LSU Transfer QB TJ Finley COMMITS TO AUBURN!!!!!!!

Zeek

1 hour ago, DAG said:

the message from fist-year head coach Bryan Harsin and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo was, according to Finley, “very clear” — they want him to come in and try to compete for the starting job this fall.

And this is a great thing! Don’t know why anyone would be upset by this 

I’m hoping this is the new normal for Auburn. I was tired of recruit’s most favorable impression of us being early playing time because of poor roster management. Iron sharpens iron and I’m ready for us to become a center of daily competition for excellence. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

the message from fist-year head coach Bryan Harsin and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo was, according to Finley, “very clear” — they want him to come in and try to compete for the starting job this fall.

Try being the operative word and you're absolutely correct. The last staff was plagued by seniority for starting positions.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

If you're actually a fan of the university and the program- as opposed to fans of a nice guy coach, or fans of a warm and fuzzy legacy story, or fans of 5*s who they perceive to have done us a kindness by choosing Auburn- then hell yes, this is what you want to hear. 

Literally everyone would be perfectly happy for an OT or a WR to walk in and win a starting job day 1. Not sure why we'd feel any differently about QB. 

Exactly, people wouldn't have cried if Tutt was unseated by a transfer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Exactly, people wouldn't have cried if Tutt was unseated by a transfer.

Not that I disagree, because I don't, but nickel is a little bit different from quarterback, so that's not the most fair comparison to make...

• Like 2

Lol. I'm not sure I've ever seen a recruit say "DAG is exactly right" before.

It's good he has this attitude. But reality is he's extremely unlikely to beat out Bo.  Sure he can come in and compete, but he's going to be depth.  Hopefully he doesn't transfer again after losing out on the starting job

Bo was vote team captain by his peers, IIRC.  I'm not sure openly talking s*** about a current player on our roster is the best approach.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I mean, that is how you recruit players & how it should be.

He's gonna get a chance to win, but will ultimately be the back up

• Like 1

Literally everyone would be perfectly happy for an OT or a WR to walk in and win a starting job day 1. Not sure why we'd feel any differently about QB. 

It's different.

If we took a TrSoph WR or OT that wasn't good, was pulled from multiple games for dropping balls or not blocking well....I don't think anyone would be thinking they'd win the job immediately at OT/WR.

Ever decent opponent TJ played against he got pulled for another Freshman who finised the game with drastically better stats

Edited by W.E.D

Love this dudes mindset. That article seems to confirm what a lot of us are thinking. This will be an open competition and the guy that performs best will be named the starter heading into the season. So refreshing to have a staff that is actually looking to put the best players on the field, whoever they may be! 

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I mean, that is how you recruit players & how it should be.

He's gonna get a chance to win, but will ultimately be the back up

That’s your opinion . I really don’t want to keep arguing with you about this. If he gets a fair shot and loses the QB completion than it’s all good. You already have your mind made up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

That’s your opinion . I really don’t want to keep arguing with you about this. If he gets a fair shot and loses the QB completion than it’s all good. You already have your mind made up. 

Right.  That's my opinion.  He's not going to win, most others seem otherwise & "he has a very good shot to give Bo a run for his money".  That's yours.  I don't think it'll be close

wrt June 3rd.  Bama got an elite LB transfer, I think we all know which way the SEC is going to rule

10 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's good he has this attitude. But reality is he's extremely unlikely to beat out Bo.  Sure he can come in and compete, but he's going to be depth.  Hopefully he doesn't transfer again after losing out on the starting job

Bo was vote team captain by his peers, IIRC.  I'm not sure openly talking s*** about a current player on our roster is the best approach.

Look your obviously a big Nix guy and that's cool. I want the dude to succeed as well. But more importantly, I want Auburn to succeed, and I know you do as well. I'll say this. I love that quote by Finley because it shows his confidence and draws the line in the sand so to speak. The QB room has needed a fire lit under it for a few years now. If that does not light a fire under Bo, something is wrong. If Bo is the captain and leader of this team, he will up his game starting right now and others will gravitate to it. And it will make the team better

25 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Not that I disagree, because I don't, but nickel is a little bit different from quarterback, so that's not the most fair comparison to make...

Why, though?

I mean, obviously the positions carry different weight within the context of the team, but why would anyone be more upset about us upgrading our talent at quarterback than any other position? Honest question. 

