Jump to content
Null

Recommended Posts

Anyone see the LSU game? particularly our last AB?

saw we lost another 1 run game. Weak hitting again. 

In last inning had runner on 2nd, no outs in tie game. I assume the next batter tried to bunt her over to 3rd. But how did the runner on 2nd end up getting tagged out? 
 

It cost us from any kind of rally. 

Link to post
Share on other sites




40 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Anyone see the LSU game? particularly our last AB?

saw we lost another 1 run game. Weak hitting again. 

In last inning had runner on 2nd, no outs in tie game. I assume the next batter tried to bunt her over to 3rd. But how did the runner on 2nd end up getting tagged out? 
 

It cost us from any kind of rally. 

AU doubled to start 7th. We didn't try to bunt her over for some reason.

LSU opened the bottom of the 7th with a double and then bunted her over.

So......poor decision by AU coach? Yes IMHO.

Softball vs LSU on 5/7/2021 - Box Score - Auburn University Athletics (auburntigers.com)

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

AU doubled to start 7th. We didn't try to bunt her over for some reason.

LSU opened the bottom of the 7th with a double and then bunted her over.

So......poor decision by AU coach? Yes IMHO.

Softball vs LSU on 5/7/2021 - Box Score - Auburn University Athletics (auburntigers.com)

The foul out by Garcia after the double may have been a poor bunt attempt. Not sure. 
but the next batter hitting somehow the runner at 2nd must have tried to go to third or got caught in a rundown. May have been a poor base running decision. 
Our lack of hitting may have caused a forced running mistake. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

The foul out by Garcia after the double may have been a poor bunt attempt. Not sure. 
but the next batter hitting somehow the runner at 2nd must have tried to go to third or got caught in a rundown. May have been a poor base running decision. 
Our lack of hitting may have caused a forced running mistake. 

Yes, Packer hit a grounder near 3rd. Horton, who was pinch running for Dowell, got caught in a run down between 2nd and 3rd. While the attention was on her, Packer was able to get to 2nd. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I listened to the LSU radio broadcast.  It was painful hearing the announcer comparing our stats to LSU.  He was not demeaning AU, just being factual which was painful to hear.  I will say that he pretty much stuck to just calling the game without trying to add a lot of "color".  The game sounded pretty much like a replay of our last 7 or 8 games and I had a feeling I knew what the outcome would be at the end.  I believe the out by Garcia was a pop up hit attempt; not a bunt attempt.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have played, followed, managed and coached baseball for longer than I care to admit. I have followed and been a fan of AU softball for 30 years or more. This is the worst hitting/scoring team I have ever seen at any level of either sport. It defies all reason! How can scholarship players become so inept at the plate? At some point in their lives they could hit at least a little or they wouldn't be on a college team. It's mind-boggling!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

I believe the out by Garcia was a pop up hit attempt; not a bunt attempt.  

Yes. It was a foul that was caught against the net between home and first. One of the announcers even labeled it as an "interesting strategy" and suggested that Garcia should have bunted. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So many little decisions that add up to bad results.  A coach can get by with those when he has good pitching and plays lesser competition.  You won't get by with it in the SEC.  You will get exposed.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Clock has to be ticking on Dean.  I'm sympathetic to the circumstance under which he arrived, but this is ridiculous.  He's had more than enough time to establish his way of doing things, and it aint working.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, EagleEye67 said:

Clock has to be ticking on Dean.  I'm sympathetic to the circumstance under which he arrived, but this is ridiculous.  He's had more than enough time to establish his way of doing things, and it aint working.

That's true. Had to give Dean a little slack when he came in, but this is his 4th year, so in the last 2 years he should have better hitting and situational success. 

As someone posted above, its' a coaching problem when a whole team is so inept at hitting and producing runs. There are good hitters on this team, that even when we  are not playing against an Ace pitcher still struggle to produce doubles, HRs, and gap hits.

When was the last time this team had double digit hits in a game? This team is last in the SEC in hitting. We have 80 less RBIs than the next team above us which is LSU. You can't make this stuff up....

Shelby Lowe has to be totally #$%%@^!!  She has lost 4 out of her last 5 games, giving up no more than 2 runs/game and pitched into the 7th inning in every game. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, TD1 said:

Yes. It was a foul that was caught against the net between home and first. One of the announcers even labeled it as an "interesting strategy" and suggested that Garcia should have bunted. 

That's what I thought. The LSU coach played the right odds and Dean didn't. Makes you wonder why in a game tied in the top of the 9th.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As steel eagle stated, Dean deserved a couple of years to recruit his players and implement his coaching strategy. Four years later, no progress except for an exceptional pitcher in Lowe and potentially a stellar pitcher in Penta. I've always supported the team, it's the only sport I watch anymore, and will continue to support the team. Dean, on the other hand, has shown nothing in the skills that it takes to coach at this level.

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

That's what I thought. The LSU coach played the right odds and Dean didn't. Makes you wonder why in a game tied in the top of the 9th.

Hard to say. Garcia bats 5th so maybe he has confidence in her hitting away more than bunting. Her avg is not great, less than .260 I think I saw, but most of our hitters are under .300. 

Getting in a run down as a SR player as the tying run on 2nd base was the killer, although the hitter ended up at 2nd anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Hard to say. Garcia bats 5th so maybe he has confidence in her hitting away more than bunting. Her avg is not great, less than .260 I think I saw, but most of our hitters are under .300. 

Getting in a run down as a SR player as the tying run on 2nd base was the killer, although the hitter ended up at 2nd anyway. 

I'm not a coach but I bet the majority of them would have called for a bunt in these circumstances. But hindsight is great😀

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

LSU has had some errors this game but we seem to be doing better with the situational hitting. I've been frustrated with their bunting skills this season but it's working tonight. 

  • Facepalm 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We just scored a run without a hit..... 👏

Seems like we have scored more runs tonight than in any SEC series all year. 

Edited by AU1947
Link to post
Share on other sites

We've been waiting all season for a game like this.  Maybe just maybe this is the spark we've needed.  Hitting is contagious and so is confidence.  The way the team was having fun was great.  A lot of bottled up frustration that we can carry into this week knowing we have a chance when we put the ball in play.  All season we have failed to get the clutch hit.  You can coach and scheme, but players have to make plays.  Let's take this series and start the tournament on a high note.  War Eagle ladies!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, saminbama said:

We've been waiting all season for a game like this.  Maybe just maybe this is the spark we've needed.  Hitting is contagious and so is confidence.  The way the team was having fun was great.  A lot of bottled up frustration that we can carry into this week knowing we have a chance when we put the ball in play.  All season we have failed to get the clutch hit.  You can coach and scheme, but players have to make plays.  Let's take this series and start the tournament on a high note.  War Eagle ladies!

And hopefully everyone we play will spot us 4 unearned runs and commit 3 costly errors.... wouldn't that be nice

Edited by AU1947
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...