LSU Transfer QB TJ Finley COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!!!!

Zeek

I'm all for getting a QB like this to push Bo, even if I still think Bo would win the job. We need someone who can do that, and as much as I love DD and truly want to see him be the next big thing at Auburn, it doesn't sound like that's in the cards for him with Harsin and company, so it's better to get someone else in here who can legitimately play the position and let Harsin and Bobo start teaching him how to make better decisions, as both of them have a penchant for doing.

Because we really, really need a legitimate backup QB.

• Like 1

I don’t know what the interest is on either side here but the little I saw him last year he looked like he had serious potential, just a true freshman making those kind of mistakes. Looked like he had a rocket when I saw him throw. Would not be sad to see him at AU...

• Like 1

I think it's more of an indictment of Grant Loy than Bo, honestly. I think he will be given a serious shot at starting, but you gotta give that nod to Bo if the competition is even close to start the season. But they know that Loy isn't going to seriously push Bo from a competition standpoint. Hope he picks the good guys

• Love 1

I think he would be a good pickup. Unlike many here I don't think the staff is down on DD. They may not have recruited him but He had best throw of the game in the A-Day game.  He does need time to adjust to college talent and speed but he has the tools.  I think this staff is flexible enough to use a QB with DD's skill set.

One of my biggest problems with Gus was not adjusting his offense to skill set of his players.  Mailik Willis is a great example of lack of analyzing skill set of QB and not making changes to take advantage of the skill set. So instead he sat behind Bo got no reps and when he was in game was never allowed to show his skills. I think this staff will prove different.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, fredst said:

I don’t know what the interest is on either side here but the little I saw him last year he looked like he had serious potential, just a true freshman making those kind of mistakes. Looked like he had a rocket when I saw him throw. Would not be sad to see him at AU...

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/LSU-transfer-QB-TJ-Finley-calls-Auburn-a-factor-NCAA-portal-Bryan-Harsin-165343098/

Transfer quarterback TJ Finley, who started five games for LSU as a true freshman in 2020 before entering the transfer portal last week, said Wednesday night Auburn is among the schools heavily involved in his recruitment. And, he added, the Tigers are "100 percent" a factor.

"Every school that has gotten in contact with me that has shown interest is basically saying I can come in and compete for the job," Finley said. "I'll leave it at that."

According to Finley, he also has communicated with "Alabama, Ohio State, Penn State, Georgia, Mississippi State --and really, the majority of the SEC schools."

Finley, listed at 6-feet-6 and 250 pounds, graduated from Ponchatoula High in Louisiana before signing with the Tigers in the 2020 class. He ranked as the No. 499 overall prospect, No. 19 pro-style quarterback and No. 21 overall prospect in Louisiana, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

Myles Brennan, a junior in 2020, began last season as LSU's starting quarterback, but an injury in Game 3 sent him to the sidelines for the remainder of the year. Finley took over and appeared in six games with the five starts, and was 2-3 in that stretch. He completed 80-of-140 passes for 941 yards, five touchdowns and five interceptions. Max Johnson, also a freshman, then stepped into a starting role and went 2-0 in the final two games of the year, and he wrapped up his freshman season 88-for-150 passing with 1,069 yards, 8 touchdowns and 1 interception.

Finley announced his transfer from the program May 6.

He said Wednesday he has been in contact with Auburn "every day" and has had conversations with head coach Bryan Harsin and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo.

"They don't have a lot of quarterbacks in the room behind Bo (Nix) that can step in and play and I feel like they lack experience behind Bo," Finley said. "And there is an opportunity there. A lot of people in the organization there since the new staff got there believe I can come in and compete for the starting job. It ain't like me going there to be a backup."

COMMENTS
Finley said he plans to begin narrowing down his list of possible schools in about a week. A decision will come "probably in two weeks."

With reserve Chayil Garnett putting his name in the transfer portal recently, Auburn is thin at quarterback with Nix, a third-year player, senior Grant Loy and true freshman Dematrius Davis being the only scholarship players currently on the roster.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

This is the kid we whooped up on last year right? He was starter that game I believed.  Our defense was stout though, rough for a freshman.

He looked good early when they were playing pitch and catch and getting something out of the running game. It was when it went straight up air raid that they were done for 

• Like 1

Red is correct . Bo has not had this kind of pressure put on him . TJ could really put a lot on him . Big QB my goodness 

2 hours ago, fredst said:

It's wild no one makes these excuses for Bo, who was probably better as a TrFr with less talent

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

Red is correct . Bo has not had this kind of pressure put on him . TJ could really put a lot on him . Big QB my goodness 

Honestly, no he couldn't.  He's a Tr Soph that is going to have to learn an entire new system.  He's not going to put pressure on Bo.

As some mentioned above, it is probably b/c we have Bo, Loy who is awful, and DD a TrFr that might not fit Harsin's view of a QB.  We have no QB depth, one of many positions we have no depth, unfortunately 

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Honestly, no he couldn't.  He's a Tr Soph that is going to have to learn an entire new system.  He's not going to put pressure on Bo.

As some mentioned above, it is probably b/c we have Bo, Loy who is awful, and DD a TrFr that might not fit Harsin's view of a QB.  We have no QB depth, one of many positions we have no depth, unfortunately 

Exactly. If we could add depth and potential starter down the road in Finley, then we are much deeper and protected at QB if we can get him. TO have a QB that had SEC experience and years left to play, is a tremendous boost for us.

4 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Exactly. If we could add depth and potential starter down the road in Finley, then we are much deeper and protected at QB if we can get him. TO have a QB that had SEC experience and years left to play, is a tremendous boost for us.

