Malzahn and the draft

AUght2win

QUOTE: "I hope we can get back to having 2 or 3 guys in the first 2 rounds every single season. "

Last year::

DAY 1

• DT Derrick Brown. Round 1, Pick 7, Carolina Panthers.
  • CB Noah Igbinoghene. Round 1, Pick 30, Miami Dolphins.
  • DL Marlon Davidson. Round 2, Pick 47, Atlanta Falcons.
  • OL Jack Driscoll. Round 4, Pick 145, Philadelphia Eagles.
Edited by Mikey
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

QUOTE: "I hope we can get back to having 2 or 3 guys in the first 2 rounds every single season. "

DAY 1

You make a good point and I appreciate you bringing that perspective. It's easy to go overboard on hatred for the old coach when it's time for him to go. I give Gus credit for bringing in a lot of talent and letting the D coaches handle their business.

The OP also has credibility, as there was a huge drop this year and the current roster is not in great shape. The situation was beyond stale. And the draft picks and best performance were coming from the side the head coach delegated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

DAY 1

Year before that, nobody until late 3rd. Same in 2017. 2016 we had nobody until MID 3rd. 

Gus, an offensive guru, never put an offensive player he signed into the first round. All in all, in 8 yesrs he had two 1st rounders and 3 second rounders. Verrry poor resume.

Over the exact same time period, Mark Stoops had more first rounders at Kentucky.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Gus produced two of our deepest drafts ever back to back if I remember correctly. 

This was a pretty poor showing as far as next level talent goes, but I think people are overdoing it with beating this drum. We're not some pre-eminent destination for first round talent anyway. Gus had 4 of those in 8 drafts (I started with the 2014 draft), we had 3 in the preceding 8 seasons. Even the 8 before that, which one could argue is the most consistent stretch that over half of the current stock of Auburn fans can remember, there was only about 2 more first rounders than Gus produced

There's a thousand different ways to interpret these numbers, but it just weirds me out that guys are dismissing his defensive first rounders, the relevancy of putting an average of about 4.3 guys in the draft every season, just to fit their agenda. The OP talks about putting 2 or 3 guys in the first 2 rounds, you can look through some of these drafts and see alot of back half of the second round prospects that kept that mantle going. Are guys now getting pushed down a couple more spots because Alabama, OSU, UGA, LSU and Clemson are producing like 80% of the day 1 picks??? Who knows! I think Gus underdeveloped some skill position guys, I also don't know what former massive draft success some people seem to want to reference is coming from!!

• Like 1

There was some stat wafting around on Twitter referencing Gus's average recruiting class that also mentioned the lack of first rounders, but...I'd think you'd at least want to include how other similarly placed teams performed in that section. Maybe you show it and even reinforces your premise, but people seem unable to show full context 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Gus produced two of our deepest drafts ever back to back if I remember correctly. 

This was a pretty poor showing as far as next level talent goes, but I think people are overdoing it with beating this drum. We're not some pre-eminent destination for first round talent anyway. Gus had 4 of those in 8 drafts (I started with the 2014 draft)

You absolutely cannot count guys who he did not sign or coach for at least two seasons. You can't contribute Greg Robinson's or Dee Ford's draft position to Gus Malzahn.

You're going out of your way to fudge the numbers. He had 2 legitimate 1st rounders in his time at Auburn, both last year.

If Tank goes first round in two years, I'd probably credit Gus with a third. Although an argument could be made that Harsin developed him.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I also don't know what former massive draft success some people seem to want to reference is coming from!!

You must not follow college football then. Auburn is no stranger to the first round. In fact, what we are experiencing now is a departure from the norm.

Over the past 35 seasons we've had 20 first round picks. We should be doing at least one every other year. 

• Like 2

The issue is that out of 28 four-star+ offensive recruits (only accounting draft eligible), only six players have been drafted while being recruited by Malzahn and playing for him for their full college tenure:

Kerryon Johnson, Braden Smith, Chandler Cox, Darius Slayton, Prince Tega, and Schwartz. 

Seth Williams will likely make it seven, which would put Galzahn at a 25% rate. That is slightly higher than national average, but expectations at Auburn are much higher than national average. “Solid” isn’t good enough here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

You absolutely cannot count guys who he did not sign or coach for at least two seasons. You can't contribute Greg Robinson's or Dee Ford's draft position to Gus Malzahn.

You're going out of your way to fudge the numbers. He had 2 legitimate 1st rounders in his time at Auburn, both last year.

If Tank goes first round in two years, I'd probably credit Gus with a third. Although an argument could be made that Harsin developed him.

