Desi Sills Committed to AU...transfers to Arky St.

toddc

42 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

People taking the current scholly count into consideration also have to count Chris Moore into potential...well

I really don't want to loose Moore...but with the reports about how much of a glue guy Stretch is, Moore would probably be the first one out, should we need a spot for Scoot, yeah.

23 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Great pickup! Will add toughness, swagger, defense, and experience. He’ll be a great spark off the bench!

May not be coming off the bench. I could see him, Jasper, or Alexander as the starting 2.

• toddc changed the title to Desi Sills Committed To Auburn Tonight

Great fit. I’ve been cheering forward this particular addition. He’s a perfect piece next to either of the transfer guards. I’m good with him starting or off the bench. Good shooter. Good defender. Plus loads of experience. Huge pickup. 

Let’s get Thor back in the fold and call it. Three Centers is more than we need, but if it’s not Scoot, I’m good without another guard. Green, Jasper, Sills, Alexander, and Flanigan give us enough depth and ball handling if that’s where we land. 

Hallelujah! Grinning from ear to ear. Experience wins championships. Another seasoned vet added to the mix. Love his comments. Team first guy. This team is now deep with quickness and experienced ball handling. Bruce can push tempo, create deflections, and turnovers, with the freedom to substitute to keep the petal to the metal. Yes, they'll be at a disadvantage height wise individually, but collectively they could create enough chaos to compensate. If this group of guards can make some shots consistently, as a whole, watch out.

Great pickup. Gives us immediate experience at the 2 spot. Less pressure or Trey to have to come in a play starter minutes immediately and less of a chance we will be forced into playing Flan at the 2. Now we can play him there only when the matchup makes sense. Welcome to AU Sills!

12 hours ago, roe4christ said:

Let's just get Thor back and talk Scoot into reclassifying and then party like its 1999.  😵

I don't know how valid it is but there's some mumblings about why Thor might not return. Seen comments about what he told coaches being different than what he announced and that apparently he hates going to classes and some other drama too. There might not be a spot for him even if we have space is what I'm getting at.

46 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I don't know how valid it is but there's some mumblings about why Thor might not return. Seen comments about what he told coaches being different than what he announced and that apparently he hates going to classes and some other drama too. There might not be a spot for him even if we have space is what I'm getting at.

is the OTHER drama involving team  mates or somewhere else?

Weird (in this transfer age) for a guy trying to improve his draft stock to go back to a team where he knows he likely won’t even be a starter. I’ve just assumed if Thor was playing CBB next season it would be somewhere else. If he comes back it’s just a bonus. 

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I want him to go full rodman and go with both orange 🍊🧡 and 💙🔵 blue!!! 😂😂

Then that would look like he just glued a shaker on his head.  :trampoline:

13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

People taking the current scholly count into consideration also have to count Chris Moore into potential...well

What does Moore have to do with this? I haven't heard anything that Moore might leave....

And with 1 scholly left if Thor leaves, and if it is there for Scoot, if reclassifying, I don't see Pearl keeping 5 guards on the team. Someone is going to be told to look elsewhere again...

38 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

What does Moore have to do with this? I haven't heard anything that Moore might leave....

People can be convinced

You didn’t hear anything about Jamal leaving until he did either, right?

for my tastes, Thor is one of the five best players on the team if he returns, and that’s if we get Scoot or not. I still think the guy is a more selfish mindset on offense away from being that first round talent, and he’s a guy you mismatch pieces around to start regardless. Him at the 3, Jabari at the 3, you make that work 

That being said, the roster has definitely been structured in such a way that we can survive. There’s a lot of guys who are going to have bide their time and play the back until next next season. (But with Auburn’s incessantly GREAT injury luck, they’ll probably get opportunities in abundance)

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

People can be convinced

You didn’t hear anything about Jamal leaving until he did either, right?

that's a different situation. JJ entered right after the season was over. Moore hasn't shown or said anything and it's been weeks now. Not saying he won't. Anyone on the roster could transfer for reasons we don't know...

34 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

that's a different situation. JJ entered right after the season was over. Moore hasn't shown or said anything and it's been weeks now. Not saying he won't. Anyone on the roster could transfer for reasons we don't know...

We were pursuing guards out the gate, not making space for bigs

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't see Pearl keeping 5 guards on the team.

Why not? 5 players to play 2 spots, 8 players to play the other 3. You're lobbying to have 4 for 2 and 9 for the other 3. Moore is either third string at the 3 or fourth string at the 4. I don't like the idea of him being the one to move on if Scoot reclassifies and Thor comes back, because I like him, and I think he can be a very good player, but it makes more sense to me to have 5 true guards than to stock the bigs too hard. I mean, we don't want to end up like we were close to getting last year with no one to handle the ball due to various issues.

Truthfully, from a talent perspective, it seems clear that Stretch would be the one that should move on, but it seems that he's a critical locker room piece (which is nothing to undervalue). Thus, Moore seems to be the next logical pick.

**DISCLAIMER** I have absolutely no inside information on this issue, and truthfully a lot of my logic is based upon what those who seem to know what they are talking about in here have said over time.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'll just say, I don't think that's correct. The roster essentially shakes out like this:

PG - Green
PG/SG - Jasper
SG/SF - Flanigan, Sills, Cambridge, Alexander
SF/PF - Smith and Moore
PF/C - Kessler, Williams, Cardwell, Stretch

Then, you either add Thor to the SF/PF group or add Scoot as a PG/SG. I know there's hope from the staff that Moore will become an oversized 2/3, but last year, he was playing the 4 as much as anything else. If Thor doesn't come back, he's one of the only dudes with enough size and quickness to play either forward spot.

