Sure looking like it was a bad move for Seth to leave early

TitanTiger

I just think it's hilarious who people pick andchoose who to give excuses to......if it wasn't for Seth you whouldn't have a foundation to even begin an intellectual convo or a glimmer of hope that Bo can even potentially be a good QB in the future. 

Edited by cole256
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, DAG said:

The lack of urgency and inconsistencies as a big pass catcher can be maddening during tape study. Williams is a different receiver in the red zone, where his size and length are huge advantages on jump-ball battles. However, between the 20s, his routes lack salesmanship, he's unable to create separation and he fails to use his size to prevail. Despite some of the flashes and his overall potential, he doesn't have the field demeanor of a player with an NFL-caliber competitive streak. His physical traits are certainly worthy of a Day 3 selection, but he needs to play with more passion if he wants to make it as a long-term pro."

Alright, which one of you has been moonlighting as an NFL scout and wrote this?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Suuuuuper premature thread. 

There are a ton of variables that go into these decisions and the assumption that any player would've been better served with another year in college is naive, to put it kindly. 

Btw, Harsin had 2 WRs drafted while he was HC at Boise- a fifth rounder and a sixth rounder.

Predictable response from the fan base. Still frustrating.

PS- I'm not predicting anything for Seth or denying any observations about his attitude. But "low round draft position = shoulda stayed" is fallacious. 

High talent + low round draft position = definitely should have stayed. It's common sense. The draft is the only guaranteed money a kid will ever get from professional football. It's imperative they go as high as possible.

The character and effort issues would have been solved by Harsin. But, if Seth's problem is immaturity, he probably isn't going to be sold by the pitch of "this guy will straighten you out if you stay". 

Seth was the most talented WR I have seen at Auburn. It's embarrassing for him that he went so low.

19 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Most of his highlights are 50/50 balls or jumping over smaller dudes.  That's just gift not skill...he got schooled by Horn from South Carolina. That being said I hope he does well, and learns and grows into a good one. 

Let's not mischaracterize how talented Seth is/was.

Remember the guy he absolutely dominated for Kentucky? That corner went in the mid 2nd round. He also had success against Surtain and Diggs (drafted top 10 and 2nd round last year, respectively).

Seth was elite when he wanted to be.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

Seth was elite when he wanted to be.

Yep! This is why I believe it’s the other things . It has nothing to do with talent 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

I just think it's hilarious who people pick andchoose to give excuses to......if it wasn't for Seth you shouldn't even begin to have an intellectual idea of hope that Bo can even potentially be a good QB

Do you think it was a smart decision for him to leave...based only on what you know about Seth, his situation, and the program?

11 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Do you think it was a smart decision for him to leave...based only on what you know about Seth, his situation, and the program?

This is actually a very deep question and needs a very deep answer that takes in account of MANY things that it seems most won't give the thought for SW. Similarly just as the excuses go.

I'm actually trying to figure out wtf is really wrong with our fan base but I just think it would take me having to really get into other school's fan bases in depth and I just don't have the time.

But from a small sample it just so dumb how we hate our guys that are actually good and the foolish over hype we give to others.....much of it is the ol people are sheep and will run with anything they hear, like Thorpe, j Johnson, S. White a little, etc......

But it really depends on how much is actually true as far as his attitude. But we don't know what he has seen and it's entirely plausible that he just doesn't believe in Bo at all. And he wouldn't necessarily be wrong. He lives and dies with if Bo can be productive or not. Ihaven't seen one person even mention this and it's absolutely huge. 

But we are the same group who for the last 5 years blame EVERY wr coach for passing production.......so idk how much to even really expect.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh and coincidentally how many of Bo apologist have the worst things to say about him.....that literally is stupid. Makes absolutely no sense at all. 

21 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Most of his highlights are 50/50 balls or jumping over smaller dudes.  That's just gift not skill...he got schooled by Horn from South Carolina. That being said I hope he does well, and learns and grows into a good one. 

Spoken like a guy who can watch but doesn't really know about being an athlete

I don't think it would have hurt Seth to stay another year, given where he landed in the draft. Was it smart to leave? Maybe. Maybe not. Hard to say without knowing everything that went into his decision. I'm sure there was a lot more that went into that decision than simply draft position. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Yep! This is why I believe it’s the other things . It has nothing to do with talent 

The key takeaway from the statement was “when he wanted to” is what bothers me.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Hard to say without knowing everything that went into his decision. 

Hard to *know*. Unfortunately, plenty of people find it very easy to *say* things anyway.

(I'm with you and obviously just being... a way.)

• Like 1

Spoken like a guy who can watch but doesn't really know about being an athlete

Haha. I know what it is to be an athlete. I played all sports but stuck with the arts. If you read my post I'm critical but still want him to succeed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

He lives and dies with if Bo can be productive or not. Ihaven't seen one person even mention this and it's absolutely huge. 

