Trey Alexander decommits

Maverick.AU

WTH?! I thought he was pretty danged solid...wonder if this was all him not wanting to compete with the older guys coming in at the 2 or if it might have been by design to free up a spot? Can't lie: I'm a little bummed out about this!

I have no idea what is happening with the basketball team. Is it so fluid everywhere in college basketball right now? I guess wake me up the day of the first game and i'll check the lineup 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm guessing he has Bruce's approval, since he already signed his LOI to Auburn. I'm hoping this means Scoot reclassifies and JT comes back.

Dang.  I thought basketball recruits flipping and recommitting barring coaching changes/investigations were not a thing like they were in football.  Auburn basketball can't go more than a week with good news.  Incredibly frustrating.  

• Like 1

Four-star Auburn signee Trey Alexander reopens recruitment

18 minutes ago

One of Auburn's two 2021 signees no longer wants to be locked down with Bruce Pearl's program.

Four-star shooting guard Trey Alexander, the No. 1 prospect in Oklahoma, has reopened his recruitment, he announced Thursday on Twitter. Alexander signed with Auburn on Nov. 18.

"First I would like to thank everyone on the Auburn coaching staff for believing in me and giving me the opportunity to play at a great university!" Alexander wrote. "To all the Auburn fans, thank you for reaching out and welcoming me to Auburn before I had even gotten on to campus! But after a long talk with my family I have decided to reopen my recruitment!"

The 6-foot-4 shooting guard originally committed to Auburn last November before signing with the program six days later.

Auburn's other signee is five-star power forward Jabari Smith from Georgia, who is the highest-rated recruit to join the Tigers in program history.

Auburn added a shooting guard from the transfer portal — Desi Sills from Arkansas — earlier this week.

49COMMENTS

Assuming Auburn grants Alexander release from his letter of intent, the Tigers now have two open scholarships for the 2021-22 season, with forward JT Thor's spot in limbo as he tests the NBA draft waters with the option to return to school.

Auburn has added four players via the transfer portal this offseason — Sills, North Carolina center Walker Kessler, Eastern Kentucky point guard Wendell Green Jr. and College of Charleston combo guard Zep Jasper — after losing Sharife Cooper to the NBA draft, and Justin Powell, Jamal Johnson and Javon Franklin to the transfer portal.

11 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Dang.  I thought basketball recruits flipping and recommitting barring coaching changes/investigations were not a thing like they were in football.  Auburn basketball can't go more than a week with good news.  Incredibly frustrating.  

I wonder if this is similar to the WIlson player for Alabama asking out of his NLI? Once he saw who was transferring in, and more than likely moving him to a backup or worse, he wanted out. 

Alexander maybe saw these guards Sills and Jasper being brought in, and figured he would be a bench guy or moved down the depth chart...

Need some better inside info on this one...

• Sad 1

Didn't he sign a NLI? If he did, wouldn't Bruce have to release him? If so, I wonder if Bruce encouraged this because he might have something up his sleeve. 

2 minutes ago, Randy4AU said:

Didn't he sign a NLI? If he did, wouldn't Bruce have to release him? If so, I wonder if Bruce encouraged this because he might have something up his sleeve. 

Yes, yes, and I'm wondering the same thing.

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I wonder if this is similar to the WIlson player for Alabama asking out of his NLI? Once he saw who was transferring in, and more than likely moving him to a backup or worse, he wanted out. 

Alexander maybe saw these guards Sills and Jasper being brought in, and figured he would be a bench guy or moved down the depth chart...

Need some better inside info on this one...

Alexander is more talented than Sills or Jasper. Hard to find a way to spin this positively, unless he made the decision due to an imminent Scoot reclassification. 

Edited by Dunndone414
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Alexander is more talented than Sills or Jasper. Hard to find a way to spin this positively, unless he made the decision due to an imminent Scoot reclassification. 

JLee is reporting that we are looking hard at Akinjo, the Arizona transfer. He was 1st team All-PAC team, and one of the top tranfers out there. Caveat...he has put his name into the NBA draft..

But he would be an upgrade over Alexander at his experience at ability.

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

JLee is reporting that we are looking hard at Akinjo, the Arizona transfer. He was 1st team All-PAC team, and one of the top tranfers out there. Caveat...he has put his name into the NBA draft..

But he would be an upgrade over Alexander at his experience at ability.

Akinjo would be a nice add. He’s not the same kind of player as Alexander, though. Would be an interesting team with a huge frontcourt and small backcourt. Akinjo can’t be much more than 6ft tall.

Gonna be honest, this hurts. Alexander was the guy I expected to win the starting job at the 2 before the end of the season and would be one of the best newcomers (outside of Jabari).

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

This right here. I won't be happy with losing unless it's because we get Scoot and Thor comes back. Anything less and I'm very upset. :(

• Like 3

Dang it. Why can’t we have a pure deep threat? Powell left, was really excited for Trey, now he’s gone. Could be a Bruce deal or Treys deal. I have no doubt Bruce will get this roster to where he needs it, but was looking forward to seeing Trey. 

2 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

This right here. I won't be happy with losing unless it's because we get Scoot and Thor comes back. Anything less and I'm very upset. :(

Completely agree with this take. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Well plan on being upset then, bc I have seen nothing to see that Thor is coming back, and Scoot's decision info has been all over the place w/ rumors. 

I can live with THor gone, but Scoot is a big time player IMO and would enhance any offense we tried to run...

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Well plan on being upset then, bc I have seen nothing to see that Thor is coming back, and Scoot's decision info has been all over the place w/ rumors. 

I can live with THor gone, but Scoot is a big time player IMO and would enhance any offense we tried to run...

I don't get to keep up too much with recruiting and what's going on, the last I had seen from Thor was from Ellitor saying the insiders on the bunker said Thor coming back was more and more likely. Guess it's changed again. Still think this sucks either way because I had picked Alexander to be *that* guy for me next year. Guess I'll go back to Cardwell. lol

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I don't get to keep up too much with recruiting and what's going on, the last I had seen from Thor was from Ellitor saying the insiders on the bunker said Thor coming back was more and more likely. Guess it's changed again. Still think this sucks either way because I had picked Alexander to be *that* guy for me next year. Guess I'll go back to Cardwell. lol

;D Cardwell is a good fallback. I think he will really show improvement, if he gets more playing time.

What's really weird is that we were the youngest or 2nd youngest college basketball team in America this past season, and now next year, if all we bring in are transfers and only 1 HS player(Jabari), then we might be one of the most experienced college teams, especially in the SEC. crazy, huh?

• Like 1

No way to dismiss Alexander as being worse or less valuable than any of the other guards we currently have committed. Just an unfortunate tragedy, but I highly doubt Bruce STILL gets Sills without some idea that Alexander was going to do this. 
If you get Scoot, it’s a positive transaction  

15 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

There’s instances with Auburn basketball where no one seems to know anything of substance. I think Thor is probably going to fall into that boat. 

• Like 1