Transfer QB TJ Finley

Zeek

Now that he's committed I figured I'd share this post with the regular football forum since some never venture to the Recruiting section.

Let the QB controversy begin 

Edited by Zeek
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Zeek changed the title to Transfer QB TJ Finley

6 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Love, love, love the competition. May the best man win.

Having 4 years of eligibility is the biggest selling point to me here. He's 6'6" with a good build.

Not mobile necessarily but moves in the pocket really well. Throws a beautiful ball just needs some more football IQ and take care of the football.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Having 4 years of eligibility is the biggest selling point to me here. He's 6'6" with a good build.

Not mobile necessarily but moves in the pocket really well. Throws a beautiful ball just needs some more football IQ and take care of the football.

He actually has 5 if covid is a dead year.  I doubt he'd stay 5

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

He actually has 5 if covid is a dead year.  I doubt he'd stay 5

Yeah 5 with a redshirt year which I doubt we see. We'll see how the QB competition goes. If he loses out to Bo I think he stays still but if he loses out once Bo is gone he'll likely bounce. 

Dematrius is damn good and Geriner (2022) coming in is really turning some heads.

Just for a history lesson on TJ Finley, anyone know why he was a 3* recruit coming out of HS?

To not even be 4* puzzles me. Wondered what type of coach and offense he played in at HS.

p.s. I do think now that Finley is here, if he ends up starting out as Bo's backup, then Davis is definitely going to want to transfer, whether it be in the fall, or right after the season ends. He can be a quality starter somewhere I am sure...

• Facepalm 1

37 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Just for a history lesson on TJ Finley, anyone know why he was a 3* recruit coming out of HS?

To not even be 4* puzzles me. Wondered what type of coach and offense he played in at HS.

p.s. I do think now that Finley is here, if he ends up starting out as Bo's backup, then Davis is definitely going to want to transfer, whether it be in the fall, or right after the season ends. He can be a quality starter somewhere I am sure...

The goal is to keep kids for longer and build a deep QB room. Transfers are so hard to predict. Our rivals don't have kids bailing due to competition that routinely.

Regarding the first question, here is what 247 said about him coming out of high school "Winds up a bit and can improve release quickness. Footwork needs to tighten and become more consistent. Shows promise throwing on the move, but not a big-play running threat mobility-wise. Big-framed, big-armed pro-style QB with raw tools and high ceiling."

46 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The goal is to keep kids for longer and build a deep QB room. Transfers are so hard to predict. Our rivals don't have kids bailing due to competition that routinely.

Regarding the first question, here is what 247 said about him coming out of high school "Winds up a bit and can improve release quickness. Footwork needs to tighten and become more consistent. Shows promise throwing on the move, but not a big-play running threat mobility-wise. Big-framed, big-armed pro-style QB with raw tools and high ceiling."

Only part I needed was “high ceiling “!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Davis to UCF clock starts now...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 1

Has a cannon of an arm and looks nice in the pocket. I hope we light it up on the recruiting trail for OL. Very excited to have a big arm for this new offense. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

God don't let Gus get and ruin that kid.

• Like 4

Seems like this fits this discussion 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Love this development for AU football.  In my opinion, Bo Nix is not the QB we need.  He loves Auburn, and has been good at times and serviceable overall, but this new guy seems so promising.  I hope he dominates the competition and wins the starting job.  Just my thoughts and opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Seems like this fits this discussion 

Honeymoon over 

• Like 3

Finley has a lot of potential. In the long term, the last thing Auburn wants to do is put too much on him too early and ruin him. He has a lot of eligibility so there is plenty of time. If he learns the complete offense and gets in some solid playing time in '21, he should be able to make a big push to be the starter in '22. Anything more than that will be icing on the cake.

• Like 1

I don't know why you guys are assuming Dematrius transfers if Finley is #2 this season. Finley has starting experience in the SEC. Davis is fresh off an admittedly very impressive high school career. It kinda makes sense for DD to redshirt and Finley to act as the backup (presuming he doesn't beat out Bo to begin with, which is possible, but I don't see as likely), and then when Bo graduates, Finley, Davis, and Geriner compete for the starting position.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I just don't see a kid who signed with Auburn in the early period, after we'd fired Malzahn and before we'd hired Harsin, as leaving before he gets a legitimate crack at the starting position, which he didn't really get in the spring because he was adjusting to college. If he doesn't win the job in 2023, then I could see him leaving pretty easily, but not this quickly.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

I don't know why you guys are assuming Dematrius transfers if Finley is #2 this season. Finley has starting experience in the SEC. Davis is fresh off an admittedly very impressive high school career. It kinda makes sense for DD to redshirt and Finley to act as the backup (presuming he doesn't beat out Bo to begin with, which is possible, but I don't see as likely), and then when Bo graduates, Finley, Davis, and Geriner compete for the starting position.

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I just don't see a kid who signed with Auburn in the early period, after we'd fired Malzahn and before we'd hired Harsin, as leaving before he gets a legitimate crack at the starting position, which he didn't really get in the spring because he was adjusting to college. If he doesn't win the job in 2023, then I could see him leaving pretty easily, but not this quickly.

I highly doubt it too especially with the coaching staff preaching high level competition at all positions . It would seem he has bought in  

13 hours ago, Zeek said:

LSU is a rival and guess what? 😉

12 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I hope that doesn't happen soon nor ever. Because nothing is never over until it plays out on the field.

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I prefer this scenario.

9 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Finley has a lot of potential. In the long term, the last thing Auburn wants to do is put too much on him too early and ruin him.

Agree with this.  There are very few QBs that are ready to start in the SEC as a True Fr/Soph.  We've seen enough kids wash out starting too early.  I'd love nothing more to get a pipeline going of upper classman QBs being replaced by a rising upper class QB.  It's a little harder these days with kids transferring, but I feel like having kids being RS Sophs starting with 2 years in a system shouldn't be too difficult

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Agree with this.  There are very few QBs that are ready to start in the SEC as a True Fr/Soph.  We've seen enough kids wash out starting too early.  I'd love nothing more to get a pipeline going of upper classman QBs being replaced by a rising upper class QB.  It's a little harder these days with kids transferring, but I feel like having kids being RS Sophs starting with 2 years in a system shouldn't be too difficult

I feel fairly confident that CBH wants to get there, too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rednilla said:

It'll be interesting for sure but I really hope Dematrius ends up being a multi-year starter for us. I really like his tape and potential.

• Like 1