I think it would depend on the premise of the argument. If you are talking about this from a recruiting standpoint, about him being able to identify talent, it would make sense, but the counterargument would be why is it just a blanket "nobody in the first two years counts"? shouldn't that just whoever he recruited?

If we are talking development and showcasing talent, then 2014 *IS* two full seasons in a program. That would be no different than counting a JUCO who finished their final two at Auburn. If Chizik gets to count Cam, it's fair that Gus would claim someone in 2014.

Edited by Auctoritas
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Gus was in year 8 at a Top 15 traditional power and the first guy drafted is late round 3. The rest of the draft doesn't look like we'll see many more of our guys taken, either.

I'm curious how this class stacks up to other draft classes produced by coaches in their 8th year at an upper echelon job.

I looked at how Malzahn stacked up to Dye and Tubbs.

In the '89 draft after Dye's 8th year, Lawyer Tillman went #31 overall, then 2 more second rounders, and Tracy Rocker was taken at the beginning of the third.

Tubbs' 8th season was 2006. In the 2007 draft we had Ben Grubbs go 1st round, then Kenny Irons in the 2nd.

Just another stat to confirm it was undeniably time for a change. I hope we can get back to having 2 or 3 guys in the first 2 rounds every single season.

Compare year 7 with the Brown and crew with the same as you compared with in eight. Interested to see how it works.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

DAY 1

I'm not sure you know what day 1 means.  Because you listed Day 1, 2, and 3

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not sure you know what day 1 means.  Because you listed Day 1, 2, and 3

What I did was copied and pasted from a website. I do not care about the NFL except for hoping that former AU players do well. If the website is wrong, apologies. From my personal knowledge the NFL draft could drag out with one player per day for 300 days and I wouldn't notice it.

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to Malzahn and the draft
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

What I did was copied and pasted from a website. I do not care about the NFL except for hoping that former AU players do well. If the website is wrong, apologies. From my personal knowledge the NFL draft could drag out with one player per day for 300 days and I wouldn't notice it.

Spin it, bud

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

What a terrible draft for AU.  Gus did not have these guys prepared and the ones that will be late picks would have been better off coming back.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

What a terrible draft for AU.  Gus did not have these guys prepared and the ones that will be late picks would have been better off coming back.

Seth made an unbelievably bad choice.

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

He may not have played as much this year.  He was lazy and pouted at times but Gus let him get away with it.  He may have known down deep that would not fly with the new staff and the leash would tighten.    

Edited by casatiger

34 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

IMO, with an extra year of eligibility available, every Auburn player that declared chose poorly.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

IMO, with an extra year of eligibility available, every Auburn player that declared chose poorly.

Some like Britt he's not getting taller. Might as well go now. Schwartz probably wouldn't have gotten much higher.

I do think Seth would have been a day two pick in a legit offense with a good season. 

5 minutes ago, casatiger said:

He may not have played as much this year.  He was lazy and pouted but Gus let him get away with it.  He may have known down deep that would not fly with the new staff and the leash would tighten.    

Attitude is fixable.

14 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Gus was in year 8 at a Top 15 traditional power and the first guy drafted is late round 3. The rest of the draft doesn't look like we'll see many more of our guys taken, either.

I'm curious how this class stacks up to other draft classes produced by coaches in their 8th year at an upper echelon job.

I looked at how Malzahn stacked up to Dye and Tubbs.

In the '89 draft after Dye's 8th year, Lawyer Tillman went #31 overall, then 2 more second rounders, and Tracy Rocker was taken at the beginning of the third.

Tubbs' 8th season was 2006. In the 2007 draft we had Ben Grubbs go 1st round, then Kenny Irons in the 2nd.

Just another stat to confirm it was undeniably time for a change. I hope we can get back to having 2 or 3 guys in the first 2 rounds every single season.

How many guys left early in those years you're using for comparison? Most players that would not have eentered the draft early but for a coaching change (e.g. many Auburn underclassmen in this draft) are not high draft picks. Kind of a dumb apples & oranges comparison thread.

9 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

How many guys left early in those years you're using for comparison? Most players that would not have eentered the draft early but for a coaching change (e.g. many Auburn underclassmen in this draft) are not high draft picks. Kind of a dumb apples & oranges comparison thread.

If we’d had no underclassmen leave early, this draft would’ve been even worse for AU.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, casatiger said:

He may not have played as much this year.  He was lazy and pouted at times but Gus let him get away with it.  He may have known down deep that would not fly with the new staff and the leash would tighten.    

That's why he should have stayed, to correct that. And this staff would have. But then again, if you have an attitude problem, you likely don't have the maturity to see you need to fix it. 

11 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Lol you have absolutely no basis for this claim.