SOFTBALL Super Regionals 2021

Interesting watching portions of the Super Regionals Thursday night.  First of all the contrast of numbers of fans due to restrictions in California.  The UCLA/Virginia Tech game listed 256 attendance while the LSU/Florida State game listed over 2,000.  Could be all that Cajun food has a protective effect against COVID.  The FSU pitcher, Sandercork (24 – 2) held LSU to 2 hits while Sansuri gave up only 6 hits.  Seminole run came on sacrifice fly in top of 6th inning for only score of game. 

The UCLA/VT game was interesting mainly because I have not followed either team to any extent during this season.   UCLA had 2R-3H-5E compared to VT 7-11-0.  The Virginia Tech pitcher (Rochard, 29 -8) had thrown every inning in the regionals 5 days earlier (344 pitches) and I expect will do the same for this series.  She struck out 12 in this game.  As a side note, Cameron Fagan; sister of the famed  Fagan sisters, had 3 hits and 2 RBI.  She is a freshman infielder.

Their HC, Pete  D’Amour was an assistant/associate HC at Missouri for about 10 years prior to a successful  2 year HC  position at Kennesaw State and now in 3rd year at VT including the 2020 “non-season”.  He has an overall record of .789 at VT.  I really liked their style of play and will enjoy pulling for the underdog in this regional vs UCLA.  Lots of softball to be played this weekend. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Slightly stunned by VT doing that to the mighty Uclans. Guess I could look it up, but did UCLA pitch Garcia? And 5 errors? WTH?

Also just noticed that Georgia shut out Florida on 3 hits.  Didn't know Georgia had that good a pitcher.

Edited by OlderWhiskey

FSU sweeps LSU in extras, 4-3. Fun game to watch. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, autigeremt said:

FSU sweeps LSU in extras, 4-3. Fun game to watch. 

That was a fun game except for the irritating, attention seeking fan behind home plate. I believe he had a relative who played softball at LSU.  He attends many of the LSU sporting events and frequently gets positioned in camera view.  He is a distraction from the vast majority of the well behaved enthusiastic fans in attendance there.

12 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Slightly stunned by VT doing that to the mighty Uclans. Guess I could look it up, but did UCLA pitch Garcia? And 5 errors? WTH?

Also just noticed that Georgia shut out Florida on 3 hits.  Didn't know Georgia had that good a pitcher.

VT played UCLA close in second game loss 2-0.  Agree, the Georgia/Florida outcome was a surprise.  Notice James Madison won in extras over Missouri.  

45 minutes ago, slot canyon said:

Notice James Madison won in extras over Missouri.

Great game if you like pitching and defense. Also noteworthy, Mizzou set a stadium attendance record in this one, over 2,600 IIRC. Social distancing not possible and hardly a mask in sight. It's about time this country got back to normal!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Great game if you like pitching and defense. Also noteworthy, Mizzou set a stadium attendance record in this one, over 2,600 IIRC. Social distancing not possible and hardly a mask in sight. It's about time this country got back to normal!

Agree, I was alluding to that in the OP.  I believe it was in the Georgia vs Florida game that the TV camera crew had on masks in contrast to all the fans and players without face coverings.  

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 5/29/2021 at 7:48 AM, slot canyon said:

That was a fun game except for the irritating, attention seeking fan behind home plate. I believe he had a relative who played softball at LSU.  He attends many of the LSU sporting events and frequently gets positioned in camera view.  He is a distraction from the vast majority of the well behaved enthusiastic fans in attendance there.

That guy drives me crazy.  Most of the time he sits a little down the first base side, but for the SR, he was right behind the plate.  Always shouting and being a typical corndog.  Well JMU has punched their ticket to OKC.  Congrats to the Dukes.  Maybe AD Greene could pick up the phone and work a coach trade with the JMU AD.  ;)

• Like 2

Maybe we should’ve gone after James Madison’s current coach. She just took James Madison to the World Series for the first time ever (something Mickey Dean never did). 

• Like 5

On 5/30/2021 at 8:36 PM, slot canyon said:

Watching the play in Regionals and Super Regionals makes me realize how much we need to improve before we reach that level.  

Absolutely.  Pitching, defense and timely hitting along with productive upperclassmen.  LSU and Mizzou are sitting at home because of breakdowns.  Arky's bats went cold and their defense broke under pressure along with running into the buzz saw of Arizona.  Mike Candreas has been there so many times.  He knows how to prepare a team.  When they came here for the Super Regional, I was impressed how smoothly their infielders fielded balls and threw to first.  Seemed everything was one motion.  Can't believe UGA went to Gainesville and thumped UF.   Should be a great WCWS.    The question is who meets OU in the finals.  They are just so strong and their bracket looks to be a little weaker with JMU, UGA and Okie State.  The other bracket is Alabama, Arizona and UCLA with FSU the dark horse.  Should be good.  My favorite time of the sports year.

Edited by saminbama

I never want to see Bama win Championships, but they are probably the best looking team to unseat Oklahoma.  But with the way the loser of the 1-0 game moves to the other bracket, anyone could meet in finals.  I love that part of the series. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

Anyone but Oklahoma, please!

Anyone but bammer, please! If that mean the Okies that's bad but so be it.

• Like 4

Can 1 player make the difference in 2 teams post season fortunes?  Let's see, 1 team hosts a regional and loses to 2  unseeded teams and is eliminated.  Another team wins its regional and super regional and advances to the WCWS.  Tennessee lost pitcher Caylan Arnold and really missed her as a number 2 pitcher.  She transferred to FSU where she pitched game 2 of the super regional and got the win against LSU to help her team advance to the WCWS.

Interesting?