BO and TJ

aubiefifty

quote from tj

quote:

Auburn’s coaching staff reached out to Finley a few days after he announced his decision to transfer from LSU, and the message from first-year head coach Bryan Harsin and offensive coordinator Mike Bobo was, according to Finley, “very clear” — they want him to come in and try to compete for the starting job this fall.

“They have a new system going in, and they feel like I fit their system, and it’s a lot of things that they are telling me that are very promising,”

another person said he thinks bo will go pro this year and tj would be the starter next year which i have my doubts but i am just a fan. my problem is what happens when bo goes pro? i just do not think unless he ups his game he might not get drafted as a qb. his numbers just do not add up so far. and let me be clear i hope the young man nails it and goes number one. thoughts?

• Like 2

If TJ came to AU and won the job - I'm betting Bo would look to transfer. Our best case here is that TJ is a quality guy that can give us some depth and be a very capable SEC QB next season. With the transfer portal set up like it is, teams are going to have a tough time keeping more than 2 quality QBs at the level we want AU to play. Teams in the SEC need a guy who they can depend on to play their sophomore and/or junior seasons and then have the next guy up. That is the only way I see teams keeping 2 legit QB's on the same team. Look no further than to our immediate west and you get a good idea what a QB rotation should look like. If a guy comes back for his senior year or a younger guy wins the job you will see good QBs hit the market. Regardless, we need a guy like TJ to be on the team right now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AUcivE09 said:

Our best case here is that TJ is a quality guy that can give us some depth and be a very capable SEC QB next season.

There is a huge discussion about this in the recruiting thread, but why would this be the best case? Wouldn't the best case be to have the best player here to play the QB position ?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

There is a huge discussion about this in the recruiting thread, but why would this be the best case? Wouldn't the best case be to have the best player here to play the QB position ?

Don't know if I can handle two threads, but GD imma try

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUcivE09 said:

Our best case here is that TJ is a quality guy that can give us some depth

damn it, I forgot to log out of my alt account

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Best case is that both are very close and coaches choose the best one now and the other one stays whoever it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I feel like some people are misreading the AUCiv90's post, semi-purposely, due to previous conversations on the subject. AUCiv explains his reason pretty plainly. If I read him correctly we have to have space between high calibre QBs to keep them from transferring. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if *both* are potentially really good players, if the JR loses out to the So, the JR is gone (transfer portal). The other way around, Finley could play a few games, RS, and have two years left as a starter. This is honestly why I was hoping to see Gatewood pull ahead of Bo. Bo could have RS'd and put enough buffer between him and Joey to make waiting his turn reasonable.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I feel like some people are misreading the AUCiv90's post, semi-purposely, due to previous conversations on the subject. AUCiv explains his reason pretty plainly. If I read him correctly we have to have space between high calibre QBs to keep them from transferring. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but if *both* are potentially really good players, if the JR loses out to the So, the JR is gone (transfer portal). The other way around, Finley could play a few games, RS, and have two years left as a starter. This is honestly why I was hoping to see Gatewood pull ahead of Bo. Bo could have RS'd and put enough buffer between him and Joey to make waiting his turn reasonable.

The problem is we are hoping to keep two supposedly starters and that is not the way things work. The risk is going to be there regardless . So yes, if TJ comes and wins the job fair and square , Bo could transfer and that’s the way it goes. I would rather have a competent QB come in and start with success versus quality depth. I feel like this is the only position where folks tend to try to compromise 

• Like 2

The QB that isn't here is always the savior it seems.  I doubt that he would win the starting job.   I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

The problem is we are hoping to keep two supposedly starters and that is not the way things work. The risk is going to be there regardless . So yes, if TJ comes and wins the job fair and square , Bo could transfer and that’s the way it goes. I would rather have a competent QB come in and start with success versus quality depth. I feel like this is the only position where folks tend to try to compromise 

I understand this position as it's been stated by several posters. I have no idea what TJ would do, assuming he signs, if Bo starts next year, but it's a really solid bet that Bo would leave if TJ starts, b/c his window for ever starting again at AU just shrunk to nil. In a perfect world we have *two* high quality QBs on the roster with a two year gap between them. Not saying that's how it would play out, but there is more of a chance of that scenario with Bo starting than TJ starting (unless you start looking at TJ --> DD?).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

The QB that isn't here is always the savior it seems.  I doubt that he would win the starting job.   I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Not looking for a savior. Looking for competent QB play.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, AUinfusion said:

I understand this position as it's been stated by several posters. I have no idea what TJ would do, assuming he signs, if Bo starts next year, but it's a really solid bet that Bo would leave if TJ starts, b/c his window for ever starting again at AU just shrunk to nil. In a perfect world we have *two* high quality QBs on the roster with a two year gap between them. Not saying that's how it would play out, but there is more of a chance of that scenario with Bo starting than TJ starting (unless you start looking at TJ --> DD?).

