Where Transfer Commits & Targets Would Fit

Zeek

Just thinking about the impact of various transfers we're targeting or already have committed to us.

Quarterback

Bo Nix | TJ Finley | Dematrius Davis | Grant Loy

I think TJ would be QB2 with enough ability to "push" Bo like so many have hoped for from a transfer. He has 4 years of eligibility left too which makes him an incredibly attractive transfer prospect; not to mention his 6'6" frame and prior SEC experience.

Running Back

Tank Bigsby | Shaun Shivers | Devan Barrett | Jarquez Hunter | Jordon Ingram

I think that Ingram would battle Hunter for the fourth spot in the rotation but he's really just a depth target with Shivers and Barrett set to leave after this season and with Tank likely only staying one more year.

Defensive Line

Eku Leota -> I'm not sure if he's an instant starter or not but he definitely should get heavy playing time at our Edge spot.

Tony Fair -> Should be the starting NT in our 3-4 formations and should be the key player on run downs.

Marcus Harris -> Similar to Leota he has a lot of eligibility left and would be a key rotational player with starting potential.

Defensive Backs

Dreshun Miller -> Should be the starting corner opposite of McCreary in my opinion.

Bydarrius Knighten -> Rotational player at safety and Nickel. Can do a little bit of everything.

Donovan Kaufman -> Likely starts opposite of Smoke, allowing Tennison to slide back to nickel, allowing Simpson to slide back to outside corner. 

We're going to have a lot of "multiple" type guys in the secondary

Linebacker

Ke'Shun Brown -> Rotational linebacker with 4 years still to play. Important for filling the void that will be left once McClain & Wooten leave (I also believe Pappoe declares this year).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

If Finley goes elsewhere, does AU pursue another QB or stick with current ones??

There's one from Arizona we're also in discussions with. Seems like we're dead set on getting someone to add depth and challenge Bo.

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

There's one from Arizona we're also in discussions with. Seems like we're dead set on getting someone to add depth and challenge Bo.

Sounds like it, but they better be upper level possibilities, if they want them to actually push Bo. Just getting another QB in with too many weaknesses is not any better than just getting DD ready sooner, if needed.

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Sounds like it, but they better be upper level possibilities, if they want them to actually push Bo. Just getting another QB in with too many weaknesses is not any better than just getting DD ready sooner, if needed.

Agreed.  A QB from Arizona that hasn’t ever taken a college snap doesn’t fit as someone pushing Nix to me.  

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I agree that would be best, but for the most part if transfers were that "upper level", they'd already have a lock on a starting job and not transferring.

Not always the case, certainly other reasons to transfer, but more often than not transfers are looking for more playing time.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I would still very much like DD to get all the backup reps in games like Akron. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tiger1992 said:

I agree that would be best, but for the most part if transfers were that "upper level", they'd already have a lock on a starting job and not transferring.

Not always the case, certainly other reasons to transfer, but more often than not transfers are looking for more playing time.

Agree with this generally but you never know. Joe Burrow and Justin Fields both were transfers

15 hours ago, fredst said:

Agree with this generally but you never know. Joe Burrow and Justin Fields both were transfers

Nick Marshall, Cam Newton, Blake Countess, Jarrett Stidham, etc. were all transfers 

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Nick Marshall, Cam Newton, Blake Countess, Jarrett Stidham, etc. were all transfers 

Agree, to some extent. Was mainly referring to recent QBs (specifically thinking of FInley) who “couldn’t start” at their first schools but went on to be elite/first round drafts at their transfer schools. Nick and Cam not entirely in that mold as they left the schools where they signed for “issues” and came through JUCO.

Edited by fredst
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, fredst said:

Agree, to some extent. Was mainly referring to recent QBs (specifically thinking of FInley) who “couldn’t start” at their first schools but went on to be elite/first round drafts at their transfer schools. Nick and Cam not entirely in that mold as they left the schools where they signed for “issues” and came through JUCO.

Oh, doesn't Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray fit the mold as well? There's been a number of transfer QBs lighting it up.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/15/2021 at 11:35 AM, Zeek said:

Oh, doesn't Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray fit the mold as well? There's been a number of transfer QBs lighting it up.

Russell Wilson. I remember many here not wanting him either.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Russell Wilson. I remember many here not wanting him either.

Gus wouldn't promise him the starting job, I think that is why he didn't come here...or one of the reasons.  I can't remember who we had at the time but they weren't as good as Wilson.  Solid, Gus

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Gus wouldn't promise him the starting job, I think that is why he didn't come here...or one of the reasons.  I can't remember who we had at the time but they weren't as good as Wilson.  Solid, Gus

Trotter

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Trotter

I was pretty sure it wasn't anyone that was very good but lmao.  Good lord Gus.

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I was pretty sure it wasn't anyone that was very good but lmao.  Good lord Gus.

To be fair, Trotter could've maybe been serviceable or even Brandon Cox-good with decent coaching. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I thought it was because War Blogle leaked his visit to AU lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I thought it was because War Blogle leaked his visit to AU lol

More than happy to blame it on him.  He's horrible 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

More than happy to blame it on him.  He's horrible 

I didn't see why everybody hated him so much until I very politely tried to offer a different viewpoint on one of his posts and he got suuuuuuuper testy about it suuuuuuper fast. I checked back in on him a time or two post-2017 or his tweets would get circulated and, boy, we don't have a single Gus pumper here that can hold a candle to that dork.

Just a really fragile dude it seems like. 

• Like 1