Auburn's Outgoing Transfers

Zeek

Read a comment from Harsin on another site about some players still not showing up for workouts.

59 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

That is a long and sad list.

Time will tell. I know a lot recent AU transfers have gone on to smaller schools and/or have not been huge contributors at their new school. Example: Asa Martin, Charles Moore, Calvin Ashley. I do hope this staff has less misses on evaluations and creates a more stable roster. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think its hard to compare a Nick Saban hard work process to a Harsin hard work. All one has to do is hold out his hand  and show all the draft picks. Most of the players probably dont follow Boise football and had know clue who Harsin was until he was hired. Not sure if there would be this much attrition if a Mullen or Kirby type hire was made. Only time will tell and right now Auburn just need bodies. 

27 minutes ago, e808 said:

I think its hard to compare a Nick Saban hard work process to a Harsin hard work. All one has to do is hold out his hand  and show all the draft picks. Most of the players probably dont follow Boise football and had know clue who Harsin was until he was hired. Not sure if there would be this much attrition if a Mullen or Kirby type hire was made. Only time will tell and right now Auburn just need bodies. 

Huh? 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Huh? 

I think that person is saying that if a bigger name coach had come in and demanded the same commitment and results, he might've gotten more buy-in based on a more proven track record.

I think it's a fair suggestion when talking about saban. I think with kirby or smart, that person might be right that they'd retain more players, but I don't think that it would be out of sheer respect. I feel like they might be more likely to disregard fit- cultural and scheme-wise- and tell kids whatever they want to here just to keep more bodies around. (And then maybe process them later.) 

All of it could be wrong. I have no clue what attrition was like at bama, uga and UF when those coaches started. I do know that bama returned a ton of starters from '06 to '07.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I think that person is saying that if a bigger name coach had come in and demanded the same commitment and results, he might've gotten more buy-in based on a more proven track record.

I think it's a fair suggestion when talking about saban. I think with kirby or smart, that person might be right that they'd retain more players, but I don't think that it would be out of sheer respect. I feel like they might be more likely to disregard fit- cultural and scheme-wise- and tell kids whatever they want to here just to keep more bodies around. (And then maybe process them later.) 

All of it could be wrong. I have no clue what attrition was like at bama, uga and UF when those coaches started. I do know that bama returned a ton of starters from '06 to '07.

Thanks McLoofus. U on the money

• Like 2

Just now, McLoofus said:

Maybe but I haven’t heard anybody reference Nick Saban which is why I am so confused . What I will say is the coaches who built a culture didn’t just wake up great and started doing it. Nick Saban, Phil Jackson , Greg popovich, Bill Belichik, all probably did the same stuff before they were who they were. Let me rephrase this. I know they did. Lifelong Spurs fan here, people don’t remember when San Antonio wanted Coach Pop fired in his first couple of years. Nick Saban probably was doing this same stuff at USD and Michigan State. Regardless , whether people accept it or not . This is what it is and people going to have to learn to accept it or move on. BTW, not arguing at you. Thanks for the clarification and writing it in comprehensive terms. 

• Like 2

Just now, DAG said:

Maybe but I haven’t heard anybody reference Nick Saban which is why I am so confused . What I will say is the coaches who built a culture didn’t just wake up great and started doing it. Nick Saban, Phil Jackson , Greg popovich, Bill Belichik, all probably did the same stuff before they were who they were. Let me rephrase this. I know they did. Lifelong Spurs fan here, people don’t remember when San Antonio wanted Coach Pop fired in his first couple of years. Nick Saban probably was doing this same stuff at USD and Michigan State. Regardless , whether people accept it or not . This is what it is and people going to have to learn to accept it or move on. BTW, not arguing at you. Thanks for the clarification and writing it in comprehensive terms. 

Right, and e808 was just saying that anyone would buy what one of those great coaches is selling *now*. But when they were first starting out, they probably had a lot of guys what were like "Who TH does this clown think he is" and walked and we might be seeing some of that with our own team now.

I don't think e808 was suggesting that Harsin is doing anything wrong or that he won't be very successful with these methods. Just going to take some time for him to build that trust with current players and future recruits.

@e808, please tell me to stop speaking on your behalf and/or tell me if I'm wrong any time, lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Right, and e808 was just saying that anyone would buy what one of those great coaches is selling *now*. But when they were first starting out, they probably had a lot of guys what were like "Who TH does this clown think he is" and walked and we might be seeing some of that with our own team now.

I don't think e808 was suggesting that Harsin is doing anything wrong or that he won't be very successful with these methods. Just going to take some time for him to build that trust with current players and future recruits.

@e808, please tell me to stop speaking on your behalf and/or tell me if I'm wrong any time, lol

I get that now. It just threw me off because it was written like a rebuttal. Not a new discussion piece. 

