Georgia Transfer KD Johnson commits to AU

GwillMac6

5 hours ago, fredst said:

WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!LFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got video of @GwillMac6when he saw the announcement:

714F84C8-882E-4876-B21E-BF76A207E981.gif

And his house for the after party:

D4CDF567-9EE2-44FF-9255-845B855F49C6.gif

WAR DAMN BBBBBAAAAYYYYYBBBBAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

62009c2464376252be9cb3c2e0478d14.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, fredst said:

WWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!LFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got video of @GwillMac6when he saw the announcement:

714F84C8-882E-4876-B21E-BF76A207E981.gif

And his house for the after party:

D4CDF567-9EE2-44FF-9255-845B855F49C6.gif

WAR DAMN BBBBBAAAAYYYYYBBBBAAAAYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That must be at his place in Palm Beach no way that's West Palm Beach

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

How many of these guys are here for 1 year or gone after next year?

Will we likely be in the same situation next year with trying to fill a roster with transfers?

• Love 1

26 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Will we likely be in the same situation next year with trying to fill a roster with transfers?

Dude you are looking waaaaayyyyyy too far ahead on this one lol. 

But yeah we will probably be completely rebuilding the team next season as well. How will that work without the transfers being eligible right away?? I have no idea :Sing:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tgrogan21 said:

Went from multiple seasons in a row of no depth to this. With 1 spot open if Thor doesn't come back ... my goodness the amount of work that Pearl and his staff has done in the portal coming off of a postseason ban!

When you have Jaylin Freakin' Williams coming off the bench! You know you have some petty damn good depth.

I mean just look at that 2 deep! And we still have 1 more slot to fill if Thor does not return. What rabbits does Pearl have in his hat now??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

Somewhat but we have already signed the Kessler replacement, Caldwell will be in his 3rd year and I expect to be a true SEC Center, Cambridge, Moore and maybe Williams will be back, 1 or 2 of our PG's will be back and you know Bruce is working to bring in some really good Freshmen. We will have a nucleus of experienced players for talented players to join.

Unlike past year where we had no true nucleus so the talented players were thrown into the fire early. It will be hard to match the talent level of the team we are about to put on the floor because we have a couple of super stars in Smith and Kessler with a lot of experience. 

We have potential to be a final 4 team next year with a solid team the year after if not a great team depending on who Bruce can sign.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Well, if I had to guess, we'll lose 4-5 players to eligibility/NBA, but that still leaves us with a danged good returning team, plus whatever Bruce brings in as freshmen.

• Like 1

fire up the grill!  Auburn is lit!

strike that...sorry; bad example. 

Beach party, Vegas....just not the grill!

We have to be able to keep things light hearted.

I am still just amazed.   If we can land a couple of players that in tackle football, you know for the offensive side,  that would be a huge 'get'.  I wonder if Bruce can recruit OTs - he nails the guard and center positions in BB.   it's similar right?

Edited by Beaker
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

With Jasper and Sills, its hard to say. They will be SRs playing this year, but bc of covid/NCAA, they can still play 2 more years if they want to.

We will get Kessler, Johnson and Green for at 2-3 years, since they played as FR this year and could have 4 years to play on scholarship, but more than likely Kessler will play 1 before going pro, and Johnson and and Green unless they are NBA potentials, probably play 2-3 yrs. 

And Jabari could be a 1 and done...but he came to college for a reason...and not jump like Scoot is seemingly going to do.

And as others have said, we have offered some really top level players recently...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

And Jabari could be a 1 and done...but he came to college for a reason...and not jump like Scoot is seemingly going to do.

He came to college for a reason, sure, but barring injury or underwhelming play, he's a lottery pick in 2022, quite possibly higher than Okoro went last year. Bruce will be among those telling him to leave.

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I mean you can't really look ahead 2 years from now. You can maybe stop and say something about the guys that will be leaving after next season. But then you look at the lineup and you still possibly have:

PG: Wendell Green Jr. / Zep Jasper (He can still play 2 seasons due to Covid if I'm not mistaken)

SG: K.D. Johnson / Desi Sills (Again, Covid)

SF: Allen Flanigan / Devan Cambridge / Chris Moore

PF: Jabari Smith / Jaylin Williams

C : Walker Kessler / Dylan Cardwell / Stretch Akingbola

Now, it's possible that everyone could stay due to COVID giving players an extra year of eligibility. Jabari could also just REALLLLLLY love school and want to be the big fish in the little pond. It's not gonna happen, though. Jabari is gone after next year. I don't gamble but if I did I would put money on it.

I also think Flanigan is going pro and possibly Walker. Lets just say that Desi and Zep don't want to play another year of basketball and want to go pro oversees to make money (good for them). That still leaves you with an entire starting 5 with a lot of basketball experience in Green, KD, Cambridge, Williams, and Cardwell. You have Sage coming in who should replace Walker if he decides to go pro and he's gonna be a good one.

Also, I think that Dylan Cardwell is someone everyone should keep an eye on this year. We saw moments of where the light was flashing for him. For a kid who didn't play his senior year of high school, coming in as a freshman to have those moments was very nice to see. I think with a full offseason to work with Pearl and the staff and then coming into a FULL and ROWDY jungle, you'll see him feed off that energy and be one of the most improved players on this team.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

He came to college for a reason, sure, but barring injury or underwhelming play, he's a lottery pick in 2022, quite possibly higher than Okoro went last year. Bruce will be among those telling him to leave.

I don't disagree with this in the least. I was answering in regards that Jabari WANTED to come to college, where Scoot evidently WANTED to go to Gleague. I am basing this on that Jabari had the opportunity to go Gleague too...

