LSU Transfer QB TJ Finley COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!!!!

Zeek

Just now, DAG said:

What that said to me is T.J. could distinguish when a coach is BSing him or not. I honestly don’t think the interpretation is as hard as it seems. But people like to see what they want 

Oh, that's definitely what HE was saying. The being able to detect BS was that final option I gave, the ideal, that they were being 100% up front with him and that's what got him on board. Just because a kid thinks they can smell BS doesn't mean they can. And I'm not saying he definitely can't, either, I was just listing the possibilities.

• Like 4

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Beat out Saban.

Saban might well be the biggest one he's talking about seeing through the BS they were selling him, because Bama is pretty stacked at every position already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rednilla said:

Oh, that's definitely what HE was saying. The being able to detect BS was that final option I gave, the ideal, that they were being 100% up front with him and that's what got him on board. Just because a kid thinks they can smell BS doesn't mean they can. And I'm not saying he definitely can't, either, I was just listing the possibilities.

Now it’s up to him. This coaching staff won’t have favoritism IMO. It’s going to go to the best guy, which is super exciting. Let’s get it!

• Like 3

On 5/18/2021 at 11:40 AM, Tigerpro2a said:

We have a new coach and a new system. We have 2 guys  (potentially) who are going to be learning the offense. One guys, has a lot of bad habits built into his play. He has zero pocket awareness. His timer is broken. His mechanics have been flawed. The other guy doesn't seem to have those issues. 

So Bo will have to unlearn all of these bad habits on top of learning a new system. Finley just needs to learn a new system. 

Yes Bo has more time with HArsin and got Spring practice, but much of it was spent strictly on fixing these problems so is he really going to be that much far ahead? 

Bo would be that far ahead without the extra time.  I hope the kid comes in a sets the world on fire, but he isn't a Cam Newton type transfer or a Jarrett Stidham type transfer.  He brings physical ability to make throws and is a big guy.  Other than that, we haven't seen him actually have a great deal of on the field success.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

What that said to me is T.J. could distinguish when a coach is BSing him or not. I honestly don’t think the interpretation is as hard as it seems. But people like to see what they want 

It was a joke.

He's going to come in and compete.  We'll see where the chips fall.  Finley makes Auburn better.  Either from depth, better QB for the future, or possibly now if he does beat out Bo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Beat out Saban.

This may be more significant that some realize it to be. Saban is very predictable when a new coach shows up in the SEC. He likes to flex big and flip a commit, or get a high profile Bama lean to commit right away for the media buzz. It’s his way of marking territory. He likely had medium or low interest in Finley, but would’ve loved to have poked holes in Harsin’s plan. It’s significant that we didn’t let that happen. WDE and welcome to TJ!

• Like 8
  • Love 1

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

This may be more significant that some realize it to be. Saban is very predictable when a new coach shows up in the SEC. He likes to flex big and flip a commit, or get a high profile Bama lean to commit right away for the media buzz. It’s his way of marking territory. He likely had medium or low interest in Finley, but would’ve loved to have poked holes in Harsin’s plan. It’s significant that we didn’t let that happen. WDE and welcome to TJ!

It was a good victory for sure 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Your analogy is pretty good, but I see one thing different in 2021.

Even if he improves to 20/7, it will depend on how he performs in games against Penn St, and GA that will determine if he continues to start and finish any games after that. If he struggles against good defenses like those, I can see Finley coming in, and seeing if he can spark the team and provide more consistency in the passing game, and executing Harsin's offense...

Harsin doesn't owe Bo anything, as the new HC, who never recruited him to Auburn. I hope and expect that he will do what he wants to do at QB, to win games...AND develop for the future too, including 2022.

Have you seen Finley play against good defenses?  There is a lot of growing up to be done all the way around.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

It was a joke.

He's going to come in and compete.  We'll see where the chips fall.  Finley makes Auburn better.  Either from depth, better QB for the future, or possibly now if he does beat out Bo.

Well, it's definitely the first two, and I'm more open to the possibility of the third than I was when we first heard about this, but I still strongly doubt he's going to end up beating out Bo. The biggest reason I think he was brought in was to have someone who could legitimately push Bo to reach his potential.

• Like 1

Just now, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

I think that Finley will definitely have some really good success if he knows the system well.

His mechanics are great but his issue at LSU was being so new to the system and a predominantly pocket passer. It made his processing a LOT slower as well as having issue when the offensive line couldn't hold because of probably needing to focus on route combinations, finding his hot, etc.

