2022 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

30 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Keyontae is an untouchable for any college I would imagine. Don’t think Baldwin is returning either like you said 

Agreed. What are your thoughts on Emoni Bates if we don't get Phillips? 

There is also Bryan Antoine, a former 5 star from Villanova, but I don't know much about him in terms of being a good fit. https://247sports.com/Player/Bryan-Antoine-86994/

There are still some good guys in the portal and  I know this year was a disappointment for Flanagan, but coming back from surgery on a torn Achilles tendon in 3 months is really tough.  It's normally 6- 9 months. But now he's got a whole year to recuperate, and odds are very good that he will return to form and be a solid player in the fall.  If you can get a talent like Phillips, of course you go for it. But IMO we are fine with Flanagan if Phillips goes G league.  For fun here's an interesting name: 4 star Bobi Klintman, SF, just de-committed from Colorado.

Edited by Cardin Drake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HAPvsOA said:

There is also Bryan Antoine, a former 5 star from Villanova, but I don't know much about him in terms of being a good fit. https://247sports.com/Player/Bryan-Antoine-86994/

We are not recruiting Bates. Bates announced his Top6 yesterday - Arkansas, Michigan, Seton Hall, DePaul, Louisville, Eastern Michigan.

Elijah Fisher will most likely commit to Texas Tech soon(ish)… (G league is still a factor though and could slow things down and give us a chance to get back in his recruitment)

I think ellitor is right and we won’t use the last scholly (JMO) unless we somehow land JP, of course.

Interestingly, Arkansas now has 14 scholarship players and they just keep recruiting portal players…

Edited by AUreo

40 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

I really think the evaluation of Emoni is so dependent on who you ask. Looks like KD Jr up until high school. Dad basically starts cherry picking his competition, kid looks pretty meh (at least athletically), but his dad had this guy leave the normal HS circuit at what, 15-16? He’s just behind in physical development honestly 

Theres legitimate scoring talent there, but then he goes to Penny, who isn’t a great developer, to say the least. Guy had him running point lol. He’s pretty much only shown the ability to be an iso scorer to this point, and isn’t an amazing shooter nor stellar slasher. Assuming the weight doesn’t get figured out any time soon, he’s going to need to figure out how to use his length and/or become a real shooter. The way Jabari played last year would honestly be great for him…has good shooting form from what I’ve seen and likes to create space for shooting vs to slash.

I’d be perfectly fine with having him, I don’t think he’s a selfish player in nature and a coach that would demand more buy-in from him defensively would do wonders for him. Plus, BP has done a good job of strengthening guys historically speaking. With the necessity for perimeter players to hit tough shots in this freelance offense, I really wouldn’t be mad at having him. It’s just important we have complete buy-in from him and his team 

28 minutes ago, AUreo said:

We are not recruiting Bates. Bates announced his Top6 yesterday - Arkansas, Michigan, Seton Hall, DePaul, Louisville, Eastern Michigan.

Elijah Fisher will most likely commit to Texas Tech soon…

I think ellitor is right and we won’t use the last scholly (JMO) unless we somehow land JP, of course.

Interestingly, Arkansas now has 14 scholarship players and they just keep recruiting portal players…

I would think Michigan but man Arkansas is going to be frightening if they get him 

58 minutes ago, AUreo said:

With NIL, I wonder how long scholarship limits even matter. If your NIL deal is ten or 20 times larger than your scholarship, does it even matter if you are a walk-on?

1 hour ago, HAPvsOA said:

He's into his finalists & we haven't communicated much with him. Probably to late to be a factor there.

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

and odds are very good that he will return to form and be a solid player in the fall.

Not sure about that. He was good physically the last part of the year. His mental state is what caused him truly to struggle. Never know when a player will recover from mental issues. Definitely hopeful he gets back to 2020 form minus the TOs but the odds of him returning to form are anything but very good. At best they are up in the air.

1 hour ago, Cardin Drake said:

we are fine with Flanagan if Phillips goes G league

Not even sure Bruce can make this statement.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I would think Michigan but man Arkansas is going to be frightening if they get him 

Emoni Bates cb’d to Louisville now.
BHH + Bates at Louisville? This should be entertaining!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUreo said:

great thing about CBB. Regardless of the why, guys'll spread out and avoid the (recent) big dogs. Someone of Arkansas or Michigan's recent stature gets those guys 9 times out of 10 in CFB (I suppose it isnt impossible now either) 

3 hours ago, AUreo said:

That is one thing Kenny Payne can do is recruit. He's elite at that.

• 3 weeks later...

