current state of baseball scholarships

I guess this is somewhat relevant to the scholarship talk since dual sport athletes are walk ons for the baseball team which saves scholarship money for baseball.

With Oregon QB/OF Robby Ashford and Ole Miss QB/WR/OF John Rhys Plumlee entering the transfer portal, former LSU dual sport athlete Maurice Hampton only playing baseball for Samford, Ole Miss RB/OF Jerrion Ealy entering the draft after missing baseball season due to a football injury and Clemson two sport athlete Will Taylor out for baseball season due to a football injury all just coming the last couple months, I'd say all the times dual sport athletes have worked out successfully has a very low rate. For every Kyler Murray/Bo Jackson/Jeff Samardzija, you have a bunch of guys not working out in both sports or you have guys like Adley Rutschmann, Jameis Winston and Austin Mahomes quitting one of the two sports. I can see why Saban isn't too fond of two sport athletes.

Saban is too controlling and uncooperative to allow 2-sport athletes. Lots of schools do allow it though.

I'm wondering if Shenker will be playing baseball this season if he's still eligible. 

28 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Saban is too controlling and uncooperative to allow 2-sport athletes. Lots of schools do allow it though.

I'm wondering if Shenker will be playing baseball this season if he's still eligible. 

Shenker is no longer on the baseball roster according to the team's website now. The team has 45 members now, so there's 5 more cuts left. Wonder if it was because Shenker quit and wanted to focus on football in order to utilize his best chance of making the NFL or if he actually got cut. I think Shenker is eligible for two more seasons for baseball. Also Granzow didn't quite workout in terms of being a dual sport athlete as he tried to walk on the football team.

Edited by warbiscuit

6 hours ago, warbiscuit said:

Shenker is no longer on the baseball roster according to the team's website now. The team has 45 members now, so there's 5 more cuts left. Wonder if it was because Shenker quit and wanted to focus on football in order to utilize his best chance of making the NFL or if he actually got cut. I think Shenker is eligible for two more seasons for baseball. Also Granzow didn't quite workout in terms of being a dual sport athlete as he tried to walk on the football team.

Thanks for the update. I wondered what he would do.....so there's my answer.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:10 PM, warbiscuit said:

I guess this is somewhat relevant to the scholarship talk since dual sport athletes are walk ons for the baseball team which saves scholarship money for baseball.

With Oregon QB/OF Robby Ashford and Ole Miss QB/WR/OF John Rhys Plumlee entering the transfer portal, former LSU dual sport athlete Maurice Hampton only playing baseball for Samford, Ole Miss RB/OF Jerrion Ealy entering the draft after missing baseball season due to a football injury and Clemson two sport athlete Will Taylor out for baseball season due to a football injury all just coming the last couple months, I'd say all the times dual sport athletes have worked out successfully has a very low rate. For every Kyler Murray/Bo Jackson/Jeff Samardzija, you have a bunch of guys not working out in both sports or you have guys like Adley Rutschmann, Jameis Winston and Austin Mahomes quitting one of the two sports. I can see why Saban isn't too fond of two sport athletes.

Plumlee transferred to UCF to play both sports. I guess I forgot to mention this but rumor has it that Josh Hall transferred from Ole Miss because he lost his spot to Plumlee and Ealy due to promises of playing time.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/2022/01/14/alabama-house-considers-repeal-college-athlete-endorsement-nil-law/6529601001/

Alabama legislature is considering to repeal the NIL law that has been more restrictive than NCAA rules on NIL. So hopefully another barrier to overcoming the lottery disadvantage for us.

• Like 2