Auburn's Outgoing Transfers

Zeek

2 minutes ago, Knight407 said:

We are 👀👀 , we’re pretty much vultures . For what it is worth we have been following Bryan Harsin and he is a good coach . I do expect some growing pains coming feom mountain west to SEC .

No doubt. And welcome. Post often. Hopefully Gus finds success with your Knights. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Win4AU said:

MAR still doesn’t make a lot of sense unless he just loves Gus.  

If only Malzahn had produced some 1000 yard rushers/season, he'd have loyal RBs. Oh wait...

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 9:44 AM, Zeek said:

QB Cord Sandberg -> EKU

RB DJ Williams -> FSU

RB Harold Joiner-> Michigan State

RB Mark Antony-Richarda -> UCF

WR Matthew Hill -> USF

OL Kamaar Bell -> FAU

OL Justin Osborne -> SMU

DL Daquan Newkirk -> UF

DL Coynis Miller -> JSU

DL Big Kat Bryant -> UCF

LB Octavius Brothers -> Purdue

LB Josh Marsh -> ???

DL Jay Hardy -> ???

DL Jaren Handy -> ???

QB Chayil Garnett  -> ???

DB Chris Thomson Jr. -> ???

Lots of debate over whether this is something to panic about, natural attrition, or if bad apples are being pushed out.

Regardless, four DL (though we added one through the transfer portal) and 3 RB have been brutal to our depth.

I started a new thread a few minutes ago about transfers before seeing this one. I will just copy my post to here and delete my thread. Sorry

I know every team faces attrition and players leaving for different reasons every single year. I don't know if a team has had departures as top heavy in the class rankings as AU has had over the last 4-5 years. 

Here are the guys who have transferred out ranked highest to lowest for each of the last 5 classes. Bold are 4 star guys, Bold and underlines are top 300

2016:

(3) NAte Craig Myers

4- Antwuan Jackson

5- Kyle Davis

8-Woody Barrett

9- Landon Rice

10- John Broussard JR

13 Paul James III

15- John Franklin III

16- Marlon Character

17 Tre Threat

18- Jayvaughn Myers

19 Stephen Davis Jr

21 Marquis McClain

13-23 left.

2017: --- 2017 class actually held together pretty well minus losing the only 5 star guy (regardless how we feel about him or his potential and ranking)

1- Calvin Ashley 5*

7- Big Kat Bryant ** Grad TRF

1- Joey Gatewood

2- Matthew Hill

3- Coynis Miller

4- Harold Joiner

9- Asa Martin

12- Michael Harris

13- Richard Jibunor

14-Daquan Newkirk

20- Kolbi Fuqua

22- Josh Marsh

10-23

2019:

3- Charles Moore

4- Marc Antony Richards

5- Jaren Handy

9- Cam Kelly

10- Jashawn Sheffield

11- DJ Williams

17- Justin Osborne

18- Kamaar Bell

20- OC Brothers

note- Also had transfer Zach Farrar who left as well

10-21 left

The 2016, 2018 and 2019 classes were decimated and several of the higher rated guys.  

In that 4 years stretch I believe we signed 42 TOP 300 players. Of the those 42 players, 19 transferred out. 45.2% of our top 300 have transferred. 

Sometime when I have more time I will go look at some other teams and try to find a transfer list to compare. I am sure the numbers are probably close as far as general attrition, I just don't believe other teams offer losing as many of their higher rated signees. 

What does this say about the previous staff in your opinion? Bad Evals? Bad development? Bad Roster Management? All of the above? Something else? Nothing?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I think with kirby or smart

I always knew he had multiple personalities like a Jeckel and Hyde thing going!!!!. Lesbian Gym Teacher by day, Buffalo WW's Bartender by night!

• Love 1

1 minute ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I always knew he had multiple personalities like a Jeckel and Hyde thing going!!!!. Lesbian Gym Teacher by day, Buffalo WW's Bartender by night!