This guy can be a stud because his arm strength, frame, and compatibility with pro-style passing concepts w/ the opportunity to have multiple reads is there. Also if you haven't heard him speak, the kid is incredibly intelligent and poised for essentially a Freshman.

(70) #LSU quarterback TJ Finley talks spring competition and more - YouTube (Volume is fine, just cant hear the first question)

(70) Inside the Huddle with TJ FInley - YouTube

Hopefully TJ will have enough time to win the job. I will rage if I watch Bo do his signature 15 yard spin move behind the LOS this year.  

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Have you seen Finley play against good defenses?  There is a lot of growing up to be done all the way around.

Yes, I've seen his film playing against good defenses like Auburn, as a True freshman, in his FIRST road game...

He played 5 games, so I don't know what he will do over the long haul. 

All i am saying, is if he learns the playbook, shows his ability to the coaches that he can execute their offense, then it's a matter of how Bo does, whether Finley HAS to come in and see what he can do.

What we know we have is a big strong armed QB, who showed a lot of his ability in those 5 games, and now has the chance to learn even more under Harson/Bobo, whether it ends up happening this year...or next year.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Well, it's definitely the first two, and I'm more open to the possibility of the third than I was when we first heard about this, but I still strongly doubt he's going to end up beating out Bo. The biggest reason I think he was brought in was to have someone who could legitimately push Bo to reach his potential.

I'm not sure I buy he was used as a pawn to push Bo.  We need depth at QB and he's extremely talented, just Raw. He's a guy with starting experience, something we don't have, and a guy that could develop to be very good and possibly a replacement if Bo doesn't workout the first 5 games of the season.

He was a need and I think we got a really good QB.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Yes, I've seen his film playing against good defenses like Auburn, as a True freshman, in his FIRST road game...

All i am saying, is if he learns the playbook, shows his ability to the coaches that he can execute their offense, then it's a matter of how Bo does, whether Finley HAS to come in and see what he can do.

What we know we have is a big strong armed QB, who showed a lot of his ability in those 5 games, and now has the chance to learn even more under Harson/Bobo, whether it ends up happening this year...or next year.

That is fair and I agree.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Something else that I've seen from Finley that's pretty inherent to QBs is the ability to hang in the pocket through contact. Maybe its a side-effect of him not being SUPER Mobile, but he will definitely make a throw through contact.

That's promising because it means longer-developing routes have a chance without your QB rolling to one side and giving away what routes he's looking at since few QBs in the NFL can make crossbody throws and only one can do that downfield.  (Maybe 2 if you add Rodgers in there with Mahomes)

• Like 5
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

I will rage if I watch Bo do his signature 15 yard spin move behind the LOS this year.  

He does this b/c we have an awful OL (also terrible play calling by Gus).

The issue, if the line doesn't get fixed, it was won of the biggest issues Finley had at LSU.  If our OL doesn't get better I'm not sure either QB stands much of a chance.

• Like 5

Welcome to AU TJ!! Look forward to seeing you compete! Going to be some fun QB threads this year 🤣

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Can't wait for Bluey!

Boom boom out go the lights!

3AB360EC-5DDB-4B4A-A398-245608663AAC.png

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Something else that I've seen from Finley that's pretty inherent to QBs is the ability to hang in the pocket through contact. Maybe its a side-effect of him not being SUPER Mobile, but he will definitely make a throw through contact.

Thank you for providing analysis based on game film and not stat sheets.

That last sentence alone damned sure puts some points on his side of the scoreboard going into summer. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Now that's a video I can get behind.  Look at those beautiful Crawdads! Pumped about this guy.  Elliot winning the Nascar race yesterday, now this commitment; turning into a nice Birthday! Woohoo!

Edited by AUBwins

Hypothetically....

If Bo is bad vs PSU and Finely takes over & leads Auburn to a victory.  Finely would start vs Ga State, then travel on the road to make his first SEC start with Auburn @ LSU.

Game Day would love that story.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Thank you for providing analysis based on game film and not stat sheets.

That last sentence alone damned sure puts some points on his side of the scoreboard going into summer. 

Yeah, he is the real deal if you watch his South Carolina film (The team that beat our Bo Nix Led offense.)

He had a lot of great timing throws w/ a few slips to some good corner play, and solid traits on display. The dude is a precision passer though. Steps into throws, sometimes that back foot is facing a little off, but for the most part he puts the ball where it needs to be, throws a good fade ball, and can absolutely throw with pressure in his face without falling away.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1