Jump to content
Null

Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously


Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

lol

Yay!! I wonder if I get a message too!  Can't wait to hear from this triggered boomer thinking college football is over

@McLoofus

15 hours ago, jluvah said:

Not worth the effort.BTW, not a racist, but I am the other “r” word. A Realist. Oh, and  you hurt my feelings calling me a boomer. Pffft!! You obviously don’t know the value of a free college education for an athlete at Auburn. But then again, an education really isn’t what it’s about for you or these kids, is it?

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites




  • Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP “college” football. It was good while it lasted. Hope these “student athletes “ will at least go to a financial responsibility course and not blow their money on pot, rims, and gold chains

I have read this thread for a day or two and held my tongue. I've tried to see all sides. My sister works for a lawyer, so I know this ruling and NIL is here and it's not going away.  It bothers me th

Post less.

Posted Images

On 7/6/2021 at 2:21 PM, DAG said:

I have to ask but wouldn't this be a pay for play situation? Reading over the bylaws from the NCAA when it comes to NIL

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/NIL/NIL_QandA.pdf

Located on page 2 under question 13 its states: " Individuals and institutions in states with NIL laws or executive actions with the force of law in effect: NCAA rules, including prohibitions on pay-for-play and improper recruiting inducements, remain in effect, but NIL activities protected by state law will not impact eligibility." Some could see this as an improper recruiting inducement. Although, there is so much gray area when it comes to NIL that this could swing either ways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, bootskii said:

I have to ask but wouldn't this be a pay for play situation? Reading over the bylaws from the NCAA when it comes to NIL

https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/ncaa/NIL/NIL_QandA.pdf

Located on page 2 under question 13 its states: " Individuals and institutions in states with NIL laws or executive actions with the force of law in effect: NCAA rules, including prohibitions on pay-for-play and improper recruiting inducements, remain in effect, but NIL activities protected by state law will not impact eligibility." Some could see this as an improper recruiting inducement. Although, there is so much gray area when it comes to NIL that this could swing either ways.

It definitely gives recruits an incentive so to speak but I don’t think he is actually paying them to come play football there. If you do get a scholarship at Miami then you have the opportunity to make money via the NIL.  That is a little different than saying I will pay you to sign at Miami.

Edited by DAG
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DAG said:

It definitely gives recruits an incentive so to speak but I don’t think he is actually paying them to come play football there. If you do get a scholarship at Miami then you have the opportunity to make money via the NIL.  That is a little different than saying I will pay you to sign at Miami.

Splitting hairs at this point

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Splitting hairs at this point

Pretty much. It is a lot of grey, but very strategic. No different than what coaches and organizations done before, it is just now people are upset because money is going into players pockets. Just another strategic move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Pretty much. It is a lot of grey, but very strategic. No different than what coaches and organizations done before, it is just now people are upset because money is going into players pockets. Just another strategic move.

Another question I could throw your way from all the hypotheticals out there could be if a college sports event (football game/basketball/hockey, etc.) is being aired via one of the sports networks and they do a close up on a player could that player in turn go to the sports network and request monetary value for showing his/her face or name on their network? Figured I would ask this since it is bound to come up one way or another. 

Edited by bootskii
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, bootskii said:

Another question I could throw your way from all the hypotheticals out there could be if a college sports event (football game/basketball/hockey, etc.) is being aired via one of the sports networks and they do a close up on a player could that player in turn go to the sports network and request monetary value for showing his/her face or name on their network? Figured I would ask this since it is bound to come up one way or another. 

I doubt that would happen or even be possible, otherwise the pros would've tried that already. LBJ isn't charging ESPN every time they do a close up on him in street clothes.

Edited by DAG
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DAG said:

I doubt that would happen or even be possible, otherwise the pros would've tried that already. LBJ isn't charging ESPN every time they do a close up on him in street clothes.

Figured I would throw that out there. I think why people have such negative connotations to all of this is because of the uncertainty and what comes with that. For me I don't want to see programs turning this into something that isn't purely looking out for the athletes best interest but rather using NIL for their own interest. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, bootskii said:

Figured I would throw that out there. I think why people have such negative connotations to all of this is because of the uncertainty and what comes with that. For me I don't want to see programs turning this into something that isn't purely looking out for the athletes best interest but rather using NIL for their own interest. 

