Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

You don't pay students and tutors for good grades.

So why are we paying the coach such? That is the expectation, correct? Why is he pocketing that if he does not have a single thing to do with it?

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, DAG said:

You are going 0-3 this summer going back to the offensive line discussion.

Only in your dreams. Being a self-proclaimed winner does not make you a winner.

• Haha 1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-athletes-gear-up-for-influx-of-cash-and-pressure-with-name-image-and-likeness-rights-set-to-kick-in/amp/

The quarterback will not be preoccupied. 

"My dad and I had this conversation before I even got to college. I trust him with everything," Graham Mertz said. "'Dad, I'm going to play ball, have fun. I'm going to take care of business on the field. Everything off the field, I'll let you handle it. If you need a yes or no from me, I'll take a couple of seconds to give you a yes or no."

here is another article for some of you who says it will be too much for college athletes to juggle. Reasonably there is no logic to any argument s against this and how it would be detrimental to the student athlete 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DAG said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-athletes-gear-up-for-influx-of-cash-and-pressure-with-name-image-and-likeness-rights-set-to-kick-in/amp/

here is another article for some of you who says it will be too much for college athletes to juggle. Reasonably there is no logic to any argument s against this and how it would be detrimental to the student athlete 

Are you generalizing from the Mertz example?  

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Fantastic.  Good for the players.  Get that money, kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Are you generalizing from the Mertz example?  

Giving an example of how a specific person will handle multitasking as a rebuttal to you guys making up scenarios in your own heads and actually generalizing how it won’t work. The point of debates is to actually have some dosage of reality to reinforce your position. Groundbreaking, I know.

so for example when you guys say how unfair this is going to be for the people who aren’t stars and won’t make money. I add an article about NAIA volleyball player using her platform and completely going against such notion. Once again, groundbreaking I know.

Edited by DAG

21 minutes ago, DAG said:

Giving an example of how a specific person will handle multitasking as a rebuttal to you guys making up scenarios in your own heads and actually generalizing how it won’t work. The point of debates is to actually have some dosage of reality to reinforce your position. Groundbreaking, I know.

so for example when you guys say how unfair this is going to be for the people who aren’t stars and won’t make money. I add an article about NAIA volleyball player using her platform and completely going against such notion. Once again, groundbreaking I know.

The idea that only one player is active on social media is pretty dumb.  About every good looking softball player is on tik tock and they seem to be able to still go to school and play a sport

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

The idea that only one player is active on social media is pretty dumb.  About every good looking softball player is on tik tock and they seem to be able to still go to school and play a sport

Right ? There are so many new way I see these kids promote themselves , it is actually really smart. I have no doubt in my mind these young athletes will find ways to market themselves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Right ? There are so many new way I see these kids promote themselves , it is actually really smart. I have no doubt in my mind these young athletes will find ways to market themselves. 

Yeah and they have a massive demographic.

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Be more precise when making comments like "you guys".  

My position is clear.  Glad they can make $$.  Some will make out like bandits.  Most will not; like any other money making proposition and especially marketing/endorsement deals.  I've been pretty detailed on this point and the categories the athletes will fall into.

The Mertz example is atypical.   He has a full team (a family) to support him.  He has outsourced all maintenance and management of the process to his Dad (former football player and Sales President for his company)....marketing to his sister.  86% of college athletes live below the poverty line...48% in single parent households (an NFL stat)... I suspect college is a littel higher.  6 in 10 black kids in the general populations are in single parent households.  The "average or typical" college kid is not the Mertz family.  

The article recognizes a few key points:

• Their will be a mad rush with all these kids trying to score a deal(s)..."it will be a free for all"...they won't all get one...and companies will quickly learn who's worth spending $$ on and what was wasted.
  • the top 2% of athletes will get big deals...consistent with any other business endeavor or endorsement deal.  Big names will draw big $$ and bigger distractions.
  • The estimate of at least 60% of athletes getting some kind of NIL deal of at leat~$1000 might be right...it seems high.  Why would a company pay sponsorship $$ for a 2nd string DE or OL a backup QB not seeing the field? But, even if it proves accurate, $1000 is hardly transformative and will do little considering a whopping 85% of college athletes are said to live below the poverty line.  

