Softball headed to Tallahassee Regional

Florida State beat Kennessaw by a good margin. We face the Owls in elimination game. 

I threw the towel in when with one out in the bottom of the 7th, runners in 2nd and 3rd and Mckenna at bat with a 3-0 count, she took a fat one down the middle.

Hell's bells! We didn't need a walk, we needed the ball hit to the right side of the infield to push the tying run across. One of our better hitters up, a lefty at that, and she takes a fat pitch. Inexcusable. Yes, she eventually walked and that did us no good at all. Had she put the ball in play we'd have had a chance. She might even have hit that one into the gap and won the game on one swing. BUMMER!

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I threw the towel in when with one out in the bottom of the 7th, runners in 2nd and 3rd and Mckenna at bat with a 3-0 count, she took a fat one down the middle.

Hell's bells! We didn't need a walk, we needed the ball hit to the right side of the infield to push the tying run across. One of our better hitters up, a lefty at that, and she takes a fat pitch. Inexcusable. Yes, she eventually walked and that did us no good at all. Had she put the ball in play we'd have had a chance. She might even have hit that one into the gap and won the game on one swing. BUMMER!

I can only think she was given the take sign. I agree that the more batters that came up for Auburn, the less confident I got. Crazy to think about, but McK was the best chance to put it away. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AU1947 said:

True. But as a coach at third, first, and in the dugout you should be reminding players what is at stake. Yes they have played a lot of ball. And yes there is NOT any excuse to not leg it out to first... but there is also no excuse for the lack of coaching...

I think all of us that understand softball and baseball logistics, would agree. 

What we don't know, is if the coaches didn't remind her of the number of outs. Maybe they did.

What we DO know, based on who saw the game...was that Packer did NOT hustle to beat the throw regardless of whether it was 1 or 2 outs. 

So one is speculation, the other is a fact. 

• Like 2

I saw three different occasions that she didn’t go full speed or didn’t look like she knew what what going on. This whole team just doesn’t look sharp at all. I just see so many little mental mistakes and that is definitely coaching. I am definitely not a fan of our coach. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, AUfan3333 said:

I saw three different occasions that she didn’t go full speed or didn’t look like she knew what what going on. This whole team just doesn’t look sharp at all. I just see so many little mental mistakes and that is definitely coaching. I am definitely not a fan of our coach. 

The final out of the game was obvious but what were the other two times she did not go full speed.  She did have a stolen base.  

1 hour ago, slot canyon said:

The final out of the game was obvious but what were the other two times she did not go full speed.  She did have a stolen base.  

She has not been coached as an outfielder on how to catch the ball coming through it and make the throw on the run. Could have thrown the girl out at 3rd yesterday if she had run threw the catch like Rivera did. And that is coaching or a lack thereof...

So Packer lolly gags to first yesterday and now is starting? Well now that is coaching....  and an inconsistent message..... Remember he benched Packer earlier in the season for running through a stop he was giving her..... should have benched her now too!! 

Edited by AU1947

1 and 2 against Kennesaw State this year! So embarrassing.... and 1 damn hit!! The girls appeared to have been checked out. Change is inevitable....

Edited by AU1947
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, slot canyon said:

2 hours ago, AU1947 said:

She has not been coached as an outfielder on how to catch the ball coming through it and make the throw on the run. Could have thrown the girl out at 3rd yesterday if she had run threw the catch like Rivera did. And that is coaching or a lack thereof...

As 1947 said, this was the second thing, and if she hasn’t been coached that then that’s on the coach! Also, the third thing is also probably on the coach as well. When she stole second the infielder interfered with her so she should has instantly made an effort to third and she would have gotten it. Umpire had his arm out, coach should have definitely been screaming at her and she should be coached to know that!

• Like 2

Well that’s all folks. The ending to another dismal and disappointing season under the leadership of good ole Mickey Dean. Please please send him off on his motorcycle never to return to the Plains. 

• Like 1

Well I would say a 1-0 loss w 1 hit totally epitomized this team and their terrible lack of hitting. Feel bad for Lowe who did a great comeback pitching after her bad outing yesterday. 

it also could have been a total downer after the 7th inning yesterday. 

those of you who have any inside connects to the players family or the program keep us up to date on what could be happening w players and definitely the current coaches. Many of us enjoy watching our AU softball ladies team and can only hope for a better program next season. 

