2022 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Am I the only one who thinks it sucks that right after we started appearing in the finalists list for top B-ball prospects, Bama also joined the conversation? I realize Oates (Oats?) is the real deal over there, and a part of me does think it's cool that both programs seem to be on a positive projection, but...

As long as they have Pettway as a coach they will always be dang good in recruiting. And Oats has them playing pretty good ball which helps too...

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Am I the only one who thinks it sucks that right after we started appearing in the finalists list for top B-ball prospects, Bama also joined the conversation? I realize Oates (Oats?) is the real deal over there, and a part of me does think it's cool that both programs seem to be on a positive projection, but...

Seemed to me like the whole SEC stepped up there game just as soon Auburn got good. But you know bama is not going to sit around while AU is kicking butt. And plus they get the NCAA help to try and help keep us in check but so far BP will not be denied!

Jarace Walker 

• Like 5

Nick Smith is up to #6 overall in the ESPN rankings. In the Zion thread I predicted he’d pass Zion, but I didn’t think he’d go that high. He says he’s eliminated his pro options (NBL and Overtime) but I wonder if things change if the G League comes calling. 

• Like 1

On 9/1/2021 at 10:14 AM, Dunndone414 said:

Nick Smith is up to #6 overall in the ESPN rankings. In the Zion thread I predicted he’d pass Zion, but I didn’t think he’d go that high. He says he’s eliminated his pro options (NBL and Overtime) but I wonder if things change if the G League comes calling. 

Clearly Bruce saw this happening to not accept Zion commitment yet.  Great eye for talent.  

Would love the full story on this recruitment. Hope we land him. We should take him regardless of whoever else we are targeting and figure out numbers later. We should expect attrition anyway these days. If you’re in the position to land a 5-star guard at Auburn you can’t worry about numbers or other targets, imo. 

On 9/3/2021 at 2:11 PM, Dunndone414 said:

Would love the full story on this recruitment. Hope we land him. We should take him regardless of whoever else we are targeting and figure out numbers later. We should expect attrition anyway these days. If you’re in the position to land a 5-star guard at Auburn you can’t worry about numbers or other targets, imo. 

@Dunndone414 He's not had a great Summer & the way he has been playing doesn't fit with #BruceBall. He's been behind at least 2 other Guards on the staff's board & has been for a long time. His attempted scheduled commitments has been his way of trying to get Bruce to take him but Bruce hasn't bit yet.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:47 PM, AUreo said:

I still hope we can find a way to sign Cruz.

@AUreo We'd have to miss on Smith & another Guard. Staff is only taking 3 high schoolers at this point in the class: a point, a 2 guard, & a big. If there is any other attrition the plan then is to go to the transfer market.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2021 at 10:35 AM, steeleagle said:

As long as they have Pettway as a coach they will always be dang good in recruiting. And Oats has them playing pretty good ball which helps too...

You show me where Al or Oates has ever battled for top players till Bruce began his run here at Auburn.  Truth is AU and Bruce made a commitment to be more than a football school. Bama seen it was either join the race or lose the battle. 
They are $$ money to ensure they can compete. 

29 minutes ago, lost said:

You show me where Al or Oates has ever battled for top players till Bruce began his run here at Auburn.  Truth is AU and Bruce made a commitment to be more than a football school. Bama seen it was either join the race or lose the battle. 
They are $$ money to ensure they can compete. 

MAybe so, but they are now fighting with us on many major players, no matter when they got into the race...

Right

They are full out buying.   They have not the success to point at to attract. Bruce should have a NC probably except not for a freak injury and a missed call. 
So Bama is full court pressing with the $$. LSU and others prove you will not have to worry lest you be caught. Bama can’t afford not to keep up. 

On 8/29/2021 at 1:27 PM, AUreo said:

Looks like Alabama is currently somewhat in the lead…

I could only find this quote on his visit to Auburn back in June (June2021, USA Today):

“I really liked it,” Jarace Walker, a five-star prospect from IMG Academy, said per Auburn Undercover. “I love the town, the campus, the dorms, everything. I am seriously considering Auburn. I like everything about it.”

Walker to take another OV to Auburn October 8th, which will be his 2nd OV. That would be great...

Trying to find confirmation....

Kentucky meanwhile have the top kids in 2022 class lined up .  But the one and done method might get spooked if Cal continues to flounder come tournament time

Bruce is picky about who he takes. It will not always be the 5 star stud. It might be one who fits his system and style of playing. Defense is a huge thing with Pearl

Does the fact that we’ve put the full court press on Rylen Griffen imply we don’t think we land Nick Smith? Either way, I’m happy we are planning for backup options. 

Any other confirmed targets for ‘22 right now other than Smith, Griffen and Walker? 

Edited by Dunndone414

5 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Walker to take another OV to Auburn October 8th, which will be his 2nd OV. That would be great...

Trying to find confirmation....

Travis Branham tweeted it, so that’s confirmed. Walker is also visiting LSU, Alabama, Texas and Houston.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2021 at 9:35 PM, Dunndone414 said:

Does the fact that we’ve put the full court press on Rylen Griffen imply we don’t think we land Nick Smith? Either way, I’m happy we are planning for backup options. 

Any other confirmed targets for ‘22 right now other than Smith, Griffen and Walker? 

Chance Westry is apparently a serious target, he just got a CB to Auburn. Some suggestion he’s actually the reason we are cold on Zion Cruz.