Not many kids will come into this with their own marketing/management team.  The big names will be able to afford to hire someone to manage it...the other won't.  The ROE (return on effort) is likely to be very low for 80% of those involved.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Be more precise when making comments like "you guys".  

YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO MAKE GENERAL COMMENTS.

I am glad you are finally learning how to read articles and have discussion based on reality, not just solely on your opinion.

Thank you for speaking to me about young black males and poverty lines. As a fellow African-American, I am absolutely floored that young men, who come from less than well to do communities, now have the opportunity to make financial gain, in addition to obtaining an education. I for one, have the utmost trust that Auburn University will follow through on their stance to deliver the necessary information and guidance in helping these young men establish themselves within this new climate.

It is interesting now how folks want to speak about SES and low income disparities  all of a sudden now that we have a scenario, where money can change hands LMAO. Let me tell you something and I am going to put this as politely as possible. A big reason I advocate for something like the NIL, is due to the stats you just typed out. It is a sad state of affairs when we have players whom come from below the poverty line , such as Peyton Barber, and they are left with the hard decision to have to go to the pros early and bet on themselves, because momma can't pay the bills back home. So yes, I am well versed in the Graham Mertz of the world. I also can tell how out of touch you are with reality because if it wasn't so, you wouldn't say "1000 dollars is hardly transformative" , when your parents barely can put food on the table back home. 100 dollars can make a difference in some of these young men lives. THIS IS WHY I ADVOCATE. Some of them might not make any money, but that is not the point. IT IS THE FACT THAT NOW EVERYONE AT LEAST HAS AN OPPORTUNITY.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE WHO MAKE GENERAL COMMENTS.

I am glad you are finally learning how to read articles and have discussion based on reality, not just solely on your opinion.

Thank you for speaking to me about young black males and poverty lines. As a fellow African-American, I am absolutely floored that young men, who come from less than well to do communities, now have the opportunity to make financial gain, in addition to obtaining an education. I for one, have the utmost trust that Auburn University will follow through on their stance to deliver the necessary information and guidance in helping these young men establish themselves within this new climate.

It is interesting now how folks want to speak about SES and low income disparities  all of a sudden now that we have a scenario, where money can change hands LMAO. Let me tell you something and I am going to put this as politely as possible. A big reason I advocate for something like the NIL, is due to the stats you just typed out. It is a sad state of affairs when we have players whom come from below the poverty line , such as Peyton Barber, and they are left with the hard decision to have to go to the pros early and bet on themselves, because momma can't pay the bills back home. So yes, I am well versed in the Graham Mertz of the world. I also can tell how out of touch you are with reality because if it wasn't so, you wouldn't say "1000 dollars is hardly transformative" , when your parents barely can put food on the table back home. 100 dollars can make a difference in some of these young men lives. THIS IS WHY I ADVOCATE. Some of them might not make any money, but that is not the point. IT IS THE FACT THAT NOW EVERYONE AT LEAST HAS AN OPPORTUNITY.

You seem like a guy that just likes to piss and moan about even the most reasoned discussions on a topic...even when people agree with the basic premise that everyone should be able to earn.   You seem genuinely unhappy and combative in all your responses.

These kids making money has little to do with what Auburn will or won't do.   It's about whether the athletes have enough value for someone to pay for it.  Some of these kids will make big bucks...for the 50th time; good for them.  Most will not without regard to how much effort they put in...and many will squander the opportunity they do have just like 18-23 year olds have been doing since the dawn of civilization.  NIL or paying athletes for their names is nothing new; just now at the college level....and to a business inclined to pay for athlete endorsements, it's not found money.  Lastly, any endorsement deal has to be weighed against reputational risk as well..  $$ will flood in initially; coming from another part of the budget; and then the pull back will happen when the business gets no value or embarrassed.

