Desi Sills Committed to AU...transfers to Arky St.

toddc

Edited by toddc

Pearl's Tigers adding veteran SEC guard to 2021-22 roster

2 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama­–Auburn has added a fourth transfer for its 2021-22 basketball roster with Desi Sills announcing on Tuesday evening that he will play for Coach Bruce Pearl’s team. The 6-2, 200-pound guard has two seasons of eligibility remaining.

Sills is originally from Jonesboro, Ark., where he led his team to back-to-back state championships before signing with the University of Arkansas.

“I feel like the Plains is going to be the best fit for me,” Sills said on why he decided to play for the Tigers. He said that he also considered Texas Tech, Texas A&M and Georgia.

"Coach Bruce Pearl and his staff know what I can do, they believe in me and I am ready to come in to the Plains and do my thing,” the guard said.

He also noted that he is looking forward to playing with what he expects to be a strong Auburn team in 2021-22. “I feel this is going to be a special group with the transfers coming in and I am glad to have a chance to be part of this organization.”

Asked if he has any goals for the coming season, Sills said, “My biggest goal is try to help get Auburn back on the right track and win the SEC Tournament and get back to the NCAA Tournament. I don’t have any individual goals because I truly believe team goals out-weigh individual goals.”

He started 47 of his 98 games with the Razorbacks and averaged 7.7 points 2.3 rebounds, 1.5 assists and 1.3 turnovers per game. In three seasons with the Razorbacks he made 43 percent of his field goals, hit 103 three-pointers at a 35.4 percent success rate and made 67.1 percent of his free throws.

Auburn’s coaches saw Sills score his collegiate-high of 23 points as the Razorbacks opened the 2020-21 season with a road win over the Tigers. Sills also had career-highs that night of eight field goals made and 15 field goals attempted.

For the rematch at Arkansas in January, Sills posted career-highs with eight free throws made and four offensive rebounds while scoring 22 points. For the season he started 15 of his team’s 32 games and averaged 7.5 points, 2.7 rebounds, 1.6 assists with 51 assists and 34 turnovers. He played an average of 20.8 minutes per contest.

Sills joins center Walker Kessler and guards Zep Jasper and Wendell Green, Jr. as transfers into the Auburn program for the coming season.

Kessler, who is 7-1, 245, averaged 4.4 points and 3.2 rebounds per game while seeing an average of 8.7 minutes of court time per contest as a freshman at the University of North Carolina. The former McDonald’s All-American led Woodward Academy in College Park to its first Georgia state basketball championship as a high school senior and was named the state’s Mr. Basketball.

Jasper, who is 6-1, 175 from Augusta, Ga., averaged 15.6 points, 3.7 rebounds and 2.6 assists last season at College of Charleston. Originally from Laney High in Augusta, Ga., he earned second team All-Colonial Conference honors this past season.

Green, who is 5-11, 170 pounds, averaged 15.3 points and 5.0 assists per game this past season as a freshman at Eastern Kentucky. A native of Detroit, he earned first team All-Ohio Valley Conference honors after playing as a high school senior at La Lumiere School in La Porte, Indiana.

The transfers will join an Auburn team that will include a pair of highly-regarded high school seniors who signed in November. Each player averaged 24 points per game this past season. Jabari Smith is 6-10, 210 from Sandy Creek High School in Tyrone, Ga. He is rated five stars by 247Sports as the No. 2 power forward prospect in the nation and No. 5 overall prospect. Trey Alexander, who is 6-4, 185 from Heritage Hall in Oklahoma City, Okla., is rated four stars by 247Sports as  No. 16 shooting guard prospect in the class and the No. 74 overall prospect.

9625444.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 Desi Sills is shown in action driving to the basket for the Razorbacks vs. TCU. (Photo: Nelson Chenault, USA TODAY Sports)

Sills was signed by former Arkansas head coach Mike Anderson and started eight games as a freshman while averaging 5.3 points and 1.8 rebounds.

As a sophomore, playing for Coach Eric Musselman, he started 24 games while averaging 10.6 points and 3.0 rebounds per contest while playing an average of 31.2 minutes per contest.

*** Subscribe: Receive the latest Auburn intel and scoops***

1COMMENTS

Sills announced plans to transfer on March 31st following Arkansas losing to eventual national champion Baylor in the Elite Eight round of the NCAA Tournament.

As a high school senior Sills was ranked as the No. 1 three prospect in the state of Arkansas and three stars by 247Sports. He averaged 20 points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists as a senior in 2017-18 to earn All-State honors. He was also an All-State selection as a junior when he led Jonesboro High to a 32-0 record while averaging 15.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists.

• toddc changed the title to Desi Seals Committed To Auburn Tonight
  • augolf1716 pinned this topic

Good deal. I know he gave us fits. A solid scoring addition. Only reason I’m a little meh is the possibility Scoot is not coming this season. I guess we would process another out at that point regardless. 

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Good deal. I know he gave us fits. A solid scoring addition. Only reason I’m a little meh is the possibility Scoot is not coming this season. I guess we would process another out at that point regardless. 

Yup great shooter 

13 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I wonder if he'll dye his hair orange instead of red now?

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

If thor doesn't come back we still have 1 spot open.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

If thor doesn't come back we still have 1 spot open.

Sounds like that's the plan to hopefully take a reclassified Scoot.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I wonder if he'll dye his hair orange instead of red now?

Actually pondered the same thing lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Actually pondered the same thing lol

I want him to go full rodman and go with both orange 🍊🧡 and 💙🔵 blue!!! 😂😂

• Love 1

10 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Going full Rodman would paint a big AU on his head.  LOL 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AUBwins said:

If I remember correctly we did a lot of “Sills is getting away with everything!” type posting. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

If I remember correctly we did a lot of “Sills is getting away with everything!” type posting. 

Truth! Now we will see if he gets the JABA treatment playing in our colors lol. 

33 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Going full Rodman would paint a big AU on his head.  LOL 

It would also involve wearing a dress so....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, wareagletk said:

Does this affect Scoot with auburn and his chances of reclassifying to 2021? 

It could be an indicator of something, but no, they wouldn’t get anyone jf they thought it’d scare Henderson off. They actually could’ve gotten this guy earlier if it wasn’t for pushing for Henderson and I believe, Tyty Washington

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It could be an indicator of something, but no, they wouldn’t get anyone jf they thought it’d scare Henderson off. They actually could’ve gotten this guy earlier if it wasn’t for pushing for Henderson and I believe, Tyty Washington

Agreed it’s probably the loss of TyTy that was enough to accept the commitment

• Like 2

I was wanting that cat from Arizona or maybe he just had a Arizona offer more than anybody but I'll take him. We need depth

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

And about 30 piercings! 😝 

• Haha 1

Let's just get Thor back and talk Scoot into reclassifying and then party like its 1999.  😵