2022 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

2 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Not suggesting he is necessarily the answer at center, but what’s going on with Akingbola. Is he redshirting this year?

Yes. We should expect him and C Mo to transfer out and free up 2 more spots.

6 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

Not suggesting he is necessarily the answer at center, but what’s going on with Akingbola. Is he redshirting this year?

My interpretation has been that he’s just not a guy on this level. It’s not a redshirt thing, he’s appeared in a few moments with the walk on crew. There also just isn’t any minutes to give him, DC doesn’t play that many and he’s an excellent backup. Jaylin is going to be the backup 5 for smaller guys

I personally don’t think he’s “elite SEC team” level center; he’s not a great rebounder, he’s not a great floor runner, he wasn’t a great pick and roll threat as I recall, and while he is a solid rim protector and a good defender against post bigs, he’s pretty floor bound, so he’d be pretty food in pick and rolls matched against quicker guards. 

That being said, I feel like there’s some matchups he can still be a useful hand in. Like Purdue has a 7’4 Zach Edey who plays very much like an old style center and doesn’t do much in the way of jumping or running. He’s probably putting an elbow in both Cardwell and Kessler’s chest and getting what he wants. Maybe that’s the Stretch matchup that makes his career 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

My interpretation has been that he’s just not a guy on this level. It’s not a redshirt thing, he’s appeared in a few moments with the walk on crew. There also just isn’t any minutes to give him, DC doesn’t play that many and he’s an excellent backup. Jaylin is going to be the backup 5 for smaller guys

I personally don’t think he’s “elite SEC team” level center; he’s not a great rebounder, he’s not a great floor runner, he wasn’t a great pick and roll threat as I recall, and while he is a solid rim protector and a good defender against post bigs, he’s pretty floor bound, so he’d be pretty food in pick and rolls matched against quicker guards. 

That being said, I feel like there’s some matchups he can still be a useful hand in. Like Purdue has a 7’4 Zach Edey who plays very much like an old style center and doesn’t do much in the way of jumping or running. He’s probably putting an elbow in both Cardwell and Kessler’s chest and getting what he wants. Maybe that’s the Stretch matchup that makes his career 

I realize he isn’t going to take minutes from Kessler and Cardwell but was just wondering if he might be able to be a backup next year

1 minute ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I realize he isn’t going to take minutes from Kessler and Cardwell but was just wondering if he might be able to be a backup next year

Bruce will get some really good bigs in the portal for next season. Stretch isn't a rotation player at this level and cardwell and j will are better suited as bench guys.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jgarrett7 said:

In so many words, my post was saying no, he wouldn’t be lol 

18 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bruce will get some really good bigs in the portal for next season. Stretch isn't a rotation player at this level and cardwell and j will are better suited as bench guys.

It's better for us if they are bench guys, sure, because that means we've got quality players coming off the bench, but I maintain my belief that there aren't more than 10-15 4s in the country who are better than Jaylin Williams. He just happens to play with one of them. I would be flat out shocked if he isn't starting next season, regardless of whom Bruce brings in.

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 11:57 PM, GwillMac6 said:

Yes. We should expect him and C Mo to transfer out and free up 2 more spots.

What makes you say that? I mean, just a gut feeling, or do you know something we don't?

17 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

What makes you say that? I mean, just a gut feeling, or do you know something we don't?

Muhhhhhhhhhhh bad. Sorry to present that as facts and not a opinion but yes just a feeling. Stretch redshirting is a dead giveaway to me. He wants to protect a year of his eligibility that otherwise would of been wasted as he is the third string center and would only get any PT with the walk on's.

Does anyone thinks Kessler returns next season? Or is he gone for sure? We will have to hit the portal for a PF for sure, but may also need a C. I would think Flanagan will return. I think his stock has dropped. 

It's going to be interesting to see if NIL impacts players leaving early.  Obviously, colleges can't compete with NBA money, but I can see 19 year old kids deciding to stay an extra year more often because they are having fun and have enough money to live well as a college student. Let's hope it applies to Kessler. Little less likely with Jabari as a potential number 1 pick. Hard to improve on that.

1 hour ago, Tiger720 said:

Does anyone thinks Kessler returns next season? Or is he gone for sure? We will have to hit the portal for a PF for sure, but may also need a C. I would think Flanagan will return. I think his stock has dropped. 

Def gone. Will absolutely be needs a new starting front court. He's now showing up on almost every mock in the low teens. Eventually he will settle in at the lottery and I think that is where he will get drafted.