The few will get wealthy.  Everyone else will work hard for little/nothing.   The Mertz kid is lucky...talent and a staff...but Auburn won't do what this kids Dad and Sister are doing.  Auburn will only provide the platform.  I hope they all make money...but they won't on endorsements.  The next shoe will have to drop on opening up more earnings avenues before that happens...court battles required.  Unless Congress gets in the way 1st.

This isn't really that hard to figure out.  Stop acting like the economics and human nature don't exist just because college athletes have now been let in the $$ club.    

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

You seem like a guy that just likes to piss and moan about even the most reasoned discussions on a topic...even when people agree with the basic premise that everyone should be able to earn.   You seem genuinely unhappy and combative in all your responses.

These kids making money has little to do with what Auburn will or won't do.   It's about whether the athletes have enough value for someone to pay for it.  Some of these kids will make big bucks...for the 50th time; good for them.  Most will not without regard to how much effort they put in...and many will squander the opportunity they do have just like 18-23 year olds have been doing since the dawn of civilization.  NIL or paying athletes for their names is nothing new; just now at the college level....and to a business inclined to pay for athlete endorsements, it's not found money.  Lastly, any endorsement deal has to be weighed against reputational risk as well..  $$ will flood in initially; coming from another part of the budget; and then the pull back will happen when the business gets no value or embarrassed.

The few will get wealthy.  Everyone else will work hard for little/nothing.   The Mertz kid is lucky...talent and a staff...but Auburn won't do what this kids Dad and Sister are doing.  Auburn will only provide the platform.  I hope they all make money...but they won't on endorsements.  The next shoe will have to drop on opening up more earnings avenues before that happens...court battles required.  Unless Congress gets in the way 1st.

This isn't really that hard to figure out.  Stop acting like the economics and human nature don't exist just because college athletes have now been let in the $$ club.    

And you seem like the guy who to talk slick but then when it dished back at you, you want to act like you aren't on that time. I am really not combative WITH MOST POSTERS ON HERE or unhappy. I just honestly don't care for you or the content of your post so yeah my energy is like that with you. Is that precise enough for you? 

AUBURN WILL PROVIDE THEM A PLATFORM (Let me fix this for you and omit ONLY): No crap. That is all anyone wants and what I said. They also will guide and educate them regarding such climate of the NIL VIA SPIRIT. You would know this if you actually searched for the thread, specifically outlining this program. Oh, I forgot. You couldn't even do that, someone else had to do the leg work and link you to it. What's new? NEXT.

• Auburn Athletics has announced the launch of SPIRIT, a comprehensive Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) program designed to educate and empower student-athletes and prepare them to optimize upcoming NIL opportunities. 
  • Auburn Athletics will assist in the advancement of student-athlete personal brands to optimize opportunities while at Auburn, and beyond.  Auburn's social media accounts will continue to promote student-athletes to boost their following and grow their social presence.  In addition, student-athletes will be armed with social and branding best practices with assistance from industry experts.
  • Enhanced programing with assistance from industry leading experts will be available to all student-athletes on brand management, social media best practices, time management, financial literacy, financial aid and more. 
  • Auburn student-athletes and staff with the resources needed to succeed in the upcoming NIL era.  

So to say that Auburn will have little to do with it is purely based on your opinion, as they are proactively (actively is key word here) are going to empower their players with the assistance of experts in order to optimize as much promotion as possible. You know what that means? If you aren't privy to the information that the Mertz family has nor have the luxury of having a father handle your off the field work, the university is there to assist you for such matters. YOU HAVE RESOURCES AT YOUR DISPOSAL. So is the university going to sit there and hold your hand and manage your social media for you? Probably not and I don't think these "millennials" will need or asking for that. Just like the people in charge are not going to sit there and do your school work for you either. But they will point you into the right directions with help from experts, and be the plug for some connections.

The other stuff you are speaking about is a whole lot of nothing of concern to me at this juncture of the discussion as most of it has already been addressed about 4-6 pages ago by myself and W.E.D. Thanks for enlightening us on some of those key points we acknowledged or said already.

