LSU Transfer QB TJ Finley COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!!!!

Zeek

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It almost has to be better. Or at least at times when it's not, we'll more often be able to identify sensible play calls that weren't properly executed. And I think we'll see a staff willing to trust playmakers other than RB1 to make plays. 

This is where a lot of my hope for Bo comes in.  3rd and 8 we don't run 5 verticals with no one pass blocking to pick up a blitzer and no one to dump it off to. 

It was too easy for teams to ignore the middle half of the field and just cover the sidelines.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I might hate Gus so much it blinds me to Bo being really bad.  Could be the case, but he made every QB worse from the time they got her to the time they left.  Bo definitely has his faults, but I think Gus didn't do anything to help him.  HS level route concepts, all vertical passing, awful blocking assignments, inability to check into other plays (Harsin did mention after A-Day Bo made checks and got us into better plays based on the defense.  So refreshing to hear).

It's a different regime now.  If he doesn't fit into it he'll transfer.  I think I saw improvements this spring, but spring games can be hit or miss.  I remember tons of people wanting Trotter to start over Cam.

If Bo is still passing for 200 yds and struggling to get above 60% comp% he'll be replaces.  I think with better passing concepts alone he'll have better stats.  We've got two games for him to get comfortable before it all starts.

Zero disagreement here.

Just want to see improvement. I think our schedule sets up nicely with some get right games early. 

• Like 1

I guess I don't even see how there can be an argument. Nobody can say with a straight face that Bo has given a performance that can make anybody come to the conclusion there's no way anybody can play better than this.....dann right there's a chance if a talented guy was given an equal opportunity to win the job that he may very well be able to achieve that. Why wouldn't they?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I guess I don't even see how there can be an argument. Nobody can say with a straight face that Bo has given a performance that can make anybody come to the conclusion there's no way anybody can play better than this.....dann right there's a chance if a talented guy was given an equal opportunity to win the job that he may very well be able to achieve that. Why wouldn't they?

Cole, I am very interested in the timeline where Finley comes in and starts game one just because I'd love to see the board on fire and your part in all that lol.

• Haha 2

It sounds like (Maybe wishful thinking on my part) this SEC thing is the biggest hang up for us...Hopefully we don't screwed in this hahaha

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

It sounds like (Maybe wishful thinking on my part) this SEC thing is the biggest hang up for us...Hopefully we don't screwed in this hahaha

Nah, we good. He just said he's announcing at the end of the month.

I think we land every single transfer we're currently publicly talking about.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Zero disagreement here.

Just want to see improvement. I think our schedule sets up nicely with some get right games early. 

Yeah, if we started off with Penn State it would have been a much tougher road.  Having two cupcakes sets up nicely

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Nah, we good. He just said he's announcing at the end of the month.

I think we land every single transfer we're currently publicly talking about.

My gosh if TJ gets here the thread content is going to be amazing. Team TJ vs Team Bo vs Team fair shot. JG vs BO 2.0?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

My gosh if TJ gets here the thread content is going to be amazing. Team TJ vs Team Bo vs Team fair shot. JG vs BO 2.0?

I'm team Dematrius. If the board can't play nice I vote Sawyer Pate starts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't think I'm saying no one can beat him out, just the potential of a raw QB with little experience, where he hasn't played particularly well, coming on scholarship ~August 1st & winning the job/learning the playbook in 15 or 20 practices doesn't seem very practical. 

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Finally - look at WHO is "pushing hard" for Finley. Harsin/Bobo at Auburn. Steve Sarkisian at Texas. Franklin/Yurcich at Penn State. ALL FORMER QUARTERBACKS.

Just b/c teams pushed hard for him doesn't mean every team wants him to come in and start immediately.  Many of these coaches are going to go after countless HS kids.  Doesn't mean they are expected to immediately start.

I want Finely.  I think he has a chance to be very good.  I just don't think he's ready to start

Just now, Zeek said:

Cole, I am very interested in the timeline where Finley comes in and starts game one just because I'd love to see the board on fire and your part in all that lol.

