Just Watched A-Day

AUght2win

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes, I would be confident with this RB group, as long as the freshman was a stud 5* that knows he will get carries and for sure take over in 2023 bc Tank will be gone. 

Now I agree that we could use a transfer RB now that has been a RB in college with some success, and doesn't mind playing behind Tank and SHivers, but will get carries bc Hunter will be pretty green not playing at the college level yet.

Exactly. We don't know that about Hunter, by any stretch of the imagination. Like I said before, right now he looks *exactly* like DJ Williams- a 3* guy who suddenly became this diamond in the rough late in the recruiting cycle. People around here LOVED DJ Williams. Now, is Hunter going to look like DJ the player? Or is he going to look like something better? I'd be surprised if anyone here knows either way. 

As for Barrett, I love the guy. He has been nothing but a team guy with a positive attitude from day 1. And nobody will be happier than me if he gets to do some real work at RB. But is anyone really counting on it?

And exactly again on the kind of guy I'm talking about. I know that another Peyton Barber might not be out there, but nobody can tell me that this roster can't use him if he is. And if he's got a couple years of eligibility- again, that's the kind of guy I'm looking for- then he's got a very good shot at RB2 in 2022, which is a draftable spot, and maybe even RB1 in 2023.

But if anyone thought I was saying "We need to find any human who calls him- or herself a running back and give them a scholarship", no, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that if there's a real football player that has shown himself to at least be dependable on a college football field, then I think we should try to get him to be dependable here. 

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

But will you feel confident going into the 2022 season with Tank Bigsby, Jarquez Hunter and whatever freshmen we can recruit?

Since last season doesn't count against eligibility, would it be possible for Worm or Barrett to return? I'd say more so on Barrett but no idea. So if we recruit 2 freshman RB's and then find a serviceable Juco to bridge the gap I think we'll be fine for 2022. If we were prepping for contention next year, yeah I'd say we'd need to pick up a serviceable back to guard against emergencies, but my expectations are low for next year and I think the 4 we have plus whatever walk-ons will be enough to get through the year. Tank will be fine as long as we sub him properly (i.e. don't call middle dive after he's broken a 60 yard run and is gassed). Worm should get a good chunk of carries in contested games, and in games we are comfortable should see Barrett and the freshmen getting a lot of reps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Since last season doesn't count against eligibility, would it be possible for Worm or Barrett to return?

Ahh. Now that's a very good question that might change the conversation on my end. 

2 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Tank will be fine as long as we sub him properly (i.e. don't call middle dive after he's broken a 60 yard run and is gassed).

I don't think there's any way you can assume he stays healthy with the workload he's going to get, even if we do sub him properly. Shoot, he wasn't healthy for portions of last year, and that was without a full workload. He could have a season-ending injury in fall camp like Wright just did.

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Worm should get a good chunk of carries in contested games

Hell yes he will and I can't freaking wait for it.

4 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

and in games we are comfortable should see Barrett and the freshmen getting a lot of reps.

If we're lucky then, yes, it will only be in those situations. Or Hunter really will be a stud. Or maybe Barrett will be our Reggie Bush! All possible. But I wouldn't bet on it.

As for taking short term losses in the interest of long term gains, I'm open to the idea. I hear you. But if that transfer stopgap you want for next season is available now with 3 to play 2 or better, then you take him now because you can't assume he's there next cycle (nor can you count on getting 2 SEC quality freshmen to commit). 

• Like 1