2022 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

19 hours ago, roe4christ said:

This and getting the Allen Flanigan from last year.  😲  Watch out!

Flan is already getting back into game shape. He's not quite there yet, but I fully expect him to be by SEC Tourney time, while I don't expect Jabari to have figured out how good he can be because he can be *so* good.

That's not to say we aren't going to see Jabari figure out some of how good he can be, because we will. More importantly, even if we *just* stay on the trajectory we're on, we're one of the 3 best teams in college basketball, no questions asked, and far more than just a legitimate threat to win it all. What I was saying is that if Jabari figures it out ahead of time, THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE TEAM IN THIS COUNTRY (except maybe the Phoenix Suns) THAT CAN BEAT US without a ton of luck.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

No we couldn't. We'll still have Dylan Cardwell and Jaylin Williams even if both of the starters down low leave, and they're pretty danged good. Now, we won't have backups to sub in like this year, probably, if both guys leave (though it's not impossible that Bruce could pull a rabbit out of his hat), but even as is, we're at least a Tournament team next season, too, barring injury.

Maybe “serious trouble” was strong, but we absolutely aren’t winning the SEC with those two guys as the starters. (And I love them, to be clear.)  I think Bruce will go to the portal for 1-2 bigs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Dunndone414 said:

Maybe “serious trouble” was strong, but we absolutely aren’t winning the SEC with those two guys as the starters. (And I love them, to be clear.)  I think Bruce will go to the portal for 1-2 bigs. 

Well, I wouldn't count out winning the SEC Tournament, at least, because we'll still be good enough to get hot at the right time and knock off all comers (might take a little luck, but it could happen).

Also, we'd still be a pretty tough out as long as we get at least one more quality big, even if Cardwell and Williams are the starters and he comes off the bench. Jaylin is, IMHO, easily the best backup 4 in the country right now. I would even venture to say there aren't more than 10-15 teams he wouldn't be a starter for. And Cardwell's energy is contagious.

However, you are almost certainly correct that we won't be winning the SEC with just the roster we've got minus Jabari, Kessler, and Flan.

• Like 1

If Flan is not back to the type of player he was last year I wonder if he would play one more year to get his draft stock back up. If so that would be a boost for next years team. Assuming we sign Westry and Ja'Kobe Walter we would still be in the need for backup big men. Cardwell will be better next year but I worry about foul trouble because of his energy.

The thing is Bruce has shown he can adjust his offense and defense based on the talent he has.  I would also expect to see more of Moore who I think has looked pretty good in limited minutes.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LPTiger said:

Z, the words "not even close" are subjective so we can't define what they mean.  I think about it from the perspective of a recruit who is only 16, 17 years old.  They don't know Rupp. They can be told about UK's "history," but I question how much it matters to them because they haven't lived it.   I would think the last 5 years might be more impactful.  In that short time period we have held our own with Kentucky (aren't we 5-5).  I don't pretend that we are there yet, but I would argue we are "closer" than "not even close," however that might be measured, at least in the eyes of young recruits.   

Well it’s all subjective. Your rankings may differ from mine, and we may differ from Jabari and other top recruits. I think they’re looking at facilities and commitment the school is making to basketball versus other sports. As well as the ability to get them to the NBA. Right now, we’re sharing practice facilities with volleyball. We’re improving rapidly, but I’m just trying to be realistic with where we are compared to the blue bloods. 

On 1/28/2022 at 2:24 PM, Rednilla said:

Flan is already getting back into game shape. He's not quite there yet, but I fully expect him to be by SEC Tourney time, while I don't expect Jabari to have figured out how good he can be because he can be *so* good.

That's not to say we aren't going to see Jabari figure out some of how good he can be, because we will. More importantly, even if we *just* stay on the trajectory we're on, we're one of the 3 best teams in college basketball, no questions asked, and far more than just a legitimate threat to win it all. What I was saying is that if Jabari figures it out ahead of time, THERE IS NOT ONE SINGLE TEAM IN THIS COUNTRY (except maybe the Phoenix Suns) THAT CAN BEAT US without a ton of luck.

Every team on our schedule CAN beat us. I suspect Bruce made that clear after Missouri.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Every team on our schedule CAN beat us. I suspect Bruce made that clear after Missouri.

Fair enough, but I prefer to think of that as us beating ourselves.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rednilla said:

WIth our roster and quality depth, you are right, it's a matter of more than one player having an off night for us to get beat.

