2022 3* TE Micah Riley-Ducker Signs With Auburn!!

Paladin

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Shenker wasn't here this spring.  I don't think he's that special of a piece anyways.  He's a slow plodder.  Not sure how he fits in

He's a plus blocker with dependable hands. Can line up at H, in the slot, or put a hand in the dirt. Tons of experience. He'll be valuable this year IMO.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm curious why you don't think Fromm or Deal fit Harsin's mold?  Both are pretty much the exact same size as their Boise TE that was drafted.  If we're using 2 TE sets, Imma guess they'll be asked to block a decent amount and Deal is probably the best blocker on our team.  I'd say both have shown limited, but decent receiving skills.

If we're going with 2 TEs, wouldn't we probably have a Landon King type 6'5 220 as a hybrid TE/WR and more of an inline TE like Deal?

I'll be interested to see how Frazier develops.  he's the tallest & heaviest TE we have.  6'7" could be a great RZ target.  We'll have a ton of tall TE/WR for the RZ

Honestly, I'm not even sure where I pulled that from in my head for Fromm. I don't think he's on the same athletic level as King, Frazier, or Riley-Ducker, but I do think he could be a good receiver/route runner...and maybe I'm underestimating him athletically, I don't know. 

Deal, as noted, is more a blocker. I think his ceiling is similar to where John Samuel Shenker is, which is not a bad place to be, because I'm a fan of Shenker (how can you not love a big tight end with hands of glue?), but from what everyone is saying it doesn't sound like either of them particularly fit the normal TE mold for Harsin.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Also, all the sophomores + King exercising 4 more years of eligibility at Auburn is unlikely.

And that's fair, but it speaks to how long we COULD have someone with seniority over him. Not that I think seniority necessarily means anything to Harsin and Bobo, but it's something to think about.

40 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

a degree in hand

Well, it's not inconceivable that they could stretch out the length of time they remain here, take a light load of classes every semester and graduate in 5 years, since they know they can play that long if they want. The rest of what you mentioned are all solid points, particularly the habit of running 2 TE sets opening up the possibility that we could legitimately see 3 to 4 TEs get significant time, even without injury.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Zeek said:

My take, based on offers and recruiting, is that we're looking for this leaner Kyle-Pitts-Like TE. Super tall but on the lighter side with enough speed to be match-up nightmares.

I think you're reaching for an assumption. Kyle Pitts is more of a WR than he is a TE. Harsin's offense utilizes traditional TE's, but of course no one on the planet (except maybe Gus) would turn down the opportunity to weaponize a talent like Pitts if they had him on their roster. But there is no "move" being made to go slimmer at TE, the guy that Boise just had drafted was ~6'5 250+ and ran like a 4.83 at their Pro Day. That isn't "Kyle Pitts", that's a traditional TE. Harsin's offense utilizes pro-style sets and formations so the expectation is that the TE's not only can run routes and catch passes, but also block. 

J.J. Pegues was moved because he wasn't a TE at all. 6'2 280-300 pounds with the lower body of a DT is not a TE. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, metafour said:

I think you're reaching for an assumption. Kyle Pitts is more of a WR than he is a TE. Harsin's offense utilizes traditional TE's, but of course no one on the planet (except maybe Gus) would turn down the opportunity to weaponize a talent like Pitts if they had him on their roster. But there is no "move" being made to go slimmer at TE, the guy that Boise just had drafted was ~6'5 250+ and ran like a 4.83 at their Pro Day. That isn't "Kyle Pitts", that's a traditional TE. Harsin's offense utilizes pro-style sets and formations so the expectation is that the TE's not only can run routes and catch passes, but also block. 

J.J. Pegues was moved because he wasn't a TE at all. 6'2 280-300 pounds with the lower body of a DT is not a TE. 

Just looking at Landen King and some guys offered it's a lot of guys at or taller than 6'5" and on the lighter side. That's all I'm saying.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Just looking at Landen King and some guys offered it's a lot of guys at or taller than 6'5" and on the lighter side. That's all I'm saying.

1) Landon King wasn't recruited by them, he was a holdover from Gus.

2) Literally every team wants tall TE's - nobody is actively "looking for" 6'2 TE's. Those guys would be "H-Backs". Of course they're offering guys that are 6'5+, that is the basic prototype for the position.

3) These kids are all on the "lighter side"...because they're in HS. Go look at the pictures of this kid (Micah Riley-Ducker) or the camp highlights from Keith Neibuhr's tweet on the first page: he is not skinny or "lean" in the least. I'm not sure where you're going with this, of course very few HS players are physically maxed out - in fact the taller they are, the more weight they generally need. All of these 6'5 TE's they are recruiting will eventually play in that ~250-260 pound range. If you look at other positions we're recruiting, we have offered a lot of ~205 pound linebackers as well - that doesn't imply that we're "looking to go smaller", it means that those players are of expected HS development and will put on mass in college as they physically mature.

