Trey Alexander decommits

Maverick.AU

2 hours ago, Sully to Beasley said:

The NCAA could stop this transfer madness if they really wanted to. College basketball has been reduced to just a minor league of the NBA sadly.

Yes the NCAA could. However, they are the ones that opened this can of smelly worms and the NCAA is unlikely to backtrack their decision. I look for this to get worse before it gets better, if it ever does get better.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1

I got a feeling Trey was worried about playing time before we accepted Desi and Bruce  just cut bait, wished him well and took Desi's commitment.

I 100% trust Bruce to steer the ship through this mess of transfers and '1 and done' kinda nonsense.   This labyrinth of called BB recruiting drove the UNC coach to retire probably earlier than he liked.   Nobody wants to leave on such a downward spiral. 

Bruce was not surprised by all of this.  Bruce is playing chess here guys, not checkers.  

4 hours ago, AuburnMike86 said:

Why do you keep associating everything with high school rankings?

He was #70. Not top 10.

I like the underrated players that stand out as much as anyone, but just because he's is a top 75 player doesn't mean he will be a super star.

Every year there are tons of examples of players taking 1-2-3 years to fully develop. Even top 50 guys.

Trey may be great, but if you are comparing his HS stats against HS competition and claiming he is better than a D1 college player because that college player avged 7-10 ppg against D1 competition then you have a ton to learn about basketball, recruiting, and so on. Desi has played at this level. He has trained at this level. He has proven himself at this level.

I wish Trey would have stayed and either proven to have been good enough to take a spot, or been patient enough to get better and then taken a spot.

If Bruce took Desi knowing Trey would leave, then Bruce made that decision.

If Bruce Pearl thought he was a game changer, potential 1st rounded draft talent, he takes him over anyone else and doesn't recruit over him. Clearly he didn't expect him to be that much of a factor this season in comparison to what he thought Desi would bring.

Coach > message board users.

Look, we don’t know the causal chain here. Trey may have made his decision known, and then Bruce decided to take Desi. 

I said Trey is more talented, and I stand by that. It doesn’t mean that Trey would come in day one and be a better basketball player, but his ceiling is obviously higher. 

I’m excited to have Desi on the team, by all accounts he’s a hard-nosed competitor and has significant SEC experience. But let’s be honest with ourselves - he is what he is - an undersized SG that wasn’t good enough to keep the starting job at one of our rivals. He’s a great piece to have coming off the bench. We’ll be fine, but everything that happens isn’t an example of 4D chess. Sometimes even a coach as good as Bruce just takes an L because an 18 year old changes his mind, and this may be one of those times. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I just absolutely refuse to believe Pearl took him w/o thinking Trey already had a foot out the door. That would be INSANE 

The fact that it was reported that Auburn had not accepted Sill's commitment twice seems to indicate that it could have been bc they were hearing that ALexander wanted out.

So even though we thought they were holding off Sills bc of Scoot, it may have been bc of Alexander.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I got a feeling Trey was worried about playing time before we accepted Desi and Bruce  just cut bait, wished him well and took Desi's commitment.

I 100% trust Bruce to steer the ship through this mess of transfers and '1 and done' kinda nonsense.   This labyrinth of called BB recruiting drove the UNC coach to retire probably earlier than he liked.   Nobody wants to leave on such a downward spiral. 

Bruce was not surprised by all of this.  Bruce is playing chess here guys, not checkers.  

I've seen other reports that contradict that statement. It was reported by  Pearl and staff , they were shocked that Alexander wanted out.

And the fact that Sills was held off 2 times from letting him commit somewhat supports that rumor. Although, we thought Sills was held off bc of Scoot's possibility of deciding to join Auburn. 

4 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Log jam at the 2? Sills and Trey were the only 2's we had on the roster. We need another 2 now. Zep is going to be Wendell's backup at the 1.

It's also been stated that Jasper can play as a combo guard so he could play to 2 at times also, bc his ability to score and his ball handling ability. 

Now of the ones that are best 3 pt shooters, their college stats are pretty good. Although if it is true that we are now trying to get Akinjo, the Arizona transfer, he is the best of all of the transfers in shooting 3s.

44 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

It's also been stated that Jasper can play as a combo guard so he could play to 2 at times also, bc his ability to score and his ball handling ability. 

Now of the ones that are best 3 pt shooters, their college stats are pretty good. Although if it is true that we are now trying to get Akinjo, the Arizona transfer, he is the best of all of the transfers in shooting 3s.

Wont be getting akinjo

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

The logjam comment came in the context of the Desi Sills thread where we were discussing have five Guards (without including Flanigan) and what the rotation might be. If Scoot comes, either or Jasper or both will soak up some minutes playing alongside Green. Then, you'll likely also see minutes with Flanigan sharing the floor with Cambridge (making one of them the 2/SG).

I think people are underselling what Sills does for this team. He was going to play more than Alexander next year. There's a reason Sills logged the fifth most minutes for Arkansas in their tourney run. He wasn't a guy who couldn't hold a starting job. He was one of the five best players for an Elite Eight team. He's a ballhawk on defense, averaging about 2 steals/40 minutes, and he's been a double-figure scorer in the SEC. I don't think he'll start, but he might with or without Scoot.

