Malzahn and the draft

AUght2win

55 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

HOW MUCH COFFEE IS TOO MUCH COFFEE IS FOUR CUPS TOO MUCH COFFEE HI HAPPY MONDAY GOLF

Depends on the size of CUPS

woman drinking coffee from large disposable cup at take away counter of cafe - coffee cup sizes stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images

• Haha 1

On 4/30/2021 at 11:41 PM, AUght2win said:

Gus was in year 8 at a Top 15 traditional power and the first guy drafted is late round 3. The rest of the draft doesn't look like we'll see many more of our guys taken, either.

I'm curious how this class stacks up to other draft classes produced by coaches in their 8th year at an upper echelon job.

I looked at how Malzahn stacked up to Dye and Tubbs.

In the '89 draft after Dye's 8th year, Lawyer Tillman went #31 overall, then 2 more second rounders, and Tracy Rocker was taken at the beginning of the third.

Tubbs' 8th season was 2006. In the 2007 draft we had Ben Grubbs go 1st round, then Kenny Irons in the 2nd.

Just another stat to confirm it was undeniably time for a change. I hope we can get back to having 2 or 3 guys in the first 2 rounds every single season.

Yup. I was looking at this as well. Five times during Gus' tenure we had NO ONE taken in the first two rounds. That's ridiculous when you look at the type of program we are/should be and the level of recruiting classes we were bringing in over the years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yup. I was looking at this as well. Five times during Gus' tenure we had NO ONE taken in the first two rounds. That's ridiculous when you look at the type of program we are/should be and the level of recruiting classes we were bringing in over the years.

With the talent we recruit? Absolutely. To be honest the way we turn our nose up at many of our own state recruits you'd think we were the elite of the elite in talent

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

And when we did have guys go early, it was overwhelmingly on one side of the ball.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

And when we did have guys go early, it was overwhelmingly on one side of the ball.

Best offensive player we've had in the NFL for a minute was/is Darius Slayton and we barely used him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I read somewhere the other day we are in the top ten in the country in the last 15 years 

1 hour ago, toddc said:

I read somewhere the other day we are in the top ten in the country in the last 15 years 

Maybe the last 15 years, which goes all the way back to Brandon Cox and before saban. Not the last 6, though. This link is from last year, but we did not jump any of these teams with this year's draft and we fell further behind most of them. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/19/nfl-draft-trends-show-which-colleges-have-most-success/

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Maybe the last 15 years, which goes all the way back to Brandon Cox and before saban. Not the last 6, though. This link is from last year, but we did not jump any of these teams with this year's draft and we fell further behind most of them. 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/19/nfl-draft-trends-show-which-colleges-have-most-success/

Here is a link to an article with more graphics similar to what @RunInRed posted which shows how Auburn's recruits underachieve when getting drafted as compared to our rivals.

https://medium.com/analytics-vidhya/i-created-a-propensity-model-that-predicts-the-likelihood-of-getting-drafted-in-the-nfl-for-every-df53cb6b8965

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Here is a link to an article with more graphics similar to what @RunInRed posted which shows how Auburn's recruits underachieve when getting drafted as compared to our rivals.

https://medium.com/analytics-vidhya/i-created-a-propensity-model-that-predicts-the-likelihood-of-getting-drafted-in-the-nfl-for-every-df53cb6b8965

The irony that our biggest "overachiever", at least of the last 5 years or so, is a wide receiver. 

I feel very sorry for those who are going to see this objective assessment of the program that our new coach inherited, the challenges it poses to him as he endeavors to rebuild it into a winner, and the benchmarks against which his performance will be judged and lose their damned minds over the continued "Gus bashing".

Just kidding. I won't feel sorry.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, AUDevil said:

No one said there would be home work. Just kidding, that's a great article. Looking at one chart that is consistent with what we all suspected/knew. And I'm only comparing two schools (I wonder which ones?)  Just makes me feel even better about our football coaching hire. One school did more with less, and the other school did less with more (in fact on the negative side of the probability).

1*stq01Fu3hBEdlgKMAqmCbw.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I don't care how many people Gus or any other Auburn coach had drafted; not one whit (whatever a whit is).  I care how many Auburn football games they win/won.  Gus failed where it mattered.  

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 12:52 PM, AUDevil said:

What a terrible draft for AU.  Gus did not have these guys prepared and the ones that will be late picks would have been better off coming back.

Gus is not prepared!! those guys did what they did own there own..

On 5/1/2021 at 1:54 PM, casatiger said:

He may not have played as much this year.  He was lazy and pouted at times but Gus let him get away with it.  He may have known down deep that would not fly with the new staff and the leash would tighten.    

Seth left because of #10 Gus put up with it because he knew why Seth was pissed.

46 minutes ago, eaglenest said:

Seth left because of #10 Gus put up with it because he knew why Seth was pissed.

Sadly, I'm not sure Gus did know...

• Like 2