Holy crap I'd heard the first one before but never the 2nd... oh man, it's perfect... every business traveler's best friend on that midweek night in rural Ohio in January when driving 25 minutes to that place that was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives isn't in the cards when there's a 24 oz draft beer and a basket of wings and 30 TVs waiting for you right there in the hotel parking lot...

Sorry, that was specific, but IYKYK

• Like 1
  • Love 3

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Holy crap I'd heard the first one before but never the 2nd... oh man, it's perfect... every business traveler's best friend on that midweek night in rural Ohio in January when driving 25 minutes to that place that was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives isn't in the cards when there's a 24 oz draft beer and a basket of wings and 30 TVs waiting for you right there in the hotel parking lot...

When  read the "Kirby or Smart" post, I went right to the Les'bean gym teacher, then I thought....what else or where else have I seen "Kirby Smart"....Only every single BWWs restaurant I have ever been to.

• Love 1

Where are all of these SEC Portal kids going? If most programs already have 20+  signees, are there enough slots for those kids to land somewhere with a schollie? The top 20%  of the transfers will always have several options but the bottom tier may be SOL. I think a large portion of our guys (good for them) probably fall in that top group.

40 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

What does this say about the previous staff in your opinion? Bad Evals? Bad development? Bad Roster Management? All of the above? Something else? Nothing?

What stands out about the list is that only a couple have made significant impact in another Power 5 program. Obviously some of it is bad evaluation and some is poor development. But I believe an underrated part of it is recruiting strategically for specific systems and roles instead of just taking athletes and hoping to plug them in later. Our current staff will hopefully be a step up in that regard. 

• Like 1

Transfer portal needs a revisit. No way you can lose 15-20 transfer players annually (in addition to the graduating class and early exits to the draft) and expect to fill out a team of 85 w/ only the +25 allotment. 

We are going to look like an expansion team this year. 50% of the roster is turning over.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

If only Malzahn had produced some 1000 yard rushers/season, he'd have loyal RBs. Oh wait...

I'm not following.  Gus had a great rushing attack when he had an oline to block.  The past 2-3 seasons when the oline has been patch work at best the running game has suffered.  MAR was at Auburn when there was an opportunity for a RB to step up and he got stepped over.  He could be in the rotation to get significant carries at Auburn this year plus be involved in a passing attack.  Maybe he'll be RB1 at UCF?  I have no idea what their roster looks like.

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

When was the last time Auburn had a 1,000 yrd rusher?

2017?

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Oh man, do I know. I research the best local restaurants before the trip and leave town with huge plans. By Day 2, I'm choking down mediocre nachos and basking in the glow of 2 for 1 beer and convenience. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I started a new thread a few minutes ago about transfers before seeing this one. I will just copy my post to here and delete my thread. Sorry

I know every team faces attrition and players leaving for different reasons every single year. I don't know if a team has had departures as top heavy in the class rankings as AU has had over the last 4-5 years. 

Here are the guys who have transferred out ranked highest to lowest for each of the last 5 classes. Bold are 4 star guys, Bold and underlines are top 300

2016:

(3) NAte Craig Myers

4- Antwuan Jackson

5- Kyle Davis

8-Woody Barrett

9- Landon Rice

10- John Broussard JR

13 Paul James III

15- John Franklin III

16- Marlon Character

17 Tre Threat

18- Jayvaughn Myers

19 Stephen Davis Jr

21 Marquis McClain

13-23 left.

2017: --- 2017 class actually held together pretty well minus losing the only 5 star guy (regardless how we feel about him or his potential and ranking)

1- Calvin Ashley 5*

7- Big Kat Bryant ** Grad TRF

1- Joey Gatewood

2- Matthew Hill

3- Coynis Miller

4- Harold Joiner

9- Asa Martin

12- Michael Harris

13- Richard Jibunor

14-Daquan Newkirk

20- Kolbi Fuqua

22- Josh Marsh

10-23

2019:

3- Charles Moore

4- Marc Antony Richards

5- Jaren Handy

9- Cam Kelly

10- Jashawn Sheffield

11- DJ Williams

17- Justin Osborne

18- Kamaar Bell

20- OC Brothers

note- Also had transfer Zach Farrar who left as well

10-21 left

The 2016, 2018 and 2019 classes were decimated and several of the higher rated guys.  

