BO and TJ

aubiefifty

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It’s really funny, someone on here posted he was a sub 60%, like mid 50s% completion rating passer in HS during the midst of his freshman year...and it was an actual revelation on here for a while. I followed the coverage on him as a recruit pretty decently...NEVER got covered

We really have no evidence for him as a player to become a truly accurate guy by this point, and while I don’t like the doomsday narrative, I just wonder why it wasn’t at least suggested early on with how many other QBs here got the “project” label 

I swear, I'm not trying to do a told you so thing but maybe somebody will look but during the QB battle people started saying how JG wasn't accurate and I brought up how Bo wasn't super accurate himself. Then there was a scrimmage or something and everybody assumed the interceptions were from JG but it turned out it was from Bo. And if I remember right it ended up being Bo threw more picks and less td's and that's why I was wondering out loud well how did he win, I wonder what metric was used

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Um, yeah. The only time that TJ has been offered any "passes" was when people tried to suggest that Bo was at some massive disadvantage comparatively because he played for Gus, as if Finley was somehow playing for 2019 LSU.

"But he got pulled from games..."  Um, yeah. Bo should've gotten yanked multiple times as a true freshman, too. Except he had a coach who absolutely would not pull him under literally any conditions whatsoever. 

It's crap like that. It's always dumb crap like that.

See what I mean, @cole256? It's even the same people. 

Oh yeah. You know I go at it with people a bit more than you but I remember even typing out the exact examples you used in this post. I'm for everybody debating what they believe but sometimes I think in my head bro you knew as you were typing this that this is b.s. 😂

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I wonder what metric was used

And then that's when we remember that there were these articles talking about how Gus and Bo had "a special connection". 

Gus Malzahn yanked Joey Gatewood's jersey to keep him from entering the game against Florida in 2019. Bo Nix threw 3 INTs to 1 TD and 147 yards in that game. He rushed for 18 yards and no TDs.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

And then that's when we remember that there were these articles talking about how Gus and Bo had "a special connection". 

Gus Malzahn yanked Joey Gatewood's jersey to keep him from entering the game against Florida in 2019. Bo Nix threw 3 INTs to 1 TD and 147 yards in that game. He rushed for 18 yards and no TDs.

Yep. And you had a bunch of players that would light up when they talked about JG and a bunch of them would bring up how JG would step up to another level when things were live. 

And I think a group of us debated as far as being live actually mattering or not but I would propose that the reason we're here at Bo getting over the bad habits in the pocket this late in his career is related to that. The game is just a whole lot easier for a QB when he knows he can't be touched.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I do think we should consider Bo just like we are considering TJ.  TJ has largely gotten a pass for his underperformance at LSU but why doesn't Nix receive the same treatment?

Here are some comparisons to consider:

• Both were taught the mechanics of being a quarterback by their fathers.
  • Both were early-enrollees as freshmen.
  • Both were starters as freshmen.
  • Both had below-average offensive lines.
  • Both did have talent at WR, TE, and RB to bail them out.
  • Both may have been victims of their previous coaching staffs.

I bring this up because we may be counting Bo out before he receives a chance to prove himself with the new coaching staff.  Both QB's situations seem very similar to me and while I am open to the QB competition, I don't want us to count Bo out when we are giving TJ a pass for the very same reasons. Each have unique skillsets, so let them compete, and let the best man win.

I don't see anyone counting Bo out or giving Finley a pass. But the biggest difference to me is Finley had five games and Bo has had two full seasons. Even with poor coaching, Bo's mechanics should have improved by now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's crap like that. It's always dumb crap like that.

See what I mean, @cole256? It's even the same people. 

What?  You don't even know the full post I wrote so how can you say what I said was "dumb crap?"

Wait, hold on one minute. Somebody also said that Bo *hasn't* gotten a pass?

Excuse me, but just exactly why did y'all think we wanted Gus fired? Exactly why do y'all think we've had thread after thread where the offensive line has been criticized almost mercilessly, with the only mercy being that you can't literally blame *all* of Bo's mistakes on them?

YGTBFKM

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

Even with poor coaching, Bo's mechanics should have improved by now. 