Well let's be real I'm the guy you'd hate to love and I think everybody knows I'm the guy who saw the problems pretty early but not too many would feel comfortable in saying that.

Two things I really really feel are true that comes into play currently though is

I have always been saying the best player playing is essential in the morale of the team. I felt like that may have not been the case when you actually listened to the players about Bo's QB competition when he first came in.

2. This convo is very very tricky and that's why many want to avoid this convo all together. I think it's been touched on, there shouldn't be a difference if a guy came and beat out a nickel corner if he was better. But when it comes to the QB especially here, it's not the same for whatever reason. People get heated about the QB and if you step out and say something against the grain you will be attacked. Doesn't matter if you are right or not.

Then on top of that to prove your points and to show you aren't trolling and you may actually be right you have to point out negatives on the guy. You will then be viewed as hating the kid. I think I read someone says everybody hates Bo, and we've all seen as soon as his name was said mods lock threads and all of that. 

I think all of that can be avoided if you actually watch the guy play! Forget all the other nonsense and watch the guy play the game of football.

I haven't seen film lately on Bo so I don't know but the last film we did see Bo literally couldn't throw the ball downfield and we literally had the fastest guy in college and on the other side a guy who lived for high pointing the ball and coming down with it. So take everything else out at the position at QB is it feasible to think that another QB could come in and win the job if everything stays the same? You dann right it's possible. And that's notbeing mean. It's just what we are able to see.

Maybe it happens and maybe it doesn't but trust me other QB's aren't looking here and thinking there's no way I can compete with this when they look at film. 

That's just my opinion of course. I don't know too much until somebody else says it then bird says it and it gets 100 likes 😱

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I don't think I'm saying no one can beat him out, just the potential of a raw QB with little experience, where he hasn't played particularly well, coming on scholarship ~August 1st & winning the job/learning the playbook in 15 or 20 practices doesn't seem very practical. 

Between now and August, our team will be immersed in film study and countless hours of “voluntary” workouts and skeleton drills. On their own, of course. 😏

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well let's be real I'm the guy you'd hate to love and I think everybody knows I'm the guy who saw the problems pretty early but not too many would feel comfortable in saying that.

Two things I really really feel are true that comes into play currently though is

I have always been saying the best player playing is essential in the morale of the team. I felt like that may have not been the case when you actually listened to the players about Bo's QB competition when he first came in.

2. This convo is very very tricky and that's why many want to avoid this convo all together. I think it's been touched on, there shouldn't be a difference if a guy came and beat out a nickel corner if he was better. But when it comes to the QB especially here, it's not the same for whatever reason. People get heated about the QB and if you step out and say something against the grain you will be attacked. Doesn't matter if you are right or not.

Then on top of that to prove your points and to show you aren't trolling and you may actually be right you have to point out negatives on the guy. You will then be viewed as hating the kid. I think I read someone says everybody hates Bo, and we've all seen as soon as his name was said mods lock threads and all of that. 

I think all of that can be avoided if you actually watch the guy play! Forget all the other nonsense and watch the guy play the game of football.

I haven't seen film lately on Bo so I don't know but the last film we did see Bo literally couldn't throw the ball downfield and we literally had the fastest guy in college and on the other side a guy who lived for high pointing the ball and coming down with it. So take everything else out at the position at QB is it feasible to think that another QB could come in and win the job if everything stays the same? You dann right it's possible. And that's notbeing mean. It's just what we are able to see.

Maybe it happens and maybe it doesn't but trust me other QB's aren't looking here and thinking there's no way I can compete with this when they look at film. 

That's just my opinion of course. I don't know too much until somebody else says it then bird says it and it gets 100 likes 😱

I remember asking why Gus wouldn't let his backup QBs throw in garbage time and getting blasted for it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You also have to look at the other side of it. The other QB best downfield pass was on a busted play where the wr was wide open. And I'm not trying to be funny just showing where we were at as a fan base, but people were so happy that this essay throw was made that there were posts saying yes that's proof that Bo is a great thrower of the football....the ceiling isn't high at all. All a QB has to do is not turn the ball over and be able to throw down field a bit.

