2022 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

2 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Between Clemson and thUGA on the rise and, uat, and the last 5 years of offensive offense.  I can see why kids are going other directions to play O.  

Golf asked.  Did you think you were in the Football forum?   UGA is 5-7 in Basketball and just lost to a team that I don't know what state they are from.   Please explain yourself.

We did lose a couple to the G-League....that's the elephant in the room...you spend years building up relations with these players and then right before you get them to sign, they decide to go to the G-League where they're promised a payout..

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

WTH are you talking about Clem and uga on the rise I do believe you think you're in the football forum

Doh!!

13 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

WTH are you talking about Clem and uga on the rise I do believe you think you're in the football forum

OMG!!!

I wasn't even drinking last night!200w-3.gif.6158af02daedd1fee1d12b1f81fbcdb2.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, augolf1716 said:

Drugs will do that to you hanging around fifty too much

I wish!

Too many people still threaten to evaluate my golden flow.

12 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Golf asked.  Did you think you were in the Football forum?   UGA is 5-7 in Basketball and just lost to a team that I don't know what state they are from.   Please explain yourself.

I’m not reveling too much in UGA’s suffering. Losing Crean means a chance that they hire a competent coach, and they’re sitting on a gold mine of basketball talent. Here’s to a surprising run in conference play and an extension! 😂 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

I’m not reveling too much in UGA’s suffering. Losing Crean means a chance that they hire a competent coach, and they’re sitting on a gold mine of basketball talent. Here’s to a surprising run in conference play and an extension! 😂 

Lol whatever. I'm reveling in every second of it. My enjoyment of it has nothing to do with what thuga ends up doing. I couldn't care less who they hire either - Bruce is better regardless.

Anyone know anything about our status with 5-star center Yohan Traore. Looks like we are competing for his last official visit against UCLA and Texas.

On 1/1/2022 at 12:21 AM, blakem said:

Anyone know anything about our status with 5-star center Yohan Traore. Looks like we are competing for his last official visit against UCLA and Texas.

I would love to know about this as well.  We almost certainly lose Jabari next year.  If we lose Kessler too, Jaylin and DC will be our only real bigs (I'm assuming Stretch is not panning out in D1 fashion at this point).

Additionally, while we bring in Chance Westry, I would love to see us have at least one elite player.  Bruce is a top-flight developer.  However, having an elite talent or two is almost imperative to win championships these days.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

I would love to know about this as well.  We almost certainly lose Jabari next year.  If we lose Kessler too, Jaylin and DC will be our only real bigs (I'm assuming Stretch is not panning out in D1 fashion at this point).

Additionally, while we bring in Chance Westry, I would love to see us have at least one elite player.  Bruce is a top-flight developer.  However, having an elite talent or two is almost imperative to win championships these days.

lmao-crying-laughing.gif

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Adults win in March. The transfer portal is going to be way more of factor in basketball than football because you can turn over your whole roster because of how small of a roster basketball is. Just this past year we added Kessler, KD, Wendell and Zep all of whom have made a impact. The combo of young studs plus veterans is the key to a college basketball teams success.  Getting a big class full of 5 stars is sexier but the way we added to our roster this past year is the way to do it tbh.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Adults win in March. The transfer portal is going to be way more of factor in basketball than football because you can turn over your whole roster because of how small of a roster basketball is. Just this past year we added Kessler, KD, Wendell and Zep all of whom have made a impact. The combo of young studs plus veterans is the key to a college basketball teams success.  Getting a big class full of 5 stars is sexier but the way we added to our roster this past year is the way to do it tbh.

We’ve got to be able to do both. We hit the jackpot last cycle but landing guys like Green and Jasper transferring up from lower level schools may be the norm (no complaints with that) rather than KD and Kessler. We probably aren’t going to have a former top 30 recruit with Auburn ties and a former top 100 recruit that wanted to go to Auburn out of HS in the portal every offseason. 

We also benefit from landing a few multi-year guys (Donaldson is a good example). The all one or two and done model hasn’t been very successful in the tournament. Look at this season’s team, the core of our depth are guys that aren’t necessarily good enough to start on a title contender but willing to play their role without transferring. 

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

We’ve got to be able to do both. We hit the jackpot last cycle but landing guys like Green and Jasper transferring up from lower level schools may be the norm (no complaints with that) rather than KD and Kessler. We probably aren’t going to have a former top 30 recruit with Auburn ties and a former top 100 recruit that wanted to go to Auburn out of HS in the portal every offseason. 

We also benefit from landing a few multi-year guys (Donaldson is a good example). The all one or two and done model hasn’t been very successful in the tournament. Look at this season’s team, the core of our depth are guys that aren’t necessarily good enough to start on a title contender but willing to play their role without transferring. 

And that is exactly what we did. We did both. Bari plus the transfers. And we have Westry a top 25-30 recruit plus Donaldson coming in next season and I imagine we hit the transfer portal hard again this year if we have Kessler and Flanny go to the draft. The transfer portal is the easiest way in basketball to turn over your roster and compete right away or keep competing and not have a drop off.

