Rod and Paula's killer gets slap on wrist

gravejd

On 4/29/2021 at 5:04 PM, ToomersStreet said:

Him or someone else.  Because there are no consequences for actions.

There are still consequences. They’’re just not always fairly and equally administered and distributed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, cbo said:

He clearly has mental or addiction issues or both.

Likely. Same is true for a huge portion of those in prison for much longer sentences for much less serious offenses. Another huge issue the US needs to address. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Likely. Same is true for a huge portion of those in prison for much longer sentences for much less serious offenses. Another huge issue the US needs to address. 

Ding ding ding!

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Rod and Paula's killer gets slap on wrist
On 4/29/2021 at 4:44 PM, cbo said:

It's not always the parents' fault. He clearly has mental or addiction issues or both. It would be nice if he could get treatment for that, to address the actual problem. 

His behavior was horrid and you would think the crash would have been a wake up call. Maybe he was spinning out of control from the guilt. Maybe he is a horrible human. Who knows. 

Nope!

It's the parents fault.  This was a 16 yo kid.  I live in an affluent community and see time and again how these kids are not parented and taught that they will get away with anything because of Daddy's influence.  

If he has mental or addiction issues, his parents should be the first ones getting him help and restricting his ability to do further injury.

It's the parents fault.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Nope!

It's the parents fault.  This was a 16 yo kid.  I live in an affluent community and see time and again how these kids are not parented and taught that they will get away with anything because of Daddy's influence.  

If he has mental or addiction issues, his parents should be the first ones getting him help and restricting his ability to do further injury.

It's the parents fault.

Some parents are too busy worrying about whether their children like them and view them as a friend. Parents aren't supposed to be their child's friend, they have peers for that. A parent that won't take the time to teach and discipline their child, while loving them and providing necessities really shouldn't have been parents. I don't believe that my parents were ever concerned with whether or not I liked them. It wasn't their job to swoop in a save me from stupid decisions. It was their job to make sure that I knew it was a stupid decision and there would be consequences. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Nope!

It's the parents fault.

I am aware there are many useless parents. I just don't think that equates to every time a teenager does something wrong, it's the parents' fault. 

I'm also aware of parents doing everything they can to help their kids with mental and addiction issues. It doesn't always work overnight. 

• Like 2

It is no more this guy’s parents fault than it was Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris parents for the Columbine tragedy . The things people say off the cuff.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

I am aware there are many useless parents. I just don't think that equates to every time a teenager does something wrong, it's the parents' fault.

Man, I hope this is the standard to which I’m held. My wife and I are working our a**** off trying to be the best parents we can be. We are making mistakes and our kids are doing things we wish that they wouldn’t do and that they know we would not approve (just like I did with my parents). We’re also teaching them that they have to learn to think and act independently and that actions have consequences. This dude may have the best worst or the best parents in the world but I’m not sure that his idiocy is necessarily their fault.

Edited by fredst
  • Like 2

Will this kid even be held accountable by the automobile insurance industry?  If there's no official public record of his actions and conviction, can he apply for insurance in 3 years and get the same rates as any other 21 year old?  

4 hours ago, fredst said:

Man, I hope this is the standard to which I’m held. My wife and I are working our a**** off trying to be the best parents we can be. We are making mistakes and our kids are doing things we wish that they wouldn’t do and that they know we would not approve (just like I did with my parents). We’re also teaching them that they have to learn to think and act independently and that actions have consequences. This dude may have the best worst or the best parents in the world but I’m not sure that his idiocy is necessarily their fault.

Exactly. It’s the hardest job ever. There are no breaks and even when you are doing everything right, it can go horribly wrong. 

Some kids are just born differently and will do whatever they want, big or small. I see a lot of perfect parents with perfect kids on message boards, but very few in real life. 

Something tells me the guy on the football forum that’s still talking about his wife and kids is way ahead of most. 

• Like 1

On 4/29/2021 at 9:24 AM, gravejd said:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/teenager-johnston-taylor-sentenced-car-crash-death-auburn-announcer-rod-bramblett-014546949.html

Youthful offender and max 3 years in jail. He'll likely not even serve a year and this gets wiped away completely due to youthful offender status. The only justice in the world is that which you make for yourself. 

Crazy sentence but that sounds like an even crazier vigilante post. 

Instead of mental issues or addiction or some other label has anyone ever considered that he is possibly just a M#@$#@ F*&^%$# punk azz biotch that just don't give a shat? 