In that 4 years stretch I believe we signed 42 TOP 300 players. Of the those 42 players, 19 transferred out. 45.2% of our top 300 have transferred. 

Sometime when I have more time I will go look at some other teams and try to find a transfer list to compare. I am sure the numbers are probably close as far as general attrition, I just don't believe other teams offer losing as many of their higher rated signees. 

Gus was the worst head coach to walk the sidelines at Auburn......... everyone associated with Auburn is at fault for this debacle..

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 3
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

2013 and 2017 alone puts him ahead of about 80% of coaches here I'd say

As tired of his foibles as I was, and as happy as I was to see him go, I have to agree.

15 hours ago, cbo said:

Oh man, do I know. I research the best local restaurants before the trip and leave town with huge plans. By Day 2, I'm choking down mediocre nachos and basking in the glow of 2 for 1 beer and convenience. 

And after that kirby smart-looking bartender calls you "Boss" for the 4th time, by golly you are The Boss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

As tired of his foibles as I was, and as happy as I was to see him go, I have to agree.

If you look at what non-interested parties consider the most notable IBs/DSORs, he was apart of 4 of the former and 2 of the latter. Almost had another with that miracle 4th quarter vs 2019 UGA. The guy knew how to put on a show, once upon a time 😢

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

2013 and 2017 alone puts him ahead of about 80% of coaches here I'd say

Gus should have been shown the door after the LSU game in 2017 just on comment alone,( it's not the end of the world) it is fans like you that help put Auburn in it's current state..

• Love 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If you look at what non-interested parties consider the most notable IBs/DSORs, he was apart of 4 of the former and 2 of the latter. Almost had another with that miracle 4th quarter vs 2019 UGA. The guy knew how to put on a show, once upon a time 😢

Think about why those were really so memorable, though. 

He gets credit for beating some really good bama teams and one good uga team- remember,  we were ranked 7th in 2013 and uga was ranked 25th, and we still needed extraordinary luck on a terrible pass to beat them at home- but the fact that we were such big underdogs in most of them isn't really an endorsement of his tenure. 

2013 bama, 2017 bama and uga, and 2019 bama were very good wins. I'll give him that. But after 8 years of a schedule that provided opportunity for 4-5 really good wins a year, we didn't get so many. 

Gus was better than Chizik, for sure. And a better overall program runner than Tot, maybe. Definitely not as good of a play caller. He wasn't as good of a coach as Tubs or Dye. Also, keep in mind that his 2010 national title was with Tubs's OLs and his 2013 appearance was with Chizik's. And he never even sniffed another year like 2013. No, 2017 wasn't particularly close just because of those wins in November. 

Oh, and Tot would be remembered much, much differently if those '93 games had been on TV. Plus he had '94 LSU and UF. That was like a '13 and '17 in back to back seasons. 

• Like 2

I guess where I am confused is it seems from the outside looking in that the majority of the players entering the portal are from the defensive side of the ball.  Before the transfers, if I was forced to make a guess I would have guessed it would be the offensive side of the ball where the transfers would happen due to the more complex offense.  To me, the defensive players would easily be able to adjust to Mason’s system due to their discipline from Steele.  Could maybe a defensive mind on here help clarify for me?  Genuinely asking so I can better understand and be better educated. 

This is from Harsin, in an interview  with" The Athletic ". Might explain some of the transfers:

“We’re at the stage now where, right now, I’d say it’s probably 50-50. Some guys have figured it all out, and some are still just trying to show up on time. That’s what this is about every day. We can do something well for two or three days and we can absolutely have a disaster — five, six guys just don’t show up. Don’t show up. Where is your culture? Is it still solid or has it gone backwards? The culture piece is about expectations and behaviors. … To do that day-in and and day-out is the consistency piece. Are you disciplined enough to do that? Are you tough enough to do that? Do you believe in what we’re doing?”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1