If Scoot comes, you're likely starting him with whichever Guard you prefer among the three. Scoot has enough size to play off he ball with Green or on the ball with Sills/Jasper. I hate that we lost Alexander, but I don't know how much impact that has next year. If he wasn't here for two or three years of development, it's not a huge loss.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

The logjam comment came in the context of the Desi Sills thread where we were discussing have five Guards (without including Flanigan) and what the rotation might be. If Scoot comes, either or Jasper or both will soak up some minutes playing alongside Green. Then, you'll likely also see minutes with Flanigan sharing the floor with Cambridge (making one of them the 2/SG).

I think people are underselling what Sills does for this team. He was going to play more than Alexander next year. There's a reason Sills logged the fifth most minutes for Arkansas in their tourney run. He wasn't a guy who couldn't hold a starting job. He was one of the five best players for an Elite Eight team. He's a ballhawk on defense, averaging about 2 steals/40 minutes, and he's been a double-figure scorer in the SEC. I don't think he'll start, but he might with or without Scoot.

If Scoot comes, you're likely starting him with whichever Guard you prefer among the three. Scoot has enough size to play off he ball with Green or on the ball with Sills/Jasper. I hate that we lost Alexander, but I don't know how much impact that has next year. If he wasn't here for two or three years of development, it's not a huge loss.

I'm kind of with you here. I was very disappointed about losing Trey but that is mostly because i was considering him a part of this team and already looking forward to him playing at couple season at AU. But that was old me looking at long term outlook. In todays college basketball you only look at next years team. Now would you rather have a true freshman or a seasoned SEC player on next years team. If we look at the options between Trey and Desi then i think its Desi hands down. No comparison really. You can say that maybe Trey has a higher upside but who is to say we ever see that up side? Its just a likely he comes and plays like a freshmen with potential and then he leaves for somewhere else. Get the guy with experience that can help you win right now and that is what Desi gives us.

• Thanks 1

There’s this, but it’s kind of hard to believe since when he committed we had more guards on the roster than we do now. Unless we told him that we weren’t taking another guard unless it was scoot and we took desi, but he does say”beginning of my recruitment” so idk

Alexander: “I just felt like most of the stuff (Auburn) told me in the beginning of recruitment didn’t stick. They didn’t keep their word, basically. That’s the main reason I decided to decommit.”

Edited by Maverick.AU

23 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

There’s this, but it’s kind of hard to believe since when he committed we had more guards on the roster than we do now. Unless we told him that we weren’t taking another guard unless it was scoot and we took desi, but he does say”beginning of my recruitment” so idk

Alexander: “I just felt like most of the stuff (Auburn) told me in the beginning of recruitment didn’t stick. They didn’t keep their word, basically. That’s the main reason I decided to decommit.”

Basically he feels they promised him the 2 guard spot and with Jasper and Sills and Green all coming in feels like they have reneged on a promise.  In my opinion if you can’t stand competition for playing time good riddance and hope you find somewhere that won’t have any competition for your PT.  Glad that’s not the case at Auburn.  Bruce is gonna try to get the best 13 he can every year.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, dilligas said:

Basically he feels they promised him the 2 guard spot and with Jasper and Sills and Green all coming in feels like they have reneged on a promise.  In my opinion if you can’t stand competition for playing time good riddance and hope you find somewhere that won’t have any competition for your PT.  Glad that’s not the case at Auburn.  Bruce is gonna try to get the best 13 he can every year.

Totally agree. Don't let the screen door hit ya. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

I could see that. They’ve promised Kessler the job and Scoot will probably be promised the job repeatedly, if he hadn’t been already. We tried to run game and it backfired. It happens 

I’m sure it’s worked in the past and will work again in the future 

Some of these 4 & 5 star high schoolers shy away from competition. They haven't practiced or played a second on the college level and yet they want all 40 minutes for themselves. At least Bruce knows what he's getting with 3 highly experienced transfer guards. Find another transfer who appreciates the opportunity to compete and is eager to win. Perhaps win big.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I could see that. They’ve promised Kessler the job and Scoot will probably be promised the job repeatedly, if he hadn’t been already. We tried to run game and it backfired. It happens 

I’m sure it’s worked in the past and will work again in the future 

What game? Only desi is a 2. Wendell And Zep are 1's through and through and we're recruited and pitched to play the 1 as has been said this whole time by AU pay sites. Kid is using this to justify wanting out because people are pulling and tugging him to stay closer to home. They got their way finally. I'm sure coaches in the state of Oklahoma have been hitting him up as well even though he was signed.

• Like 1

I agree with this. I don't buy this narrative he's trying to spin.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

What game? Only desi is a 2. Wendell And Zep are 1's through and through and we're recruited and pitched to play the 1 as has been said this whole time by AU pay sites. Kid is using this to justify wanting out because people are pulling and tugging him to stay closer to home. They got their way finally. I'm sure coaches in the state of Oklahoma have been hitting him up as well even though he was signed.