• Like 1

It’s looks like for the 2nd year in a row, we are going to be one piece away from truly contending. I think we’ll have another really good team, but we’re missing a key piece that could make us great.

The lack of outside shooting will plague us again. Tevin Brown was the dream. Mayer would’ve been huge. Elijah Fischer or Julian Phillips would’ve been huge. I think Kerwin Walton would’ve been a great fit. But for whatever reason we just can’t find the final piece to put us over the top.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

It’s looks like for the 2nd year in a row, we are going to be one piece away from truly contending. I think we’ll have another really good team, but we’re missing a key piece that could make us great.

The lack of outside shooting will plague us again. Tevin Brown was the dream. Mayer would’ve been huge. Elijah Fischer or Julian Phillips would’ve been huge. I think Kerwin Walton would’ve been a great fit. But for whatever reason we just can’t find the final piece to put us over the top.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

12 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I think they’re firmly in the tier 2 of contenders right now, but I don’t think it’s THAT dire. Like if they had marginally better (or even comparable) shooting but vastly better play making than last year, I think they’re in a REALLY good spot. 

Although it is similar to last year in that the onus is on our coaches to design a system that isn’t dependent on jump shooting. They have got to figure out a secondary playmaker, and with how many guard bodies we have, that shouldn’t be that difficult if they’re worth the money they’re now being paid. There’s no excuse after an entire offseason if teams are able to just trap our ball handlers off high pick and rolls and we look that inept again

Defenders being unable to help off of good 3 point shooters would be the easiest way to alleviate that concern, but that’s not the only way! 

14 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Man, I didn't know winning the SEC Championship and being #1 in the country wasn't truly contending. Thanks for the information. I'll just be severely disappointed about having one of the best regular seasons in our entire program.

Edited by tgrogan21
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/30/2022 at 9:51 PM, CameronCrazy said:

It's hard to get a sharp-shooting wing interested in competing with what we've already got on the roster for minutes. If Flanigan has gotten his head right then we've got all the pieces we need to make a legit run, IMO. Either Tre steps up early as the tenth man and gives us a few minutes a game, Chris Moore gives some minutes at the 3, or Bruce only plays 9 men in rotation this season. I suspect it will be one of the first two options, however.

But no, if Flanigan can get back to being the guy he was two seasons ago, just while playing a supporting role instead of the lead, then he provides all the threat we need from the starting SF. He shot a respectable percentage from 3 that season, even if he was pretty bad last year.

Seriously though, how is this for splitting the minutes?

PG - Green 28, Westry 12
SG - KD 25, Zep 15
SF - Flanigan 28, Westry 12
PF - Jaylin 20, Traore 20
C - Broome 25, Cardwell 15

A few of the PG minutes could go to Zep if needs be, and Bruce could run Wendell, KD, and Jasper at the same time and have a small lineup in there, but this is a reasonable distribution of minutes without adding anyone to the roster and still leaving the redshirt on Donaldson and not expecting too much out of Chris coming off his injury.

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

Seriously though, how is this for splitting the minutes?

PG - Green 28, Westry 12
SG - KD 25, Zep 15
SF - Flanigan 28, Westry 12
PF - Jaylin 20, Traore 20
C - Broome 25, Cardwell 15

A few of the PG minutes could go to Zep if needs be, and Bruce could run Wendell, KD, and Jasper at the same time and have a small lineup in there, but this is a reasonable distribution of minutes without adding anyone to the roster and still leaving the redshirt on Donaldson and not expecting too much out of Chris coming off his injury.

That looks like a decent estimate and I could easily imagine seeing something like to start the season and SEC play. It provides balance & options for spacing, while keeping the players at their ideal position.

Just a few thoughts that came to mind: 1) as much as I like Green at PG, I'd probably reduce his minutes & play Zep at the point more as you mentioned. Partly because Green needs fresh legs to do his thing and partly bc Zep has so few turnovers at the 1; 2) I am hoping that Moore can work his way into the rotation via 3&D and get 5-10 minutes a night by SEC play; and 3) I'm hoping that BP experiments a lot at the beginning of the year. There are two lineups that I'd love to see in particular for 4-5 minutes at a time. 

Big lineup: 1) Westry, 2) Flanigan, 3) Traore, 4) Jaylin, 5) Broome. Especially against certain teams. Westry & Flan can play make while Broome plays down low and Jaylin and Traore space the floor and fly in for dunks. 

Smother, steal, & run lineup: 1) Zep, 2) KD, 3) Westry, 4) Moore or Flan (whichever is playing better D atm) 5) Traore. I'd hate to play against a lineup like that especially after being gassed in the middle of a half. And perhaps, you put Broome @ the 5 and Traore @ the 4 if they have good bigs. 