Programs look out for programs. There might be certain individuals who look out for the athlete best interest, but at the end of the day, the program is going to do what is best for the program. For a change, I want the athlete to do what's best for them without compromising their eligibility. I think the biggest concern is for once the programs, the NCAA, and head football coaches have limited to no control over a specific option of the game and for whatever reason, it has a minority of individuals in angst.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bootskii said:

I think why people have such negative connotations to all of this is because of the uncertainty and what comes with that.

Without a doubt. Every single time a big change happens, people say "it's the end of college football". It's silly and ludicrous, of course, but fear of the unknown is powerful.

9 minutes ago, bootskii said:

For me I don't want to see programs turning this into something that isn't purely looking out for the athletes best interest but rather using NIL for their own interest. 

Of course they're going to try to use it for their own interests, just like they have every other angle ever. Sure, there are mostly decent people in the business with real affinity for the athletes, but make no mistake. Every big time program in the country will do their best to exploit this for competitive advantage.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So I wonder what exactly wasn't worth the effort? Weird. I'm sorry I've gotten more private Jluv but fortunately the ignore feature is pretty comprehensive. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

So I wonder what exactly wasn't worth the effort? Weird. I'm sorry I've gotten more private Jluv but fortunately the ignore feature is pretty comprehensive. 

Weird how its just "chains & rims" and no one is crying about Bo blowing his MIlo's money on boat shoes & Vinyard Vines

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/7/2021 at 10:17 PM, augolf1716 said:

Wait till the NIL is used in talking a recruit or transfer to use and come to their program as a walk-on. Said program would have the NIL lined up to cover all costs similar to a scholly. I've heard some schools have already been talking about this 

Cillege football before scholarship limits...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2021 at 6:58 PM, W.E.D said:

Weird how its just "chains & rims" and no one is crying about Bo blowing his MIlo's money on boat shoes & Vinyard Vines

Surprise this thread wasn’t locked after that comment ….

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886rikpo3wpvavor865oe

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DAG said:

Surprise this thread wasn’t locked after that comment ….

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886rikpo3wpvavor865oe

Missed what was locked in the other thread

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Missed what was locked in the other thread

Hey! Me too! Some great discussion going on 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate this p.o.s. thread. It's making me hate my favorite posters. Both sides= the truth is in the middle. It just is. Way too many absolutes going around in here. It's a giant thing that just happened. Anybody who thinks they have all the possibilities worked out in their mind enough to denigrate the other guy is an a**hole.

Edited by jAUSon
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2021 at 6:58 PM, W.E.D said:

Weird how its just "chains & rims" and no one is crying about Bo blowing his MIlo's money on boat shoes & Vinyard Vines

It only gets locked when you point out things that are obvious. It's hilarious

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cole256 said:

It only gets locked when you point out things that are obvious. It's hilarious

cole, we've had a lot of good conversations behind the scenes and I believe you know me better than that.  It got locked to give people a day to cool off, with a plan to open it back up today after people took into consideration what I said on it and how these kinds of topics should be handled in the sports forums.  So don't take passive-aggressive shots at me like this because that was not my motive and I think - or at least hope - you know that.  

As moderators and admins we have to take a lot of things into consideration as to how the board is run, how to handle subjects that generate a lot of heat and vitriol and so on.  Some people come here and spend almost all of their time in the Politics forum.  A whole lot more come here and almost exclusively read and post in the sports forums and frankly (and I get this even though I enjoy a good political or social issue debate) they see sports as an escape.  Every other facet of their lives - their workplaces, their families, their churches, their friends groups -  they are navigating this tightrope or walking on eggshells because of how divided people are and how intense people are about their positions on various hot button topics of the day.  Every TV show they watch, every news outlet feeds this antagonism.  Sports for them is one place where they can just have fun.  They want to talk about play calling, recruiting, blocking and tackling, three point range and zone defense and leave the rest of that stuff behind for a bit.

