Rod and Paula's killer gets slap on wrist

gravejd

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/teenager-johnston-taylor-sentenced-car-crash-death-auburn-announcer-rod-bramblett-014546949.html

Youthful offender and max 3 years in jail. He'll likely not even serve a year and this gets wiped away completely due to youthful offender status. The only justice in the world is that which you make for yourself. 

• Sad 4
  • Angry 2
  • Dislike 1

12 minutes ago, gravejd said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/teenager-johnston-taylor-sentenced-car-crash-death-auburn-announcer-rod-bramblett-014546949.html

Youthful offender and max 3 years in jail. He'll likely not even serve a year and this gets wiped away completely due to youthful offender status. The only justice in the world is that which you make for yourself. 

Yes. According to TV's channel 12 the sentence is also sealed. The public will never know if he got three years or three weeks.

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

There was a big discussion on this subject in the political forum for those that wanted to read it.  Was justice served?  No, but the judge made the right call going strictly by the law unfortunately.  I have a feeling this kid won't see the last of inside a jail cell judging by his inability to follow rules after bail.

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

I believe this was a tragic situation, but if you don’t treat 16 year olds ( according to reports his age at the time of the crash) as youthful defenders in a car crash, I don’t see much use in the term as a legal term.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I believe this was a tragic situation, but if you don’t treat 16 year olds ( according to reports his age at the time of the crash) as youthful defenders in a car crash, I don’t see much use in the term as a legal term.

I totally agree that our legal system is a joke and needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My .02, Hope the kid changes his life, but I would not be surprised if he is in jail before his probation is up.

This is a tough one. I think many (myself included) are upset about this because we have so much love for lives he took, but also have seen all the trouble the kid has been in since that tragic day.  I kind of agree with Big Bird in that it would be tragic to ruin a third life as well. Plus, I have always looked at it as if kids can be tried as an adult they should also be able to do all the other things adults do. It's a catch 22.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, bigbird said:

It was a tragedy that two people lost their lives, leaving the kids without their parents. Having a third lose their's as well would have been a travesty. There is a difference between punishment and discipline.  Hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity. 

I don't think anyone was asking for the death penalty here. Just some accountability. Protect the community from this dangerous person who continued to get traffic citations AFTER killing 2 beloved members of our family. 5 years minimum with all time served in jail. After release have to attend drug and driving classes and perform community service for another 5 years. If all that goes well then we can say he is rehabilitated and can fully rejoin society. 

Instead he is cut loss to further harm the community and after he kills someone else maybe maybe then he won't be able to pay his way out of trouble. 

• Like 3

Talk with your kids about this kind of thing.  Saving $30/mo. on my car insurance by having my teenage son download a driving app on his phone. After a couple of weeks I reviewed with him and found a couple of times where he'd done a hard acceleration to 80+ mph on a 35 mph road.  He's paying for his own car insurance if he does it again.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

56 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I don't think anyone was asking for the death penalty here. Just some accountability. Protect the community from this dangerous person who continued to get traffic citations AFTER killing 2 beloved members of our family. 5 years minimum with all time served in jail. After release have to attend drug and driving classes and perform community service for another 5 years. If all that goes well then we can say he is rehabilitated and can fully rejoin society. 

Instead he is cut loss to further harm the community and after he kills someone else maybe maybe then he won't be able to pay his way out of trouble. 

No, he would not have been dead. However, convicted of murder/manslaughter/etc. would have left his life ruined and most definitely taken away any future plans he had.  As I said, I hope he takes advantage of it.

• Like 4

This wouldn’t bother me as much if he wasn’t caught doing basically the same thing a couple months later.  Thankfully no one was hurt that time.  He’ll be on a short leash with the legal system for sure.  If you show this is a habitual behavior they usually aren’t as lenient the 2nd time.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Talk with your kids about this kind of thing.  Saving $30/mo. on my car insurance by having my teenage son download a driving app on his phone. After a couple of weeks I reviewed with him and found a couple of times where he'd done a hard acceleration to 80+ mph on a 35 mph road.  He's paying for his own car insurance if he does it again.