Seeing Westry & Traore in both of those lineups highlights their athleticism, versatility and my high expectations. I know Jabari was a unicorn, so perhaps my expectations are a bit high for incoming freshmen. But Okoro, Cooper, and Heron were also immediate gamechangers, so the high expectations are due to Pearl's success as well. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, HAPvsOA said:

That looks like a decent estimate and I could easily imagine seeing something like to start the season and SEC play. It provides balance & options for spacing, while keeping the players at their ideal position.

Just a few thoughts that came to mind: 1) as much as I like Green at PG, I'd probably reduce his minutes & play Zep at the point more as you mentioned. Partly because Green needs fresh legs to do his thing and partly bc Zep has so few turnovers at the 1; 2) I am hoping that Moore can work his way into the rotation via 3&D and get 5-10 minutes a night by SEC play; and 3) I'm hoping that BP experiments a lot at the beginning of the year. There are two lineups that I'd love to see in particular for 4-5 minutes at a time. 

Big lineup: 1) Westry, 2) Flanigan, 3) Traore, 4) Jaylin, 5) Broome. Especially against certain teams. Westry & Flan can play make while Broome plays down low and Jaylin and Traore space the floor and fly in for dunks. 

Smother, steal, & run lineup: 1) Zep, 2) KD, 3) Westry, 4) Moore or Flan (whichever is playing better D atm) 5) Traore. I'd hate to play against a lineup like that especially after being gassed in the middle of a half. And perhaps, you put Broome @ the 5 and Traore @ the 4 if they have good bigs. 

Seeing Westry & Traore in both of those lineups highlights their athleticism, versatility and my high expectations. I know Jabari was a unicorn, so perhaps my expectations are a bit high for incoming freshmen. But Okoro, Cooper, and Heron were also immediate gamechangers, so the high expectations are due to Pearl's success as well. 

I don't remember Heron being much of a gamechanger, but the point is well taken. All of those guys were in the top 40 players in their recruiting class, so it makes sense that they'd be the instant difference makers.

And yeah, both of those lineups have their matchup problems...but I think you're underselling Green as a playmaker, and overselling Jasper. The offense seemed pretty slow with Zep running things; he can handle the ball, but he's not the most creative table setter on the team. There's a reason the analytics were so high on Wendell, and I think he earned the starting spot at point, personally.

At least, to begin the season, anyway. Chance might take the spot away, though. I've gotten higher on him than anyone we've brought in other than Jabari, because I think he's going to be really, really good. There aren't many 6'6 guys with the kind of dribble/drive/pass skills that he has, and I think he should be considered the centerpiece of this recruiting class, regardless of the fact that Traore is rated higher, and this would have been true even if Phillips had chosen Auburn.

So I don't know how Bruce is going to end up putting things together. But regardless, I think we've got a team that's talented enough and balanced enough to be formidable come tournament time.

I’ve said this before I’m sure, but I think there’s value in having Zep out there with the other 4 presumed starters just bc you’re not asking him to do anything with the ball. KD (if he starts)-Flan-Traore-Broome can all do some things with the rock if you throw it to him. 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

balanced enough to be formidable come tournament time.

To me this is the key in tournament games.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’ve said this before I’m sure, but I think there’s value in having Zep out there with the other 4 presumed starters just bc you’re not asking him to do anything with the ball. KD (if he starts)-Flan-Traore-Broome can all do some things with the rock if you throw it to him. 

I would rather Zep be out there as the 2, because he's great in that role. He's a good-not-great 3 point shooter, perfect as a secondary ball handler, and a pest to opposing offenses. I could see the argument for him even starting at the 2 over KD...but I really think we're better offensively with someone else running point.

Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I want to see Chance at point...but whatever the case, it's exciting for Bruce to have so many different guys to run the offense through.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

It's hard to get a sharp-shooting wing interested in competing with what we've already got on the roster for minutes. If Flanigan has gotten his head right then we've got all the pieces we need to make a legit run, IMO. Either Tre steps up early as the tenth man and gives us a few minutes a game, Chris Moore gives some minutes at the 3, or Bruce only plays 9 men in rotation this season. I suspect it will be one of the first two options, however.

But no, if Flanigan can get back to being the guy he was two seasons ago, just while playing a supporting role instead of the lead, then he provides all the threat we need from the starting SF. He shot a respectable percentage from 3 that season, even if he was pretty bad last year.

Point well taken - the SF position killed us last year offensively. If Flanagan can get back to form, then that would be HUGE. I also agree with your split of the minutes. My hope is that Westry will be used as a point forward to get open shots for KD and Wendell. 

• Like 1