Again, stop acting like you are the beacon of light for understanding the poverty line and single household homes and how it impacts the way these kids think. You think kids from poverty and single homes, who probably had to overcome a many of obstacles in their life, wouldn't have the resiliency to hustle and grind, to find a way to make some money (With free resources), especially if it is for their family, whether it is one dollar or hundredths  of thousands of dollars (You keep mentioning the amount of money, which has no association to any of the things I've posted)? Again, you are out of touch. You are ten steps behind regarding discussing such an intricate topic and based on the content of your past posts, you have zero indications on how marketing works for this age group. You were the same guy bitching about a guy sitting on a throne, right? A concept like that could easily be adapted to merch.  But I'm the one unhappy.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 2

Will college teams benefit with players staying in school an extra year than risking leaving school early now with the new rules?  I suspect that we will see a small decline in early entries into drafts, but not a significant impact.

10 hours ago, japantiger said:

I'm trying to figure out what is the downside that you don't agree with

Will this negate the 85 scholarship limit?

Was thinking that, taken to an extreme, why even have the scholarship limits if a player can make enough to pay for school. If School X can offer this many signed autographs to pay for school, then you have a walk on program bringing in players like the Tide before Schollie limits.

Don;t know the answer.  I fear the worst and believe that AU will not be one of the favored schools in this new arena.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AUGoo said:

Will this negate the 85 scholarship limit?

I don't think this will have anything to do with scholarships. Let it play out my friend. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DAG said:

And you seem like the guy who to talk slick but then when it dished back at you, you want to act like you aren't on that time. I am really not combative WITH MOST POSTERS ON HERE or unhappy. I just honestly don't care for you or the content of your post so yeah my energy is like that with you. Is that precise enough for you? 

AUBURN WILL PROVIDE THEM A PLATFORM (Let me fix this for you and omit ONLY): No crap. That is all anyone wants and what I said. They also will guide and educate them regarding such climate of the NIL VIA SPIRIT. You would know this if you actually searched for the thread, specifically outlining this program. Oh, I forgot. You couldn't even do that, someone else had to do the leg work and link you to it. What's new? NEXT.

• Auburn Athletics has announced the launch of SPIRIT, a comprehensive Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) program designed to educate and empower student-athletes and prepare them to optimize upcoming NIL opportunities. 
  • Auburn Athletics will assist in the advancement of student-athlete personal brands to optimize opportunities while at Auburn, and beyond.  Auburn's social media accounts will continue to promote student-athletes to boost their following and grow their social presence.  In addition, student-athletes will be armed with social and branding best practices with assistance from industry experts.
  • Enhanced programing with assistance from industry leading experts will be available to all student-athletes on brand management, social media best practices, time management, financial literacy, financial aid and more. 
  • Auburn student-athletes and staff with the resources needed to succeed in the upcoming NIL era.  

So to say that Auburn will have little to do with it is purely based on your opinion, as they are proactively (actively is key word here) are going to empower their players with the assistance of experts in order to optimize as much promotion as possible. You know what that means? If you aren't privy to the information that the Mertz family has nor have the luxury of having a father handle your off the field work, the university is there to assist you for such matters. YOU HAVE RESOURCES AT YOUR DISPOSAL. So is the university going to sit there and hold your hand and manage your social media for you? Probably not and I don't think these "millennials" will need or asking for that. Just like the people in charge are not going to sit there and do your school work for you either. But they will point you into the right directions with help from experts, and be the plug for some connections.

The other stuff you are speaking about is a whole lot of nothing of concern to me at this juncture of the discussion as most of it has already been addressed about 4-6 pages ago by myself and W.E.D. Thanks for enlightening us on some of those key points we acknowledged or said already.

Again, stop acting like you are the beacon of light for understanding the poverty line and single household homes and how it impacts the way these kids think. You think kids from poverty and single homes, who probably had to overcome a many of obstacles in their life, wouldn't have the resiliency to hustle and grind, to find a way to make some money (With free resources), especially if it is for their family, whether it is one dollar or hundredths  of thousands of dollars (You keep mentioning the amount of money, which has no association to any of the things I've posted)? Again, you are out of touch. You are ten steps behind regarding discussing such an intricate topic and based on the content of your past posts, you have zero indications on how marketing works for this age group. You were the same guy bitching about a guy sitting on a throne, right? A concept like that could easily be adapted to merch.  But I'm the one unhappy.

