Softball headed to Tallahassee Regional

Freaking loafed to first!  Terrible mistake by the freshman.  My gosh we had everything we could ask for before that at bat. 

• Like 1

Crap! I actually thought we would pull it out.  Saw more energy than any other time this year in that dugout.  You have to know to hustle down the line.  Must know the situation.  I know I'm being hard on Packer but this is the playoffs and zero effort is a pet peeve. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Down 1 run in 7th inning w/ bases loaded & 1 out, and we hit into double play to end game. Not sure what it looked like on TV but in person looked like batter didn't hustle to first on close play. She looked at first base coach afterwards like "what gives"? On to the elimination bracket.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Down 1 run in 7th inning w/ bases loaded & 1 out, and we hit into double play to end game. Not sure what it looked like on TV but in person looked like batter didn't hustle to first on close play. She looked at first base coach afterwards like "what gives"? On to the elimination bracket.

Man, u ought to scratch out a run in that situation. And packer is fast enough that I’m shocked she couldn’t beat out a DP ball. 
was she really not hustling?
Even if she thought it was 2 outs she has to  sprint and hope the fielder bobbles it or rushes a throw. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

Absolutely no way she should have gotten thrown out after going home with the ball first.  She loafed the final 3rd. Just pulled up and jogged.  Almost like she thought there were 2 outs and the soft hit to pitcher was going to be out 3. Emily was getting after her it appeared. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Freaking loafed to first!  Terrible mistake by the freshman.  My gosh we had everything we could ask for before that at bat. 

She’s not a freshman after 40 games. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Man, u ought to scratch out a run in that situation. And packer is fast enough that I’m shocked she couldn’t beat out a DP ball. 
was she really not hustling?
Even if she thought it was 2 outs she has to  sprint and hope the fielder bobbles it or rushes a throw. 

Heck it crossed my mind to try a suicide squeeze with Packer hitting and Rivera. Only needed 1 to tie. And Rivera is crazy enough to go for it lol. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

She’s not a freshman after 40 games. 

Agreed.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

She almost beat the throw out and I'm not sure she ever reached full effort running to first. She damn near stops about 15 feet from the bag.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, boomstick said:

She almost beat the throw out and I'm not sure she ever reached full effort running to first. She damn near stops about 15 feet from the bag.

I bet she'll remember that one and learn from it.  It's just this regional is too tough as it is too try to work our way through the LB. With the way we hit, didn't need extra games to play.  And we actually executed the bunts as well.  Just frustrating. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, boomstick said:

And she’s the player that is 15 for 15 in stolen bases. No way she should ever hit into a DP. 

• Like 3

I doubt Packer ever jogs down the first base line again. 

We hit the ball well enough to win today, but they were on Lowe from the first pitch. KK came in and did well afterwards. Fielding has to be cleaned up a little. 

We will see what happens tomorrow. 

• Angry 1

One Good thing is Rivera has found her bat again.

• Like 2

You can blame Packer for not hustling but ultimately it comes down to coaching!!! Freshman or not call time and explain the importance of the situation...

Edited by AU1947
  • Like 1

Side note, saw Emily was back at first coaching. Break before Olympics? Or are they boycotting lol?

45 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Side note, saw Emily was back at first coaching. Break before Olympics? Or are they boycotting lol?

My assumption is her schedule will allow her to join team Italy in less than 24 hours because I don’t expect Auburn to make it to the regional final on Sunday. 

Love AU, but I’m just calling it like I see it. This team isn’t playing smart right now, and we don’t deserve to win. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AU1947 said:

You can blame Packer for not hustling but ultimately it comes down to coaching!!! Freshman or not call time and explain the importance of the situation...

A coach shouldn’t have to tell a player to hustle. That’s not on Dean to stop and take time to tell her to hustle. 
he may have mismanaged other times but these players have played enough ball to know the situation and what needs to be done w the situation she was batting in. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, all4AU said:

My assumption is her schedule will allow her to join team Italy in less than 24 hours because I don’t expect Auburn to make it to the regional final on Sunday. 

Love AU, but I’m just calling it like I see it. This team isn’t playing smart right now, and we don’t deserve to win. 

I saw a little fire in them today, but the end may have just extinguished it. 

42 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

A coach shouldn’t have to tell a player to hustle. That’s not on Dean to stop and take time to tell her to hustle. 
he may have mismanaged other times but these players have played enough ball to know the situation and what needs to be done w the situation she was batting in. 

While I agree somewhat you still have to manage the players, situation, and the game. She may have thought there were 2 outs... you never know but in something as important as that situation you do not take it for granted... You put the player in the situation so make dang sure they know the importance and what is at stake. Excuses have become monotonous. And we should have scored in the previous innings and it would not have come down to the 7th... plenty of opportunities prior to that... 

Edited by AU1947

38 minutes ago, AU1947 said:

While I agree somewhat you still have to manage the players, situation, and the game. She may have thought there were 2 outs... you never know but in something as important as that situation you do not take it for granted... You put the player in the situation so make dang sure they know the importance and what is at stake. Excuses have become monotonous. And we should have scored in the previous innings and it would not have come down to the 7th... plenty of opportunities prior to that... 

I agree they had other opportunities in 2 other innings w a runner at 2nd. 
but this teams ability w RISP has been weak all year. As Dean said after the game they just didn’t execute when it was most important. 
and if the coaches didn’t let Packer know there was only 1 out then coaches are partly at fault. 
but in the end, based on posters review of that last at bat Packer still should have been hustling REGARDLESS of the number of outs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AU1947 said:

Bologna-she’s played more then enough ball to keep you ALWAYS run all out to first.  

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree they had other opportunities in 2 other innings w a runner at 2nd. 
but this teams ability w RISP has been weak all year. As Dean said after the game they just didn’t execute when it was most important. 
and if the coaches didn’t let Packer know there was only 1 out then coaches are partly at fault. 
but in the end, based on posters review of that last at bat Packer still should have been hustling REGARDLESS of the number of outs. 

Agreed. She didn't hustle and appeared to give up going to first. But there is more than enough blame to go around and share...

9 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

Bologna-she’s played more then enough ball to keep you ALWAYS run all out to first.  

True. But as a coach at third, first, and in the dugout you should be reminding players what is at stake. Yes they have played a lot of ball. And yes there is NOT any excuse to not leg it out to first... but there is also no excuse for the lack of coaching...