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

Look your obviously a big Nix guy and that's cool.

I'm really not tho.  I'm just being logical.

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

The QB room has needed a fire lit under it for a few years now.

Sure it does. I want Finely, but I don't think a RS Freshman (I think he qualifies as playing in 5 games or less) is

4 minutes ago, au302 said:

. If that does not light a fire under Bo, something is wrong.

Our own coach has constantly praised how hard a worker Bo is.  He's praised his work ethic and desire everyday to get better & lead this team.  The idea Bo needs a fire lit under him doesn't really make anysense.

5 minutes ago, au302 said:

f Bo is the captain and leader of this team, he will up his game starting right now and others will gravitate to it. And it will make the team better

lmao how does this make sense?  He was voted as the captain last year.  They'll vote again this fall.  He should give it up if voted to him by his fellow players?  That's kinda ridiculous.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back to point 1, I'd be agreeing with everyone if we took a grad transfer QB that was good at their prior school and had a lot of experience.  Even if it was from a good FBS school...and even more so if that person was here this spring.  I don't think Bo is infallible.  There are a lot of QBs in CFB that would beat him out, I just don't think we have one on our team and it doesn't seem like we're going to add one this season.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Why, though?

I mean, obviously the positions carry different weight within the context of the team, but why would anyone be more upset about us upgrading our talent at quarterback than any other position? Honest question. 

I think it is drastically harder to learn a QB position than it would be to be the nickel DB.  That and I think most can agree Tutt wasn't very good and probably worse than Bo was at their respective positions. 

Edited by W.E.D

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's different.

If we took a TrSoph WR or OT that wasn't good, was pulled from multiple games for dropping balls or not blocking well....I don't think anyone would be thinking they'd win the job immediately at OT/WR.

Ever decent opponent TJ played against he got pulled for another Freshman who finised the game with drastically better stats

You aren't responding to the point I was making.

That said, if Bo had played for the same coaches Finley did, he would've been pulled multiple times, too. He's a mediocre quarterback at best. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

You aren't responding to the point I was making.

That said, if Bo had played for the same coaches Finley did, he would've been pulled multiple times, too. He's a mediocre quarterback at best. 

I was though & related the transfer we took at OT/WR playing as poorly as Finely did I don't think any would be talking about them being a huge factor or seriously competing for the starting job.

If we took a QB that is the same level of the FBS WR from south Alabama, say All Conference, probably could have gone to the NFL...my response to him maybe winning would be different.

I think we have a talented QB that has been in an awful offense.  I don't think we have any talented OTs and while we have talented WRs none of them have a lick of experience.  The situations, IMO are different.

Edit: I take that back. I think our OTs are pretty average.  They aren't talentless.  

Edited by W.E.D

Just now, W.E.D said:

I think it is drastically harder to learn a QB position than it would be to be the nickel DB.  That and I think most can agree Tutt wasn't very good and probably worse than Bo was at their respective positions. 

I don't agree with that at all. 

And when it comes to learning how to play quarterback for Bryan Harsin and Mike Bobo, Finley and Nix aren't on the extremely unequal footing that you suggest. 

Regardless, you're still missing my point. I didn't say anything about likelihood. Neither did Finley. He said that if he thinks he can beat Bo, then he'll come here. The subsequent conversation is exactly my point. As in, there wouldn't even be one if it were another position.

I see that, as a fan base, we still haven't really evolved from when we were freaking out about looking for juco QBs because we were worried that guys like Tyrik Rollison or Tyler Queen might take their ball and go home.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

And when it comes to learning how to play quarterback for Bryan Harsin and Mike Bobo, Finley and Nix aren't on the extremely unequal footing that you suggest. 

He'll have a 7 month advantage and 15 practices.  That's huge over anyone that doesn't have much experience playing QB at the SEC level.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Regardless, you're still missing my point. I didn't say anything about likelihood. Neither did Finley. He said that if he thinks he can beat Bo, then he'll come here. The subsequent conversation is exactly my point. As in, there wouldn't even be one if it were another position.

I see that, as a fan base, we still haven't really evolved from when we were freaking out about looking for juco QBs because we were worried that guys like Tyrik Rollison or Tyler Queen might take their ball and go home.

I think we're saying the same thing but on different ends.  I don't think it is likely, you do.  But both think they'll compete for the job & it'll be more real than it was under Gus.