• Like 1

To me it is still an unknown if Harsin was a good hire or not.  But I won't pass judgement on him if we have a 6-6 (or worse) season this year after losing all these players.  Harsin needs some time to get his recruiting program going. 

Sometimes you have to take a short term step backwards in order to make long term strides forward.  

• Like 7
  • Love 2

Just now, countoff said:

To me it is still an unknown if Harsin was a good hire or not.  But I won't pass judgement on him if we have a 6-6 (or worse) season this year after losing all these players.  Harsin needs some time to get his recruiting program going. 

Sometimes you have to take a short term step backwards in order to make long term strides forward.  

We won’t know a thing until two years or so down the line. No need to be reactive even if we have a golden season this next year. History has shown from our previous successors what reactive behavior could lead to 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Naw u good. I am not suggestion Harsin is doing something wrong. That might be the thought of some of the players. However, its just an opinion. I cant prove it. 

• Like 2

I'll give it to them, the staff seems to be excellent decruiters so far. I hope this means that they are raising the personal accountability standards and have a crystal-clear vision for what they want to fill the void left by the departures. We had a very light signing class, and we have effectively lost 75% of another signing class from transfers/early draft entries. 

2 hours ago, countoff said:

This is a refreshing take. Spot on

47 minutes ago, BigBlueWDE said:

I'll give it to them, the staff seems to be excellent decruiters so far. I hope this means that they are raising the personal accountability standards and have a crystal-clear vision for what they want to fill the void left by the departures. We had a very light signing class, and we have effectively lost 75% of another signing class from transfers/early draft entries. 

It makes me nervous to say the least, the list is long.  I'm also willing to wait it out and give it 2-3 yrs to see what improvement can be made with this staff. 

If we are gonna talk about Saban it’d probably be fair to point out issues he had with players when he first got to Bama.  I don’t remember names but one of their top WRs from Shula era was an issue.  Once Saban got rid of the problem children in 2007, 2008 looked like a completely different team.  I’m sure a lot of us laughed as they lost to ULM and tanked to end the season.  We aren’t laughing now.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

If we are gonna talk about Saban it’d probably be fair to point out issues he had with players when he first got to Bama.  I don’t remember names but one of their top WRs from Shula era was an issue.  Once Saban got rid of the problem children in 2007, 2008 looked like a completely different team.  I’m sure a lot of us laughed as they lost to ULM and tanked to end the season.  We aren’t laughing now.

That was DJ Hall. I was skeptical of the Saban hire being a great one. When he ran DJ Hall off I knew we were going to be dealing with a different UA than the one under Shula where dealing with discipline was “buying them an ice cream cone” (see Juwan Simpson).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, e808 said:

Naw u good. I am not suggestion Harsin is doing something wrong. That might be the thought of some of the players. However, its just an opinion. I cant prove it. 

I apologize buddy. Sorry if I came off as a dick. I absolutely agree with your stance.

53 minutes ago, DAG said:

I apologize buddy. Sorry if I came off as a dick. I absolutely agree with your stance.

All good DAG. I understand that we can all agree to disagree. Everyone wants Auburn do well. We have constantly seen glimmers but nothing has really been sustained.

I think Harold Joiner is the biggest loss for AU on the transfer list. I thought he showed a lot of determination the few opportunities he got, and I didn't see any evidence of him shying away from anyone. When thinking of the situation we have at RB, I definitely think he is the biggest loss. Next season will tell us how big of a loss.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Win4AU said:

We also laughed at how excited they were about that first #1 recruiting class. Been desperate for one of our own ever since. 

• Thanks 1

I think where the disparity is coming from is what we, as Auburn fans, have become used to with the first recruiting classes with our last two head coaches taking over.  Gene Chizik's first class had a national rank of 23rd in the nation with five 4* players.  The following year his national ranking with 6th with two 5* players, plus Cam Newton.  Gus Malzahn's first class had a ranking of of 10th in the country with two 5* players.  His second class had a national ranking of 6th in the country with two 5* players.

I think what we are seeing is one side of the fan base expecting with a new head coach to get a splash recruiting class with recruits excited about the new coaching staff, let alone Auburn should just be pulling in 4* players with the brand recognition alone.  The other side knows that the new HC needs to prove themselves on the field and better develop the players before the top recruits come in.  Personally, I fall in the middle where I do think we should be landing a little bit better of a class, but also want to give Harsin the time he deserves to prove to recruits they want to come here to be developed and compete for championships.

A change in culture doesn't always work out for some guys, and I think this is one of those situations where both parties win. 

If we were having a mass exodus in the 3rd year of a coaches tenure, it would be more worrisome. 

• Like 5