Jay G. Tate interview on WJOX - New receiver

tinman

Said he expects Auburn to soon sign their best wide receiver (someone who is not yet in the transfer portal) to sign soon.  Even went so far to say this receiver would lead the team in receptions next year.  Would not say who his is or how he got his info but it sounds good for AU if true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, tinman said:

Said he expects Auburn to soon sign their best wide receiver (someone who is not yet in the transfer portal) to sign soon.  Even went so far to say this receiver would lead the team in receptions next year.  Would not say who his is or how he got his info but it sounds good for AU if true.

This has been an infuriating reoccurring storyline for a minute. No one wants to drop the name (which I get if the kid hasn't even told his coaches he's leaving yet or isn't in the portal officially). What makes it annoying is that every Jane Doe wants to pretend like they're "in" on the secret and using it to gain attention some. Lots of vague statements so people can say "I told you so"

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This has been an infuriating reoccurring storyline for a minute. No one wants to drop the name (which I get if the kid hasn't even told his coaches he's leaving yet or isn't in the portal officially). What makes it annoying is that every Jane Doe wants to pretend like they're "in" on the secret and using it to gain attention some. Lots of vague statements so people can say "I told you so"

Honestly, it reads like more of an indictment of our current WR corps than an endorsement of any particular transfer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

i don't get the secrecy at this point either....spring ball is over, portal has blown up, what is left to do?  i really hope our young WR blossom this year with coaching.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Honestly, it reads like more of an indictment of our current WR corps than an endorsement of any particular transfer.

I'd say the indictment is our leading returning WR has like 8 catches in his career.  We have talent, just 0 experience.  We desperately need experience.

53 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I feel like a Mod blasting it out loud on a radio show is at least putting their own name on the line a bit.  I feel like they can't say the WRs name b/c it would blow up the coaches/player.  Hopefully it comes true it'll be interesting to see who that person is, hopefully the S. Alabama kid

Does this sound like it is the WR from a south Alabama college? He hasn't entered the portal. Is a very experienced WR, and wants to play for a P5 team...Can't remember his name.

Certainly this still isn't the rumor of Justyn Ross, which was supposedly put to bed a few weeks ago...

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Just a lack of experience. Capers, Canion, and a few others all have tremendous upside they just don't have the experience you'd like.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Just a lack of experience. Capers, Canion, and a few others all have tremendous upside they just don't have the experience you'd like.

Oh, definitely aware of the lack of experience. I'm just saying that the fact that folks are out there talking about a transfer receiver without giving up a name sounds like they're really just saying that we're going to get somebody and whoever that somebody is is probably going to be the top guy regardless.

Not dogging the players themselves, although freshmen wide receivers do make big impacts fairly regularly and we've even got guys who played a decent amount last year. I was really optimistic about some of these guys but I am less so now. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

Does this sound like it is the WR from a south Alabama college? He hasn't entered the portal. Is a very experienced WR, and wants to play for a P5 team...Can't remember his name.

Seems so, Jalen Tolbert.  If you're a kid at a smaller non-P5 school, I'm not sure why you wouldn't transfer to a better school and show off your talents

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, definitely aware of the lack of experience. I'm just saying that the fact that folks are out there talking about a transfer receiver without giving up a name sounds like they're really just saying that we're going to get somebody and whoever that somebody is is probably going to be the top guy regardless.

Not dogging the players themselves, although freshmen wide receivers do make big impacts fairly regularly and we've even got guys who played a decent amount last year. I was really optimistic about some of these guys but I am less so now. 

Yeah same with OT.

This thread is why I quit paying Rivals and Undercover. It’s based on teaser info of a big announcement soon, which when the event happens I get the same info via a free source about 30 minutes later. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

This thread is why I quit paying Rivals and Undercover. It’s based on teaser info of a big announcement soon, which when the event happens I get the same info via a free source about 30 minutes later. 

Yup, and if you're on Twitter just follow two or three of the right people and get the same info for free. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tinman said:

Even went so far to say this receiver would lead the team in receptions next year. 

Yeah, but the important thing is, can he block?

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, oracle79 said:

Yeah, but the important thing is, can he block?

Wrong coaching tree! 😝 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I agree. I'm pretty high on canion. Things I've heard he's going to be a player

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I agree. I'm pretty high on canion. Things I've heard he's going to be a player

Dude, I didn't realize how young he is. And already 6'4 215ish with wheels. Fingers crossed he's got some dog to him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Dude, I didn't realize how young he is. And already 6'4 215ish with wheels. Fingers crossed he's got some dog to him. 

Yeah, I wish I could see him hoop. If he can hoop a certain way I can 90% tell if they are going to be successful

• Like 2

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah, I wish I could see him hoop. If he can hoop a certain way I can 90% tell if they are going to be successful

That’s so true. 

Feels like a step down from the SA kid. Maybe a good possession type WR? 

Lot to like about this kid, but he doesn’t fit the Seth Williams type of receiver. This would take snaps away from JJ. 

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Feels like a step down from the SA kid. Maybe a good possession type WR? 

On the upside, we'd get a great joke setup when counting his catches...

• Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

If you cant tell by now that Canion is going to be a player then something is wrong with you. He's got the hands of Seth and the speed of Slayton. We should try to get Geiger and another developed receiver with some length. This would give our younger receivers another year to develope in a real collegiate passing game.