Jay G. Tate interview on WJOX - New receiver

tinman

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, he's an elite blocker just haven't seen him used much as a receiver.  I was hoping he'd be the guy separating himself, but maybe that was Fromm.  I didn't expect much from him

Well, they did target him in the A-day game, going up the side-line after faking a WR screen. Unfortunately, he was held by Kamal Hadden, so we didn't get to see him attempt the catch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, he's an elite blocker just haven't seen him used much as a receiver.  I was hoping he'd be the guy separating himself, but maybe that was Fromm.  I didn't expect much from him

I think Fromm is the better receiver, but Deal is the better blocker. I think Deal is a good receiver, but Fromm can do more things in the passing game I heard, and saw on his film from HS...

I'm not sure anyone knows exactly who will "emerge" out of that TE group, but expect a huge uptick in targets/production from that position. I've also heard that Landen King has impressed.

11 minutes ago, metafour said:

I'm not sure anyone knows exactly who will "emerge" out of that TE group, but expect a huge uptick in targets/production from that position. I've also heard that Landen King has impressed.

I heard that about King, too, but if I remember right he dropped two balls (insert joke here) during A-Day. Hopefully just jitters.

2 hours ago, metafour said:

I've also heard that Landen King has impressed.

Me too

I don't see how on earth you guys think you can evaluate these young wr's when they played in a simple offense where they pretty much ran type specific routes;

They had a QB that isn't the best passer and also wasn't the best at going thru his progressions

And we didn't play our young guys all that much and then they did play there was like a 3 percent chance that the ball would come anywhere near them.

It's entirely feasible the best wr out of the group could have dropped the one pass attempt he had and everybody come to the conclusion that he has horrible hands. 

You can't know how good a wr is until you see him. And Seth Williams is a great example of how bad the rumors are when it comes to attributes and such.

This is real life not Madden or EA shorts just because a guy is tall doesn't make him slow, just because a guy is small and in the slot doesn't make him an excellent route runner or excellent catcher.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, cole256 said:

I don't see how on earth you guys think you can evaluate these young wr's when they played in a simple offense where they pretty much ran type specific routes;

They had a QB that isn't the best passer and also wasn't the best at going thru his progressions

And we didn't play our young guys all that much and then they did play there was like a 3 percent chance that the ball would come anywhere near them.

It's entirely feasible the best wr out of the group could have dropped the one pass attempt he had and everybody come to the conclusion that he has horrible hands. 

You can't know how good a wr is until you see him. And Seth Williams is a great example of how bad the rumors are when it comes to attributes and such.

This is real life not Madden or EA shorts just because a guy is tall doesn't make him slow, just because a guy is small and in the slot doesn't make him an excellent route runner or excellent catcher.

I'm not sure anyone has said Kobe has horrible hands, there just have been reports he is a bit inconsistent. He split time at QB /WR in HS so he's learning the position still.  He's clearly a great athlete. 

I think overwhelmingly everyome ITT loves all our young WRs. We just don't have anyone with any real experience, as you alluded too. 

So why not grab a kid who would have been a kid round draft pick and will be an immediate improvement with a ton of experience?

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm not sure anyone has said Kobe has horrible hands, there just have been reports he is a bit inconsistent. He split time at QB /WR in HS so he's learning the position still.  He's clearly a great athlete. 

I think overwhelmingly everyome ITT loves all our young WRs. We just don't have anyone with any real experience, as you alluded too. 

So why not grab a kid who would have been a kid round draft pick and will be an immediate improvement with a ton of experience?

I didn't mention Kobe. I, like all of you if everybody was to be honest don't know who is good and who isn't because we don't have any real evidence too go off of. And that's my point, nobody knows the difference between one guy or the next.

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I didn't mention Kobe. I, like all of you if everybody was to be honest don't know who is good and who isn't because we don't have any real evidence too go off of. And that's my point, nobody knows the difference between one guy or the next.

I don't think, they are saying they are not good talent wise, but more towards they are not experience wise, bc of Gus' offense and lack of complex passing tree, and route running. As they were behind 3 experienced WRs, and didn't see much playing time, they are just an unknown, bc you really don't have enough film on them.