We need those starters to start playing better that are not...Flan and Green. We can't hope for Devan and KD or Zep to take up the slack every time..

• Like 1

Per ON3, 2023 class 4 star PG Aden Holloway and 4 star 6-foot-7 PF Brandon Gardner will be on visits this week and will attend the Alabama game Tuesday. Holloway is from North Carolina and Gardner is from Georgia. Both hold offers from Auburn.

• Thanks 1

bama shot 59% - you're gonna win just about every game shooting lights out like that.   If we encounter our opponent shooting like that, that is not beating ourselves. 

Now thankfully, we play pretty good defense, so I doubt they go off quite for 59% from the floor. 

Should be a very tight game.  Hopefully I am wrong.

6 hours ago, Rednilla said:

I believe we can beat any team in the country. We can also lose to quite a few of them. Basketball is like that, more than football IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

Geez. Yet again…Will Wade, the upstanding citizen.

We'll still beat their Arse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, dmbseeker00 said:

In today’s (Jan 31) AP poll release, our friend Mr. Jesse Newell has once again dropped AU again to number 7. Behind Kentucky, Baylor, Gonzaga, amongst others. 

Maybe he is just drawing team names out of a hat?

He just basically copies the NET rankings. I have no idea how that ranking system works. The net currently has Houston at #2 even though they have zero Quad 1 wins. We actually have more Quad 1 wins than Houston has Quad 1 AND 2 wins combined. Guessing margin of victory plays heavily into the NET and Houston has to get a lot of bonus points from blowing out bad competition. Terrible way to rank teams IMO

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

He just basically copies the NET rankings. I have no idea how that ranking system works. The net currently has Houston at #2 even though they have zero Quad 1 wins. We actually have more Quad 1 wins than Houston has Quad 1 AND 2 wins combined. Guessing margin of victory plays heavily into the NET and Houston has to get a lot of bonus points from blowing out bad competition. Terrible way to rank teams IMO

And SHOULD spell his doom as a voter, IMHO. That's total crap. If all you're going to do is look at computer rankings, then unless YOU are the one who developed that system, you're not thinking, you're just copying and pasting.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 2:32 PM, Rednilla said:

And SHOULD spell his doom as a voter, IMHO. That's total crap. If all you're going to do is look at computer rankings, then unless YOU are the one who developed that system, you're not thinking, you're just copying and pasting.

Two things:

1 - he is a tool

2- I guess anyone can vote because the man could not build a paper airplane without looking on the net

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2022 at 2:51 PM, cole256 said:

Is there anyway we can recruit Anthony black?

I don't see him leaving the Texas Oklahoma area but it would be a huge pick to get a 6'7" PG who can also be a great SG.  This would be Nirvana as far as I am concerned. I know he just visited Arky so anything is possible but I doubt it. I would bet Bruce and staff have talked with him.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:50 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

I don't see him leaving the Texas Oklahoma area but it would be a huge pick to get a 6'7" PG who can also be a great SG.  This would be Nirvana as far as I am concerned. I know he just visited Arky so anything is possible but I doubt it. I would bet Bruce and staff have talked with him.

Arkansas is still pretty close to the TX/Oklahoma area. Auburn is just about as far as one can go from that area and still be in the SEC. Yes, I realize UF, UGA, and USCe are farther, but proportionally not by much.

On 2/20/2022 at 11:50 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

You talking about perfect.....he would be PERFECT for this offense. Would be amazing

• Like 1

Flanigan seems to be up in the air depend on who opines on his long term prospect here, but if you got 

Wendell/Zep

KD/Tre

Chance/DC

Jaylin/Moore

Cardwell

i wonder what you do there with spot allocation. Even though you have 5 legit ball handlers there and 4 PG options, I don’t think it’d hurt to have another wing. But you NEED another center and it’d be nice to have another 4. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Flanigan seems to be up in the air depend on who opines on his long term prospect here, but if you got 

Wendell/Zep

KD/Tre

Chance/DC

Jaylin/Moore

Cardwell

i wonder what you do there with spot allocation. Even though you have 5 legit ball handlers there and 4 PG options, I don’t think it’d hurt to have another wing. But you NEED another center and it’d be nice to have another 4. 

Not suggesting he is necessarily the answer at center, but what’s going on with Akingbola. Is he redshirting this year?