Did someone poison the dog’s water bowl in Humptown? And I was worried about our transfers!

The University of Georgia basketball team is getting thinner.

Nine UGA players have entered the NCAA Transfer Portal since the end of the 2020-21 season. Tom Crean‘s squad has lost 83.4 percent of its scoring, 72.5 percent of its rebounding, and 72.1 percent of its 3-pointers made.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I don't disagree with this in the least. I was answering in regards that Jabari WANTED to come to college, where Scoot evidently WANTED to go to Gleague. I am basing this on that Jabari had the opportunity to go Gleague too...

To be fair, we don't know their financial situations...or at least I don't. But I would guess that Jabari being his father's son probably isn't in a place where his family is in any need of him chipping in. Scoot may have that as an issue.

But you're right, at the end of the day, Jabari wanted to play in college, and it doesn't seem that Scoot wanted to do so enough. Would love for him to shock everyone and flip to Auburn, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

Would love to put Thor at the SF and have Flan come off the bench. What a lineup. And depth..

Would be awesome to have JT around for another year, but don't go getting your hopes up about it.

I'm not too impressed about this guy. Just my opinion. I'm not liking our backcourt really

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm not too impressed about this guy. Just my opinion. I'm not liking our backcourt really

Why? I'm not arguing or supporting what you're saying, but I think Green has a very high ceiling (in this offense) and KD definitely seems like a NBA player in me, just someone who's going to have to get some bad habits when it comes to facilitating beaten out of him. Japser seems like someone who can replicate the Samir Doughty role (I say that instead of Bryce, who works better height wise, bc of the secondary facilitator role the latter played). 

idk how they come together, but in a vacuum, there's some solid guys. So little height that it'll likely necessitate either Cambridge or Flan playing the 2 in certain matchups, but I think that's fine

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Why? I'm not arguing or supporting what you're saying, but I think Green has a very high ceiling (in this offense) and KD definitely seems like a NBA player in me, just someone who's going to have to get some bad habits when it comes to facilitating beaten out of him. Japser seems like someone who can replicate the Samir Doughty role (I say that instead of Bryce, who works better height wise, bc of the secondary facilitator role the latter played). 

idk how they come together, but in a vacuum, there's some solid guys. So little height that it'll likely necessitate either Cambridge or Flan playing the 2 in certain matchups, but I think that's fine

I agree completely on all points, particularly about Jasper's comparison. While I don't know that Zep has quite the touch for the 3 ball that Bryce did (haven't looked at Bryce's numbers lately, but it seemed like he shot it better), he's absolutely capable of being the 2 who slides into the 1 when the starter needs a breather that Samir was, not to mention both being great defensively.

I, for one, am excited to see what this backcourt can do with the talent we have at 3, 4, and 5. It lacks the superstar flavor that Coop brought last year and that Scoot would have brought had he decided to come, but these are the kinds of guards that Bruce has consistently turned into solid to great players in the past. I'm especially interested in seeing Green go at the point, because he seems like he has the potential to play a very similar game to that of Sharife, and he's likely going to be here for a few years, which will give us stability at the position which handles the ball the most.

• WarTiger changed the title to Georgia Transfer KD Johnson commits to AU
13 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We'll see. I certainly don't know for sure, but I think green may have trouble finishing and the other guy isn't too much of an efficient scorer and I don't think I like them together defensively. Maybe if Flanagan can play some at the 2. I'm just saying there would beno worry or intimidation or back down from me whenever the time would be_for me to face them. 

37 minutes ago, cole256 said:

We'll see. I certainly don't know for sure, but I think green may have trouble finishing and the other guy isn't too much of an efficient scorer and I don't think I like them together defensively. Maybe if Flanagan can play some at the 2. I'm just saying there would beno worry or intimidation or back down from me whenever the time would be_for me to face them. 

Zep was not efficient, but he also took inefficient shots from inefficient spots, and also seemed to be someone who routinely faced doubles from what I've read. He will definitely take less mid ranges (specifically pull up ones) here, and will be likely 4th on the scoring totem pole whenever he's on the court. I need to see more from his 3 ball like all of us though, that's going to obviously be the most value he brings when he's in there with the big dogs. 

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I agree completely on all points, particularly about Jasper's comparison. While I don't know that Zep has quite the touch for the 3 ball that Bryce did (haven't looked at Bryce's numbers lately, but it seemed like he shot it better), he's absolutely capable of being the 2 who slides into the 1 when the starter needs a breather that Samir was, not to mention both being great defensively.

I, for one, am excited to see what this backcourt can do with the talent we have at 3, 4, and 5. It lacks the superstar flavor that Coop brought last year and that Scoot would have brought had he decided to come, but these are the kinds of guards that Bruce has consistently turned into solid to great players in the past. I'm especially interested in seeing Green go at the point, because he seems like he has the potential to play a very similar game to that of Sharife, and he's likely going to be here for a few years, which will give us stability at the position which handles the ball the most.

I can definitely understand people's qualms about the guard play, bc there aren't many teams (none that I can think of) that win without a star level guard (Flan technically could fit in that billing but w/e). At this moment though, I think 4 solid-above solid level guards around an elite front court can succeed in this conference. Hopefully, someone can rise to above that "decent" level though 

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

For the record, I prefer the thread title: Georgia G Transfer KD Johnson commits to AU!!!! .

For the record I love to keep changing it to whatever @WarTiger doesn't have it as! 😂😂 *Shrugs* 🤷‍♂️he hates it when it put all the **** so I of course love it!!! 😆 🤣

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Haha 1