In Georgia if you take the Defensive Driver Course you also receive a discount FYI.  I believe you get one for good grades too.

I'd prefer his license be suspended for a long period of time.  He got two reckless driving tickets in two days while on bail.  That should have been part of his sentencing, I guess it is sealed and we don't know if it was.

I agree on the youthful defender designation, he was 16 at the time and apparently an accident as he was asleep.  No winners in this situation.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gravejd said:

I totally agree that our legal system is a joke and needs to be completely torn down and rebuilt. 

Certainly people have lost faith in the legal system.  The system is now incredibly complicated and is easily manipulated by the wealthy.  "Innocent until proven guilty" is a dead concept.  Now it's "Innocent until proven destitute".

This is why people today try to obtain justice by using the media, doxing, and the court of public opinion to create a mob that punishes the perceived guilty by ripping away livelihoods or otherwise making their lives miserable.  The problem with this method is that there is no need for due process. Whoever creates the biggest mob wins.

The only way for the legal system to regain the trust of the people is to have due process followed by the punishment aligning with the severity of the crime. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

He got two reckless driving tickets in two days while on bail. 

That's where I go from "could've happened to anyone" and "he was just a kid" to a darker place. 

I mean, that's literally 3 strikes in less than a week. This isn't the hill I want to die on with regards to rehabilitation over incarceration. 

There might be more details that I'm not aware of, but man that smells like sociopathy. 

4 minutes ago, countoff said:

The only way for the legal system to regain the trust of the people is to have due process followed by the punishment aligning with the severity of the crime. 

We also need to stop putting people in jail for minor offenses because they can't afford the fines. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

We also need to stop putting people in jail for minor offenses because they can't afford the fines. 

This probably isn't the place to discuss this compared to the political forum, but I would be for a system that if you can't afford the fine, to have a work system in place to pay off the fine as an alternative.  For example, cleaning up trash, or helping plant flowers, shrubs, etc. at exits on the highways.  Anything really to show improvement to the community.  Bon Jovi has a similar setup in his restaurant where if you can't afford your meal, you just help clean dishes.

31 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

That's where I go from "could've happened to anyone" and "he was just a kid" to a darker place. 

I mean, that's literally 3 strikes in less than a week. This isn't the hill I want to die on with regards to rehabilitation over incarceration. 

There might be more details that I'm not aware of, but man that smells like sociopathy. 

The whole thing feels gross.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I'd prefer his license be suspended for a long period of time.  He got two reckless driving tickets in two days while on bail.  That should have been part of his sentencing, I guess it is sealed and we don't know if it was.

I agree on the youthful defender designation, he was 16 at the time and apparently an accident as he was asleep.  No winners in this situation.

Asleep because he'd been smoking the devil's lettuce all day and probably had to get back home before supper.

I'm fairly libertarian on the issue of marijuana use but driving while impaired is non negotiable. And kid or not, to have gotten a reckless driving citation while on probation should have voided any youthful offender claim he would have had.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Asleep because he'd been smoking the devil's lettuce all day and probably had to get back home before supper.

That's not known.  Just b/c he had some weed in his system doesn't mean anything.  He could have smoked two weeks ago.  He was also with his parents all day, I believe, and just drove back separately.

DUI for Weed is an extremely gray area b/c there isn't a good test 

• Like 1

Open question for all: is the legal outcome the same, and opinions of the outcome the same if this were a poor kid from the wrong side of the tracks? 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yea agreed. I get that he’s young, and had it been only the one episode it would seem to be a tragic, dumb teenage mistake. But he clearly failed to learn much from taking two people’s lives. The repeated episodes suggest that he doesn’t care about the consequences of his actions for other people. I’m not saying he should be imprisoned for an extended period based on this alone, but he shouldn’t be allowed behind the wheel of a car for a long, long time IMO. And should anything else happen...

I worry about what lies ahead for this kid. Dark clouds on the horizon. Let’s hope he proves us wrong.

• Like 1