The compromise we've come to over the years that seems to work best is to give a very open forum for subjects that tend to generate more controversy and deeper disagreements such as politics, theological/religious debate, discussions on race or sexuality, etc., but to leave those subjects out of the regular sports forums as much as possible and keep them in their designated subforums.   It's not a perfect system - because there is no perfect system.  Some will be upset that we don't allow discussions to roam freely wherever they start and others think we ought to shut down the politics and general discussion forums completely and focus only on Auburn sports.  No matter what course we choose, some will be happy and others will be dissatisfied.  We also recognize there are times where it's impossible to separate the two subjects, but I believe that 99% of the time, it can be done.  And for that 1%, we'll give some leeway as long as people can discuss it civilly and intelligently.

We're an unpaid group of volunteers, most of whom are still working full time jobs, that just enjoy the relationships and having a place to talk about Auburn and other things with people we've come to know online over the years.  We think it's a good community worth preserving and helping and we have to make some calls here and there that inevitably make some happy and others unhappy.  We're doing the best we can but talk behind the scenes frequently on what we can do better.  But if the best we can muster right now isn't good enough for some of you and it's just intolerable, I understand and maybe this isn't the place for you.  That's not a threat, it's just a plain, honest statement of the way things are.  If we're consistently not doing things the way you think they should be done and it's too frustrating for you, maybe another board would make you happier.  (I use the "you" here as a generic, plural "you" - not something aimed at cole specifically.)  Don't assume the worst, but if what we're able to do in terms of fostering a community where someone enjoys engaging isn't enough, maybe another community will be.  If you can't find any community that is, there are choices to make:  either start a new one more to your liking, or consider that maybe not all of the problem is outside of you.  Maybe there are things you can do and ways you can change to foster community and feel like you fit better here (or wherever you go).

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

A whole lot more come here and almost exclusively read and post in the sports forums and frankly (and I get this even though I enjoy a good political or social issue debate) they see sports as an escape.  Every other facet of their lives - their workplaces, their families, their churches, their friends groups -  they are navigating this tightrope or walking on eggshells because of how divided people are and how intense people are about their positions on various hot button topics of the day.  Every TV show they watch, every news outlet feeds this antagonism.  Sports for them is one place where they can just have fun.  They want to talk about play calling, recruiting, blocking and tackling, three point range and zone defense and leave the rest of that stuff behind for a bit.

This 100% is me.  I love reading the debates around sports.  I don't care for the any of the other talk.  I get more than enough of that from every day life.  This is my place to come and read/debate about sports and specifically football.  

 

With that being said....  This NIL will be the end of amateur sports.  If the colleges can do it then what is to stop large high schools from doing it.  What is to stop the IMGs of the country from going off and finding the talent earlier and bringing them in for NIL type money?  Just saying this is a slippery slope!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LKEEL75 said:

With that being said....  This NIL will be the end of amateur sports.  If the colleges can do it then what is to stop large high schools from doing it.  What is to stop the IMGs of the country from going off and finding the talent earlier and bringing them in for NIL type money?  Just saying this is a slippery slope!

Correct. By definition, amateur means not paid. One might argue that the scholarships, etc. had already removed the amateur from college athletics, but it's gone for certain now. This will turn into a bidding war for the top talent, there's no avoiding that.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Correct. By definition, amateur means not paid. One might argue that the scholarships, etc. had already removed the amateur from college athletics, but it's gone for certain now. This will turn into a bidding war for the top talent, there's no avoiding that.

I don’t see it much different than it has been, just more open. We (AU) will have to decide to move forward as it changes to stay competitive with the landscape or be willing to accept mediocrity. I for one hope for competitiveness, but it is also not my money as AU gets none of mine only my fandom (which is probably useless to them in this new landscape).

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Correct. By definition, amateur means not paid. One might argue that the scholarships, etc. had already removed the amateur from college athletics, but it's gone for certain now. This will turn into a bidding war for the top talent, there's no avoiding that.

Additionally, CFB has been a long way from amateurism for many years(IMO).

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

I don’t see it much different than it has been, just more open. We (AU) will have to decide to move forward as it changes to stay competitive with the landscape or be willing to accept mediocrity. I for one hope for competitiveness, but it is also not my money as AU gets none of mine only my fandom (which is probably useless to them in this new landscape).

This. It's hilarious how people act like it hasn't already been the same few schools dominating recruiting via finan$ial commitment. But, it's a big change and we know that always brings out the fear of the unknown more than it does logical, sober analysis.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...