And from what we heard from spring practice and the game, they made mistakes not knowing the more complex plays Harsin was calling in the game...

So, I think you will agree, we need an experienced WR to come in that played in a more diverse passing offense, that probably can come in and pick up Harsin's offense pretty quick, and knowing how good their skills all ready are, can provide instant help to the passing offense...

I think we all can agree, we have no clue how good our current group of WRs will do...

• Like 1

I wouldn't care if they brought in a guy who haven't ever played before if he was better than everybody else then he should play. I'm not arguing aboutanybody coming in.

People did in this thread gave out individual analysis of a few wr's and nobody has seen enough to be able to do that accurately. 

My point is nobody really knows if we're hurting in talent or not. Nobody don't know anything about where these guys are at because if any position was held back it's this one. This group wasn't optimized like most of their peers through out college football.

Your first and last paragraphs in your quote are everything that I said.  We're really in wait and see mode and are hoping every guy can realize their potential

Edited by cole256
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I don't think, they are saying they are not good talent wise, but more towards they are not experience wise, bc of Gus' offense and lack of complex passing tree, and route running. As they were behind 3 experienced WRs, and didn't see much playing time, they are just an unknown, bc you really don't have enough film on them.

And from what we heard from spring practice and the game, they made mistakes not knowing the more complex plays Harsin was calling in the game...

So, I think you will agree, we need an experienced WR to come in that played in a more diverse passing offense, that probably can come in and pick up Harsin's offense pretty quick, and knowing how good their skills all ready are, can provide instant help to the passing offense...

I think we all can agree, we have no clue how good our current group of WRs will do...

I think you are mostly correct. As far as not knowing the plays they have all summer to get more familiar than they can in the spring. I expect better route running once fall camp begins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

Well the only person who has dropped a pass thst we've seen is Kobe, so idk. 

I get that we don't have as much evidence as coaches, but I'm not sure anyone has said anyone is bad. If we only talked about football related things where we have as much knowledge as the coaching staff this would be a dead board 

35 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I get that we don't have as much evidence as coaches, but I'm not sure anyone has said anyone is bad. If we only talked about football related things where we have as much knowledge as the coaching staff this would be a dead board 

Don't have to know as much as the coaches but if you haven't seen anybody perform you don't have enough to say this guy is good at this, or this guy needs to work at this, or this guy is better than that guy, or this guy needs help.

That's you saying need to know as much as coaches btw

44 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think what he is saying how can anyone base who is a better receiver or better blocker when there is no indication of such to go off. It is not as so much as not being able to talk about . It would be like someone saying i think DD is a better passer or runner when we haven’t seen him in action at all in a real collegiate game. Most of these new guys , we are basing either off the previous bowl game or A day, which hardly tells us anything .

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I think what he is saying how can anyone base who is a better receiver or better blocker when there is no indication of such to go off. It is not as so much as not being able to talk about . It would be like someone saying i think DD is a better passer or runner when we haven’t seen him in action at all in a real collegiate game. Most of these new guys , we are basing either off the previous bowl game or A day, which hardly tells us anything .

I think there is a mix of the little we've seen and projections from recruiting. I'm not sure why people can't hypothesize what a kid might turn into, especially when our entire WR/TE core is a complete unknown. 

I think all our young WRs have a lot of talent, but we have no experience and no one has really down anything yet. Which is why I think most want a Grad transfer type WR. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Don't have to know as much as the coaches but if you haven't seen anybody perform you don't have enough to say this guy is good at this, or this guy needs to work at this, or this guy is better than that guy, or this guy needs help.

That's you saying need to know as much as coaches btw

Feel like most everyone is just assuming how they'll be. Taking a mix of reports, recruiting footage, limited game time, etc. 

We've got an entire crew of WR/TE thst have never done a thing. Feel like most are at least saying this player will be good. 

They aren't legitimately breaking down the player.  Seems the blocking comments were more related to TEs and I thi k we have enough footage of Deal to claim he's a legit blocker 

Edited by W.E.D

I mean, I'd have to imagine Tank was highly thought of on this board and ppl were excited to see him play last year and discussed how good he was before he ever got into a game. 