Cambridge has played the 2 most of his career here, Sills, Zep has been thought of by literally everyone since Green has committed as someone who will be playing minutes at the 2, and then you have them recruiting Scoot and at least potentially interested in other transfer guards. 

We have two different perceptions on this issue so I'll leave it at that, but I'll conclude that it's not like he made this decision only thinking of the depth chart as it currently is. 

7 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

@GwillMac6 are you seeing anything on the other boards on Trey or the overall situation of what is going on?

Yes. JGT and J Lee from Rivals are all over this like they always are about bball stuff. Trey is the reason that desi went from not ready to take at this moment to a definite take in a span of a week.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, dilligas said:

Hoke said something similar shortly after it was announced. He may not write for AU anymore but he knows plenty of AU people. Trey is a talent, and that is 100% for certain but with all this being said, I’m not really fretting him leaving now. Wish him luck elsewhere.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Cambridge has played the 2 most of his career here, Sills, Zep has been thought of by literally everyone since Green has committed as someone who will be playing minutes at the 2, and then you have them recruiting Scoot and at least potentially interested in other transfer guards. 

We have two different perceptions on this issue so I'll leave it at that, but I'll conclude that it's not like he made this decision only thinking of the depth chart as it currently is. 

Scoot is another guy who is exclusively a PG. That shouldn't have any effect on Trey whatsoever. Let's say Zep does play a lot of minutes at the 2 next season. So a top 50 SG prospect was scared of competition from a mid major transfer from college of charleston? That's embarrassing honestly. It would of been cut and dry to me if Trey stayed. Wendell/Zep at the 1 and Desi/Trey at the 2. Trey most likely would of been starting by conference play.  And that's if scoot doesn't come. If scoot came and trey never left then desi would of never been a take.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

I’m excited to have Desi on the team, by all accounts he’s a hard-nosed competitor and has significant SEC experience. But let’s be honest with ourselves - he is what he is - an undersized SG that wasn’t good enough to keep the starting job at one of our rivals. He’s a great piece to have coming off the bench. We’ll be fine, but everything that happens isn’t an example of 4D chess. Sometimes even a coach as good as Bruce just takes an L because an 18 year old changes his mind, and this may be one of those times. 

I wish more people would accept this! Sills definitely wasn't gotten with the idea he'd be this superstar, and was billed like that by virtually everyone before we had to shift to cope with Trey leaving. He was going to be a leader, help a young core out to start the season, and likely be supplanted by someone else towards the back end. and I still hope he fulfills that purpose! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Scoot is another guy who is exclusively a PG. That shouldn't have any effect on Trey whatsoever. Let's say Zep does play a lot of minutes at the 2 next season. So a top 50 SG prospect was scared of competition from a mid major transfer from college of charleston? That's embarrassing honestly. It would of been cut and dry to me if Trey stayed. Wendell/Zep at the 1 and Desi/Trey at the 2. Trey most likely would of been starting by conference play. 

Why does it have to be "scared of competition"?? The guy likely wanted to play a ton of minutes, and you don't get 3-4 different guards with the idea that they won't play minutes. This won't be an Auburn team of the past where the two lead guards play 35 minutes and everything flows through them. He could've got the starting job and still played 24 minutes or less with this current structure, not to mention the likely dearth of touching the ball

Scoot could've played literally all his minutes at the PG, and still massively effected the minutes/play style of everyone else. If you're running him 30 minutes, with maybe 4 minutes as an off ball/2 guard and Wendell running point, that means literally every other guard option will be a "shooting guard" when they step on the court. Zep, off ball. Devan, off ball. Desi, Trey, Flanagan when it's called for. When the guy committed, we had a ton of complementary pieces and a far different roster composition. It'd be dishonest to pretend as if Jamal Johnson and Javon Franklin are gonna demand/require the same touches that Green or Desi does

50 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Why does it have to be "scared of competition"?? The guy likely wanted to play a ton of minutes, and you don't get 3-4 different guards with the idea that they won't play minutes. This won't be an Auburn team of the past where the two lead guards play 35 minutes and everything flows through them. He could've got the starting job and still played 24 minutes or less with this current structure, not to mention the likely dearth of touching the ball

Scoot could've played literally all his minutes at the PG, and still massively effected the minutes/play style of everyone else. If you're running him 30 minutes, with maybe 4 minutes as an off ball/2 guard and Wendell running point, that means literally every other guard option will be a "shooting guard" when they step on the court. Zep, off ball. Devan, off ball. Desi, Trey, Flanagan when it's called for. When the guy committed, we had a ton of complementary pieces and a far different roster composition. It'd be dishonest to pretend as if Jamal Johnson and Javon Franklin are gonna demand/require the same touches that Green or Desi does

Kid got cold feet 15 days before he had to report and is using this as a excuse to leave. Whatever. Let's just call it what it is man. Trey and Desi are the only true 2 SG's on the roster and he would of got ample playing time. 

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1