Trey Alexander decommits

Maverick.AU

24 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Kid got cold feet 15 days before he had to report and is using this as a excuse to leave. Whatever. Let's just call it what it is man. Trey and Desi are the only 2 SG's on the roster and he would of got ample playing time. 

Come basketball season, we still gonna party like it's championship or bust Fam! Woooooo. Bruce gonna get the jungle back too!

Edited by AUBwins
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Come basketball season, we still gonna party like it's championship or bust Fam! Woooooo. Bruce gonna get the jungle back too!

ABSOLUTELY FAM!!! With the transfer portal we WILL get a really good replacement at the SG position. I just really liked Trey's game. He fits perfectly what Bruce does. He is a great shooter. He is going to be a really good player. I hate it will not be at AU.

6 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

ABSOLUTELY FAM!!! With the transfer portal we WILL get a really good replacement at the SG position. I just really liked Trey's game. He fits perfectly what Bruce does. He is a great shooter. He is going to be a really good player. I hate it will not be at AU.

Agreed.  He would have been fun to watch.  But...

lol.gif

• Haha 2

Prior to Thor Announcing he was going to NBA I thought Alexander was more important to our team then Jabari Smith not because I thought he was better than Smith, as Smith is better and has higher potential but because he fit our needs better. The new guards are all good players but all are at a height disadvantage at the SG position. 

Alexander has a very nice stroke solid ball handling skills, is 6'4" and can sky all things we need at SG position. This is a huge loss there is no way to sugar coat it. I still think we could have a team that competes at the top levels next year as we have a lot of talent.  We have talented players at every position. Flanagan can play SG and give us a real weapon both on O and D at the position and at the end of last year we started to see Moore playing SG and he showed some range and strong skills on the boards. With Harper and Brown we were able to play really well even with a short PG and short SG.  

We have the talent but the question is do we have one or two Alpha male types who can take over a game especially when we are having a bad night. We need a player who will will us to a win. In our final 4 run we had 3 guys who could do it before the injury.  To me all the best teams have guys that don't let you lose the important games.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, dilligas said:

Basically he feels they promised him the 2 guard spot and with Jasper and Sills and Green all coming in feels like they have reneged on a promise.  In my opinion if you can’t stand competition for playing time good riddance and hope you find somewhere that won’t have any competition for your PT.  Glad that’s not the case at Auburn.  Bruce is gonna try to get the best 13 he can every year.

This doesn’t fly. 

Alexander said auburn wasn’t honest to him early in his recruitment. 
when he signed we still had Turbo, J Johnson and Powell potentially returning at the SG position for next year. He signed knowing this. 

So once Pearl had to replace Turbo, JJ and Powell w Green, Jasper and now Sills why would Alexander decide to commit based on who was still going to be competing at the SG w him. 

No difference.  And doesn’t make sense. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

This doesn’t fly. 

Alexander said auburn wasn’t honest to him early in his recruitment. 
when he signed we still had Turbo, J Johnson and Powell potentially returning at the SG position for next year. He signed knowing this. 

So once Pearl had to replace Turbo, JJ and Powell w Green, Jasper and now Sills why would Alexander decide to commit based on who was still going to be competing at the SG w him. 

No difference.  And doesn’t make sense. 

And people that post AU basketball that know things (non beat writers) are saying the same thing. 

• Like 2

Talk about burning bridges. The coaching staff agrees to release him from his NLI, per his request. Then he turns around and publicly accuses them of lying to him?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, slyinsocal said:

Talk about burning bridges. The coaching staff agrees to release him from his NLI, per his request. Then he turns around and publicly accuses them of lying to him?

Seriously. These kind of things can get really ugly. See Dylan Brooks and Tennessee. But Bruce and staff do it with no drama whatsoever and this is how the dude repays them? Like WTF bro?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Look, we don’t know the causal chain here. Trey may have made his decision known, and then Bruce decided to take Desi. 

I said Trey is more talented, and I stand by that. It doesn’t mean that Trey would come in day one and be a better basketball player, but his ceiling is obviously higher. 

I’m excited to have Desi on the team, by all accounts he’s a hard-nosed competitor and has significant SEC experience. But let’s be honest with ourselves - he is what he is - an undersized SG that wasn’t good enough to keep the starting job at one of our rivals. He’s a great piece to have coming off the bench. We’ll be fine, but everything that happens isn’t an example of 4D chess. Sometimes even a coach as good as Bruce just takes an L because an 18 year old changes his mind, and this may be one of those times. 