I wasn't here then, but CFB you constantly have kids who are rising up and haven't played yet and ppl talk about that players skills 

Just now, W.E.D said:

I think there is a mix of the little we've seen and projections from recruiting. I'm not sure why people can't hypothesize what a kid might turn into, especially when our entire WR/TE core is a complete unknown. 

I think all our young WRs have a lot of talent, but we have no experience and no one has really down anything yet. Which is why I think most want a Grad transfer type WR. 

That's fine, and no time did I say it's a problem if anybody wants a transfer.

I'm saying Seth was a great example of how random talk can go. Because it was said that he was slower the their fan base took that to heart then two years later everybody was surprised that he actually ran a 4.4 or 4.5 whatever he ran.

With Willis people just knew how he couldn't throw a football and need to be a safety because v tech offered him. 

But I can't tell anybody what to do, I'm just saying most likely the stuff will be inaccurate

Just now, cole256 said:

That's fine, and no time did I say it's a problem if anybody wants a transfer.

I'm saying Seth was a great example of how random talk can go. Because it was said that he was slower the their fan base took that to heart then two years later everybody was surprised that he actually ran a 4.4 or 4.5 whatever he ran.

With Willis people just knew how he couldn't throw a football and need to be a safety because v tech offered him. 

But I can't tell anybody what to do, I'm just saying most likely the stuff will be inaccurate

I mean I'm not sure the history of the board and don't remember in other boards ppl thinking Seth was slow. Seems your concerns are about what everyone can't do when most here are talking about what they can do. Haven't seen many ppl saying X can do Y. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

This is why I am excited . A lot of talent , a lot of growth and so much opportunity . Honestly this will be a fun season just because the expectations shouldn’t be insane and we will see what we have. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I mean I'm not sure the history of the board and don't remember in other boards ppl thinking Seth was slow. Seems your concerns are about what everyone can't do when most here are talking about what they can do. Haven't seen many ppl saying X can do Y. 

My concerns is you don't know what you are saying when you say a guy is inconsistent.

It was literally in this thread where someone mentioned they thought that about Seth and that's where it was from......but that's not my point. Don't put words in my mouth I meant what I said. 

If you don't want to agree to that ok, that's fine. And after it's all said and done we really don't know where we're at because we only targeted two wr's mostly and they are gone and we didn't get to see many play. Maybe a transfer would help and maybe it wouldn't help at all

And before you reply just already know the reply is ok

Edited by cole256

23 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is why I am excited . A lot of talent , a lot of growth and so much opportunity . Honestly this will be a fun season just because the expectations shouldn’t be insane and we will see what we have. 

Yup WR/TE room is raw & talented af.

Edited by W.E.D

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

My concerns is you don't know what you are saying when you say a guy is inconsistent

I mean that's coming from beat writers and various insiders. That could be wrong. 

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It was literally in this thread where someone mentioned they thought that about Seth and that's where it was from......but that's not my point. Don't put words in my mouth I meant what I said. 

I literally didn't put words in your mouth I just said I didn't see it and wasn't around here. Chill bruh. Damn.

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If you don't want to agree to that ok, that's fine. And after it's all said and done we really don't know where we're at because we only targeted two wr's mostly and they are gone and we didn't get to see many play

Yeah, bud, I agree with you. No one is pigeon holing a kid. Most are just talking on the limited info we go. Our returning leading WR has like 8 catches. We're just talking about the future. Not stating facts. 

19 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And before you reply just already know the reply is ok

LOL, Nah. I'll say what I want. 

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I mean that's coming from beat writers and various insiders. That could be wrong. 

I literally didn't put words in your mouth I just said I didn't see it and wasn't around here. Chill bruh. Damn.

Yeah, bud, I agree with you. No one is pigeon holing a kid. Most are just talking on the limited info we go. Our returning leading WR has like 8 catches. We're just talking about the future. Not stating facts. 

LOL, Nah. I'll say what I want. 

Ok

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1