walk on Michael Whitmore

johnjacob

That first defensive play, where he smothers the opposing PG, then picks his pocket and take it in for the And 1, was just sick.

I love bringing him in as a walk-on. Gives us one more backup to ensure we don't end up in a position like last year. Hopefully we'll pull one more SEC-caliber guard, whether it's Scoot or not, but it'll be nice having more options at the point than one phenom and a few guys who have to learn the position on the fly.

He plays with a lot of attitude and does not have a bit of back down in him. He is listed at 5'11" from what i have seen on line. So he is probably closer to 5'9" i would guess. Looks quick and has a great handle. Not a whole lot of videos of him shooting in the highlights posted above. Gotta have that deep shot to make it as a PG at his size. I think it speaks a lot to the respect Pearl has that he would walk on at AU versus going to a lower division school to get his start in the college game. Shows he has a lot of confidence in himself being able to play at the highest levels. Look forward to seeing how he develops!

16 hours ago, Rednilla said:

That first defensive play, where he smothers the opposing PG, then picks his pocket and take it in for the And 1, was just sick.

I love bringing him in as a walk-on. Gives us one more backup to ensure we don't end up in a position like last year. Hopefully we'll pull one more SEC-caliber guard, whether it's Scoot or not, but it'll be nice having more options at the point than one phenom and a few guys who have to learn the position on the fly.

I was thinking the same thing about him being a nice insurance in case PGs get hurt or get too many fouls. I won't be surprised to see him win a scholly. The kid can play.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gravejd said:

He plays with a lot of attitude and does not have a bit of back down in him. He is listed at 5'11" from what i have seen on line. So he is probably closer to 5'9" i would guess. Looks quick and has a great handle. Not a whole lot of videos of him shooting in the highlights posted above. Gotta have that deep shot to make it as a PG at his size. I think it speaks a lot to the respect Pearl has that he would walk on at AU versus going to a lower division school to get his start in the college game. Shows he has a lot of confidence in himself being able to play at the highest levels. Look forward to seeing how he develops!

I read he was 5'9. So he is the same size as Harper. I saw a video of him dunking too. 

Kid can Hoop! Does he have any free ride offers? Hard to believe he doesn't. I'd take a flyer on this guy all day long. 

• Like 1

• WarTiger changed the title to walk on Michael Whitmore

Extra PG insurance. Instant take. Can't imagine he didn't get offers from smaller schools. He must REALLY want it. Wall to wall energy. Under certain, limited game situations, you could throw him in there to create chaos as a defensive spark plug to harass opposing guards.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I saw the the Twitter feed of practice.  Has anybody watched any of the practices and if so does this young man look like he can earn some legit PT.  I l have a soft spot for walk-ons. In football we have had some really good ones but I don't remember any in basketball. This young mans quickness and ball handling skills makes me think he could prove that he deserves some legit PT.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I saw the the Twitter feed of practice.  Has anybody watched any of the practices and if so does this young man look like he can earn some legit PT.  I l have a soft spot for walk-ons. In football we have had some really good ones but I don't remember any in basketball. This young mans quickness and ball handling skills makes me think he could prove that he deserves some legit PT.

The first two guys in that group back in 17 and 18 were pretty good. It actually seems like it’s harder to get that caliber of walk on once you become better in recruiting. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2021 at 11:45 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

The first two guys in that group back in 17 and 18 were pretty good. It actually seems like it’s harder to get that caliber of walk on once you become better in recruiting. 

If a kid wants to get into coaching; being on Pearl's bench for four years would be appealing even if one does not get any PT. 

1 hour ago, johnjacob said:

If a kid wants to get into coaching; being on Pearl's bench for four years would be appealing even if one does not get any PT. 

Walk ons that are good enough to start elsewhere usually don’t do it for coaching purposes 

Those are usually the worst walk ons 

This young man is coming in as a walk on with a chip on his shoulder.  Because of his size none of the big boys gave him a look.  When I watch his film I see quickness and speed and a lot of desire. he plays hard on ball handlers and will be disruptive but if they get down low they will be able to post him.  I have said earlier I would not be surprised to see him earn some legit PT not just at end of game when we clear our bench.