I do

On 4/29/2021 at 10:32 AM, bigbird said:

It was a tragedy that two people lost their lives, leaving the kids without their parents. Having a third lose their's as well would have been a travesty. There is a difference between punishment and discipline.  Hopefully he takes advantage of the opportunity. 

Agreed. Folks need to remember that jail time doesn’t always relate to better persons. A long time in custody could have made him just that much worse. Kids make mistakes, I never believe this was intentional on his part. Does he deserve to pay? Yes . But what price. I do agree with whoever talked about the Drug use convictions though. Those are way out of line. When I was a kid if you got caught with booze you had to pour it out and your parents might get a phone call. You didn’t go to jail and have something o. Your record for the rest of your life. Had this been an adult I would have felt completely different and demanded more punishment. Hopefully he will learn from it and don’t doubt for a minute this situation won’t bring him plenty of sleepless nights. So he won’t escape punishment completely. I can’t even imagine living with myself in a case like his. 😞

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, AUGunsmith said:

This thread is the perfect exame of the  US justice system. 

Emotional sentencing based not retribution and retaliation.

Justice should never be about retribution or retaliation. It should about keeping dangerous folks from hurting others and for rehabilitation. Do you punish your children for your personal retribution or retaliation or do you punish them in hope that they never do it again? Hoping they change not just because of the punishment but because they realize what they did was wrong and never wish to repeat it .  

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Agreed. Folks need to remember that jail time doesn’t always relate to better persons. A long time in custody could have made him just that much worse. Kids make mistakes, I never believe this was intentional on his part. Does he deserve to pay? Yes . But what price. I do agree with whoever talked about the Drug use convictions though. Those are way out of line. When I was a kid if you got caught with booze you had to pour it out and your parents might get a phone call. You didn’t go to jail and have something o. Your record for the rest of your life. Had this been an adult I would have felt completely different and demanded more punishment. Hopefully he will learn from it and don’t doubt for a minute this situation won’t bring him plenty of sleepless nights. So he won’t escape punishment completely. I can’t even imagine living with myself in a case like his. 😞

I was the one who posted that. I also hope those who feel so strongly about not ruining this young man’s life also feel strongly when teens or young adults serve decades in jail for the selling and possession of drugs. Look at you “whiteboy Rick.” Go watch that documentary btw 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

I was the one who posted that. I also hope those who feel so strongly about not ruining this young man’s life also feel strongly when teens or young adults serve decades in jail for the selling and possession of drugs. Look at you “whiteboy Rick.” Go watch that documentary btw 

Well all drugs should be legal sooo...

1 minute ago, AUGunsmith said:

Well all drugs should be legal sooo...

But they are not sooo 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DAG said:

But they are not sooo 

So we have s*** head cops who aggress upon otherwise peaceable people for drug possession to be caged by the state for a victimless crime which leads to problems upon release with jobs and housing thus leading to more violence. 

Then to compound the issue with even more violence, since people want drugs, and since there is money to be made providing drugs, you end up with all the fun street crime. 

Just more proof that democracy is a God that failed. 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, DAG said:

As I said in my statement criminalizing grass is just stupid to begin with. Less addictive and less dangerous that alcohol. And really I’m not for criminalizing any drug use, drug sales is another world. I do agree about the color of justice is not equal in America. To prove it by far and away the vast majority of drug users are white while the vast majority who get time for drug use are black or brown. You can’t bend those facts. But back to this our justice system should never be about retribution it should be what’s best for us all going forward. Ruining someone’s life for a mistake at 16 does nothing for us. I will Bet money, knowing the quality of upbringing Rod’s kids had, they both would oppose destroying this young man’s life. Shows how good of people they are. 

Edited by Eagle Eye 7
  • Like 2

On a happier note!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

On 5/2/2021 at 12:37 PM, cbo said:

I'm also aware of parents doing everything they can to help their kids with mental and addiction issues. It doesn't always work overnight. 

They can take his keys away overnight

It is hard to argue that had he not been part of an affluent and well-connected family, he would have been tried as an adult and faced adult consequences. Minority and underprivileged kids years younger with similar past indiscretions get tried and sentenced as adults every day right here in Montgomery and I am guessing the same in Lee County.

59 minutes ago, JTFazz said:

It is hard to argue that had he not been part of an affluent and well-connected family, he would have been tried as an adult and faced adult consequences. Minority and underprivileged kids years younger with similar past indiscretions get tried and sentenced as adults every day right here in Montgomery and I am guessing the same in Lee County.

Which is a problem. To me, its not that he received the YO status, but that the overall application of the YO status is applied so unevenly across the spectrum.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1