Softball headed to Tallahassee Regional

Tough regional. UCF beat Florida twice. Kennesaw split with us so we know they are tough. 

AU plays UCF Friday at 1:00CDT on ESPN2.

Edited by all4AU
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This draw is a bit tougher than the Clemson one.  UCF is loaded with contributing super seniors.  I don't know how but we are going to have to find a way to get the bats going to have any sort of chance. 

https://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/article/2021-05-16/2021-womens-college-world-series-softball-bracket-schedule-scores

We are paired up with LSU regional,  which I previously stated ULL Cajuns may knock off LSU. Georgia is the only non national seed hosting the regional. Of course.  

Of course we need to hit but the road to WS has a manageable path of we do find the bats. 

2 hours ago, AUBwins said:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/article/2021-05-16/2021-womens-college-world-series-softball-bracket-schedule-scores

We are paired up with LSU regional,  which I previously stated ULL Cajuns may knock off LSU. Georgia is the only non national seed hosting the regional. Of course.  

Of course we need to hit but the road to WS has a manageable path of we do find the bats. 

After we do "find the bats" let's hope we can use them to make contact with the ball.😄  Hate be be a bit of a pessimist but I don't know what could happen that our line-up suddenly transforms into .300+ hitters but I would be in favor if that did happen.  Not sure what we could do at this point in the season to make improvement.  In many of our losses it would not have taken but a hit or two (timely of course) to change the outcome.  I remain hopeful for the team.  Would like to finish in positive fashion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Cannot believe the state of North Carolina would not let Duke host due to the states Covid/pandemic protocols. Oh well looks like Athens, Georgia will get the tax revenue.... and oh my the bat saga continues....

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

After we do "find the bats" let's hope we can use them to make contact with the ball.😄  Hate be be a bit of a pessimist but I don't know what could happen that our line-up suddenly transforms into .300+ hitters but I would be in favor if that did happen.  Not sure what we could do at this point in the season to make improvement.  In many of our losses it would not have taken but a hit or two (timely of course) to change the outcome.  I remain hopeful for the team.  Would like to finish in positive fashion.

Who knows? We have a few (very few lol) that have gone yard.  Maybe someone like Packer, or Koepke starts to see that grapefruit coming instead of a tennis ball lol and finds a sweet spot.  Rivera has started finding some gaps.  Biggest issue is consecutive hits.  We usually spread out an infield single ever 1 to 2 innings and an extra base hit in an inning by itself.  That just depressed me haha.  Fresh start, new season.  Hope they take advantage.  

• Like 1

I look at the seeding across the board, and there many question marks. The committee did not do itself many favors with the inconsistencies for hosting criteria. 

Our regional is one of the toughest as whole in my opinion. UCF is very dangerous with wins over Florida(x2), Arizona, South Carolina, South Florida, and Kennesaw State(x2). Kennesaw State has played every team in the regional with wins over Auburn and UCF, plus a very close Game 2 against FSU. FSU has good wins over Florida, Arizona(x2), Auburn, VA Tech,  Missouri, Notre Dame(x3), and Duke(x3). 

FSU pitches, hits, and fields well. However, I do not look at FSU and immediately think our season is over like I would with UCLA, Oklahoma, Washington, or Oklahoma State. It would not surprise me to see a few seeded teams not make it out of regionals with their draws. 

We will have to limit mistakes in the field and in the circle to win. I’ll be interested to see how Dean handles the rotation this weekend. I think Lowe is probably the best pitcher in the regional, but Penta and Dismukes will need to contribute. But as always, it will come down to hitting. Sandercock and Arnold for FSU are good, and it looks like UCF has a solid 1-2 punch with White and Gianna. But I do not see an ace who can shut teams down like a Garcia, Fouts, Plain or even Juarez. Hopefully our hitters can make solid contact and help out the pitching.

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jad0003 said:

I look at the seeding across the board, and there many question marks. The committee did not do itself many favors with the inconsistencies for hosting criteria. 

Our regional is one of the toughest as whole in my opinion. UCF is very dangerous with wins over Florida(x2), Arizona, South Carolina, South Florida, and Kennesaw State(x2). Kennesaw State has played every team in the regional with wins over Auburn and UCF, plus a very close Game 2 against FSU. FSU has good wins over Florida, Arizona(x2), Auburn, VA Tech,  Missouri, Notre Dame(x3), and Duke(x3). 

FSU pitched, hits, and fields well. However, I do not look at FSU and immediately think our season is over like I would with UCLA, Oklahoma, Washington, or Oklahoma State. It would not surprise me to see a few seeded teams not make it out of regionals with their draws. 

We will have to limit mistakes in the field and in the circle to win. I’ll be interested to see how Dean handles the rotation this weekend. I think Lowe is probably the best pitcher in the regional, but Penta and Dismukes will need to contribute. But as always, it will come down to hitting. Sandercock and Arnold for FSU are good, and it looks like UCF has a solid 1-2 punch with White and Gianna. But I do not see an ace who can shut teams down like a Garcia, Fouts, Plain or even Juarez. 

