LSU Transfer QB TJ Finley COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!!!!

Zeek

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What about A&M and Bama? Any thoughts on those two?

We'll you said ALL

He looked bad msot of the time but showed some good throw. Like a Tr Fr that shouldn't be starting. 

Doesn't mean he isn't going to be good. I want him and think he could be if we develop him. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah. I said he played all the good defenses on their schedule 

I don’t understand where’s the disconnect at here 

He didn't play vs Florida 

32 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yes, I understand everyone thinks Bo is awful and will never be good. 

Just bc Bo is 100% going to be bad in everyone's opinion , it doesn't mean Finely is also very raw, young and would benefit from a year being a back up and learning. 

It's not like we are taking an established QB who has actually been good

I am not sure where you are trying to go with this. Finley is leaving a better QB room than we have period. Regardless how he played. Bo has played poorly. That is a fact. Not an opinion. Nobody in this thread is saying he will never be good, but he has yet to be.

It's not like we are bringing a kid to a QB room with an established QB who has actually been good to have to beat out.

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

IMO, TJ has a better arm and a prettier deep ball.  Nix has the upper hand due to spring ball, but it's a new O for him too. I'd let them fight it out and prove themselves to the coaches and their teammates.

That’s what I am hoping too. I think if he gets a full summer camp in him, he could give Bo a run for his money 

• Like 3

Just now, DAG said:

That’s what I am hoping too. I think if he gets a full summer camp in him, he could give Bo a run for his money 

But but but....he wasn't good at LSU. He couldn't even beat out those guys. LMAO

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

You keep saying he is not ready to start...I

This is what people don’t like to hear but is the truth and I have a sneaky feeling CBH feels the same 

Here he is in the spring game.  First series @ 7:50.  Second series @ 25:50.  Spoiler alert... second series looked bad.

57 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What about A&M and Bama? Any thoughts on those two?

Finley vs A&M: 9/25, 118 yds, 0 TD 2 INT

Johnson vs A&M: 14/22 113 yds, 1 TD 0 INT

I, for one, would very much like to see some competition at Auburn, especially at QB. Bo and Finley are different types of QBs, and y'all are trying to compare apples with oranges. The only thing, in the end, which really matters is what type of QB Harsin wants.

Having watched Boise St quite often during Harsin's tenure, I would say Max Johnson is closer to his ideal, not Bo and not Finley. However, Malzahn left few viable options at QB. No one is going to argue with Bo's heart or effort. But, no one can argue either that there is another QB on the planet who doesn't need competition more than Bo.

Finley is the best athlete with the highest ceiling at QB on either the LSU or Auburn roster. I think that factor was partly why he got the nod over Max Johnson when Brennan went down. He did have a meltdown at Auburn, but you have to take a few mitigating factors into consideration (1) very young LSU WRs, younger than what Auburn will field next season (2) OL was far from SEC caliber most of the season (3) serious talent drain overall when something like 14 starters or heavy contributors were drafted or left early for the NFL plus several players who were being counted on to contribute sat out because of COVID (4) the offensive brain trust left too (and please don't argue Ensminger staying made any difference) (5) Finley looked good against Auburn until the players around him made several knucklehead mistakes and THEN it was pretty much on him to win the game and it was too much for a freshman starting his first game in Jordan-Hare to handle. There are damned few freshmen QBs who would have flourished under those conditions. 

True, Max Johnson did flourish in the last few games, but I would argue the team had matured and some key contributors had emerged by then, especially at WR. For all we know, Max Johnson may be Tom Brady 2.0, at least that is how he performed down the stretch.

I think Bo and Finley have several things in common, which makes comparisons almost ridiculous, some of which have already been mentioned-- (1) QB coaching/play-calling at AU and LSU was at best questionable last season (2) OL performance for both was far from dominating (3) not much depth at RB at either to take the pressure off the QB. So, you can't really judge either QB fairly because neither was given the support they needed to thrive. The other side of the coin is none of us know whether either QB is a leader in the locker room. For all we know, they are the problem which plague their offenses last season. I hope not.

