2022 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

On 12/28/2021 at 12:24 PM, Dunndone414 said:

Based on Bruce’s Twitter it seems likely we are pursuing Wesley Yates (SG) out of Texas, #34 overall in the 2023 class. 

JLee says a top 2023 SG from Texas is visiting for the Kentucky game. Sounds like Yates. (Article is paywalled.) 

On 1/5/2022 at 11:40 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Just my op, but I think last year showed scouts what they’re gonna see in terms of him as an offensive initiator. This season would serve well to show how he can be as a complementary piece. Off ball shooter, cutting off the ball, etc. I’d think it’s almost an absolute whoever drafts him will be doing so thinking he’s a 3 and D guy and a tertiary ball handler at best 

That makes a great deal of sense, considering it sounds like he's going to be more a complimentary type piece in the NBA.

And, dang, I'm *really* going to have to start paying attention to the NBA more now with all these Auburn guys ascending to different roles throughout the league.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2022 at 4:59 PM, Dunndone414 said:

Jonathan Wasserman’s mock draft out today has Kessler knocking on the door of the first round, at #34. Allen at #45, Jabari at #2.

Yeah, if Walker keeps playing at the level he has been, I can't see him not leaving after this year. I was holding out a slim bit of hope that he might play a second year at Auburn, but really the only thing it seems he could add to his game at this point is being consistent from behind the 3 point line, and, while, again, I'm an amateur when it comes to judging talent for the NBA, I just can't see that aspect of the game being essential to get a 7'1 rim protector who is also outstanding offensively into the first round.

I know you guys have said Flan's peak position is more late first round, but does Kessler have the potential to slide into the lottery without developing a 3 point stroke?

59 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Yeah, if Walker keeps playing at the level he has been, I can't see him not leaving after this year. I was holding out a slim bit of hope that he might play a second year at Auburn, but really the only thing it seems he could add to his game at this point is being consistent from behind the 3 point line, and, while, again, I'm an amateur when it comes to judging talent for the NBA, I just can't see that aspect of the game being essential to get a 7'1 rim protector who is also outstanding offensively into the first round.

I know you guys have said Flan's peak position is more late first round, but does Kessler have the potential to slide into the lottery without developing a 3 point stroke?

I need to see Kessler play against dominant big men to see if he can keep them out of the paint and not get into foul trouble. If he can hold his own down low while still protecting the rim against players driving into the paint he has a bright NBA future but I can't see him going any better then late 1st round right now. I really think he is a 2nd round type player at this time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

That makes a great deal of sense, considering it sounds like he's going to be more a complimentary type piece in the NBA.

And, dang, I'm *really* going to have to start paying attention to the NBA more now with all these Auburn guys ascending to different roles throughout the league.

I’ve been trying to think on my own nba pitch to my gma, who like many Auburn fans, don’t really care about pro ball outside of a few big events. I think it’s a beautiful game and if you can just find a personality to latch onto, you’ll see that 

Thats really the value of Jabari to this program, hell be that bridge for many folks 

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Pretty much everything AnT said. He’s looked really good against centers that haven’t made him work and allowed him to just play this “free safety”/rover type role in the paint. It was VERY early and he has improved, but Sanogo gave him a very rough time like Castleton did last night. He has a real tendency to pursue blocks over just straight up defending, and that’s gonna lend itself to some of the bad fouls, like the one he fouled out on last night

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t know how much he’ll have the ball in his hands with how younger guards typically play the back with Auburn, but dude seems as good as advertised with his facilitating chops (at least in this clip) 

That camera work tho 😄

• Haha 1

On 1/12/2022 at 10:41 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don’t know how much he’ll have the ball in his hands with how younger guards typically play the back with Auburn, but dude seems as good as advertised with his facilitating chops (at least in this clip) 

It is a short clip but looks like a true PG who looks to setup teammates but also has a sweet 3 point shot, good ball handling skills in a crowd and can finish near the rim. Also solid body and good height for a PG.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It is a short clip but looks like a true PG who looks to setup teammates but also has a sweet 3 point shot, good ball handling skills in a crowd and can finish near the rim. Also solid body and good height for a PG.

Yeah he also played (and was offered) at safety I believe, so it kinda reinforces those traits. Breaking down the opponent, trying to act before they even get set, etc

Really wish we could have gotten TyTy. Love the team we have but to think we were in it for that guy... wow.

16 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Really wish we could have gotten TyTy. Love the team we have but to think we were in it for that guy... wow.

Yeah that one hurts a ton. Dude is a gamer. Losing out on Trey Alexander to try to pursue him and then not getting him made it worse lol 

• Like 2

On 1/17/2022 at 4:32 AM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yeah that one hurts a ton. Dude is a gamer. Losing out on Trey Alexander to try to pursue him and then not getting him made it worse lol 

Remind me where Trey ended up and how is he doing this season? Anyone know?

4 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Remind me where Trey ended up and how is he doing this season? Anyone know?

He is on an 11-5 Creighton team.   He is playing about 20 minutes per game and averaging 5 pts.  His 3pt % in under 30%.

• Like 1

Thanks.  Appreciate the info guys.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

Does anyone know if there were any recruits at the game today?

I think it was mentioned above they thought Wesley Yates SG from Texas was going to be there. Plus any player who watched it on TV had to be impressed both by the team and the Jungle. 

42 minutes ago, Ausburn2 said:

Too much PBR from yesterday?  Your fingers are still slurring.

What do you mean, yesterday?

• Haha 1