BO and TJ

aubiefifty

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

It's the same logic. Pat must be good bc he coached in college and in HS at a big program. 

Nix pathnis almost reverse of Gus. Only good bc elite talents in college (cam/nick, Megatron). Coached at HS programs. 

To. Me that resume doesn't make you a great QB developer. 

Camps are 3 days. They can help but when you have 25 practices before a season and 6 intra week, and the coach isn't doing anything to correct ro stop back habits, they aren't going to fix themselves from a 3 day camp over the summer. 

He's either going to fix his habits or he'll get benched. I think there's a chance he improves with good coaching. If he doesn't Hopefully TJ can make good decisions and know the play book

Never said that. Again major assumptions. I said his dad has had experience playing at the collegiate level. He also coached at the collegiate level, so he has resources. It doesn't have to be his dad, but surely there should be some sort of QB coach or expert readily available, which a lot of athletes do not have at their disposal.  So the idea that "he hasn't improved because because he hasn't been taught anything" sounds like an extreme. I mean he trained with likes of Jordan Palmer. Are you really saying he hasn't been taught anything?

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Cmon. So no player gets better past 20? Players don't develop as a Jr or Sr and players font develop in thr NFL either. 

You're posting from a position of anger bc you wanted Gatewood (so did I). 

Now you're being stupid because you can't bring any logic to the convo. You went to trying to misquote and then to just completely lying. I'm the only person stating facts you're just talking bull

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I said his dad has had experience playing at the collegiate level

1990 is an insanely different world than today. 

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

He also coached at the collegiate level,

Had 1 year as play caller with an elite talent the got fired after 2 awful season on his own at Miami, couldn't get a P5 job and eventually back in HS. 

Gus has better credentials and we can agree he isn't a good coach/QB developer. That the comparison. Resume doesn't mean much when you haven't developed anyone. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

It doesn't have to be his dad, but surely there should be some sort of QB coach or expert readily available, which a lot of athletes do not have at their disposal

He's had coaching on the side, but a week of thst isn't going to stick vs 15 spring practices, 25 fall, and 5 before each game. 

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

So the idea that "he hasn't improved because because he hasn't been taught anything" sounds like an extreme. I mean he trained with likes of Jordan Palmer. Are you really saying he hasn't been taught anything?

This goes to my point above. Side sessions aren't going to fix anything when it isn't reinforced during the time in practice that is 90% of it. 

My point above, I think he's gone through the most intense QB coaching for a long period of time this past spring. He'll have another 25 in August. I think players can improve with good coaching and especially scheme. at times he's shown good mechanics. He look better in a game that doesn't matter. Will it hold over the the fall? We'll see. 

If it doesn't, you'll be right and TJ will be the starter Game 1

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Now you're being stupid because you can't bring any logic to the convo. You went to trying to misquote and then to just completely lying. I'm the only person stating facts you're just talking bull

No one has misquoted you. You said by 21 he shouldn't need to learn anything else on fundamentals. He should have mastered them. That's absurd.

Kids get better. Many get better as upper classmen. 

Look at Buffalo's QB. Terrible mechanics, never completed over 57% in college. He was elite last year after more coacoand improving. 

Bo throws off his back foot, not bc of fundamentals, be he's not used to being in the pocket. That can be taught. He doesn't have perfect pocket awareness now, but that is something he can get better at

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

No one has misquoted you. You said by 21 he shouldn't need to learn anything else on fundamentals. He should have mastered them. That's absurd.

Kids get better. Many get better as upper classmen. 

Look at Buffalo's QB. Terrible mechanics, never completed over 57% in college. He was elite last year after more coacoand improving. 

Bo throws off his back foot, not bc of fundamentals, be he's not used to being in the pocket. That can be taught. He doesn't have perfect pocket awareness now, but that is something he can get better at

I'm done talking to you about stuff you clearly don't know. Yes if you started at 11 in ten years you should master the things taught at ten. Saying you should have mastered the small things isn't me saying they don't improve. But clearly you don't know what the hell  you are talking about. The fact that you say it's absurd tells it all. 

As an athlete you stack things on top of things that's how you improve. You are a moron if you he's still working on the basic stuff he was taught at ten. By now it's a habit and he don't do kid mistakes off instinct. As a matter of fact by instinctnow he can be in a full sprint and stop on a dime line himself up and throw downfield in a second. 

And to say Bo throws off his back leg not because of fundamentals is completely idiotic. Instead of arguing stupid things just say you don't know. What do you think is the first thing is taught when a kid is QB? 

Why do you think he throws off his back leg? What part of awareness is that? 

This is a dumb ass argument to even be had. I'm getting more upset the more I type

Do you know how stupid it is to say it's a different era of football? How stupid are we trying to make this forum? We're talking kid stuff like keep two hands on the ball......couldn't teach that in the 90's.....😮

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

I'm done talking to you about stuff you clearly don't know. Yes if you started at 11 in ten years you should master the things taught at ten. Saying you should have mastered the small things isn't me saying they don't improve. But clearly you don't know what the hell  you are talking about. The fact that you say it's absurd tells it all. 

As an athlete you stack things on top of things that's how you improve. You are a moron if you he's still working on the basic stuff he was taught at ten. By now it's a habit and he don't do kid mistakes off instinct. As a matter of fact by instinctnow he can be in a full sprint and stop on a dime line himself up and throw downfield in a second. 

And to say Bo throws off his back leg not because of fundamentals is completely idiotic. Instead of arguing stupid things just say you don't know. What do you think is the first thing is taught when a kid is QB? 