I think our pitchers can control FSU's bats.

The key will be can our hitters muster enough hits to get more than 1-2 runs. It's going to take 4-5 IMO to win at least 2 games here. I would like to hope (that's a mighty big IF), that our hitters will be more relaxed just bc we are not seeing SEC games, and mentally they can make solid contact more with our bats..

The problem is that usually if you have a problem in an area, like we had all year in hitting, it is something that was developed in preseason and off season practices. Live games only magnifies it. 

I am glad they still made it, as unlike the baseball team, that could miss the SEC as well as the NCAAs this year. If you make the field like the ladies did, it always makes them feel better and a chance.

30 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think our pitchers can control FSU's bats.

The key will be can our hitters muster enough hits to get more than 1-2 runs. It's going to take 4-5 IMO to win at least 2 games here. I would like to hope (that's a mighty big IF), that our hitters will be more relaxed just bc we are not seeing SEC games, and mentally they can make solid contact more with our bats..

The problem is that usually if you have a problem in an area, like we had all year in hitting, it is something that was developed in preseason and off season practices. Live games only magnifies it. 

I am glad they still made it, as unlike the baseball team, that could miss the SEC as well as the NCAAs this year. If you make the field like the ladies did, it always makes them feel better and a chance.

As always, I think you’re spot on @steeleagle .

I don’t think many teams can hit Lowe when she is on her game. A week and a half of rest should definitely help. Dismukes looked good against SC, and Penta looked good in her last 4-5 games outside SC. 

It’s no secret our hitting isn’t up to par, and other teams will continue to exploit those issues. It gives me hope we hit the ball harder towards the end of the season and no team has a dominant ace. But I agree, 1-2 runs will not cut it in this regional.

The players have to feel confident knowing we beat the top rated team in the bracket, played close games all season, and faced a very tough schedule. We have to minimize errors and walks on defense to give ourselves a chance though.

Edited by Jad0003
  • Like 1

Hope the girls can find some hits and make some noise in this regional.  It does look like a challenging regional.  I'm not overly impressed with FSU's pitching.  Melanie Bennett for KSU shut us out, however.  Their third baseman, Taylor Cates, hit three homers in 2 games against us.  Two were off Lowe in the game we lost. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations to the girls. I hope they do well. But this does not need to hide the fact that changes are needed with Dean. We finished next to last in the conference, lost the play in game to the SEC tournament, and have progressively gotten worse under his leadership. Not meaning to demean the achievement of getting to the playoffs, but it is not a result of what Auburn  did, it is a result of the conference and the standing it holds within the NCAA.

The AD does not need to think this gives Dean another year. He has had plenty of opportunity. The state of AU athletics is not very good right now and it is happening under AG watch. This is an opportunity for him to make a top notch hire because his other marquee hires (women's BB and football) are wait and see.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

I’ll be interested to see how Dean handles the rotation this weekend.

I think it’s time to ride Lowe. I think she should get the start Friday and the next game on Saturday whether it’s in the winner’s or loser’s bracket. 

If we win Friday, it will be good to go all out for the win in the winner’s bracket. But if we lose, this regional is too tough to take the 4 seed for granted. There are no automatic wins in this regional (Kennesaw is an at-large team.... not your roll over 4 seed like an Alabama State).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Congratulations to the girls. I hope they do well. But this does not need to hide the fact that changes are needed with Dean. We finished next to last in the conference, lost the play in game to the SEC tournament, and have progressively gotten worse under his leadership. Not meaning to demean the achievement of getting to the playoffs, but it is not a result of what Auburn  did, it is a result of the conference and the standing it holds within the NCAA.

The AD does not need to think this gives Dean another year. He has had plenty of opportunity. The state of AU athletics is not very good right now and it is happening under AG watch. This is an opportunity for him to make a top notch hire because his other marquee hires (women's BB and football) are wait and see.

Dean's record at Auburn..... here is JMU's record since CMD left.. 141-31 while CMD's record at AU is 109-76..  Currently JMU only has 1 loss with his recruits in what should be the senior class there.... Yes there is a big difference in quality of opponent which is understood... but coaching talent is coaching talent.... just saying someone is coaching up his recruits there at JMU.... his recruits at AU...not so much... 

Edited by AU1947
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, AU1947 said:

Dean's record at Auburn..... here is JMU's record since CMD left.. 141-31 while CMD's record at AU is 109-76..  Currently JMU only has 1 loss with his recruits in what should be the senior class there.... Yes there is a big difference in quality of opponent which is understood... but coaching talent is coaching talent.... just saying someone is coaching up his recruits there at JMU.... his recruits at AU...not so much... 

Well, I think Dean is going to get another year, just bc he has a top 5 recruiting class coming in again for '21. And he has some very highly ranked commits for '22. Now it will be a matter of if they sign.

