BO and TJ

aubiefifty

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well he played for the university and he is head coach from a premier school . So there were no resources available ? Really ? Find that hard to believe. It seems like indirectly the blame is being put on the previous coaching staff ( which they do deserve), but with all the premier camps Bo has went to and his dad with their resources is mind boggling he is still struggling with basic mechanics 

If nothing else, he should have been solid in fundamentals. I couldn't get anybody else to talk about it but it is mind boggling that he still had consistency problems such as throwing off his back foot. There's something wrong with this but I'm sure we'll never know the complete story as far as that

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

But one thing we do know, one strength that clearly was dismissed, is experience. Even as a redshirt freshman who didn’t see much time, we have so many guys that say and display the value of that year. Joey was heralded as this unflappable leader in the locker room, but I’ll admit that might not transition to a real game. There’s enough of a picture to at least depict that Joey was a mentally tough guy. What’s the value of that? Is it a worse passer, better athlete? Do you lose to Oregon but win against LSU and Florida? Who knows the end result, but combine one guy being not as mentally shook and the two being at least comparable, I don’t see how you don’t give the other guy a shot 

I absolutely agree with this.

20 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

He's a HS coach.  He's not coaching in college for a reason.  Mechanics from the late 80s early 90s are different than today.  I don't see his dad as being an elite coach

Gus coaching is trash. I'm with you, but you trying to blame literally every problem Bo has on them is sort of wild. QB's are taught the throwing from a strong base in high school. Actually in middle school

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If nothing else, he should have been solid in fundamentals. I couldn't get anybody else to talk about it but it is mind boggling that he still had consistency problems such as throwing off his back foot. There's something wrong with this but I'm sure we'll never know the complete story as far as that

I am just saying. I feel like Most athletes who parents played collegiate or professional sports usually have the fundamentals down and most of that is also due to the fact they are privy to a lot more resources. CBH ain't no fool lol. IMO this was very much calculated to get TJ here and it wasn't solely for competition. 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well he played for the university and he is head coach from a premier school . So there were no resources available ? Really ? Find that hard to believe. It seems like indirectly the blame is being put on the previous coaching staff ( which they do deserve), but with all the premier camps Bo has went to and his dad with their resources is mind boggling he is still struggling with basic mechanics 

Just thinking out loud, but there is a possibility Bo had better mechanics and fundamentals coming into college with his dad by his side.  As you know as a former college track athlete, once a bad habit is adopted, it is incredibly hard to get rid of.  He could have developed these bad habits at Auburn from Gus which might explain his stagnancy/regression into year two.  Same for Stidham and the lack of progression by Marshall.  The previous coaches may have let his mechanics slide.  I could be wrong of course, but just my two cents...  unless you disagree then it is my one cent.  🤣

Bad joke I know.  

• Haha 1

Just now, abw0004 said:

Just thinking out loud, but there is a possibility Bo had better mechanics and fundamentals coming into college with his dad by his side.  As you know as a former college track athlete, once a bad habit is adopted, it is incredibly hard to get rid of.  He could have developed these bad habits at Auburn from Gus which might explain his stagnancy/regression into year two.  Same for Stidham and the lack of progression by Marshall.  The previous coaches may have let his mechanics slide.  I could be wrong of course, but just my two cents...  unless you disagree then it is my one cent.  🤣

Bad joke I know.  

That is definitely a possibility although I will say both NM and JS have very little true QB coaching. We know how simplified Baylor offense was and NM pretty much just did whatever he wanted at Garden CC (What up last chance U)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

That is fair.  I suppose how I see it is I don't know how Bo could have improved his mechanics under the previous coaching staff.  This is all my opinion of course and I am a noted supporter of Bo so I do have those tinted glasses on.  I will respect the winner of the QB race this Fall though.  I respect the system.

Probably a good thing none of us posters will have any impact on this decision.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Bo is the new Gus. 

Bo might be the new Chizik the way this is going.  Goodness.  If we rate SEC QBs where does Bo land?

1)JT McDaniel 2) Matt Corral?  3)Bo? 4)Myles Brennan or Johnson at LSU?  I'll believe Emory Jones, Bryce Young, and the Texas A&M guy when they play a full game against 1st team talent.  

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't give a damn where played

High school doesn't matter. It's a different level at college. He clearly got away with stuff in HS his dad let him do and Gus never fixed

So Gus is a good QB coach bc he coached here, at an elite school, and won a Natty? 

There is a lot of fault on Bo. In a thread where Gus is being s*** on, rightfully so, we some how also can blame him for not developing a QB? 

Edited by W.E.D

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is definitely a possibility although I will say both NM and JS have very little true QB coaching. We know how simplified Baylor offense was and NM pretty much just did whatever he wanted at Garden CC (What up last chance U)

Very true.  I don’t know if this matters either, but TJ’s father was his QB coach and pitching coach in baseball.

• Like 1

I'm not a coach, but I hooped my entire life. You know one thing my son will be able to do? Dribble. That's just regular. If he has interest in really playing.not only will he be able to dribble decent he'll have a cross over behind the back left hand all of that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Gus coaching is trash. I'm with you, but you trying to blame literally every problem Bo has on them is sort of wild. QB's are taught the throwing from a strong base in high school. Actually in middle school

I'm not blaming "every problem" on Gus but he shares a brunt of them. Why is a player held accountable to something a coach doesn't teach or enforce? 