• Like 4

In the words of Popeye: "Our softball program is embarrassking "

Edited by ArgoEagle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

In the words of Popeye: "Our softball program is embarrassking "

Embarrassking?  That's a new one on me. Maybe it also applies to baseball, FB and men and women basketball?😀

Edited by Proud Tiger
  • Facepalm 1

"Lose two and barbecue" is what I expected and that's what we got. The only thing that surprised me is we scored four runs in game one.

This is a mighty young team and rumor has it that a good class is coming in. Whether that means we should keep the current staff or not I'm not sure. I'd make a change, because of stuff like a runner on third getting hit by a fair ball and similar coaching fiascos mentioned above.

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

"Lose two and barbecue" is what I expected and that's what we got. The only thing that surprised me is we scored four runs in game one.

This is a mighty young team and rumor has it that a good class is coming in. Whether that means we should keep the current staff or not I'm not sure. I'd make a change, because of stuff like a runner on third getting hit by a fair ball and similar coaching fiascos mentioned above.

You never make decision about keeping a coach based on the upcoming recruits,  you make that decision on past results and accomplishments. 

Dean’s teams have progressively gotten worse resulting in being the worst team in the SEC

• Like 5

I didn’t get to watch too much of the game yesterday, but the results are disappointing. I wish the seniors success in the phases of their life. I’ll be interested to see what happens over the next few weeks in regards to players and coaches.

I imagine a couple of players will end up in the portal. I hope none of the pitchers transfer out of the program, but I under the reasoning if they feel it is best. It’s possible we see a player or two transfer into the program too.

I would be shocked if Lenti is on staff next year. The team showed little to no progress at the plate this year. We need someone who can instill confidence and develop talent at the plate. 

Our roster will be freshman and sophomore heavy next year. With Dowell and Handley putting their names in the portal before the season is over, it seems Dean is prioritizing keeping scholarship promises to his recruits. This move will allow Dean to make any remaining changes he feels will be necessary for future success.

These next statements are dependent upon transfers: I do think we will improve next year with more experience for current players and more talent in the incoming recruiting class and possible transfers. For Dean to have any success next year though, he will need to keep the 4 remaining pitchers on the roster. 

Mod edit:  we dont allow rumors here.  Do not repost it

On 5/23/2021 at 12:34 PM, Jad0003 said:

I didn’t get to watch too much of the game yesterday, but the results are disappointing. I wish the seniors success in the phases of their life. I’ll be interested to see what happens over the next few weeks in regards to players and coaches.

I imagine a couple of players will end up in the portal. I hope none of the pitchers transfer out of the program, but I under the reasoning if they feel it is best. It’s possible we see a player or two transfer into the program too.

I would be shocked if Lenti is on staff next year. The team showed little to no progress at the plate this year. We need someone who can instill confidence and develop talent at the plate. 

Our roster will be freshman and sophomore heavy next year. With Dowell and Handley putting their names in the portal before the season is over, it seems Dean is prioritizing keeping scholarship promises to his recruits. This move will allow Dean to make any remaining changes he feels will be necessary for future success.

These next statements are dependent upon transfers: I do think we will improve next year with more experience for current players and more talent in the incoming recruiting class and possible transfers. For Dean to have any success next year though, he will need to keep the 4 remaining pitchers on the roster. 

As far as Dean is concerned, he is not a Greene hire, so that may play into going forward. And Although Dean rep is a great recruiter and development of pitching, those on here who follow it closer than I, can fill in the gaps, where is on the field coaching is concerning. Some of that may be a combination of him trying to do more on the bases, bc of a lack of power hitting and just stringing hits together to generate more than 1-2 runs we mostly were stuck in.

I agree with you, he has a good nucleus of pitching strength, but if any of that falls apart with transfers, then I don't see him weathering the storm, regardless of the hitters he has coming in.

But it falls on the HC over the last 4 years w/ not having a solid hitting team. And this year was the worst of the 4...

• Like 1