Correct. I was just more or less saying most people perfectly understand what the previous poster is saying. I think a majority just don't care lol. I at least want the best QB to be out there.

Edited by DAG

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Bo has been inconsistent, but he has had times when he exhibited more than competent QB play. TJ Finley looks the part physically, but his actual playing stats don't suggest that he would be able to win the starting QB job.  We all saw what happened when his pocket collapsed.  Deer in headlights comes to mind.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Bo has been inconsistent, but he has had times when he exhibited more than competent QB play. TJ Finley looks the part physically, but his actual playing stats don't suggest that he would be able to win the starting QB job.  We all saw what happened when his pocket collapsed.  Deer in headlights comes to mind.

True but we also have to take into account him being a true freshman and under what circumstances. When we say things like this about Bo, majority of the time I hear but take into account his coach and offensive line. I want to give this kid the same benefit of a doubt and more importantly I want to defer to the experts who are wanting him to compete for the starting job. At times Bo has done that but we are going into junior year now , hoping he can be consistent. That is my major concern and why I am more than happy bringing in this guy, who seemingly might not be too far behind. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

True but we also have to take into account him being a true freshman and under what circumstances. When we say things like this about Bo, majority of the time I hear but take into account his coach and offensive line. I want to give this kid the same benefit of a doubt and more importantly I want to defer to the experts who are wanting him to compete for the starting job.

It’s hard for AU fans to adjust to the fact that QBs who play for Harsin and Bobo almost always improve and develop. Throw in better O line coaches and an actual big boy offensive scheme and all of our QBs will look better. We don’t remember how it is supposed to work. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I don't see what makes this different than the other thread we have

If Bo goes pro, we hopefully have someone to replace him...I don't really know how you project how this depth chart looks like at the end of the 2022-23 season. I'd think Griner would be the next starting QB based on the dialogue about the current QBs on the roster. It's all just guessing though 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

1 hour ago, DAG said:

But you wouldn't kick him to the curb if he WAS a savior, I hope. :wavey:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

It’s hard for AU fans to adjust to the fact that QBs who play for Harsin and Bobo almost always improve and develop. Throw in better O line coaches and an actual big boy offensive scheme and all of our QBs will look better. We don’t remember how it is supposed to work. 

That’s what I am hoping to see and quite frankly I think they will roll with the one who shows the most promise and upside. 

From what I saw out of TJ Finley last season count me as not that excited.  Granted he was a freshman playing in an offense that wasn’t working and I’m an insurance salesman and not a football coach.  That being said I want to put my eggs in the Dee bucket after Bo leaves.  If Dee can put it together, his speed + throwing ability could be something else.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

From what I saw out of TJ Finley last season count me as not that excited.  Granted he was a freshman playing in an offense that wasn’t working and I’m an insurance salesman and not a football coach.  That being said I want to put my eggs in the Dee bucket after Bo leaves.  If Dee can put it together, his speed + throwing ability could be something else.  

Shouldn’t we first be trying to put our eggs in the Bo bucket first? Lol. I think that’s why we are at this crossroads. It isn’t there. That’s why we don’t see as much discussion like this with the CMU RB coming in. There is no doubt who the man is .

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

Shouldn’t we first be trying to put our eggs in the Bo bucket first? Lol. I think that’s why we are at this crossroads. It isn’t there. That’s why we don’t see as much discussion like this with the CMU RB coming in. There is no doubt who the man is .

Personally I don’t think TJ Finley could tie Bo Nix’s shoes.  Bo Nix is Auburn’s starting QB until he goes pro or runs out of eligibility.  If Auburn’s passing game struggles out of the gates it’ll be the WRs not knowing what’s going on more than anything Bo is doing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 3

Just now, Win4AU said:

Personally I don’t think TJ Finley could tie Bo Nix’s shoes.  Bo Nix is Auburn’s starting QB until he goes pro or runs out of eligibility.  If Auburn’s passing game struggles out of the gates it’ll be the WRs not knowing what’s going on more than anything Bo is doing. 

Wow. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Hilarious

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Btw I am not saying wow to your first statement. I 110% disagree . I am a little baffled in how you completely already started the campaign of taking accountability already though from Bo, which is why I think it is so important to have this young man come in.  

We all have our little biases. I see how he really struggled against Bama, the Aggies and us. However, when I look at the USCe and Arkansas games...man what potential. He has a very nice spin to the ball in short yardage and long term throws. My assumption Is this what our coaches see and with a little more coaching up, working on the little things, the sky is the limit.