Sooooo much can be done in the offseason to improve mechanics. As has been discussed before, literally all you need is a camera and in internet connection, commonly referred to these days as a "phone". 

• Haha 1

I put in the last ole miss game thread but if Bo can play like a better version of their QB  I'd be ecstatic!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cbo said:

But the biggest difference to me is Finley had five games and Bo has had two full seasons. Even with poor coaching, Bo's mechanics should have improved by now. 

That is fair.  I suppose how I see it is I don't know how Bo could have improved his mechanics under the previous coaching staff.  This is all my opinion of course and I am a noted supporter of Bo so I do have those tinted glasses on.  I will respect the winner of the QB race this Fall though.  I respect the system.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I swear, I'm not trying to do a told you so thing but maybe somebody will look but during the QB battle people started saying how JG wasn't accurate and I brought up how Bo wasn't super accurate himself. Then there was a scrimmage or something and everybody assumed the interceptions were from JG but it turned out it was from Bo. And if I remember right it ended up being Bo threw more picks and less td's and that's why I was wondering out loud well how did he win, I wonder what metric was used

Listen....at some point! People are going to admit Bo didn’t win it bc he was the best overall option at that moment. Even if he was a marginally better passer, which is all I saw from the spring tape, Gus...who saw a Cam Newton also give a middling fall camp, in part due to being unable to go live, had to intentionally ignore the athletic portion of Joey’s skill set 

I feel vindicated in saying this just bc he intentionally never gave Joey even the bare minimum of what he promised going forward. I really do think there was some nepotism going on there

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I put in the last ole miss game thread but if Bo can play like a better version of their QB  I'd be ecstatic!

If only that were possible - no offense to Bo. 

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I feel vindicated in saying this just bc he intentionally never gave Joey even the bare minimum of what he promised going forward. I really do think there was some nepotism going on there

I just don't see how anyone watched that Florida game and didn't understand the arrangement. I gave every benefit of the doubt up until that moment. It was pretty sickening, honestly. Never mind how Gus treated Flash and Worm. What a jackass. 

PS- I'm not mad at Bo for that game. Gus didn't do him any favors by leaving him in there, either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just don't see how anyone watched that Florida game and didn't understand the arrangement. I gave every benefit of the doubt up until that moment. It was pretty sickening, honestly. Never mind how Gus treated Flash and Worm. What a jackass. 

PS- I'm not mad at Bo for that game. Gus didn't do him any favors by leaving him in there, either. 

God it was one of those games where Joey was still on roster and Gus was calling designed QB draws consecutively in the red zone. Took like 4 to finally get Bo in. ******* shameful what happened to Joey man. For a coach to actively set up things in such a way that the backup can’t even get a chance to look impressive 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just don't see how anyone watched that Florida game and didn't understand the arrangement. 

giphy.gif

Not saying you aren't right, and I full heartedly agree that Bo should have been pulled, but I'm still not entirely convinced of the motivation behind the decision to leave him in. 

33 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

TJ has been offered any "passes" was when people tried to suggest that Bo was at some massive disadvantage comparatively because he played for Gus, as if Finley was somehow playing for 2019 LSU.

lmao.  LSU's offense was much better than ours.  They were about 35 and we were 75th.  The offense design is drastically better than Gus's.

That was the point.  Not that he played for 2019, somehow.  C'mon.

35 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

It's even the same people. 

Who are these same people?

• Thanks 1

Just now, Barnacle said:

giphy.gif

Not saying you aren't right, and I full heartedly agree that Bo should have been pulled, but I'm still not entirely convinced of the motivation behind the decision to leave him in. 

Should be clear as day

Just now, Barnacle said:

giphy.gif

I'm sure Gus honestly thought it was the right thing to do in much the same way that several here honestly think that Bo hasn't gotten a fair shake from the fan base. 

27 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Bo should have been pulled that game.  Gatewood got a bad warp. I hope he does well at Kentucky, but haven't heard much

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

Who are these same people?

It is a jab at me unfortunately.  Same with his other posts above.  Why he feels the need to be so hateful is beyond me.  I was not being rude to anyone on here.

• Like 1