This is a dumb ass argument to even be had. I'm getting more upset the more I type

You hide it well.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

You hide it well.

You take the time to explain something, posts the facts logic all of that and basically get a no you just say that because you don't like Bo......

So lame

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Bo might be the new Chizik the way this is going.  Goodness.  If we rate SEC QBs where does Bo land?

1)JT McDaniel 2) Matt Corral?  3)Bo? 4)Myles Brennan or Johnson at LSU?  I'll believe Emory Jones, Bryce Young, and the Texas A&M guy when they play a full game against 1st team talent.  

I’d take Brennan over Bo, dude has it fairly easy with LSU’s receivers but their OL was significantly worse than ours and he was still slinging it

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

Kinda relevant to the topic...Malik Willis makes his debut on Matt Miller's Twitter, and surely that means it's followed by a zinger on Malzahn's evaluation lmao.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, auburnphan said:

Sean was equally athletic, and played with a similar style.  Sean 6 foot, Bo 6’1” nice try. [Bolding added.] They both have the same will to win and compete, which compensates for their main weaknesses.  Sean’s was arm strength and Bo has average arm strength as he floats almost all of his deep balls.  Bo has several from inaccuracy, forgets his fundamentals when he plays live football and has legit fear in the pocket and no poise.  Seems to be afraid to take a hit in the pocket but will lower his shoulder running the ball, just weird.  Sean would take or give a hit, no hesitation.   I hope Bo could be Sean on the field this year, we would be a much better team for it.

I was going by the listed metrics from the Auburn Football Roster:
- Sean White: 6' 190 lbs (https://auburntigers.com/sports/football/roster/2016)
- Bo Nix: 6'3" 214 lbs (https://auburntigers.com/sports/football/roster)

I'm a fan of Sean, and would have loved to see what he could do under, for instance, the current coaches. 

I see now that part of what you're saying relates to their intangibles, "will to win", etc. I think that's a good point.

I still don't think their physical skills (i.e. accuracy, arm strength, athleticism) are similar, but we can agree to disagree.

• Like 1

We really did have MW, Bo and JG in the QB room at one time ..wow. But to be fair, MW had a year  to sit before he really played for liberty to learn and grow. Hugh Freeze is a wonderlic and why I obviously been a fan of his. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Do you know how stupid it is to say it's a different era of football? How stupid are we trying to make this forum? We're talking kid stuff like keep two hands on the ball......couldn't teach that in the 90's.....😮

Yeah Lmao we've got guys being elite in 92 with 2500 yards. It's totally not a different era. 

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

He throws off his back leg bc he's back up in the pocket. He doesn't and hasn't done it whriyhr pocket is clean. He stays in and strides and makes a good pass. 

Lot's of times he's throw off his back foot when he doesn't anticipate the rush well, move in the pocket, and find the right space to make a throw that's not fundamentals. 

You talking fundamentals like him throwing off his back foot is 6th grade teaching is dumb. Sorry it is. Everyone had a plan until they get punched in the mouth. Same thing here. He has fundamentalsn when he's not under pressure. He needs to have pocket awareness, not immediately bail out, step up in the pocket when there is pressure. 

You don't have pressure like he's has now in 6th grad fundamentals 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm getting more upset the more I type

Yes you're clearly triggered 

15 minutes ago, DAG said:

We really did have MW, Bo and JG in the QB room at one time ..wow. But to be fair, MW had a year  to sit before he really played for liberty to learn and grow. Hugh Freeze is a wonderlic and why I obviously been a fan of his. 

Outside of liking hookers and cheating at a level unseen in recent times, Hugh is an elite coach. 

I would have been fine with the hire and the media attack after. 

Hopefully with Harsin we don't lose guys with obvious talent bc the HC is a dumbass. 

Edited by W.E.D

Highlight are easy. If we got a most consistent version of this we'd all be happy 

But hE oNlY tHrOwS OFf HiS bAcK fOoT 

Likewise if we got all the good without the picks from Tj we'd be happy too

Edited by W.E.D

7 hours ago, DAG said:

Just to tag on: I know we have been critical of Gus, but in fairness to Malzahn, he was only one of two coaches to offer him a D1 scholarship out of high school and the only one to offer him as a QB.

Edited by abw0004
  • Like 2

The biggest obstacle with Bo is that in practice and back in 7 v 7 days he is fundamentally sound and much more accurate.  

I honestly don’t think this is from a lack of working on fundamentals.  It is either a trust issue or a total lack of awareness when it comes from playing in the pocket.  I think he processes things quickly, but his go to when he senses pressure is to revert to backyard football which comes with its pluses and minuses.  Not sure how you fix this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Just to tag on: I know we have been critical of Gus, but in fairness to Malzahn, he was only one of two coaches to offer him a D1 scholarship out of high school and the only one to offer him as a QB.

Simply not true. He had offers from Navy, Air Force, Ball State, Southern Miss, Ohio, Tulane, Troy and South Alabama and more before he committed to Virginia Tech in June of 16.   
He transferred to Roswell and had a huge senior season.  Rhett offered him on the 29 of December and he committed the 30th and enrolled two weeks later.   

For context, Gus signed one QB a year and always carried four scholarship qbs up to this point.  Stidham committed in December, White, Queen and Barrett were all on roster.  All underclassman.  

Let’s not make Gus out to be some visionary here, it is not the case.  However, one thing I think Gus did do well is he was able to sign guys because he would let them play the position they wanted and not necessarily what was best for their future or for the team. It was how he won numerous recruiting battles or flipped players.

• Thanks 1