Transfer Safety Donovan Kaufman COMMITS TO AUBURN!

Zeek

Would be my best guess of who we land next. Both Kaufman and Fair should count against the 2021 class.

Kaufman should have four years to play if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

Hope we get him. Would be nice to have a guy who has been in Masons system. He could help teach his teammates. Also, he’s apparently a great kick returner. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Would be my best guess of who we land next. Both Kaufman and Fair should count against the 2021 class.

Kaufman should have four years to play if I'm not mistaken.

Even if he played he'd still have 4 years b/c of Covid.  I hope he's good enough to be gone early.

Seems like we're in a battle with Texas for him

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Even if he played he'd still have 4 years b/c of Covid.  I hope he's good enough to be gone early.

Seems like we're in a battle with Texas for him

Yup, he says FSU is in his top 3 as well but I don't think they're a threat. 

Kids focused on getting to the league and the interview he did with JBoy made it seem, to me, being in the SEC might win us this battle.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yup, he says FSU is in his top 3 as well but I don't think they're a threat. 

Kids focused on getting to the league and the interview he did with JBoy made it seem, to me, being in the SEC might win us this battle.

I'd hope Mason can pull his own player

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Says he'll announce Wednesday. It's down to us and Texas. Auburn feels confident. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Says he'll announce Wednesday. It's down to us and Texas. Auburn feels confident. 

If we up against Texas then I feel confident. He’s not picking a big 12 team over us as a defensive player

4 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

If we up against Texas then I feel confident. He’s not picking a big 12 team over us as a defensive player

Some of the staff he's worked with before are at Vandy. That's the draw.

He has a great interview with JBoy y'all should watch:

On 5/12/2021 at 4:16 PM, W.E.D said:

I'd hope Mason can pull his own player

Sometimes that isn't always an advantage. I believe in this case it to be one though. 

Gus is a master of convincing kids he didn't develop the first time they committed to him to give him a second chance. Blows my mind.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Sometimes that isn't always an advantage. I believe in this case it to be one though. 

Gus is a master of convincing kids he didn't develop the first time they committed to him to give him a second chance. Blows my mind.

Seems like he's got his HC here and some of his position coaches in Texas. Hope we're correct in being confident. 

This kid is good and multi year player 

• Like 2

Seems all the mods thinking we get him tomorrow. Good get for Mason

Announcing at 3:00 PM

• Like 1

• Zeek changed the title to Transfer Safety Donovan Kaufman Decision at 3:00 PM CST

Didn't realize he is also a return man.  Could be nice to take some pressure of Tank/Shivers

• Zeek changed the title to Transfer Safety Donovan Kaufman COMMITS TO AUBURN!

RedcupAuburn on Insta is reporting a Boom to Auburn.  Didn’t know we were still Booming

• Like 1

Pow!!!

Nice get for AU beating out Sark and Texas

• Like 2
  • Love 5

Never really thought this was in doubt based on Mason’s relationship with the family.  If Auburn wanted him, we were getting him.

• Like 1

Boom boom out go the lights!

7D009619-3C22-4030-8DD2-9B9727BB9A31.png

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

Tigers land Vandy transfer Donovan Kaufman

12 minutes ago

Auburn has scored a big recruiting win over Texas.

Safety Donovan Kaufman, a transfer from Vanderbilt who entered the portal April 21, has committed to the Tigers over the Longhorns. Kaufman, who arguably would have been the best player at Vandy, will have four years of eligibility remaining and very likely will provide help at strong safety this fall.

The NCAA recently ruled one-time transfers will have immediate eligibility at their next program. While that’s the first hurdle to clear for Kaufman to play for Auburn in 2021, the SEC still must allow intra-conference transfers to have immediate eligibility, something the SEC will decide on in the coming weeks.

Given Kaufman's relationship with Tigers defensive coordinator and safeties coach Derek Mason, his former head coach with the Commodores, his decision to be a Tiger should come as no surprise. 

“He’s a great dude,” Kaufman said. “Not just for me — ask anybody around. They’ll say they love him as a person and that he keeps it real. He’s more than just a coach. He’s a very Hands-on coach. Very detailed. With me and him, it’s deeper than football. He wants the best for me.”

Kaufman played safety and nickel in 2020, recording 15 tackles and a kickoff return for a touchdown against LSU. He played in only two games, then missed the rest of the season with what Mason described as a medical issue.

"He continues to be impressive," Mason said of Kaufman after the LSU game. "Defensively, he’s still gotta learn some things, but in special teams I think you guys saw — he’s got an ability to get vertical. He’s fast, he’s quick and he can do some things.“I’ve talked to them almost every day,” Kaufman said of Auburn. “(Mason) told me I’d play opposite of Smoke Monday. He told me they’re pretty solid. But I’ve played in his defense and know what to expect, I know what I’d be getting into.”

The Tigers recently hosted Kaufman on a virtual visit.

"It went really well," Kaufman said. "Everything was great. It's a neat college town. I like the stadium, the facilities, the people."

According to Kaufman, he is back in his hometown of New Orleans. His plan is to arrive at his future college the first week of June.

*** Get 30% off an annual subscription and receive the latest Auburn recruiting and team scoops ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

One of the highest-rated recruits in Vanderbilt's 2020 class, Kaufman committed to the program in 2019 but did not sign that December. In the end, Vanderbilt had to hold off Ole Miss and Florida State. Per Sam Marsdale of 247Sports, "the Commodores ultimately held onto Kaufman after Mason visited Kaufman's father at an Alabama prison and made a strong impression."

At Archbishop Rummel, Kaufman was the nation's No. 415 prospect, No. 37 safety and No. 18 player in Louisiana for the industry generated 247Sports Composite.

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Never really thought this was in doubt based on Mason’s relationship with the family.  If Auburn wanted him, we were getting him.

A lot of his position coaches and other former Vandy staff guys are at Texas

• Like 2