I think both players could benefit greatly from a fresh start (Bo from some real QB coaching and Finley from a head coach who can speak English instead of just grunt). If Harsin wants to give Finley a chance, and Finley takes it, then Bo can either sulk or accept the challenge and win the job because he is the best QB. If he is the Heisman candidate and champion some of you think he is, then Bo will be the first one to welcome Finley to Auburn.

Damn the star ratings, damn the legacy drama, damn the previous coaches' preferences and idiosyncrasies, damn NFL projections, and damn the 2020 season. We all need a fresh start. May the best man win job, even if that man turns out to be DD or a grad transfer whose name none of us recognize. Job No. 1 is creating competition and holding every player, coach, and administrator accountable. Credibility will follow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure where you are trying to go with this. Finley is leaving a better QB room than we have period. Regardless how he played. Bo has played poorly. That is a fact. Not an opinion. Nobody in this thread is saying he will never be good, but he has yet to be.

It's not like we are bringing a kid to a QB room with an established QB who has actually been good to have to beat out.

Right, Finely has actually been worse than Bo.

38 minutes ago, mb711 said:

Finley vs A&M: 9/25, 118 yds, 0 TD 2 INT

Johnson vs A&M: 14/22 113 yds, 1 TD 0 INT

Similar stats when they played Auburn. Max was better, Finely threw multiple picks

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Similar stats when they played Auburn. Max was better, Finely threw multiple picks

Finley also had a fumble against us that was completely he own fault. Johnson's #'s were against were against our backups, so don't want to pump his tires too much.

But but but....he wasn't good at LSU. He couldn't even beat out those guys. LMAO

He wasn't and he didn't. That's not really arguable. 

Everyone is so dead set on Bo being a failure. Everyone expected DD to take over, didn't happen and now we're on to a guy who averaged less than 200 yards a start. Got pulled from a lot of games, completed 57% of his passes, and was the 3 or 4th QB at LSU to come in and take over a few games into the season. 

Wild 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

He doesn't even work with coaches during the summer. 

Just now, W.E.D said:

He doesn't even work with coaches during the summer. 

So if he comes to Auburn, he isn’t going to attend camp with them? 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

So if he comes to Auburn, he isn’t going to attend camp with them? 

Summer or the start of fall camp? 

Summer work outs are typically before practice and 2 a days

54 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is what people don’t like to hear but is the truth and I have a sneaky feeling CBH feels the same 

Eh, that's just an assumption to fit your perspective. 

The truth is we have a JT and a Tr Freshman as the only QBs on our roster. We desperately need a 3rd. Two injuries and we could be playing a walk on or Loy who is terrible 

Just now, W.E.D said:

Summer or the start of fall camp? 

Summer work outs are typically before practice and 2 a days

Correct that’s what I am taking about.  He needs as much time with the coaching staff as possible.

Just now, W.E.D said:

Eh, that's just an assumption to fit your perspective. 

The truth is we have a JT and a Tr Freshman as the only QBs on our roster. We desperately need a 3rd. Two injuries and we could be playing a walk on or Loy who is terrible 

Well several of us have that perspective . Sorry I guess once again you are the only one correct 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Correct that’s what I am taking about.  He needs as much time with the coaching staff as possible.

Yeah, so he has what, 15 practices? When he's probably gonna be the 4th string QB to start out. 

We need him for depth and he needs to develop. He didn't look great this spring at LSU.  

I like him as a transfer and a kid that can develop. I just don't see him coming in and being the starter this year. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well several of us have that perspective . Sorry I guess once again you are the only one correct 

You can have that opinion. As I mentioned here, overwhelming amounts of folks here want Bo gone and can't think he can develop. But Finely would literally be in the exact same situation with Bo but an entire Spring behind. 

But somehow it'll only work out for Finley 

Just now, W.E.D said:

like him as a transfer and a kid that can develop. I just don't see him coming in and being the starter this year

And that’s your perspective . Needing him for depth is your assumption.

see how that works?

I know TJ doesn’t feel like he is coming in here for depth purposes, instead to win the starting job.