2 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

Last mock draft I saw he was up to pick 18 to the Spurs. That’s a definite need to go position. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cardin Drake said:

It's going to be interesting to see if NIL impacts players leaving early.  Obviously, colleges can't compete with NBA money, but I can see 19 year old kids deciding to stay an extra year more often because they are having fun and have enough money to live well as a college student. Let's hope it applies to Kessler. Little less likely with Jabari as a potential number 1 pick. Hard to improve on that.

It's going to help you really with those end of first round/early second round guys that need money. E.G. JT Thor. It helps you get a JT Thor back, and it unfortunately came a season after we needed it. At least that lets you know we recruit cleanly I guess 

13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It's going to help you really with those end of first round/early second round guys that need money. E.G. JT Thor. It helps you get a JT Thor back, and it unfortunately came a season after we needed it. At least that lets you know we recruit cleanly I guess 

I think Thor made a mistake by turning pro after only one year of college ball.  Kinda like Ennis Whately from Alabama years ago.  Thor is averaging only 2.8 PPG and 1.6 RPG, and was recently sent down to the G League (although he was recalled to the NBA afterward).

Maybe he needed the money, I don't know.  But I think he came out too early.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaxCohen216 said:

I think Thor made a mistake by turning pro after only one year of college ball.  Kinda like Ennis Whately from Alabama years ago.  Thor is averaging only 2.8 PPG and 1.6 RPG, and was recently sent down to the G League (although he was recalled to the NBA afterward).

Maybe he needed the money, I don't know.  But I think he came out too early.

I can’t really ever say a guy made a mistake if he needs money. It sounded like they needed it pretty bad at the time, and I’m sure Pearl pored over every decision possible. Would he have been able to get more money later down the road? Maybe, probably, but you can’t let your family starve until that possibility comes. I just hope he’s able to keep improving on that level and find his slant

He also was playing like one  of the better GLeague players and had a good nba stretch when Hornets were riddled with COVID protocol cases. That’s a very deep young team with multiple forwards that fit his skillet + have NBA experience. Just gotta bide your time 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2021 at 10:34 PM, TexasTiger said:

Shocked our recruiting isn’t looking better than it is. Hope we get some big time transfers.

SIAP but the plan always was to have a 2-3 class from high school & any open spots filled in the portal. That's still the plan. Recruiting is still looking good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 12/30/2021 at 10:35 AM, Dunndone414 said:

Anyone have insight as to why the long-standing Atlanta pipeline seems to have dried up?  

Not dried up by any means. Not going to get them every year plus AU had a slow start with NLI.

On 1/24/2022 at 8:04 PM, Beaker said:

how does Duke have 4 of the top 10 kids committed and I have to scroll way way down to find our only good looking commit (no offense Tre D)? 

@BeakerBruce doesn't care about rankings & has Tre D as a top PG on his board. Westry was our #2 Wing prospect only behind Smith who chose home state Arky over us. Also we were always going to sign a smal 2-3 high school player class.

Surely we can attract someone besides a PG who wants to run and gun and block shots right?

I'm sure we could but Bruce wanted him more than nearly if not all other PGs & he evals talent a lot better than any of us.

I think our top two commits are both PGs and I am worried about replacing 14 feet of offensive mayhem who bring a block party to every game. 

Westry is a 2/3 wing, not a PG.

Are we hoping for transfers to replace Kessler and Smith?  

For at least 1 of them yes. If we miss on 5* Big Yohan Traore then both will be transfers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

On 2/24/2022 at 9:14 PM, Jgarrett7 said:

Been passed by Kess & Cardwell.

On 2/26/2022 at 12:52 AM, Rednilla said:

Scuttlebutt right now. Bruce is expected to replaced Bari & Kess with 2 transfers or a transfer & Traore than to rely on Stretch to improve quite a bit. C-Mo can't get much PT behind 2 underwheliming 3s right now in Flan & Devan so it would be logical to think he may transfer.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ellitor said:

Westry is a 2/3 wing, not a PG.

He does have some good PG instincts, I wouldn’t be shocked to see him running some of that in spots. Gonna be hard because of seniority purposes, but it’ll be nice to have that in case of emergency 

And I can’t believe guys are doubting Pearl’s eye for talent at this point. Tyrell Jones is literally the only miss from the last half decade I can think of and that was out of necessity 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

this isn’t CFB where being hot for 5 years can automatically get you into the top tier in recruits minds. We still trying to combat the image we’re little bro for folks (parents) who were Alabama basketball fans 20 years ago 

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, AUreo said:

Need to get him on Campus and talk with Jabari about how Bruce's development is one of the reasons he will be near the top of the draft.