I find it hard to believe AU got into the NCAA tournament. Did every SEC team get selected? Also, how we got a #2 seed seems crazy to me but I don't follow the intricacies of NCAA softball beyond being an AU fan. I'm afraid we'll "lose two and barbecue" as the saying goes. Winning NCAA games will take some sort of miracle turnaround with our hitting and it's late in the season for a miracle.

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I find it hard to believe AU got into the NCAA tournament. Did every SEC team get selected? Also, how we got a #2 seed seems crazy to me but I don't follow the intricacies of NCAA softball beyond being an AU fan. I'm afraid we'll "lose two and barbecue" as the saying goes. Winning NCAA games will take some sort of miracle turnaround with our hitting and it's late in the season for a miracle.

12 out of the 13 teams made it - South Carolina was the only team left out. The SEC is the strongest conference from top to bottom, and strength of schedule plays a major role in the selection process. We played a top 10 schedule and won games from NCAA teams: Troy(x2), Kennesaw State, FSU, Missouri, Texas A&M(x2), Kentucky(x2), Ole Miss, and LSU.  4 of those are top 16 seeds.

To put into perspective, LSU played the hardest schedule in the country and lost 19 games, but they are the #7 seed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jad0003 said:

12 out of the 13 teams made it - South Carolina was the only team left out. The SEC is the strongest conference from top to bottom, and strength of schedule plays a major role in the selection process. We played a top 10 schedule and won games from NCAA teams: Troy(x2), Kennesaw State, FSU, Missouri, Texas A&M(x2), Kentucky(x2), Ole Miss, and LSU.  4 of those are top 16 seeds.

To put into perspective, LSU played the hardest schedule in the country and lost 19 games, but they are the #7 seed. 

And we were competitive in almost every SEC game, losing by 1 run nine times. 

It is hard to see it, but in softball and to an extent baseball, SOS is a huge factor, and in some cases not so much the conference record, especially from a conference like the SEC.

• Like 2

On 5/16/2021 at 10:46 PM, all4AU said:

Tough regional. UCF beat Florida twice. Kennesaw split with us so we know they are tough. 

AU plays UCF Friday at 1:00CDT on ESPN2.

My Owls and my Tigers back in Tallahassee. Let’s go!!

19 hours ago, steeleagle said:

And we were competitive in almost every SEC game, losing by 1 run nine times. 

It is hard to see it, but in softball and to an extent baseball, SOS is a huge factor, and in some cases not so much the conference record, especially from a conference like the SEC.

Yeah, but still 7-17 in the SEC?!?

I'm pulling for them, but expectations are pretty low.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Yeah, but still 7-17 in the SEC?!?

I'm pulling for them, but expectations are pretty low.

Oh totally. If we didn't see strong improvement in hitting towards the 2nd half of their SEC schedule, I don' t expect it to suddenly show up in the regional. 

This is far more a mental and teaching issue IMO on why our hitting was so weak, and showed little to no power too. That doesn't change in the playoffs. 

I wonder what these ladies think, seeing how their batting avgs looked, and their lack of ability to drive in runs? They can't be too confident, and are looking for reasons why, now that the regular season is over...

Is there really that much to change?

You come out of HS and travel ball knowing how to hit.  You might need a tweek here and there.  ie..... keep your shoulder up, get you feet apart, etc.

How does a college coach take a stud to a dog at the plate?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Is there really that much to change?

You come out of HS and travel ball knowing how to hit.  You might need a tweek here and there.  ie..... keep your shoulder up, get you feet apart, etc.

How does a college coach take a stud to a dog at the plate?

FOr one reason, those hitters in HS very rarely see top level pitchers week after week. And these hitters are not used to seeing softball pitchers that have the pitching arsenal they will see in college. For example, pitchers can throw over 65+ with different pitches that move up, down, sideways, etc..

And these hitters from HS now have to be taught in college how to hit all these pitches and speeds. Just bc they play travel ball, not all pitchers get to college. 

ofc there are going to be some of your recruits that can hit anything probably, but the majority on a roster are going to need college coaching to improve and refine their hitting ability. 

• Like 1

Well most of these girls come from TOP travel ball organizations that play and compete at a very high level. Premier, ASA Nationals, Gold, etc. Traveling all over to face the best pitching. That is why you don't see college coaches recruiting at the high school games but at travel tournaments. But from what I hear from the masses at the games their practices consist of scrimmages and very little repetitions of fielding and front toss in hitting is not a way to address or improve on those skills.  UCF has a very strong pitcher and we know what FSU has. Pulling for the girls but I feel it will be a quick exit for us. We will know this time tomorrow and I hope I am wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

My goodness, what happened to Lowe? She gave up 5 runs in the 2nd inning? That's totally not like her...

we are down 1 heading to the last inning, so I hope we pull it out, but again that many runs is going to get us a loss in 99% of our games, bc we can't score enough...