Thompson Twins Offered

Zeek

16 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Is Overtime Elite the league team or the one for high schoolers? Which one did Scoot go to?

Scoot went to Ignite

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

Scoot went to Ignite

Ok thanks

46 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Are you sure about that?? I saw where a couple of twins have agreed to play for that league but when i checked it was not the same guys as in this thread....

Yeah here it is....different set of twins

"Twin towers Matt Bewley and Ryan Bewley, who landed in Orlando in 2020 to play their sophomore seasons of basketball at West Oaks Academy, have signed two-year contracts described as million-dollar deals to join the new Overtime Elite professional league."

Thompson twins are signing too

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Thompson twins are signing too

Well dern....thanks for the info

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gravejd said:

Are you sure about that?? I saw where a couple of twins have agreed to play for that league but when i checked it was not the same guys as in this thread....

Yeah here it is....different set of twins

"Twin towers Matt Bewley and Ryan Bewley, who landed in Orlando in 2020 to play their sophomore seasons of basketball at West Oaks Academy, have signed two-year contracts described as million-dollar deals to join the new Overtime Elite professional league."

I am sure. 

Oh I see Mav beat me to it lol. 

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

So....

How many kids are needed for a league? 

If you have 6 teams and 9 players per, then at least 50-60 kids.   Now, I really question how good those players are from 20-60.  At some point between all these developmental leagues the competition will get watered down and the college route should become more viable.  I guess the developmental leagues are easier because there is no class, finals and can play more games....

Is the coaching really better?

I sure hope this is not sustainable.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

So....

How many kids are needed for a league? 

If you have 6 teams and 9 players per, then at least 50-60 kids.   Now, I really question how good those players are from 20-60.  At some point between all these developmental leagues the competition will get watered down and the college route should become more viable.  I guess the developmental leagues are easier because there is no class, finals and can play more games....

Is the coaching really better?

I sure hope this is not sustainable.  

As I understand it, the 18 year olds are going to just one team, while each other NBA franchise has its own affiliated team to compete. Jared Harper played a fair amount of G-League ball for the Knicks this past season.

• Like 1

The superstar type player whether they go to college, the G-league, over seas pro team or one of these new special type teams will get to the NBA.  I feel sorry for the ones who think they are better then they are and go to one of these special type teams and even a G-league for a year or two and find out they can't make a living playing basketball. The one thing about getting a scholarship to college is if you take advantage of it you get a degree which will give you options if you don't make it on the Pro Circuit.  I like what Bruce does he signs players like Thor, Okoro, Smith, etc. and if he feels they are in a position to get drafted and make money he encourages them to do it. I hope Pearl is doing one other thing giving them advice that when they get an agent and sign 1st contract that it has a clause in it that team will pay for them to go to college if they desire at a later time. 

That degree is a great backup plan when basketball ends whether after a long and lucrative career or when cut short for some reason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

The one thing about getting a scholarship to college is if you take advantage of it you get a degree which will give you options if you don't make it on the Pro Circuit.

The other thing about that, outside of just getting a degree, is the connections you get to be able to go into broadcasting or coaching (whether high school or college) or just a job with a booster who likes to take care of our boys.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 11:03 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

The superstar type player whether they go to college, the G-league, over seas pro team or one of these new special type teams will get to the NBA.  I feel sorry for the ones who think they are better then they are and go to one of these special type teams and even a G-league for a year or two and find out they can't make a living playing basketball. The one thing about getting a scholarship to college is if you take advantage of it you get a degree which will give you options if you don't make it on the Pro Circuit.  I like what Bruce does he signs players like Thor, Okoro, Smith, etc. and if he feels they are in a position to get drafted and make money he encourages them to do it. I hope Pearl is doing one other thing giving them advice that when they get an agent and sign 1st contract that it has a clause in it that team will pay for them to go to college if they desire at a later time. 

That degree is a great backup plan when basketball ends whether after a long and lucrative career or when cut short for some reason.

Speaking specifically to the G-League Ignite team, I believe the salaries there range from $125,000-$500,000 per year. Do one year of that and your college is paid for if things don’t work out. With the G-League at this point only taking a few kids, and kids they deem likely to be drafted, it doesn’t seem like a huge risk for these kids.

1 minute ago, AuburnArch13 said:

Speaking specifically to the G-League Ignite team, I believe the salaries there range from $125,000-$500,000 per year. Do one year of that and your college is paid for if things don’t work out. With the G-League at this point only taking a few kids, and kids they deem likely to be drafted, it doesn’t seem like a huge risk for these kids.

The main risk for these kids is injury. Also, as expensive as college is, they would need to manage their money well to be able to pay for it with that kind of salary. How many of them are going to have it burning a hole in their pockets and decide they want to buy a Porsche...

I'm not saying you're wrong, because you're not, but it's a tenuous situation if they aren't careful. If I were in that situation, I don't know what I would do.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 11:16 AM, AuburnArch13 said:

This is true, but a lot of these kids don't know how to handle money, because no one in their family knows how to handle money to have taught them and they will burn right through it. Look at all the boxers, rappers, NFL/NBA players that have gone broke. One thing a lot of college coaches do is teach or have someone teach their players how to handle money. Pay your bills on time, save, don't run up your credit card bill, expect the worst and have money saved for it; these are things that have to be taught or learned the hard way. 

• Like 1