His production wasn’t questioned that much by NFL scouts from what I read. They seemed to be more focused on his attitude and effort away from the play and when he wasn’t getting the ball. Those things have nothing to do with Bo. I don't know SW but I know what I saw way too many times during games, and it aligned with what the scouts saw. Bo will have his own questions to address with the scouts in a year or two. As for SW, I hope he thrives in the NFL and gets filthy rich doing it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm actually trying to figure out wtf is really wrong with our fan base but I just think it would take me having to really get into other school's fan bases in depth and I just don't have the time.

But from a small sample it just so dumb how we hate our guys that are actually good

You're overthinking it. Auburn fans just want what's best for our kids. Just like anybody you care about, you get upset when you see them not living up to their potential or making bad life choices.

If Auburn fans hated or didn't care about Seth, this wouldn't be a thread. I've heard Bama fans say verbatim "I don't care about our guys once they leave." 

• Like 1

The problem is 6th rounders (really starting with 5th rounders) are pretty expendable these days. They don't have much more invested in them than UDFA. All they are guaranteed is a signing bonus, and for lots of late round guys, that's the only money they'll ever get, whereas if you go in the early or mid rounds, you get a pretty sizable signing bonus and the franchise is more invested in you, therefore you get more time and leash to develop.

Seth will get around 150 grand if he signs. That's all he is guaranteed.

This reminds me of Jeff Holland, who also went to Denver, as an UDFA. It was a huge mistake, and he treaded water for 2 years on practice squads before being out of the league all together. 

According to this, Jeff only made about 200k in 2 years in the NFL. Now if anybody watched him play during the 2017 run, would you have ever dreamed he would make that little in the pros?

https://overthecap.com/player/jeff-holland/7142/

The thing about seth is he is 100% an alpha, but he lets things get to him and get him down easily. The times where his buttons were pushed, and he let it fuel him, he proceeded to embarrass dudes. I think with the right people he’ll be a stud. For him, I’m hoping that happens.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

The problem is 6th rounders (really starting with 5th rounders) are pretty expendable these days. They don't have much more invested in them than UDFA. All they are guaranteed is a signing bonus, and for lots of late round guys, that's the only money they'll ever get, whereas if you go in the early or mid rounds, you get a pretty sizable signing bonus and the franchise is more invested in you, therefore you get more time and leash to develop.

Seth will get around 150 grand if he signs. That's all he is guaranteed.

This reminds me of Jeff Holland, who also went to Denver, as an UDFA. It was a huge mistake, and he treaded water for 2 years on practice squads before being out of the league all together. 

According to this, Jeff only made about 200k in 2 years in the NFL. Now if anybody watched him play during the 2017 run, would you have ever dreamed he would make that little in the pros?

https://overthecap.com/player/jeff-holland/7142/

Yes, I did.  He was undersized and had no bend.  I also agree with him leaving when he did.  Take your shot at your dream when you can, most of us had that dream die in grade school or high school when it comes to being a pro athlete.  Was pulling for him and he got the most out of his ability and that is respect.

I’m wrong all the time, but I still think Seth is a steal in the 6th round. I wish my Titans would have taken him. The guy was very impressive at AU. One of the best we’ve had in recent history. Could have been a legend at a different time. 

• Like 2

I don’t think SW should’ve risk another year here with all the unknowns. New offense, new learning curve , same QB. Bet on yourself and I respect it 

• Like 1

Robert Johnson - man among boys TE we had a couple decades back. Made famous leap over would be tackler that made everybody's highlight real. Anyway,  he entered draft too early, got ignored and is sitting on a porch somewhere in Mississippi. 

42 minutes ago, cbo said:

I’m wrong all the time, but I still think Seth is a steal in the 6th round. I wish my Titans would have taken him. The guy was very impressive at AU. One of the best we’ve had in recent history. Could have been a legend at a different time. 

He could be a steal in the 6th round. Or, if he continues to loaf half the time they won't have much invested in him and can easily put him on the road.. Win/win from the team's point of view.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

I don’t think SW should’ve risk another year here with all the unknowns. New offense, new learning curve , same QB. Bet on yourself and I respect it 

Betting on yourself by leaving   VS   investing in yourself  by staying.    The ultimate conundrum. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

His production wasn’t questioned that much by NFL scouts from what I read. They seemed to be more focused on his attitude and effort away from the play and when he wasn’t getting the ball. Those things have nothing to do with Bo. I don't know SW but I know what I saw way too many times during games, and it aligned with what the scouts saw. Bo will have his own questions to address with the scouts in a year or two. As for SW, I hope he thrives in the NFL and gets filthy rich doing it. 

All that is great but as far as answering the question as far as SW leaving or coming back he has to think about what he thinks Bo will be able to accomplish because if Bo isn't too good then it affects him, even talking about his attitude, you don't know why he is so frustrated. 

To question a person's effort is so hilarious to me. How can people who can't even come close to performing on the level question what to do?

Then on top of that how is it when certain people do the same thing it's ok but for others it's not. It's stupid

• Thanks 1