Intricate topic?  Wow, I had no idea.  Please educate me based on your vast experience marketing to "this age group" as you say (and just for the record; this is young people/brands marketing to every age group; I'm sure this was just an oversight on your part).  What was your most successful display campaign?  How did you measure the result? CPM? CPC? CPL?  How did you capture the results?  How did you handle SEO aspects; and elaborate on Natural vs Paid...given, as I'm sure your vast experience would indicate you know are both radically different in terms of complexity. management and cost. 

Switching gears, how are you steering your business on how the  the big guys should use Magazine, ROP and RON capability; which companies will spend the most on top college athletes?  Who do you think Bose will go after (as you of course know Boze spends more on athlete endoresement/marketing than any other company today).  Do you think they will engage in ROP or RON?  Or just use OOH and product placement.  Who'll be the first athlete to show up in popular TV shows?  Who are you going after?  What networks will shell out the big $$ (Netflix? Hulu Live? YouTubeTV?).  I'll wait on your "intricate" analysis. 

Hey, one more thing, when I have my my quarterly calls with the Bain and McKinsey marketing teams, I'll share your experience.  I'm sure they'll be all ears on your insights...stay tuned; job offer probably coming your way.  What's your media budget by the way; they'll want to know.

Probably a good thing that we didn't have all this social media when I was your age.  Being young and stupid and having the ability to display it instantly would have been a bad thing.  Seems the biggest difference between then vs now is self awareness.  

• Haha 1

I don't understand the animosity and going at each other on here.

This is off season conversation.  Don't any of us know what is going to happen.  Everything in this thread is speculations and musings.  I don;t get why any of us think our opinions are any more correct than the other.   They're just opinions.  I'm really pretty tired of it.  Can we bring everything down a notch and get away from the name calling and innuendo?

9 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Wow, I had no idea. 

You don't. That is why instead of staying on topic, you either revert to attacking an age group, trying to prove that you swing a big stick, or just plain go on diatribes about things that don't even matter at this point. WHO IS GOING TO SIGN WITH NETFLIX?!

Who gives a crap.

10 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

This is off season conversation.  Don't any of us know what is going to happen.  Everything in this thread is speculations and musings.  I don;t get why any of us think our opinions are any more correct than the other.   They're just opinions.  I'm really pretty tired of it.  Can we bring everything down a notch and get away from the name calling and innuendo?

Good point. I apologize . I want bog down this thread in my petty war with this poster. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2021 at 6:29 PM, aucanucktiger said:

No outlandish, non-student related gifts to attract athletes to your school (court says a "no Lamborghini rule" is okay) but schools CAN offer academics related, non-salary compensation. Read Kavanaughs concurrence - he rips the NCAA a new one. May see non athlete students tuitions increase to pay for athletes, and more borderline pro basketball players staying in collegr another year. Otherwise, the rich in college football will get richer because the ability to compensate (nicer dorm paid for?) goes to the rich. Don't fret, do Michigan or aTm with monster endowments get all the great players now? No, there are still factors other than money.

My son starts Texas A&M in the fall.  I will say this, I was a little disappointed in the student dorms.  I have no idea what the football dorms look like but the student dorms (including the honors ones which my son will be in one, McFadden) seemed old.  All of the ones we saw on our tour were of an older style.  I know obviously the non-athlete is not going to school for perks, like a cool brand new dorm room and amenities the building has , but just thought with the money that A&M has seems like they would have been updated.  I will say this though, the new Engineering building at A&M is unreal.
I know Bama still uses a lot of their older dorms, cough cough Tutwiler (which I think this is the last year for it) which I stayed in as a kid over 30yrs ago for soccer camp.

But back to topic of your post, yes have a feeling the rich get richer.  It is sad at what the average student has to pay but yet the athlete gets access to a free education that most could care less about and don't even show up to class.

Edited by AUfan_UAgrad
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AUGoo said:

I believe japan is mad b/c Auburn nor it's athletes have consulted him on marketing material or strategy.

• Haha 2