FCS football in Spring permanently?

bootskii

It has been brought up that the FCS football schedule could be moved to the spring time. I for one love that idea. I am not a big basketball fan so for me it extends the college football season even though it's FCS. It would give these FCS guys some much needed television coverage in order to show their skills. I could see people actually choosing a favorite FCS team which could give these schools additional revenue. The only draw back is how the season would correlate with the NFL draft. These seniors would still be playing when the draft is going on. How do you feel about it? What do you guys think would be the pro's and con's of moving the FCS schedule to spring?

• Like 1

I would watch it. I watch any college football I can get my eyeballs on. Saturdays in the fall? absolutely. Also later in the season when it is Tuesday or Wednesday MACtion, the thursday game, and Friday...

Bowl season? gimme more.

There are some great FCS teams out there, with great traditions and stadiums and settings and fanbases. I say lets see them!

• Like 1

FCS football.  Pay a modest donation and  park in a VIP 50 feet from the gates, enjoy a meal and a beer in the hospitality room, walk across the hall to my premium seats and watch some quality athletes with a few NFL prospects play fundamentally sound football against a team of college students from Furman or The Citadel.  If they are winning everyone is happy, if they are not you talk to your friends and neighbors and plan a nice evening out.  Once a year you travel to a SEC stadium and hope that Rocky can make it to the last round and throw a haymaker.

We don't want to throw away college football.   When ya'll get sick of seeing the same teams with players who just want to go the Lebron route to win an ugly ring your welcome to come watch, on Saturdays in the Fall.

Little doc

• Like 1

I paid less attention to the teams that played this Spring than I would have if they had played in the Fall. Fall and football go together. Plus, if FCS plays in the Spring then they won't be playing Power 5 schools for the big payday they desperately want.

• Like 2

On 5/12/2021 at 11:46 AM, TigerTale said:

if FCS plays in the Spring then they won't be playing Power 5 schools for the big payday they desperately want.

This is a very important point. Although Kansas may be happy they can’t be beat by FCS teams anymore lol

• Haha 1

A lot of the FCS teams are always looking to move up and they get there by playing the big schools and getting the money for playing them.  

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a college football junkie. I can't wait to decide what is gonna get cooked and drank, flop over on the couch and have 3 different devices showing games and try to keep up. I was excited for spring ball but only watched 2 games. I kept forgetting about them and wish I hadn't. Wouldn't mind seeing a permanent change (and remember to watch) bc I just don't tune in for other sports the way I do CFB.

I like the FCS in the spring and wish we'd play our spring game against one of them. They could get paid and we could see what we look like verses another team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I like the FCS in the spring and wish we'd play our spring game against one of them. They could get paid and we could see what we look like verses another team.

Nice idea if that was allowed by rules.  Not sure of timing of Spring game compared to the FCS season. 

Although after thinking about it, we would only have 15 practices compared to a team in full game conditioning.  FCS is not that far off and still would be a disadvantage, possibly dangerous for our guys. 

Edited by AUBwins

On 5/25/2021 at 5:03 PM, AUBwins said:

Nice idea if that was allowed by rules.  Not sure of timing of Spring game compared to the FCS season. 

Although after thinking about it, we would only have 15 practices compared to a team in full game conditioning.  FCS is not that far off and still would be a disadvantage, possibly dangerous for our guys. 

All I can say to that is we might need to change how we do Spring football so we can be prepared and keep it close to the end of the previous season.

With the transfer rule that you can transfer up or down a classification and not sit out, plus the portal essentially being free agency, a Spring FCS schedule might cause an issue of them being a minor league.

Add that on top of losing the pay day against a FBS team, I just don't see the benefit. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

With the transfer rule that you can transfer up or down a classification and not sit out, plus the portal essentially being free agency, a Spring FCS schedule might cause an issue of them being a minor league.

Add that on top of losing the pay day against a FBS team, I just don't see the benefit. 

I imagine that if the change were going to become permanent, they'd probably negotiate TV rights that would offset the loss of the pay day games. I would be curious how much/if they got paid for this year and what the ratings looked like.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Auctoritas said:

I imagine that if the change were going to become permanent, they'd probably negotiate TV rights that would offset the loss of the pay day games. I would be curious how much/if they got paid for this year and what the ratings looked like.

That's a good point. It would need to be a great TV deal across the board, but I wouldn't think that it would be impossible to make that work. 

• Like 1