Bo has a lot of issues. Awful coaching hasn't helped any of them 

11 minutes ago, DAG said:

I am just saying. I feel like Most athletes who parents played collegiate or professional sports usually have the fundamentals down and most of that is also due to the fact they are privy to a lot more resources. CBH ain't no fool lol. IMO this was very much calculated to get TJ here and it wasn't solely for competition. 

I mean he looks better than probably 90% of people that played HS QB. He has some good habits, just setting his feet wasn't one of them 

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

There is a lot of fault on Bo. In a thread where Gus is being s*** on, rightfully so, we some how also can blame him for not developing a QB? 

are you okay? 

14 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not blaming "every problem" on Gus but he shares a brunt of them. Why is a player held accountable to something a coach doesn't teach or enforce? 

Because you're trying toargue a concept but can't see the individual situation. Do you know how early you are taught setting your feet? If you were arguing reading advanced combo defenses then you would have a point but right now you're arguing a college wr who's dad was a good college wr not being able to catch because of his college coach and him not improving was because he needed a college coach to tell him to look the ball in instead of a high school coach that will tell him the same exact thing

1 minute ago, DAG said:

are you okay? 

Bad typing/autocorrect... 

There is a lot of fault on Bo. In a thread where Gus is being s*** on, rightfully so, some how we don't blame him for not developing a QB? 

21 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Bo might be the new Chizik the way this is going.  Goodness.  If we rate SEC QBs where does Bo land?

1)JT McDaniel 2) Matt Corral?  3)Bo? 4)Myles Brennan or Johnson at LSU?  I'll believe Emory Jones, Bryce Young, and the Texas A&M guy when they play a full game against 1st team talent.  

I have no idea where he ranks but I wouldn't be too excited about him ranking highly in the SEC when he will have a lot more experience than most of the other guys.

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So Gus is a good QB coach bc he coached here, at an elite school, and won a Natty? 

Back to making assumptions again are we? That wasn't what was communicated. My point was he has had a myriad of coaches including those at premier camps and he is still struggling with the basic fundamentals. Eventually it isn't everyone else.

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Ok which problem did you say he had that you said was on him? The only problems I've seen brought up is his mechanics, pocket presence, and accuracy. I've seen you blame Gus for all those things as well as his stats. 

Just now, cole256 said:

Because you're trying toargue a concept but can't see the individual situation. Do you know how early you are taught setting your feet? If you were arguing reading advanced combo defenses then you would have a point but right now you're arguing a college wr who's dad was a good college wr not being able to catch because of his college coach and him not improving was because he needed a college coach to tell him to look the ball in instead of a high school coach that will tell him the same exact thing

This doesn't make sense. 

So ever HS QB has perfect fundamentals bv in 6th grade some meat head PE teacher told em. Cmon. He has bad habits but he's not void of any fundamentals

He hasn't improved bc he hasn't been taught anything. You practice how you play. 

Since spring game doesn't count. We'll have to wait to see if he's changed this fall under real coaching. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Back to making assumptions again are we? That wasn't what was communicated. My point was he has had a myriad of coaches including those at premier camps and he is still struggling with the basic fundamentals. Eventually it isn't everyone else.

It's the same logic. Pat must be good bc he coached in college and in HS at a big program. 

Nix pathnis almost reverse of Gus. Only good bc elite talents in college (cam/nick, Megatron). Coached at HS programs. 

To. Me that resume doesn't make you a great QB developer. 

Camps are 3 days. They can help but when you have 25 practices before a season and 6 intra week, and the coach isn't doing anything to correct ro stop back habits, they aren't going to fix themselves from a 3 day camp over the summer. 

He's either going to fix his habits or he'll get benched. I think there's a chance he improves with good coaching. If he doesn't Hopefully TJ can make good decisions and know the play book

3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This doesn't make sense. 

So ever HS QB has perfect fundamentals bv in 6th grade some meat head PE teacher told em. Cmon. He has bad habits but he's not void of any fundamentals

He hasn't improved bc he hasn't been taught anything. You practice how you play. 

Since spring game doesn't count. We'll have to wait to see if he's changed this fall under real coaching. 

It doesn't make sense? Just say you can't understand it. It makes perfect sense. You must not have played before but yes I'm saying if you've been playing since you were 11 you should have mastered the basic things by time you're 21. 

You're right though, you just don't understand

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Ok which problem did you say he had that you said was on him? The only problems I've seen brought up is his mechanics, pocket presence, and accuracy. I've seen you blame Gus for all those things as well as his stats. 

His mechanics are also on him, but coaching shares some responsibility too.

Bo was bad the last two years. I've seen him throw well when. He sets his feet. I've seen him stand in the pocket and deliver. 

Biggest issue is it hasn't been consistent. Players do actually get better after their Tr Soph year. Writing off a player after year two is kinda silly, but I respect you grudge 

Just now, cole256 said:

It doesn't make sense? Just say you can't understand it. It makes perfect sense. You must not have played before but yes I'm saying if you've been playing since you were 11 you should have mastered the basic things by time you're 21. 

You're right though, you just don't understand

Cmon. So no player gets better past 20? Players don't develop as a Jr or Sr and players font develop in thr NFL either. 

You're posting from a position of anger bc you wanted Gatewood (so did I).