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I remember asking why Gus wouldn't let his backup QBs throw in garbage time and getting blasted for it. 

I remember it too. I was called an idiot for saying it doesn't make sense to come to a conclusion that Willis isn't a QB and needs to play at hb. We literally haven't seen him throw!

Talking about the QB is that real. I've had people I was cool with stop talking to me and people that didn't like me come to my defense because they felt like some stuff was too much coming at me. 

And people say I think I know everything and that's whatever but one thing nobody can't say is I just make up stuff. I at least show my logic in why I'm saying what I say whether someone agrees or not but with the QB they don't want a name mentioned if it's not in a very positive light. 

So I feel there are probably more people but they aren't going to say stuff publicly. I had a bunch of PM's where I was told they agreed with me and a few where people said hey man you were right. But it's just very delicate to speak about. So in those convos I never hotlink some guys I know who would usually have my back. I really wouldn't want to put them through that. There are usually more people that agree with you even if it's not popular though

Edited by cole256
  • Like 2

I'm just trying to say this isn't a PG coming in trying to replace Magic Johnson this is a guy coming in to replace Vinny del negro. It's achievable.

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

38 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Between now and August, our team will be immersed in film study and countless hours of “voluntary” workouts and skeleton drills. On their own, of course. 😏

Yeah sure, but he's not going to be on scholly so will have to pay his own way.  Not sure if that'll matter.

37 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Not sure why anyone be upset about that especially with Gus's track record being horrible with QBs.

I'll praise Harsin for at least 5 years if he allows the 2nd string offense to run the full play book for 2-4 drives in the 4th quarter of our first two games

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You also have to look at the other side of it. The other QB best downfield pass was on a busted play where the wr was wide open. And I'm not trying to be funny just showing where we were at as a fan base, but people were so happy that this essay throw was made that there were posts saying yes that's proof that Bo is a great thrower of the football....the ceiling isn't high at all. All a QB has to do is not turn the ball over and be able to throw down field a bit.

Downfield passing is one of Bo's biggest weakness, I've said that a few times.  I agree

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's good he has this attitude. But reality is he's extremely unlikely to beat out Bo.  Sure he can come in and compete, but he's going to be depth.  Hopefully he doesn't transfer again after losing out on the starting job

Bo was vote team captain by his peers, IIRC.  I'm not sure openly talking s*** about a current player on our roster is the best approach.

I don't think Finley said anything that would be deemed "Talking S*** about a current player". HE simply said "if I feel like I can beat Bo Nix out, then I’ll go there and do what I have to do", That's just a confident QB knowing what he has to do and say to be offered a spot on Auburn's team. He's promoting, and trying to show the coaches his confidence.

He didn't say one derogatory thing about Bo.

I do agree, if he comes to AU, he will be the backup, but where I differ, is if Bo struggles during SEC play, and can't move the offense consistently enough, then I feel Harsin, if Finley has learned the playbook well enough, then Harsin might just give him a chance to move the offense since he will have been the most experienced AU QB other than Bo.

I know you say he will not know the offense well enough, but remember this, Finley enrolled early at LSU and got in a few practices before shutting down for Covid. He also had time to study a college playbook, watch film, etc. So even though he played in 5-6 games only, he still was out of HS for the whole year working w LSU coaches etc..

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I do agree, if he comes to AU, he will be the backup, but where I differ, is if Bo struggles during SEC play, and can't move the offense consistently enough, then I feel Harsin, if Finley has learned the playbook well enough, then Harsin might just give him a chance to move the offense since he will have been the most experienced AU QB other than Bo.

We don't differ, I said that in the past few posts.

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If TJ comes in and beats Bo, then we're better off at QB. If TJ comes in, pushes Bo, and Bo wins out, then we're better off at QB.  There is zero down side. None.  

Maybe a little QB controvery but sometimes that's a good thing................. except on this board:poke:

• Like 1