There's a lot of flexibility in that group, but Kessler, Cardwell, and Stretch are 5s. They don't really play anything else, which means you need interchangeable parts from 2-4. I very seriously doubt Moore would be a guy we would "encourage" to look elsewhere. He could leave for PT, but I don't think it'll be due to a nudge. If Thor and Scoot want to come, I'd assume one of the Centers is the guy getting encouraged to leave.

5 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Yeah, I'll just say, I don't think that's correct. The roster essentially shakes out like this:

PG - Green
PG/SG - Jasper
SG/SF - Flanigan, Sills, Cambridge, Alexander
SF/PF - Smith and Moore
PF/C - Kessler, Williams, Cardwell, Stretch

Then, you either add Thor to the SF/PF group or add Scoot as a PG/SG. I know there's hope from the staff that Moore will become an oversized 2/3, but last year, he was playing the 4 as much as anything else. If Thor doesn't come back, he's one of the only dudes with enough size and quickness to play either forward spot.

There's a lot of flexibility in that group, but Kessler, Cardwell, and Stretch are 5s. They don't really play anything else, which means you need interchangeable parts from 2-4. I very seriously doubt Moore would be a guy we would "encourage" to look elsewhere. He could leave for PT, but I don't think it'll be due to a nudge. If Thor and Scoot want to come, I'd assume one of the Centers is the guy getting encouraged to leave.

I don't have a problem with this, I just feel that when u have 3 transfer guards, and then you bring in a 5* future guard in Scoot, then I think one of those guards will not want to sit on the bench for limited minutes. Unless all of them want to come bc they want to play in the SEC and are willing to play less then it's hard to believe. 

When was the last time we had 5 guards? Im just curious...

I mean, pragmatically, I get the concern, but I also question whether any of those guys would look elsewhere. Jasper, Green, and Sills all just committed to transfer (or signed in Jasper's case). Alexander and Henderson are (or would be) incoming freshmen. If he reclassifies, Scoot can't be a one-and-done because he won't be old enough for the draft after his freshman season. I think we'd just have all five of those guys in the Thunderdome fighting for minutes.

Edited by mcgufcm

1 hour ago, mcgufcm said:

I mean, pragmatically, I get the concern, but I also question whether any of those guys would look elsewhere. Jasper, Green, and Sills all just committed to transfer (or signed in Jasper's case). Alexander and Henderson are (or would be) incoming freshmen. If he reclassifies, Scoot can't be a one-and-done because he won't be old enough for the draft after his freshman season. I think we'd just have all five of those guys in the Thunderdome fighting for minutes.

This issue is personally why I wanted another 2 guard that could play the 3...we’ll be potentially bare there between Flan, Smith and maybe Kessler all leaving. All of these guards will be here again sans attrition...like every single one 

I feel comfortable about Green and Henderson being here at the 1. I think Zep will be moved to the 2 full time by the end of his tenure here. Alexander is gonna be that dude. Cambridge will probably be more of a small forward going forward. Desi is the odd man out to me, both in years and presumably, in minutes desired. 

I could see Henderson/Green/Zep rotating, then Sills/Zep/Alexander game 1 and something way different by game 21.

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel comfortable about Green and Henderson being here at the 1. I think Zep will be moved to the 2 full time by the end of his tenure here. Alexander is gonna be that dude. Cambridge will probably be more of a small forward going forward. Desi is the odd man out to me, both in years and presumably, in minutes desired. 

I could see Henderson/Green/Zep rotating, then Sills/Zep/Alexander game 1 and something way different by game 21.

I just don't see 3 guys subbing for  the 1 position. There is not enough minutes for Henderson, Green, and Zep rotating the 1, if you want to win games.

I can see Zep, Alexander and Sills rotating the 2, and Henderson and Green manning the 1. I guess you could also have a 3 guard lineup at the very end of games for ball handling and good foul shooters(Scoot, Zep and Sills).

I could be wrong, but I doubt Sills is the odd man out. He fits neatly beside a primary ballhandler on offense and is an absolute menace on the defensive end. That goes double if Scoot isn't part of this team. If we want to give Flanigan relief by not having to take the other team's best backcourt player, Sills is the answer. Playing him and Flanigan together at 2/3 with Kessler (a top-shelf shot blocker) behind them is our fastest ticket to massive defensive improvements.

It's going to take time and tinkering to find the best mix of pieces next year. Lots of options though, regardless of what happens with Scoot or Thor.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I just don't see 3 guys subbing for  the 1 position. There is not enough minutes for Henderson, Green, and Zep rotating the 1, if you want to win games.

I can see Zep, Alexander and Sills rotating the 2, and Henderson and Green manning the 1. I guess you could also have a 3 guard lineup at the very end of games for ball handling and good foul shooters(Scoot, Zep and Sills).

Agreed on PG minutes. I think if Scoot comes, then he starts with Green backing him up while the other three rotate at the 2. If Scoot doesn't come, Green starts with Zep backing him up, and then Zep probably rotates with the other two at the 2.

For whatever reason, I've been getting the feeling that Scoot doesn't reclassify, but JT does come back. Nothing to back it up, just a hunch. At this point, I'm happy with the team we have even if we don't get either one of them. We have people who can handle the ball, people who can shoot, people who can defend, people who can dominate the paint, bigs that shoot 3s...lots and lots of potential all over the court. Adding anyone else to the mix is just extra gravy.

But please, do bring on the gravy!

• Haha 1