Yes, we need the best players at the best positions and who cares who gets mad.  I completely agree.  I think Finely will be really good.  Just not now & needs time.

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Our own coach has constantly praised how hard a worker Bo is.  He's praised his work ethic and desire everyday to get better & lead this team.  The idea Bo needs a fire lit under him doesn't really make anysense.

lmao how does this make sense?  He was voted as the captain last year.  They'll vote again this fall.  He should give it up if voted to him by his fellow players?  That's kinda ridiculous.

You're right on that, light a fire under him might be the wrong phrase there. I just think there's a difference between being a hard worker when it's easy and being "threatened" so to speak. Sure, Bo has worked hard, but I would think if he knows his job is actually very well in danger, it will take him to another level. In terms of Bo being a captain and all that, that's true, but it was also a year ago and under the old regime. A lot has happened and it's a new day for this program, as Finley said in that article. How can we know what the team thinks right now? Maybe they still love the guy. Maybe they don't like him as much after the frustrating last year where we saw a lot of fighting between Bo and staff/players on the sideline. I certainly hope they still view him as a leader, but who knows. It's a new era 

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I take that back. I think our OTs are pretty average.  They aren't talentless.  

I agree with this. I only stick up for them and the rest of the OLs when all our problems get blamed on them. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I don't think it is likely, you do.

Nope, nor did I suggest that in any way. 

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yes, we need the best players at the best positions and who cares who gets mad. 

This is pretty much the only point I was making. And even though it's a rhetorical question, there is a very real answer and it's, "Many Bo stans in the Auburn fan base." That's not a shot at you. I think you overestimate his performance but I don't think you have a personal attachment to him like so many do.

It was the same way with Jeremy Johnson. You should have been here when some of us- like, maybe, three of us at the most- suggested that Sean White might give him a real push. Now, that was an opinion I offered based on probability. The general response was one of derisive laughter. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I agree with this. I only stick up for them and the rest of the OLs when all our problems get blamed on them. 

I think there will be a little bit of a rising tide lifts all boats wrt to the offense (outside maybe Tank).

I don't think Gus every did much to help offensive players hide their weaknesses, or even better help them play to their strengths.  Just came down to "not executing", ignoring maybe the best game plan wasn't to relentlessly attack the best DB in college football in the USC game.

I wish we had some experienced WRs to stick around and help, but I think our entire offense will look better than it has in a few years solely b/c we have a competent HC/OC running it.

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

I think there will be a little bit of a rising tide lifts all boats wrt to the offense (outside maybe Tank).

I don't think Gus every did much to help offensive players hide their weaknesses, or even better help them play to their strengths.  Just came down to "not executing", ignoring maybe the best game plan wasn't to relentlessly attack the best DB in college football in the USC game.

I wish we had some experienced WRs to stick around and help, but I think our entire offense will look better than it has in a few years solely b/c we have a competent HC/OC running it.

It almost has to be better. Or at least at times when it's not, we'll more often be able to identify sensible play calls that weren't properly executed. And I think we'll see a staff willing to trust playmakers other than RB1 to make plays. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Nope, nor did I suggest that in any way. 

This is pretty much the only point I was making. And even though it's a rhetorical question, there is a very real answer and it's, "Many Bo stans in the Auburn fan base." That's not a shot at you. I think you overestimate his performance but I don't think you have a personal attachment to him like so many do.

It was the same way with Jeremy Johnson. You should have been here when some of us- like, maybe, three of us at the most- suggested that Sean White might give him a real push. Now, that was an opinion I offered based on probability. The general response was one of derisive laughter. 

I might hate Gus so much it blinds me to Bo being really bad.  Could be the case, but he made every QB worse from the time they got her to the time they left.  Bo definitely has his faults, but I think Gus didn't do anything to help him.  HS level route concepts, all vertical passing, awful blocking assignments, inability to check into other plays (Harsin did mention after A-Day Bo made checks and got us into better plays based on the defense.  So refreshing to hear).

It's a different regime now.  If he doesn't fit into it he'll transfer.  I think I saw improvements this spring, but spring games can be hit or miss.  I remember tons of people wanting Trotter to start over Cam.

If Bo is still passing for 200 yds and struggling to get above 60% comp% he'll be replaces.  I think with better passing concepts alone he'll have better stats.  We've got two games for him to get comfortable before it all starts.

• Like 1