• Like 1

instead of waiting for the next big thing, let’s celebrate these kids that are already deciding to come! This dude projects as another Scottie Barnes that can do everything for you 1-3 (Barnes has the 4/5 too but he’s just built different). Can’t wait to see the facilitating part of his game blossom 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

And that is exactly what we did. We did both. Bari plus the transfers. And we have Westry a top 25-30 recruit plus Donaldson coming in next season and I imagine we hit the transfer portal hard again this year if we have Kessler and Flanny go to the draft. The transfer portal is the easiest way in basketball to turn over your roster and compete right away or keep competing and not have a drop off.

I thought it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Flanigan would be leaving after this year? Did the injury change that, or was it always somewhat iffy whether Allen left after this year or not? Kessler was the only one of the big three I thought we had much chance to retain, and he's not looking too much to me like a guy who will need another year before going pro if he continues to improve through the rest of the season. (Again, though, I don't have much perspective, considering virtually all of my experience with basketball comes from following Auburn, rather than tracking future NBA players or watching NBA games.)

3 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I thought it was pretty much a foregone conclusion that Flanigan would be leaving after this year? Did the injury change that, or was it always somewhat iffy whether Allen left after this year or not? Kessler was the only one of the big three I thought we had much chance to retain, and he's not looking too much to me like a guy who will need another year before going pro if he continues to improve through the rest of the season. (Again, though, I don't have much perspective, considering virtually all of my experience with basketball comes from following Auburn, rather than tracking future NBA players or watching NBA games.)

I mean its not a forgone conclusion like it is with Jabari. I think Flan is ranked somewhere around top 30 NBA draft prospects. So that would make him a fringe first round player. If he stays at that ranking then its very likely he goes. If he struggles coming back from the injury (this does not appear to be the case) and he could slides down some and maybe that means he comes back to get back in the first round discussion. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I mean its not a forgone conclusion like it is with Jabari. I think Flan is ranked somewhere around top 30 NBA draft prospects. So that would make him a fringe first round player. If he stays at that ranking then its very likely he goes. If he struggles coming back from the injury (this does not appear to be the case) and he could slides down some and maybe that means he comes back to get back in the first round discussion. 

I thought he was borderline first round last year and decided to come back to try to play his way into the lottery? I mean, did he not move up in pecking order when most of the players ahead of him were drafted last summer? I realize there are the college freshmen/G-Leaguers who automatically jump ahead of him, like Jabari and Chet Holmgren, but I would have thought that he still would have moved up to lottery level to start the season. 

So my question is, did the scooter injury push him down the board some and now he has to play his way back up, are there that many newcomers to leave him where he was, or am I mistaken about where he was projected to go last year, had he left early?

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

I thought he was borderline first round last year and decided to come back to try to play his way into the lottery? I mean, did he not move up in pecking order when most of the players ahead of him were drafted last summer? I realize there are the college freshmen/G-Leaguers who automatically jump ahead of him, like Jabari and Chet Holmgren, but I would have thought that he still would have moved up to lottery level to start the season. 

So my question is, did the scooter injury push him down the board some and now he has to play his way back up, are there that many newcomers to leave him where he was, or am I mistaken about where he was projected to go last year, had he left early?

I don't think he was ranked that high at the end of last season. I think he is projected as a fringe first round product based on everyone expecting continued improvement in his game over the course of this season. So last year people may have been talking about him as a potential first rounder in this years draft....if that makes sense.

With that said i don't claim to know what Flanigan's goals are for himself and what criteria he'll use for making the decision to go pro. If being a top 30 ranked player is good enough or if he wants to climb higher than that before going pro. Its just my opinion that if he stays ranked in the top 30 that he'll go pro. I don't think he has lottery type potential but Flan could prove me wrong on that...... 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

instead of waiting for the next big thing, let’s celebrate these kids that are already deciding to come! This dude projects as another Scottie Barnes that can do everything for you 1-3 (Barnes has the 4/5 too but he’s just built different). Can’t wait to see the facilitating part of his game blossom 

Wherever his left hand is in that picture, she ain't hatin' it.

• Haha 4

45 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I don't think he was ranked that high at the end of last season. I think he is projected as a fringe first round product based on everyone expecting continued improvement in his game over the course of this season. So last year people may have been talking about him as a potential first rounder in this years draft....if that makes sense.

With that said i don't claim to know what Flanigan's goals are for himself and what criteria he'll use for making the decision to go pro. If being a top 30 ranked player is good enough or if he wants to climb higher than that before going pro. Its just my opinion that if he stays ranked in the top 30 that he'll go pro. I don't think he has lottery type potential but Flan could prove me wrong on that...... 

I Agree with this post.

I never thought Flanigan was ever going to be in the first round, unless he improved so much more in his shooting.

He's definitely 2nd round, and as long as he doesn't reinjure his foot, and he has a solid year shooting, he isn't going to bank on staying to imrpove his draft stock into the big money slots.

He'll go pro if all this happens....

On 1/4/2022 at 10:15 AM, gravejd said:

he was projected late first rounder towards the end of our OoC stretch last season. It was a bit rocky for the team and him after that point. I think he runs into bad luck more than just being unable to give enough tape to rise past that ceiling. But I’d agree that the best version of him doesn’t appear to be one of the 14 best players, but I also think he still has some room to grow 

Just my op, but I think last year showed scouts what they’re gonna see in terms of him as an offensive initiator. This season would serve well to show how he can be as a complementary piece. Off ball shooter, cutting off the ball, etc. I’d think it’s almost an absolute whoever drafts him will be doing so thinking he’s a 3 and D guy and a tertiary ball handler at best 

• Like 1