WCWS 2021

Bama won easily with Fouts against Arizona.  Waiting FSU vs UCLA winner. 

Hope UCLA beats Bama Today.  If not, they only need 1 win to reach Finals. 

4 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Hope UCLA beats Bama Today.  If not, they only need 1 win to reach Finals. 

Well if that other team from across the state will win the Championship... ALL of the SEC teams will get some money and Auburn sure needs it to replenish the coaches buyout account from this year and last.... 😆

Edited by AU1947
  • Like 1

To be honest, I just like to watch good softball and the cream of the crop started rising yesterday.  There are some insane pitchers and power hitters in this series.  

I absolutely loved Auburn's WCWS run a few years ago and I see no reason why we can't be in the mix with the best teams in the country. 

I believe I just witnessed the gutsiest performance by a pitcher I have ever seen.  Kudos to JMU and Odicci  Alexander.  She refused to lose.  What a game.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, saminbama said:

I believe I just witnessed the gutsiest performance by a pitcher I have ever seen.  Kudos to JMU and Odicci  Alexander.  She refused to lose.  What a game.

That play at home to preserve the lead was ridiculous. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Hspoprn said:

Only sport I watch anymore. Hard to say it, but I hope Bammer wins it. As AU1947 said, we need the money.

I don't think the amount of money in question here is even slightly significant in the overall picture of our budget.

I don't want bammer to win anything.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

52 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't think the amount of money in question here is even slightly significant in the overall picture of our budget.

I don't want bammer to win anything.

Normally I agree, but for some strange reason, I don't feel that way about softball.  Anyway, it's going to be hard to beat Bammer as long as Fouts is chunking Perfecto's.  It's hard to score when you don't get anyone on base.  I have to imagine UCLA has never had a perfect game thrown against them.

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

That play at home to preserve the lead was ridiculous. 

What really impressed me was how she recovered and immediately turned her attention to the on field base runners.

• Like 4

So we have winner moves to finals in both brackets Monday.  

5 hours ago, AUBwins said:

So we have winner moves to finals in both brackets Monday.  

And the move of the games to Monday makes it real interesting.  The OU vs JMU outcome didn't surprise me, but the Bammer vs FSU outcome did.  Bammer looked flat on offense and defense.  I didn't think JMU could beat the Sooners 2 in a row.  Now all 4 teams have a chance to rest overnight.  The FSU SS seemed to tweak an old knee injury, so it will be interesting to see how she is after she's cooled down and it had time to stiffen up.  FSU plays tough with their backs to the wall like they did when they won it all a few years ago, so it will be interesting to see if Fouts can continue her dominance.  Let's hope there's no more rain.

• Like 1

The series has proven more interesting than I thought it would.  The play of Alexander for JMU has overshadowed even Fouts' perfect game, but she may regain the spotlight.  I noticed yesterday that Patty has Taylon Snow slapping.  Also pulled her for a PH in the 7th.  Can't imagine that happening to her at Auburn.

2 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

The series has proven more interesting than I thought it would.  The play of Alexander for JMU has overshadowed even Fouts' perfect game, but she may regain the spotlight.  I noticed yesterday that Patty has Taylon Snow slapping.  Also pulled her for a PH in the 7th.  Can't imagine that happening to her at Auburn.

That’s  the second time I saw Taylon PH for in this tournament.   Their bench is so deep they can pick and choose which hitter is a better match up.   Against Georgia Taylon was replaced in the starting lineup.  Gasso said it was because she felt the replacement was a better matchup.   

Bye bye bammer. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Yeah I think Murphy outsmarted himself by not pitching Fouts on Sunday when FSU was tired.  It gave them more time to prepare and game plan.  I also wonder if the team was surprised by that move.  They seemed flat in both games and she was not hitting her spots tonight.  To paraphrase someone reviled by many on this site:  "She went from the Penthouse on Friday to the Outhouse on Monday".  Well we have 2 teams who went through the loser's bracket in the Finals for the first time ever.  Here's to hopefully 3 more nights of softball.

• Like 1

Other than going through losers bracket, I think the results ended up like you could expect once JMU beat OU game 1. You knew OU would come back and probably get to finals (could have seen JMU doing it with the advantage), then coming in feeling like FSU was a dark horse.  They pulled it through.  I think this could be a wonderful final. 

Not sure what happened to Fouts.  Maybe the first batter (Mudge) getting a solid hit unnerved her after the perfect game vs. UCLA.  Mason's 3-run bomb then turns out to be the difference.  I would have walked Hemphill with first base open, though.  I'll be pulling for FSU in the finals, though I don't think their pitching can hold OU down.  I've never thought Arnold was that good.  I expect to see the #1 girl as long as she can hang in there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Not sure what happened to Fouts.  Maybe the first batter (Mudge) getting a solid hit unnerved her after the perfect game vs. UCLA.  Mason's 3-run bomb then turns out to be the difference.  I would have walked Hemphill with first base open, though.  I'll be pulling for FSU in the finals, though I don't think their pitching can hold OU down.  I've never thought Arnold was that good.  I expect to see the #1 girl as long as she can hang in there.

Seems unfair Oklahoma gets to play the WCWS in their back yard.  Appears they call time out during tense moments to allow their players to pour out of the dugout and juice up the fans and intimidate the visiting team.  Guess not much difference than the advantage a home team has in football but they seem to me to be the "bullies" of the softball world.  Can you tell I prefer to cheer for the underdog?  Agree with Whiskey.......not likely FSU can counter the Sooners pitching depth and hitting power throughout the line up.

• Like 3

Slot and OW, I agree 100% with you guys.  OU always has home field advantage being 12 or 13 miles from their campus.  Arnold never impressed me when she was at UT.  Think Gasso plays it like she did against us with Paige Parker.  Starts her #1 in game 1 and her #2 in game 2.  There is speed and power on both teams and both play great defense.  This is a great  matchup for us fans

FSU wins game 1, 8-4. Wow.  They blasted OU early going up 7-0 before the game tightened. OU did not pitch the Ace. 

• Like 2