Yeah. I know everyone is really high on DD, but I'm kinda hesitant mainly bc of size. 

It suck we have needs at virtual every possible position 

29 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Probably not right out of fall camp, but let's not forget that LSU's offense is a hell of a lot closer to Harsin's offense than what Bo is coming from. I think someone like Finley becomes more interesting in the sense of what happens if ~4-5 games into the season you find out that Bo hasn't progressed. By then Finley would have been in the system long enough to bring that replacement option that could actually "spark" the team.

Edited by metafour
  • Like 1

I thought TJ had the strongest arm I saw in the SEC last year. If TJ can take the next step and progress with reading defenses better, he has the upside to be a first round NFL draft pick. There is no scenario that has Nix with that type of upside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

It's wild no one makes these excuses for Bo, who was probably better as a TrFr with less talent

I think Bo has shown a lot of ability at times and has made me reminisce about another Bo....

Unfortunately, that Bo would be Bo Wallace of Ole Miss and not Bo Jackson. Nix has shown tons of talent and grit at times but has also shown the ability to make the same knucklehead mistakes repeatedly. I’m hoping that with good coaching and accountability he can reach his considerable potential. Another talented quarterback to push him in that direction wouldn’t be a bad thing IMO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, fredst said:

I think Bo has shown a lot of ability at times and has made me reminisce about another Bo....

Unfortunately, that Bo would be Bo Wallace of Ole Miss and not Bo Jackson. Nix has shown tons of talent and grit at times but has also shown the ability to make the same knucklehead mistakes repeatedly. I’m hoping that with good coaching and accountability he can reach his considerable potential. Another talented quarterback to push him in that direction wouldn’t be a bad thing IMO

He's a Tr Soph that missed his 2nd spring and more importantly had some of the worst coaching. 

I feel like if Bo was ranked 150 vs the last 5 start, hell even 50, he'd have a tone less heat. 

There are very few QBs that should start as a TrFr a d very few that should be good as a Tr Soph. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BigBlueWDE said:

I think it's more of an indictment of Grant Loy than Bo, honestly. I think he will be given a serious shot at starting, but you gotta give that nod to Bo if the competition is even close to start the season. But they know that Loy isn't going to seriously push Bo from a competition standpoint. Hope he picks the good guys

Hhhmmm, not sure I understand that logic..am I reading this correctly?  If he came to Auburn; and "the competition was close"; why would you give it to Bo?  If a new guy; with more long term potential and time left; comes in and makes it close in only a couple of weeks in the fall; why would you go with the guy who hasn't developed after 24 games?  I'd give it to the new guy and play the long game.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's a Tr Soph that missed his 2nd spring and more importantly had some of the worst coaching. 

I feel like if Bo was ranked 150 vs the last 5 start, hell even 50, he'd have a tone less heat. 

There are very few QBs that should start as a TrFr a d very few that should be good as a Tr Soph. 

Can’t argue with this much

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think he would be a good pickup. Unlike many here I don't think the staff is down on DD. They may not have recruited him but He had best throw of the game in the A-Day game.  He does need time to adjust to college talent and speed but he has the tools.  I think this staff is flexible enough to use a QB with DD's skill set.

One of my biggest problems with Gus was not adjusting his offense to skill set of his players.  Mailik Willis is a great example of lack of analyzing skill set of QB and not making changes to take advantage of the skill set. So instead he sat behind Bo got no reps and when he was in game was never allowed to show his skills. I think this staff will prove different.

Malik saying "forget this" and throwing a pass in mop up duty that time makes so much more sense after seeing what he's doing at Liberty. Gus looked furious lol

• Haha 1

Finley has a whole lot of talent. Reminds me of Jamarcus Russell. At the very least, he pushes Bo to improve. Neither has had any decent coaching. Yes, Finley lost his composure against the Tigers last season, but it was the first time he had seen a halfway decent SEC defense. The LSU offense was a mess until the last couple games last season. OL was pretty spotty too. I'm not saying there isn't any risk involved with taking Finley, but are any of us confident with Loy or true freshman DD if Bo gets hurt? Give me Finley all day long. Could be biggest need on the team if Bo goes down early, and, with the tendency he has to scramble on nearly every play, it's a real possibility.

Things are looking good for AU.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

I hope we get Finley. He has huge upside. 

Regarding Bo, he has frustrated many but I think it’s very unfair to give up on the guy. Especially now that he’s being coached by Harsin and Bobo. Burrow and Trask are two recent examples of QBs who didn’t begin to flash their best football until their junior and senior years. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I hope we get Finley. He has huge upside. 

Regarding Bo, he has frustrated many but I think it’s very unfair to give up on the guy. Especially now that he’s being coached by Harsin and Bobo. Burrow and Trask are two recent examples of QBs who didn’t begin to flash their best football until their junior and senior years. 

I don’t think people have given up on him more so they want some competition going into summer camp. This kid got benched last year when he didn’t play up to expectations. We couldn’t do that last year for whatever reason or the year before that. 

Edited by DAG

"There is an opportunity there," Finley said. "A lot of people in the organization there since the new staff got there believe I can come in and compete for the starting job. It ain't like me going there to be a backup."

• Like 2
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, DAG said:

"There is an opportunity there," Finley said. "A lot of people in the organization there since the new staff got there believe I can come in and compete for the starting job. It ain't like me going there to be a backup."

So. Refreshing.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, subterranean_jack said:

Finley has a whole lot of talent. Reminds me of Jamarcus Russell.

I said this very thing to my brothers. Stature and arm strength, hopefully not “purple drank” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2