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Also, Harsin is fishing in a much larger and deeper pond now. These might be guys he's wanted but couldn't necessarily get to Boise. Or maybe he sees his offense evolving as he meshes with Bobo in the SEC in the 2020s, where bama dominates with three receivers putting up video game numbers at any given time. Whatever it is, you're right. Reminds me of Gus going after a lot of rush ends with similar frames for a minute. Hope this is more successful.

This is the HS recruiting profile of the kid they just sent to the NFL (John Bates):

https://247sports.com/Player/John-Bates-86373/high-school-156280/

6'6 and 210 pounds.

He measured in at 6'5 and 3/8ths and 250 pounds at Boise State's Pro Day. That weight was actually lower than his listed roster weight of 256 pounds, which isn't abnormal as players often drop weight to try to test faster at Pro Days. His Washington Football Team roster weight is listed as 259 pounds.

So they recruited a HS kid with a big frame who needed to put on weight, and that's what he did. Almost all HS TE's fit in this category, very very few are completely maxed out at ~250 pounds straight out of HS. Basically all of them end up putting on weight in college.

Edited by metafour

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

We have people in this thread saying King is putting on good weight.  He'll most likely play in the 240s.  Wasn't he already signed, too?

I think look at Jrs weight and thinking that's the weight they'll play at as evidence we'll have lighter TEs might not be the best target.  They'll all put on weight.  Both their starting TEs were 6'5 256 and 6'2 243.

Doesn't mean he's right or y'all are wrong, but @Zeek isn't crazy... from the 2023 thread:

“For sure,” the 6-5, 225 Thurman said. “I feel like I had a great camp. I showed myself very well. I am glad somebody noticed.”

A dangerous receiver with the size to win any one-on-one battle with the ball in the air, Thurman has heard more than one comparison to Florida’s Kyle Pitts

• Thanks 1

Last year Deal was the Best Blocker on our team.  As to those who say he can't catch only one ball was thrown to him and it was low and away and he found a way to make the catch. when in 2 and 3 TE sets having one who is a dominant blocker really helps the run game. Frazier has the potential to be both a lethal Blocker and Pass receiver. He was hurt last year and played in the slightly modified  Gus offense which was not really designed for TE's.  I expect to see a lot of all of our TE's. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Last year Deal was the Best Blocker on our team.  As to those who say he can't catch only one ball was thrown to him and it was low and away and he found a way to make the catch. when in 2 and 3 TE sets having one who is a dominant blocker really helps the run game. Frazier has the potential to be both a lethal Blocker and Pass receiver. He was hurt last year and played in the slightly modified  Gus offense which was not really designed for TE's.  I expect to see a lot of all of our TE's. 

I thin it'll be pretty interesting to see which ones emerge.  I think most places had Fromm/Deal as co-starters at the end of spring.

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed all the crystal balls to Iowa for Ducker on 24/7 have been changed to low confidence. No idea if that means we are trending upwards in his recruitment but this can't be a bad thing for us either. Would absolutely love to somehow get this kid 

24 minutes ago, au302 said:

Noticed all the crystal balls to Iowa for Ducker on 24/7 have been changed to low confidence. No idea if that means we are trending upwards in his recruitment but this can't be a bad thing for us either. Would absolutely love to somehow get this kid 

247 mod said he think Iowa is out of it and could be good for us. Hope so

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

247 mod said he think Iowa is out of it and could be good for us. Hope so

Fantastic to hear. Would be a huge win for us and would help generate momentum for this staff. This kid always seemed like somewhat of a long shot, so if this staff is able to snatch him away that would be huge

• Like 1

I'm excited he's trending our way. One of the players I've wanted the most. 

Heck the fact Iowa was wanting him and their history of producing great TEs ought to tell you what type of player he is. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

As an excellent TE prospect out of the Midwest who stated that playing early is a major factor, this would be an impressive steal for our coaching staff.  

agree, especially when he see we have like 50 TEs on our roster... :)

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Iowa writer just CB'd to Auburn. 

Separate Iowa writer FutureCasted him to Auburn.

I'd say that bodes well for the good guys!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This guy just looks like the new-gen TE that's dominating the NFL right now, like Kittle, Waller, Hockenson and how Pitts projects to be. Two of these played at Iowa in Kittle and Hockenson.

Kid bold enough to wear a earring in Nebraska, yeah I want that kid...

Seriously we want this national recruit to help:

- build a class around Geriner

- build a national recruiting base as Harsin wants to do

- estab some MO

And as stated, if Iowa wants him as a TE, I want him as a TE.  

• Like 2