In Desi's defense he got injured. Before the injury he was lighting it up and was the main reason Arky got a win over our Tigers. I think we will all be very happy he is on the roster come next winter. Bruce's style works better with quick guards that shoot well and play good defense. Notice how the perimeter players this past year could not stop anyone and AU defense suffered despite being the top team in blocks. Next season the current guards will be able to put the pressure on the perimeter that force those bad shots that get the break going. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Why does it have to be "scared of competition"?? The guy likely wanted to play a ton of minutes, and you don't get 3-4 different guards with the idea that they won't play minutes. This won't be an Auburn team of the past where the two lead guards play 35 minutes and everything flows through them. He could've got the starting job and still played 24 minutes or less with this current structure, not to mention the likely dearth of touching the ball

Scoot could've played literally all his minutes at the PG, and still massively effected the minutes/play style of everyone else. If you're running him 30 minutes, with maybe 4 minutes as an off ball/2 guard and Wendell running point, that means literally every other guard option will be a "shooting guard" when they step on the court. Zep, off ball. Devan, off ball. Desi, Trey, Flanagan when it's called for. When the guy committed, we had a ton of complementary pieces and a far different roster composition. It'd be dishonest to pretend as if Jamal Johnson and Javon Franklin are gonna demand/require the same touches that Green or Desi does

... and this is the recipe for winning.  I don’t begrudge the kid for wanting minutes.  But ... less minutes on a winning team or more on an ok team ...

I want the competitor who wants to help a team win championships.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mustache eagle said:

... and this is the recipe for winning.  I don’t begrudge the kid for wanting minutes.  But ... less minutes on a winning team or more on an ok team ...

Exactly. I think we all saw this season with UK (maybe Duke -I didn't pay them much attention) and UNC last season of what happens when there is a team of very talented players that are more worried about getting to the NBA than winning. Losing this kid may be a good thing if he is not a team player that wants to win. AU got to the Final Four with pretty darn good players, but not future NBA stars that wanted to win in Harper, Brown, Samir and J'von. Give us four players like that every year and AU will be going far in the SEC and March Madness every year. (Let's get the Chuma's and Okoro's types too,, who have NBA talent, but team first mentalities.)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

That's fine, I don't really care if someone's rationale is he should be willing to play a smidgen of minutes for a championship contender. But when people make it, "he's scared of competition", or a similar trope, that's just mind boggling to me. 

I don’t think it was ever going to be otherwise. This looks like a 10-11 man rotation. 

I really think people believed (maybe still do) that Cambridge and Moore and Cardwell were just going to get cut out, but that was never happening. Green and Jasper will take the minutes at PG (unless Scoot comes, which would shift it). Jasper, Sills, Flanigan, and Cambridge will all play some as a nominal 2. Flanigan, Cambridge, Smith, and Moore will take time at 3. Smith, Moore, and Williams will play 4. Kessler, Williams, and Cardwell will play at 5. 

I’m not sure many will play 30 minutes. 

Edited by mcgufcm

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Seriously. These kind of things can get really ugly. See Dylan Brooks and Tennessee. But Bruce and staff do it with no drama whatsoever and this is how the dude repays them? Like WTF bro?

With the way everything has went down, it's making me less upset about his decision to decommit. Bruce didn't have to let him out of the NLI but he's a pretty upstanding guy at the end of the day. Don't call out a team/coach that's doing you a solid. Hope he's successful wherever he decides to go but if he plays Auburn, I hope he goes 0fer from the field with 10 turnovers.

• Haha 1

On 4/23/2021 at 11:29 AM, steeleagle said:

I've seen other reports that contradict that statement. It was reported by  Pearl and staff , they were shocked that Alexander wanted out.

And the fact that Sills was held off 2 times from letting him commit somewhat supports that rumor. Although, we thought Sills was held off bc of Scoot's possibility of deciding to join Auburn. 

I bet you are right.   I did not say I had any real knowledge.   I was just sharing an (early ) opinion.   

I am  very disappointed and just believe now he wanted a easy track to lots of PT

On 4/24/2021 at 11:45 AM, johnjacob said:

Exactly. I think we all saw this season with UK (maybe Duke -I didn't pay them much attention) and UNC last season of what happens when there is a team of very talented players that are more worried about getting to the NBA than winning. Losing this kid may be a good thing if he is not a team player that wants to win. AU got to the Final Four with pretty darn good players, but not future NBA stars that wanted to win in Harper, Brown, Samir and J'von. Give us four players like that every year and AU will be going far in the SEC and March Madness every year. (Let's get the Chuma's and Okoro's types too,, who have NBA talent, but team first mentalities.)

I prefer one marquis NBA type and a collection of players willing to cut off their right ____ to win.    Those guys have the best chance to win in the long run.   

7 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I prefer one marquis NBA type and a collection of players willing to cut off their right ____ to win.    Those guys have the best chance to win in the long run.   

Isn't that one too many dashes regarding your "right...."? ;D

18 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Isn't that one too many dashes regarding your "right...."? ;D

Dude, your eyes are much better than mine.   I thought I hit 3.   

Yeah, long run, I bet Auburn is better off without him (if this is an peek into his character or work ethic).   Who really knows?  

• Haha 1