into the season with just 2 dependable guys.

Now, if Barrett and Hunter end up being legit, great, but they certainly can't be depended upon at this stage.  

• Like 1

On 4/19/2021 at 7:57 PM, Win4AU said:

It’ll definitely be interesting to see what happens at QB when Nix leaves.  Based on some articles I read it sounded like Davis was struggling.  We didn’t see a ton but he looks as advertised which was a Nick Marshallish type play maker.  If something happens to Bo this season I’d 10 times out of 10 put Davis in ahead of Loy.  I’m not in practice to see what happens on a everyday basis but he looks to have that it factor.  

I think we will know more where Davis stacks up when we get to the fall. He is still listed behind Loy, but that is bc Loy has been here 2 years and a transfer at that, and DD should still be in HS at this time. 

But, I feel that if he grasps the offense playbook better as we get into fall, he will be #2, bc in the end this possibly could be Bo's last year, who knows. And we need the #2 to get as many reps as possible for next year too...

On 4/19/2021 at 7:17 PM, AUght2win said:

Capers is solid too I think he was out for A-day though? Malcolm Johnson is supposed to be a baller too. Definitely a young group though.

if he can be half as cool as Nick Marshall

Man I'd love to be 1/10 as cool as Nick Marshall

Much of offense surprisingly similar to Malzahn. But I think this won't be what we see in the fall.

Agreed, but there were definitely better play sequencing and some different concepts we haven't seen in a while. We combo-blocked more than I recall previously and we finally ran a counter play or two. For all the griping about Gus' awful route tree (non-existent) our run plays were painfully routine as well. Nice to see some off-tackle runs, cutbacks, counters, and sweeps that don't take 3 years to develop.

Love seeing more "heavy" type sets.

Anyone putting Loy above him on a depth chart is a fool.

• Like 1